• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 OS Images Surface

Dead Man

† Tenshi †;72499046 said:
Fh3ro.gif

Or, people have opinions, news at 11. :/

AzaK

If that's legit then vomit burger to the max. I can't understand why most people can't make simple elegant UIs. ,

I really want to smoke whatever some of you people are on.
Interface looks great, there are screenshots with the blue in different shades, so I'd think it could be changed.(even though DAT blue is god tier)
All the social networking stuff looks great, especially the "clusterfuck" of information bits. What's up with all the negativity here?

*starts slow clap*

madmackem

The only things I really don't like are the bright backgrounds for the message boxes (the pink, green, etc.)...hard to read the white text. It'd be nice if we could change the message background colors, but even so, Sony needs to darken those default backgrounds.

Likewise with the overall blue background of the OS UI...I know we can change it obviously, but Sony should still tweak the default one...again just darken it some. (I don't mind the current one too much though.) Many console users are the "plug-n-play" type and won't bother to spend a few minutes obtaining and using a custom background.

I also don't care for the Pinterest-esque random tile sizes on that one screen. That looks lazy and haphazard, and the random sizes will hurt ease of readability and navigability.

Overall though, I think the PS4 OS UI looks decent...although a bit too Metro-ish, and it's still a WIP. I like the XMB, but it was time for a change to something new. Functionality and usability are what really matter in the long run, not aesthetics.

You can darken the ps3 ones and brighten them so i would guess that function is in ps4. Looks nice, i dont get the moaning about colours, anyone thats used ps3 or vita will know you can change pretty much everything so i wouldnt worry. Looks clean and crisp as long as its snappy i dont care what a ui looks like.

madmackem

Since Sony is the "golden child" of the moment with the capacity to do no wrong with the PS4...what if they let us customize our OS experience? Sure its a far shot but stuff like on Windows desktops we could at least customize the theme, sfx and such. And since indies are given such precedence on this console whats the say they won't stop at making just games? I mean they could make apps for the PS4 like make their own live wallpapers or screensavers, icons for the tiles, and sounds. I think the idea would be pretty cool and since the architecture is that of a PC then I don't see why the idea couldn't be at least considered. What do you guys think?

You know you can do this on ps3 right? you can make custom wallpapers also change the look of the xmb menu options and fonts. Id say its a pretty safe bet you can do this on ps4.

tzare

looks like... an OS. It doesn't seem inspired but it doesn't look bad either. I mean, what did people expect? XMB is done, tiles or some kind of icons. AS long as background is modifiable i am okay.

Robbok

Since Sony is the "golden child" of the moment with the capacity to do no wrong with the PS4...what if they let us customize our OS experience? Sure its a far shot but stuff like on Windows desktops we could at least customize the theme, sfx and such. And since indies are given such precedence on this console whats the say they won't stop at making just games? I mean they could make apps for the PS4 like make their own live wallpapers or screensavers, icons for the tiles, and sounds. I think the idea would be pretty cool and since the architecture is that of a PC then I don't see why the idea couldn't be at least considered. What do you guys think?
I'm pretty sure it will be customizable. At least the background color and wallpapers. I bet it will be similar to PS3 where you can buy wallpapers and dynamic designs in the PS store. And I'm sure as well there will be free stuff. (Especially with PS+)

I2amza

I don't know. It looks very busy and not fluid. The section titles being right aligned and everything else being left aligned really makes it hard to the eye. It doesn't follow a normal eye reading pattern imo.

And why do I need my avatar picture so damn big...

Just shove that in a corner somewhere cause once I set it up I don't need to look at it again.

looks like... an OS. It doesn't seem inspired but it doesn't look bad either. I mean, what did people expect? XMB is done, tiles or some kind of icons. AS long as background is modifiable i am okay.

Seriously. "It looks ugly". Ugly how? Compared to what? It's a menu, it's not meant to be fap material. As long as it's fast and functional there's no reason to complain.

tzare

Seriously. "It looks ugly". Ugly how? Compared to what? It's a menu, it's not meant to be fap material. As long as it's fast and functional there's no reason to complain.

Agree. I mean, it is not the best UI out there, but it doesn't look ugly or bad.
It has to be functional, that is the main point of an UI. And then aesthetics will never please everyone. If it is icons people will ask for tiles, if it is tiles people will ask for icons, or some will even ask for XMB or Blades or whatever. The only thing that i would ask, and probably won't be a problem considering previous OS/UI, is being able to change background/colour

DBT85

Sure it's a mock up, but is this fodder for the 7 min vs 15 min recording stuff?

playstation-4_2013_07a6ugb.png

Note the position of the marker indicating 2 min. Based on that measurement extrapolate the rest which seems to match up with 7.

Again, probably a mock up, it could be an early target time and source for the 7 min thing?

There is no 7mins thing. Sony said seven several times that it was 15 mins. DF heard wrong on one recording and ignored a multitude of other instances of Sony saying 15 and instead of checking with Sony, they just ran with it.

Sure it's a mock up, but is this fodder for the 7 min vs 15 min recording stuff?

Note the position of the marker indicating 2 min. Based on that measurement extrapolate the rest which seems to match up with 7.

Again, probably a mock up, it could be an early target time and source for the 7 min thing?

Uhm, it says right there that the video is 15 minutes long.

There is no 7mins thing. Sony said seven several times that it was 15 mins. DF heard wrong on one recording and ignored a multitude of other instances of Sony saying 15 and instead of checking with Sony, they just ran with it.

What he means is that the position of the marker on the video indicates that it isn't 15 minutes long.

HXPE8rT.png

It's a bullshot. It's not 7 minutes but it's a lot closer to that than 15 minutes.

wizzbang

Banned
Not digging the flat coloured rubbish which Google has been doing - one tablet looking page instead of detail.

XMB continues to be the best around, "zoomed out" - see what's 'left, right, above and below' of your menu item with ease, allowing you to predict how many clicks required to get from X to Y and so on. Very very very fast to us UI, which is all I care about.

nib95

Banned

Fuck me the lengths some people go. It says 15mims in the damn time line.

sunnz

Defiantly looks a lot better with a different background, which I hope SONY allows to be customisable as the PS3's one ( dynamic backgrounds, large variety of them etc...)

The blue looks boring.

Fuck me the lengths some people go. It says 15mims in the damn time line.

I know it's going to be 15 minutes. I'm just pointing out that particular image is a bullshot and they should have taken the extra minute to make sure it adds up.

Edit: oh wait, I thought you quote me. nvm :p

nib95

Banned
ibk8dmyTSw9fb6.jpg

ib0hpXF4k3L7BJ.jpg

some more shops of different backgrounds. imo that looks sexy as fuck. i honestly cannot see the big bad thing gaf is making this out to be

It's a slick UI. Blue is a bit much, but others the layout and such is well organised. Both the XO and the PS4 seem to have similar'ish and decent looking UI's imo.

Splint

Im sure we can change the background but I hope it changes the background for the video watching and streaming background areas too. That blue wavy shit is soo 2006 and ugly. Some argue its classy, heh.

Aside from the blue BG, this UI looks great. Especially with "live tiles" where devs can put stuff into each game tile. Itradesting

Goldrusher

Just at a first glance, the XB UI looks more organised and easy to navigate thanks to the category bar at the top. I'm not sure exactly what part of the PS4 UI that is supposed to be -- is it the home? If so, are they really just going to dump *everything* (I can see a web browser and video player there) in one long line of scrolling icons?

That's likely the What's New section, which you have on PS3 as well.
You can find that orange icon under PlayStation Network, go check it out. It will give you a similar view:

xmbwntpunz.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If that's legit then vomit burger to the max. I can't understand why most people can't make simple elegant UIs. ,
There's no UI that's going to enable the ability to sift through hundreds or thousands of entities/assets that's going to come across as utterly simple, or particularly elegant. The only way you're going to get that is by managing your data streams - limit the number of games you have downloaded, limit the number of friends you have online, limit the amount of media streaming/playback you use the system for, etc.

J-Rod

It looks fine to me. I don't know what the big deal is. It has the flat look, but everyone is doing that these days.

I'm stunned that people like this at all. It's just a mess of shit everywhere, no rhyme or reason to any of it. Just boxes of pictures put, what looks like, haphazardly wherever they feel like it.

It's just awful.

And them pushing this real life, anti-anonymous bullshit after getting their security cracked wide open in the past is pretty ridiculous as well.

XMB was my favorite UI mainly for folders. I hope this has the ability for folders. (I felt like I was saying that in the voice of Donkey from Shrek.) Folders are nice.

As for the UI itself, XMB is still my favorite out of all the UI's, followed by the 3DS/Wii for their simplicity. I think the new PS4/XB1 are a step away from simplicity but I have yet to really use it or see it in action so I'll wait for functionality assessment, otherwise looks fine, the social shit looks absolutely terrible.

Do we have 13-19 year-olds much on GAF? Is that something that people do a lot of? "Share" their gaming accomplishments or even with Netflix and shit? I'm 37 and my view is obviously skewed so I don't really know about the younger crowd. It seems that sharing is all over for gaming with FB and shit, but I don't ever see anybody that uses it or screenshots, anything on gaming sites, etc ...

Videos and screenshots, sure, to gaming sites. But the whole FB/Twitter social connection to my gaming hobby doesn't make sense. It's like having my Snowboard pass post a FB status every time I hit the mountain or any time I turn on my RC car it shares it on Twitter ... I don't know, maybe I'm just old.

Top Bottom