• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 OS Images Surface

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And them pushing this real life, anti-anonymous bullshit after getting their security cracked wide open in the past is pretty ridiculous as well.
I'm not sure why you think a security hack matters here - what difference does it make what Sony pushes when they have your real name on file anyway and a security hack would potentially expose that?

If anything, the transparency of using your real name gives a hacker one less thing to try and target you for.

That said, Sony has already stated that you will have the option to use a pseudonym still. But they are encouraging real name use, so it's no surprise these mockups embody that position.

I'm not sure why you think a security hack matters here - what difference does it make what Sony pushes when they have your real name on file anyway and a security hack would potentially expose that?

If anything, the transparency of using your real name gives a hacker one less thing to try and target you for.

That said, Sony has already stated that you will have the option to use a pseudonym still. But they are encouraging real name use, so it's no surprise these mockups embody that position.

lol

More like it gives them a critical piece of information for which they can use on a ton of websites in order to fish for other pieces of Pii which could in turn be used for identity theft.

There's absolutely no reason for them to be pushing it.

lol

More like it gives them a critical piece of information for which they can use on a ton of websites in order to fish for other pieces of Pii which could in turn be used for identity theft.

There's absolutely no reason for them to be pushing it.
Don't use your name.

I won't be, and it's not a big deal in the long run given that it is an option, I just don't agree with Sony pushing it.

Lets get back to the overall UI discussion though before I derail the thread though.

Yeah, we don't want another NSA/Kinect style derail, lol.

Haha, now that's some spin. "It's already out there, no need to hack!".

andycapps

Pour some liquor for my homie XMB

You were the best, bro. I'm gonna miss you.

Me too, I prefer XMB over anything else, but I can see why it doesn't make sense given all the social information they're trying to present. The new interface is fine. All I ask is that it's speedy, functional, and decent looking.

Oppo

I'm stunned that people like this at all. It's just a mess of shit everywhere, no rhyme or reason to any of it. Just boxes of pictures put, what looks like, haphazardly wherever they feel like it.

It's just awful.

It's not random though. Not to be That Guy but do you know anything about layout? If you examine the levels/hierarchy of it, the design is pretty straightforward.

Personally I find it a bit safe but there's nothing really wrong with their approach.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Real names online are not that big of a deal anymore. In case you haven't heard, there is this site out there called Facebook that is pretty popular.

I won't be, and it's not a big deal in the long run given that it is an option, I just don't agree with Sony pushing it.

Lets get back to the overall UI discussion though before I derail the thread though.

Where are they pushing it? I have never heard Sony Pushing it. They have said you can use your full name if you want, that's pushing it? You don't have to. Stop creating issues when there isn't one with using your real name, just don't use you real name...

Interface for the PS4 reminds me so much of the interface of the Xbox One and Windows 8, Netflix, Pinterest, Google Plus......

Everyone complaining about the random sized boxes layout of the PS4 UI seem quick to forget its simply what everyone else is doing, even the competition.

Also, you know you will be able to change the background. You can on PS Vita, you can on PS3. You can even apply the themes on PS3 that change the UI up quite a bit, including all icons and text font. Sony charges for many of the PS 3 themes, why would they pass up that potential revenue?

It's not random though. Not to be That Guy but do you know anything about layout? If you examine the levels/hierarchy of it, the design is pretty straightforward.

Personally I find it a bit safe but there's nothing really wrong with their approach.

I've not done any "professional" layout study course or anything, but this:

playstation-4_2013_076yuc5.png

Looks terrible. The levels of each box aren't lined up to each other in any way. At first they kinda look like they might, but they don't. It's sloppy looking. It looks like what Facebook looks like on a PC, and it's awful.

However, those shopped Watchdog parts of the layout do look good. It's not every page, but it's a lot of them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Haha, now that's some spin. "It's already out there, no need to hack!".
I'm not trying to spin it. It's spin to portray a pseudonym as any kind of valid security measure. It's a placebo.

If that's just the way you prefer to interact with online acquaintances, fine and dandy, but let's not try to equate it with real security.

Which they're going to get anyway in an actual security hack, much more easily than anything else they might be trying to get since it's probably not protected the same way your password or CC# should be.

Not to mention being able to get your real name from any number of other public sources.

I wish they made this like how it looks on Myspace. I think the Horizontal layout like such.....

New-myspace-wall.png

....would look better. I like how the font looks and how the the updates are less intrusive. I think the blue is what really makes it look uglier than it seems. That blue is just ugh...I hate it. Everything looks so cramped in that space. They should stretch it out more and use more of that space that's just sitting there

PerZona

Don't think Sony should use that blue color as the background for the UI, but I'm pretty sure that you can change the color and have different themes as well.

And the design looks ok to me, don't really bother much since most of the time I would be playing my games on the system and not starting at the UI.

see5harp

I don't love what I see, but I'm not sure I want the same old XMB either. If they added stuff like an overlay menu, the ability to search, and an integrated storefront then I'd probably be alright with it. I could have sworn the whole facebook wall of posts thing was just a submenu within the standard UI (like a "what's new" feed).

KlotePino

I like it...but I really like blue so I'm probably a little biased. Hopefully you can change colours for all you non-blue lovers out here.

Sony repeatedly mentioned personalization as one of their goals with PS4, so I think it's safe to assume you will be able to change the colors, backgrounds, etc.

KAL2006

Banned
I like their philosophy
Simple
Social
Imediate

Yes the Blue color makes it look bland I am sure it is customizable. But it seems the interface is great with tons of functionality as well as fast and easy to use. You have the messy homepage with tons of random boxes, but this is perfect to feed you all the latest news such as new stuff at the store, advert such as new demo or trailer, friends shared video or trophy and etc. Think of it as a Facebook feed of not just your friends but everything.

The games/app screen is the main screen after the home screen. Here you can select your game, but the great thing is you can see friends activity in game, shared videos, new PSN store content, leader boards, announcements and etc without the need to start a game, each game slate has all the things I mentioned and it is up to the developer to add event more things if they want. At the top of this screen your main icons like friends, PSN store and etc, what is cool is there is a announcement text at the top for any recent things that happen, say someone invites you to a game, you simply click on announcement and you will go straight to matchmaking.

Read part 9
http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/15/ps4-develop-2013-playstation-sony

pelican

One thing concerns me. The emphasis on Facebook integration.

I can't be the only one who wants to keep Facebook and PS4 separate, can I? None of my "real life" friends are really into gaming, plus I don't really want to be making my Facebook page and real name public via my PS4 profile.

Surely there must be away to have a vibrant friends list without all the Facebook social integration.

patsu

One thing concerns me. The emphasis on Facebook integration.

I can't be the only one who wants to keep Facebook and PS4 separate, can I? None of my "real life" friends are really into gaming, plus I don't really want to be making my Facebook page and real name public via my PS4 profile.

Surely there must be away to have a vibrant friends list without all the Facebook social integration.

It's optional.

Oppo

Looks terrible. The levels of each box aren't lined up to each other in any way. At first they kinda look like they might, but they don't. It's sloppy looking. It looks like what Facebook looks like on a PC, and it's awful.

However, those shopped Watchdog parts of the layout do look good. It's not every page, but it's a lot of them.

They've made a stacked 3-column design where the height of each tile is variable. This is a pretty common layout these days as it's flexible. If it were a straight grid you'd have no differentiating factors, and you'd have to shoehorn in other stuff. Google+ is using the exact same scheme.

They actually start at a similar size - look at the Knack and Big Puzzle tiles; they are both friend notifications. Picture thumb, comment, likes. Then look at the Sarah Green/Knack broadcast one - same size but the "broadcast" banner knocks it down 15-20 pixels, otherwise same. "Dragons and Cavalier" is a bit shorter as there's no Likes. "Combat PLane 2" is clearly a promo thing and it's own size. There is a rhyme and reason here, it's not random. Whether or not you like how it looks is a different thing.

casmith07

I really want to smoke whatever some of you people are on.
Interface looks great, there are screenshots with the blue in different shades, so I'd think it could be changed.(even though DAT blue is god tier)
All the social networking stuff looks great, especially the "clusterfuck" of information bits. What's up with all the negativity here?

I like you.

Just at a first glance, the XB UI looks more organised and easy to navigate thanks to the category bar at the top. I'm not sure exactly what part of the PS4 UI that is supposed to be -- is it the home? If so, are they really just going to dump *everything* (I can see a web browser and video player there) in one long line of scrolling icons? Won't that become a pain in the ass once you have a ton of stuff installed/played on your box? The background pattern is questionable but it seems that can be changed. The mobile stuff looks pretty great though.

It does look like everything is basically on that one scrolling line. Bad design. I hope there's category sections but it doesn't look like it. We would of seen it by now. Everything they've shown so far seems like that's the home screen.

For example if you scroll over to settings all the info will pop up under the box.

EDIT- If you pause at 18 seconds in the PS4 UI video you can see one of the boxes is a TV icon so it works just like i thought. I hope i'm wrong because it would suck having access to all system features that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4LAlogHYA

I wish they made this like how it looks on Myspace. I think the Horizontal layout like such.....

New-myspace-wall.png

....would look better. I like how the font looks and how the the updates are less intrusive. I think the blue is what really makes it look uglier than it seems. That blue is just ugh...I hate it. Everything looks so cramped in that space. They should stretch it out more and use more of that space that's just sitting there

I'm in complete agreement with this.

Gamespawn

And them pushing this real life, anti-anonymous bullshit after getting their security cracked wide open in the past is pretty ridiculous as well.

This is such a non-issue it's not even funny. It doesn't affect you at all as it's entirely optional.

Gold_Loot

I think I'll just wait for the final product before I make a judgment on the UI. Since it's obviusly a W.I.P. and all.

raphanum

Disclaimer: for all of you that cannot differentiate, this is a personal opinion. Which means it's subjective and not fact.

I, personally, really like the new UI. Especially that blue. My goodness. Dat blue! Makes me tingle all sorts inside. Plus, I'm reserving any other judgements until we see screenshots or video with CONTEXT before setting on a conclusion. Nevertheless, as long as it's functional and transitions smoothly from each section, then I is a happy camper.

Dead Man

That one just looks like some random arseholes Tumblr page.

I don't know why but it just looks messy what with all that Facebook and Twitter stuff going on and it doesn't look as laid out as it could be. Dont get me wrong though, it does look nice, it just doesn't look all that simplistic or streamlined as it could be. I honestly think that the X1 layout will beat it, if only for its perceived simplicity and streamlined nature.

I don't know why but it just looks messy what with all that Facebook and Twitter stuff going on and it doesn't look as laid out as it could be. Dont get me wrong though, it does look nice, it just doesn't look all that simplistic or streamlined as it could be. I honestly think that the X1 layout will beat it, if only for its perceived simplicity and streamlined nature.

That's pretty much how I feel. It needs some tweaks and cleanup. Currently the XB1 UI more refined.

Top Bottom