• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom suggests it could release more $70 games after Dragon’s Dogma 2

dragons-dogma-2-talos-1024x576.jpg

Capcom has suggested that it could release more $70 games after Dragon’s Dogma 2, which is the Japanese publisher’s first title to carry the increased price point.

In a newly published English translation of its latest earnings Q&A session, the company said it was considering reviewing its software pricing strategy following the game’s release next month.

With other companies increasingly pricing games at $70, the Resident Evil and Monster Hunter maker was asked to detail its pricing policy for its next fiscal year, which begins in April.
“Dragon’s Dogma 2, which is scheduled for release this fiscal year, will be priced at $69.99,” Capcom said. “Industry-wide development costs are rising, and we are considering a price review as one option.

“Ultimately, we intend to take a thoughtful approach in pricing our games while ascertaining user feedback.”

While it doesn’t disclose sales targets for individual games, Capcom also said it considers Dragon’s Dogma 2 to “in the million-selling class”.
It wouldn’t be too much of a surprise if Capcom started releasing more $70 titles, given its president reportedly said last September that he believed games should cost more to buy.

“Personally, I feel that game prices are too low,” Haruhiro Tsujimoto said during the Tokyo Game Show, according to Nikkei. “Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES), but the price of software hasn’t risen so much.

“There is also a need to raise wages in order to attract talented people. Given that wages are rising across the industry as a whole, I think the option of raising unit prices is a healthy form of business.”
Like Ubisoft, which released its first $70 game in December in the form of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Capcom is relatively late to the trend of raising software prices during the current console cycle.

In August 2020, Take-Two’s NBA 2K21 became the first current-gen game to be priced at $70. The likes of Activision, Sony, EA, Square Enix, Nintendo and Microsoft have since followed suit..

Gojiira

If game prices go up then I expect MUCH better quality overall, no mtx bullshit,no seasons in a full price game etc, if the price goes up the content had better reflect that.

Juza

The problem is that there is no justification for increasing prices! As a customer, I must receive the additional benefits that justify this increase. We do not find any new features, quite the opposite, games features are declining. We just saw an example of this between Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Skulls & Bones.

The price increase also led many consumers to avoid buying games at launch, which is the most critical selling time for companies. As well as many of consumers became wary about buying games on the day one due to bugs and other issues. Many of them began to wait for the combo (games being fixed + price drop).

They literally turn spontaneous buyers into methodical buyers, and that's not good for game companies.

Ibara

I am ambivalent.
On one hand many games I purchased on release I wish I waited for sales.
Other games like Elden Ring I would have paid $100 and it would have been worth every cent.

Svejk

You're the best Capcom, but let's not be passive aggressive... It's ok. We understand, as long as you keep up the quality.

Cohetedor

They can price it however they want. If the quality is there people will buy it, if not, they will have to lower the price to whatever the market will bear to get sales. Same as any good or service.

bender

What time is it?
I'm fine with games being more expensive, especially if they are not aggressively monetized afterwards.

EDMIX

I don't even need remakes. Just give me Lost Planet port with 120 FPS. I would pay big money for that.

Same.

My god Capcom fucking hate Keiji Inafune lol

No Mega Man Legends collection, no Lost Planet collection.

Hohenheim

They should be more. 80-90 would be fine. These things are expensive to make, and I want the studios to continue making great stuff. Therefore I'd gladly pay full price for the games I want to play. And 70 is NOT much for these huge games.

ahtlas7

If people willing to pay it then they willing to charge 70. Makes proper business sense. At least they are making fun games.

Elysium44

Banned
The problem is that there is no justification for increasing prices! As a customer, I must receive the additional benefits that justify this increase. We do not find any new features, quite the opposite, games features are declining. We just saw an example of this between Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Skulls & Bones.

The price increase also led many consumers to avoid buying games at launch, which is the most critical selling time for companies. As well as many of consumers became wary about buying games on the day one due to bugs and other issues. Many of them began to wait for the combo (games being fixed + price drop).

They literally turn spontaneous buyers into methodical buyers, and that's not good for game companies.

Someone else confused by inflation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I still find it wild that everything else that goes up with inflation, we pay or accept, but with games, people lose their minds when it's one thing that has not risen like 99.9% of all other consumer goods, for decades really.

I just find it fascinating in our hobby, especially when my other one is cars, and modifying them as well as sponsoring, tracking and racing. Which shit went up and everyone accepts as par for the course.

Adjusted for inflation, games are cheaper than ever. But again, understand if one has to pick and choose between necessities and hobby expense.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

I still find it wild that everything else that goes up with inflation, we pay or accept, but with games, people lose their minds when it's one thing that has not risen like 99.9% of all other consumer goods, for decades really.

I just find it fascinating in our hobby, especially when my other one is cars, and modifying them as well as sponsoring, tracking and racing. Which shit went up and everyone accepts as par for the course.

Adjusted for inflation, games are cheaper than ever. But again, understand if one has to pick and choose between necessities and hobby expense.

That's a good point. I think it's a perception error, but then again, if you have less buying power because you have to spend more on groceries etc, you'll think twice about wether or not $70 is a fair price for a game.
Gaming overall is a relatively cheap hobby, I'd argue that most people have to think more about how they spend their money compared to someone who can afford to modify and race cars (not meant as an attack).

Goalus

I remember both Phantasy Star and Ultima 4 on the Sega Master System costing 139 DM in the late eighties. 139 DM translate to 70 EUR even ignoring inflation. Phantasy Star 2 on the Mega Drive was 179 DM or 90 EUR.

I'd say games could cost $99/€99, and they'd still be cheaper than 30 years ago.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Given how all the inferior publishers are already charging $70, why wouldn’t one of the best publishers do the same?

Top Bottom