• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX News+Updates Thread: Hail To The Kacho!

Shouta

They've gotten better about photoshoping Arinos head on chars but Arino has Diddy and Dixie is a little creepy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
BOZQYCRCAAMQOAP.jpg

I can hear him yelling JA-TAMU at strangers already. I guess this a good place to put the live stream link for the Japan Expo Video Game Stage. He's scheduled to go on tomorrow at 12:45-1:30 Paris time. I hope a recording is easy to find later, since I ain't getting up at 6am. If you see it, tell us what you think...

Video Game Stage live stream
Game Center CX Challenge: Saturday 12:45-1:30pm
(6:45am EST/3:45am PST)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He "played" Mario Kart at Japan Expo, ha.

IMG_20130706_074439.JPG

^ I'd say this photo pretty much sums up Game Center CX.

IMG_20130706_074902.JPG

IMG_20130706_075128.JPG

IMG_20130706_075206.JPG

nullset2

Footage of the Japan Expo event in France has surfaced, uploaded by a SA member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abLwmiJVtgY

Looks like they had one hell of a time!
JE T'AAAAAIMU!

Found another clip, since the previous video cuts off around half of the event. It's about the challenge Arino had against the kid pictured above. A thing of notice is how the little guy is trying to control Super Mario Kart as if it was Mario Kart Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CavpBTenntM

Yeah, there was a handshaking session afterwards too. It was confirmed that they were making a 2-hour special out of all this...which reminds me, there was a DVD set of the USA trip, but still not one for Arino's birthday challenge? I still haven't seen any of that.

I adore how awesome the staff is, that greeting the fans one by one is an activity they always do in this sort of events (granted, it's not a Budokan sort of situation where they'd be unable to do so, and they usually get 200-ish fans on site max...). Can't wait for the special, I love GCCX travel specials to death! I am hoping for the day when I get my picture taken with the Kacho, they should come to the Americas again soon!

And yes, you're right, there don't seem to be any plans for a DVD release of the 40th birthday challenge... but then again, the only live challenge that got one like that was the Lemmings 24h challenge wasn't it? They didn't do one for Quest of Ki or Mighty Bomb Jack I believe. The birthday challenge was super special, though, I'd love to watch it on DVD.

mattiewheels

Yeah, there was a handshaking session afterwards too. It was confirmed that they were making a 2-hour special out of all this...which reminds me, there was a DVD set of the USA trip, but still not one for Arino's birthday challenge? I still haven't seen any of that.

mattiewheels

The Famicom 30th Anniversary Miiverse community is live. Apparently this is where people can send well-wishes during his live challenge on the 18th. I can't access it, no Wii U. If you do have one, give it a try.

Link

I adore how awesome the staff is, that greeting the fans one by one is an activity they always do in this sort of events.

I know, how many shows have such a following that the cameraman is almost as beloved as the star?

zroid

Banned
The Famicom 30th Anniversary Miiverse community is live. Apparently this is where people can send well-wishes during his live challenge on the 18th. I can't access it, no Wii U. If you do have one, give it a try.

Link

This is awesome. Now I have a job to do: Yeah all of Arino's posts!

edit: ah, it's locked to official accounts. I guess we're just supposed to comment.

mattiewheels

This is awesome. Now I have a job to do: Yeah all of Arino's posts!

edit: ah, it's locked to official accounts. I guess we're just supposed to comment.

Oh, I see, you can only comment but not post. I wonder if they'll allow art posts on the night of the challenge.

nullset2

So I've been rewatching GCCX stuff because it's been oh so long since we've had new fansubs for full episodes and I've confirmed the fact that arcade visit segments are one of the strongest, if not the strongest aspect of the show. Therefore, travel specials are complete delicacies for me!

If any of you haven't watched it yet, you're absolutely recommended to watch the GCCX in Asia special. When it has moments like (heavy gifs warning) this and this, and Kibe/Arino get to play playstation and famiclone bootlegs in a little Cambodian store you're sure to have a great time. Just wanted to bring to your collective attention how damn, absolutely good it was.

Man, I want them to visit the east coast of the USA now, and then Latin America. I need to get my Kacho costume ready :<

mattiewheels

I agree, I love travel shows in general and they're so well done on gccx that I'd love to see them try a lot more of them. This show is so great from a preservationist's perspective: documents of these games and arcades that'll probably become very necessary at some point. Hope he can keep going till 60 like he joked about.

mattiewheels

It doesn't help that Arino hates Sega though. lol
I actually wonder why Konami hates GCCX. Either they stopped letting them use their games, or there was a reason for the show to stop playing Konami games altogether.

mattiewheels

newsub.png

RE2- The Genji and the Heike Clans Revenge Challenge

genji.JPG

Original release date: July 21, 2009

Well lookie here, yet another great translation from Kakaricho and Abunai, now rebranded as /VR/ GCCX. The second revenge challenge finally translated, as Arino whips off the cardigan to finish what he started with The Gengi and the Heike Clans. This sub was a group effort from posters on the Game Center CX thread from 4chan's /vr/ forum.

Link

mattiewheels

The soundtrack comes out next week...I see CDJapan has a $5 shipping option, if you don't mind the wait.

And tomorrow is the big Famicom 30th live event, 20:00-22:00 (7-9am EST), followed by the regular episode, then another live show 26:20-27:50 (1:20-2:50pm EST). Still a secret what they'll be playing, but switch your WiiU Miiverse region to check out the community, maybe they'll open it up to submit posts in time for the event.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/warawara/14866558073046144255

miiverse.JPG

nullset2

The soundtrack comes out next week...I see CDJapan has a $5 shipping option, if you don't mind the wait.

Aaaaah! This is great, I really want that CD but I can't import it right now! If only they released the album digitally... it's 2013, why going physical-only, come on!

Otherwise, it's great news that the release is inminent.

Thank you thank you so much for reminding us all that this CD is a thing to come out soon. I made sure to add it to a big order that I'm making from there next week, I'll update you guys on how it sounds!

mattiewheels

The SA team hasn't released a new ep in more than a month, anyone know what's up?
The latest word is that the Mendel Place episode is coming at some point, and that the main translator's busy doing official work for the show (which she said doesn't involve English translation).

...I'm really wondering what these two live challenges tomorrow can entail, since 2 hours a piece is pretty paltry. I mean, aside from bringing Iwata back to have another Balloon Fight duel, not sure what to expect.

mattiewheels

mattiewheels

Thank you thank you so much for reminding us all that this CD is a thing to come out soon. I made sure to add it to a big order that I'm making from there next week, I'll update you guys on how it sounds!
It looks like CDJapan sold out of their first run...that matters because they're putting trading cards in the first shipments that go out. So hopefully you got yours, I checked Amazon and the only shipping choice was $20...pfft.

nullset2

The Famicom 30th Anniversary Live Challenge is on now...

Live stream on Justin.tv!

Daaaang, I presume there's no backup streams available online? I totally missed the event... and there's no way to watch the captured stream again in that channel as far as I see.

Seems to me like it was a fine romp through Megaman 2. I wish I could watch it!

Nice, thanks for the heads up!

Don't worry, the streamer trolled everyone by switching to a comedian... variety show thing anyway.

lol is that so? I'll see how much of the challenge can I catch... It's not like I'm going to be able to understand the most of it anyway hehe.

mattiewheels

Daaaang, I presume there's no backup streams available online? I totally missed the event...
Just subscribe to nigoli2 and ancientcircle on Dailymotion, and you'll always get notified when they put new stuff up. They're both very fast about getting them.

The second live show today was a Super Mario Bros. challenge that I've yet to see anything about, since it aired on what I guess is a pay channel. Twitter was going absolutely nuts towards the end of it though, so maybe it was not so boring.

As far as the hint for next episode's game: "Dragon ___ ___". Hmm.

mattiewheels

newshow1.png

LE6 - Famicom 30th Anniversary Live Challenge (J)

Ca%20%282%29.JPG

No extensions! In this do-or-die 2-hour special, Arino runs the boss gauntlet at the end of Mega Man 2, has some fun with the camera crew, checks in with Kibe in the Miiverse Fax corner, and even gets help from his choice of AD, in Mii form. Quick Man tries especially hard to spoil the occasion, but Arino's rooted on by words of encouragement from fans, and even a well-wishing from Sakurai.

mattiewheels

Pretty funny picture from twitter, he got on!

2013-07-20%2000.11.32.jpg

I guess that's a katakana E tank?

Wehrwolf

Funny that the Rockman 2 and Super Mario Bros 1 live shows were on the same night, considering how different they seemed.

Rockman 2's live show was one of the few times I found anything GCCX related kind of dull (odd considering I've enjoyed all of the Rockman challenges on the show). Other than the Ikesou-kan running joke that still made it worth having seen, not much I can say to recommend it.

Also, it seemed completely not-celebreatory of the 30th anniversary of the Famicom at all, even going so far as to not playing a Famicom game on the Famicom (using the Virtual Console for it).

The 2nd live show of the night (Super Mario Bros), had more laugh-out-loud and exciting moments than any GCCX in recent memory. Even minor touches like having Abe's cooking were cute. Thoroughly enjoyable.

mattiewheels

newshow1.png

LE7 - FujiTV 15th Anniversary Live Challenge (J)

GameCenter%20CX%20-%20Fuji%20OTN%2015th%20Anniversary%20Special%20%28CX%29%5B00-57-14%5D.JPG

...and the Kacho presses on with a second live challenge. It's a triple cooling pad event: a good old fashioned Super Mario Bros. speedrun, as performed by a guy who hates to rush. With less than two hours to clear 8-4, Arino must make use of every trick from his past encounters. Abe (sans apron) provides a lovely noodle dish, Kibe reports with fan greetings from the Fax room, and AD Matsui is forced to stay in character when giving advice.

YouTube

GameCenter%20CX%20-%20Fuji%20OTN%2015th%20Anniversary%20Special%20%28CX%29%5B01-02-39%5D.JPG

GameCenter%20CX%20-%20Fuji%20OTN%2015th%20Anniversary%20Special%20%28CX%29%5B15-17-01%5D.JPG

GameCenter%20CX%20-%20Fuji%20OTN%2015th%20Anniversary%20Special%20%28CX%29%5B15-48-55%5D.JPG

The 2nd live show of the night (Super Mario Bros), had more laugh-out-loud and exciting moments than any GCCX in recent memory. Even minor touches like having Abe's cooking were cute. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Agreed, this one was classic GCCX.

-Mikey-

I'm kinda new to the way this show gets subbed by the community, so the FujiTV live challenge has aired but won't be up on gamingcx / dailymotion for a while?

epmode

It might be a long while considering that some of the most prolific translators are currently working on other projects.

mattiewheels

I'd definitely watch out for the FujiTV special to pop up on Dailymotion in raw form, but yeah it probably won't see a translation for a good while. The best thing about these two live events being short, though, is that it makes them good candidates for getting subbed.

-Mikey-

Bummer! I still have tons and tons of GCCX videos to watch at least. I'm clicking around randomly instead of watching them in order by season. Really enjoying myself so far. :)

It looks like CDJapan sold out of their first run...that matters because they're putting trading cards in the first shipments that go out. So hopefully you got yours, I checked Amazon and the only shipping choice was $20...pfft.

So they're trading cards? I had no clue, thought it would just be some other bonus thing. Good to know!

Now if they would just remove that other CD in my order, then I'd be getting everything by the end of the week rather than next...

mattiewheels

It looks like VR-GCCX is working on the challenge for an old Sunsoft game called Ikki as their next translation. It was another one of those DVD-only segments, these guys are on a roll lately.

mattiewheels

mattiewheels

The only other one I spotted was Arino. Lol at the second pic, poor guy.

And, it begins:

2013-07-25%2006.38.40.jpg

Top Bottom