• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

The Light

How did thay SFxT dlc deal with Sony work? Did Sony pay them to hold off for the release of vita? If they did then how did they get out of the deal?

Dahbomb

We need the return of:

b809cfee40_yellow-card1.jpg

Re: Skullgirls PC specs

For reference, I have a laptop with a Intel GMA 4500 integrated card(so worse than the HD 3000/4000s in current Intel CPUs).

It can run SG at 60FPS stable if I cut the resolution to lower than 720p--outside of playing against the arcade boss.

Generally, if you have a dedicated graphics card and your computer isn't over a decade old, SG should run fine.
Also make sure to disable 3D backgrounds; that helped my FPS out a lot.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just got some pretty horrible news, in regards and follow up to this whole drama fiasco.

Sadly, I can't say any details, but the course of actions over the past week have dramatically damaged relationships between the FGC and potential big future opportunities.

This is a time where organizers and high-level players choose whether or not we want to grow up, or stay the same extreme minority for the coming future. Really wish I could talk about stuff but it'll probably come out eventually.

edit: and for the naysayers, this has no effect on myself in any way.

Infinite

Just got some pretty horrible news, in regards and follow up to this whole drama fiasco.

Sadly, I can't say any details, but the course of actions over the past week have dramatically damaged relationships between the FGC and potential big future opportunities.

This is a time where organizers and high-level players choose whether or not we want to grow up, or stay the same extreme minority for the coming future. Really wish I could talk about stuff but it'll probably come out eventually.

smh

The Light

Leak it.

Seriously though expected this to happen. Have to be more professional once money is involved. Some people haven't got that yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Are we talking opportunities with external parties investing into the FGC? Or existing relationships breaking down?

Uh oh.

ironically, if you don't say what it is or it gets reveal in some way, people will say "stop making stuff up."

People need to see what they lost before they can actually understand what the fuck they did wrong. You think any of the top players reading Max's post are going to be like "O GOD WE GOTTA CHANGE OUR WAYS!"?

Now tell them that capcom pulled capcom cup, no more new fighting games/patches. Zero chance of MLG picking up fighting games. Now lets see where that goes. If that ever happens, they better start learning how to play LoL.

Gee, what a surprise. -_-

Thanks for the heads-up, Max.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
People need to see what they lost before they can actually understand what the fuck they did wrong. You think any of the top players reading Max's post are going to be like "O GOD WE GOTTA CHANGE OUR WAYS!"?

There's a reason I would post it here, and not directed at the top players. As folks like the ones that frequent these forums are the ones that have a similar interest as I. And it's you who could be directly affected by what's happening.

Since I'm not big on cock-teases: do you know when this will come to light?

There's a reason I would post it here, and not directed at the top players. As folks like the ones that frequent these forums are the ones that have a similar interest as I. And it's you who could be directly affected by what's happening.
No Marvel patch? :-(

jbug617

Banned
My guess is probably about Capcom Cup qualifiers. I believe they wanted to use majors as a qualifier but I don't think that will happen now.

This is starting to make me wonder about timelines and if there was more behind why Markman led the topic with that announcement when he did. In any case, it sounds like a shame. Thanks for letting us know.

Setting up a 4-pack for Skullgirls on steam. Send me a PM if you're interested.

1. Chavelo
2. Lemstar
3. OPEN
4. Kirblar (temporary/will be available by tomorrow)
I didn't know this was a thing until I checked Steam today. Looks like a store page is finally up. They took some great shots and made a nice trailer.
Also make sure to disable 3D backgrounds; that helped my FPS out a lot.
The best part is how pretty the 2D stages look. I honestly think the 2D Medici Tower is one of my top three favorite stages. The billboards and signs pop out a lot more than in the 3D version.
No Marvel patch? :-(
Don't even go there.

Joule

I would have said replace BoF6 because I didn't see the drama. Then I scrolled down a bit and I see an iOS BoF6 thread with 1000+ responses in under 12 hours.

Great balls of fire

I didn't even know about it till I got to this post having just gotten home. First that nonsense collusion stuff and now this?! My heart can't take it.

Clawww

Also not releasing a Special Edition for DMC4 while not a scumbag decision... it was still something they should've done and they could've profited from it. Hell any type of DLC would've been fine. That game featured no costumes at all... hell if they even had a Vergil skin for Nero they would've made bank.

Not releasing a Marvel patch is not scum baggish... but saying stuff like "it could use a balance fix, would like to hear fan input on it" and not do anything about it afterward would be scum baggish.

It just seems a bit short-sighted of Capcom to have not worked harder with Marvel to make MVC3 a bigger phenomenon... it's like one of the best selling Marvel games this gen, right? If they had worked out a better contract or plan or something, the game might have amounted to something bigger than it is. Like, it's kind of crazy to think they put in all this work and money and now the game and team behind it is essentially dead (especially when you look at how SF4 is still going strong).

understandable. But to be honest, I don't think it really affects us. I mean do the stream viewers of LoL get affected in reality if some scandal happens in LoL? Sponsors don't affect the 99% of players and stream viewers. When sponsors pull out it only really affects 1) top players 2) TOs 3) Streamer that rely on streaming big events.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
understandable. But to be honest, I don't think it really affects us. I mean do the stream viewers of LoL get affected in reality if some scandal happens in LoL? Sponsors don't affect the 99% of players and stream viewers. When sponsors pull out it only really affects 1) top players 2) TOs 3) Streamer that rely on streaming big events.

I think you're thinking way too small here, regarding sponsors and TO's.

Damn I did not hear about the netcode for GG. It's that bad? Not like I'm gonna play online anyway.
Well the netcode is very iffy. It's not the worst thing out there (I have gotten a small amount of great matches) but it's mostly crap.
Has this been posted? Saw it just now and just about lost my soul laughing:

hitBoCd.jpg
Holy crap lol
God, he is such an unlikable dickweasel. It's hilarious. XD
I always thought that was a funny sounding insult, dickweasel.

So I'm guessing this is something to be on the lookout for at some point, thanks for the heads up

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It just seems a bit short-sighted of Capcom to have not worked harder with Marvel to make MVC3 a bigger phenomenon... it's like one of the best selling Marvel games this gen, right? If they had worked out a better contract or plan or something, the game might have amounted to something bigger than it is. Like, it's kind of crazy to think they put in all this work and money and now the game and team behind it is essentially dead (especially when you look at how SF4 is still going strong).
When MvC3 DLC turned into UMvC3, Capcom lost it's second release on the license.

UMvC3 could've been what it is with more, akin to a SSFIV release if it had that extra dev time. Shit, there might've been even a third game if UMvC3 did well and they decided to skip out on MvC:O.

They invested a decent amount into UMvC3 if you consider the dev time and the amount of coordination with Marvel that went in.

El Sloth

Banned
Leak it.

Seriously though expected this to happen. Have to be more professional once money is involved. Some people haven't got that yet.
You can't just ask someone to leak something and then chastise the scene for not being more professional in the same post.

jbug617

Banned
It could also be Capcom being pissed off. It was an official Capcom stream where the incident happen so I can see higher ups being pissed off.

Dahbomb

Capcom probably underestimated UMVC3's staying power after the initial performance of UMVC3. They probably thought the game would get one good EVO and people will just stop playing it much so they opted for a Marvel Origins release over 3rd expansion (a decision that even I would've made if I were in their shoes). Well that didn't happen, this year's crazy EVO happened and it got peopled riled up again. The game is pretty much locked for next year's EVO.

And I have to imagine that Marvel probably watches EVO too. What are they feeling when Zero is zapping all their characters to oblivion? How do they feel that their biggest star right now, Iron Man, is considered a non tournament viable character?

I think Capcom probably regrets the terms of the contract but with the bad shape they are in they can't really afford to re-negotiate another contract. I am pretty sure the license has gone up a lot since they first talked to Marvel for MVC3... I mean Avengers happened between that time. It's probably not worth the return of investment to re-negotiate a contract for even an expansion much less a standard balance patch.

Besides, it seems like most of their work force is shifted to mobile games... LMAO!

I think you're thinking way too small here, regarding sponsors and TO's.

I really don't see it. Worst case scenario, Capcom abandons fighting games (Again).

I played 3s, and mvc2 for 10 years . There are a millions of other games and other companes that will make fighting games. Yeah it sucks that I won't get to play an updated game but when your a gamer and there are millions of other games to play, losing one or two games don't really matter in the long run.

It does hamper the growth of the FGC, but if people at the top want to piss away at the growth then why should I care anymore?

It's soooooo great how the few at the top ruin it for everyone else.

Not.

Talked about this a bit with my dad since he's now starting to get (slightly) more into the FGC since Evo. He said that all tournaments should be random select the whole way through.

That doesn't sound like such a bad idea almost.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
You can't just ask some one to leak something and then chastise the scene for not being more professional in the same post.

Sloth speaks truth. It's more of a word of caution, for people that enjoy fighting games, and especially those with exemplary behavior on live-airtime playing them.

My focus has always been about the games, not so much directly the people playing them or surrounding drama. So my hopes with posting this, is the surrounding community around this stuff to be aware at how much it could affect the future of what we love.

Sloth speaks truth. It's more of a word of caution, for people that enjoy fighting games, and especially those with exemplary behavior on live-airtime playing them.

My focus has always been about the games, not so much directly the people playing them or surrounding drama. So my hopes with posting this, is the surrounding community around this stuff to be aware at how much it could affect the future of what we love.

The problem is, others have been saying the same thing for a long time now. I don't even remember when spooky gave his whole speech about it. Valle has done the same as well in the past. Nothing has changed despite their warnings.

i was boiling with hate but decided to not say anything else.
The BoFVI thread has made me think about typing many things that would get me banned. iOS defenders...

It's soooooo great how the few at the top ruin it for everyone else.

Not.

Talked about this a bit with my dad since he's now starting to get (slightly) more into the FGC since Evo. He said that all tournaments should be random select the whole way through.

That doesn't sound like such a bad idea almost.
That's a horrible idea.

Tell me this Max: will this directly affect the games themselves, or just events for those games?

jbug617

Banned
The problem is, others have been saying the same thing for a long time now. I don't even remember when spooky gave his whole speech about it. Valle has done the same as well in the past. Nothing has changed despite their warnings.

I think the Spooky speech was after Final Round.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

I do see where you're coming from, but now is the part where we need a shred of faith that people in power (Organizers/Top Players) set examples, especially on behavior and respect for the viewers/audience watching. The audiences watching aren't just stream monsters anymore, especially if something makes front page news Kotaku and is on other feeds all the time.

Top Bottom