• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

alstein

I think the worst case scenario is some fighting game company (namely Capcom) pulling the stops on production for unnamed fighting game. That would be something that affects a much larger portion of people.

I doubt it's that big, I still think it's something E sports related.

It wouldn't be that big. Capcom may be stupid, but FG sales for Capcom games- I don't think tournies play a huge role in that. Collusion isn't going to stop ham-n-egger players from buying new games, we'll still lap games up like hungry dogs.

Evo and other majors survived and grew before SFIV blew up. This wouldn't kill the tourney scene though it might cut down on number of events.

Max is connected/trusted enough that we shouldn't need to ask for receipts here.

This is clearly a huge issue for sponsors (with good reason) and needs to be reigned in.
Just to be clear, I'm not doubting Max. He has me legitimately worried; I just want to know what I should be worried about. While this may sound selfish, if it's just about events, I'm significantly less worried than I would be if this were about the games themselves.

lol chris g not happy killing marvel decided to kill the fgc.
I laughed.

My secret grandmaster plan to make it so only anime games can be streamed is unfolding quite well.

People should stop acting like fucking 12 year olds and pull their heads out of their asses
Skullgirls sales to soar.

Almost, yeah. It's from '08. My laptop is a shitty no-frills HP Pavilion laptop though, so I wouldn't worry too much unless it's also an HP laptop.

It's a hardware issue, so I don't see what good it'll do, but I'll consider it, thanks.

all of my friends who bought the HP pavillion eventually stopped working, except mine. fuck my luck. this shit wont die

Nyoro SF

Because Capcom spent money to get their crew to VxG, and Haunts has been working with TOs to get Capcom-subsidized streaming services.

This is actually a very good point that I missed. Capcom's not going to lend support to events that compromise them on the company face.

kirblar

This is actually a very good point that I missed. Capcom's not going to lend support to events that compromise them on the company face.
When I read the post worried about Haunts' job, it took me a minute to make the connection, but I was horrified after I realized the implications of Capcomfighters + VxG.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even though shit is looking bad now, this might be exactly what the scene needs for reformation. If top players and TOs aren't up for more rigidity and structure and generally not being idiots now, they will get left behind. Adapt or die.

I just hope that the TOs can survive..

Nyoro SF

When I read the post worried about Haunts' job, it took me a minute to make the connection, but I was horrified after I realized the implications of Capcomfighters + VxG.

I'm also blaming Capcom for supporting VxG in the first place. An untested event with hidden ramifications and the EMP influence? Do people willingly stick their hands into blenders? :p

The FGC will be done in the near future.

Gotta respectfully disagree Wiz. The FGC will never truly be done but if y'all as a community don't want this to go back to what it was pre-SF4 was then time to stand up and take responsibility.

This man and countless others have help cultivate this community to be something special and I'd hate to see something like that just drop back off again because of reasons.

Should be really interesting to see how y'all deal with this.

kirblar

Gotta respectfully disagree Wiz. The FGC will never truly be done but if y'all as a community don't want this to go back to what it was pre-SF4 was then time to stand up and take responsibility.

This man and countless others have help cultivate this community to be something special and I'd hate to see something like that just drop back off again because of reasons.

Getting organized and making things have consequences across the entire community is a huge step for it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
BMc5GgbCMAIWoeu.jpg:large

Even though shit is looking bad now, this might be exactly what the scene needs for reformation. If top players and TOs aren't up for more rigidity and structure and generally not being idiots now, they will get left behind. Adapt or die.

Stop, you are sounding like Triforce right now, almost word for word lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stop, you are sounding like Triforce right now, almost word for word lol
Nah, if I was Triforce I'd be talking about a nondescript eSports while telling you how feniscutty this situation is right now and how it needs to BURN.

I'm just saying, this could be a pivoting point without the actual intent of things being to burn this community to the ground first.

Clawww

I think an increase in reasonable rules and a general raising of expectations will only encourage more people to go out to tournaments. A few salty big names or whatever may be left with a bad taste in their mouths, but for a potmonster like myself, I can only see more professionally- and conscientiously-run tournament as a good thing.

Chavelo

You know what?

Fuck it. Let it burn. If people were in it solely for the money in the first place, then let Capcom Cup get cancelled. Shut down the Capcom Fighters division. Make the F.Champs and Chris Gs and Flockers realize how bad they're fucking the Capcom fighting game community by hitting them where it hurts.

And you what? Every other fighting game community will be in the clear once the shit hits the fan. NRS will still patch their games way too fast while giving insane bonuses for tournaments, KI will still be Max's favorite game, Anime players will still bitch about region delays. Hell, EVO will be the same because they don't get any support from Capcom in the first place. How is the winner of SF4 for EVO 2013 get less than the winner of Marvel at VxG? Come on, son.

The stream monsters will move on to the speedrunning community, Sp00ky wil still get the hookups from MarkMan and stream marketing events, Capcom will stop with the DLC bullshit and actually sit down and maybe release a brand new game instead of just patches, and TOs will rely on actual sponsors to help them out.

The FGC wil not be done, Mr. Wizard. The only thing that will be over are the FGC's chances to make a profit out of the events and the online "community" that the FGC spawned.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Whatever happens going forward, I really hope that everyone stops allowing a select few to fuck it up for the rest of us.

I hope it gets fixed for the Steam version
This is like trying to restore a flower from it's burned ashes. Some things just can't be brought back.
You know what?

Fuck it. Let it burn. If people were in it solely for the money in the first place, then let Capcom Cup get cancelled. Shut down the Capcom Fighters division. Make the F.Champs and Chris Gs and Flockers realize how bad they're fucking the Capcom fighting game community by hitting them where it hurts.

And you what? Every other fighting game community will be in the clear once the shit hits the fan. NRS will still patch their games way too fast while giving insane bonuses for tournaments, KI will still be Max's favorite game, Anime players will still bitch about region delays. Hell, EVO will be the same because they don't get any support from Capcom in the first place. How is the winner of SF4 for EVO 2013 get less than the winner of Marvel at VxG? Come on, son.

The stream monsters will move on to the speedrunning community, Sp00ky wil still get the hookups from MarkMan and stream marketing events, Capcom will stop with the DLC bullshit and actually sit down and maybe release a brand new game instead of just patches, and TOs will rely on actual sponsors to help them out.

The FGC wil not be done, Mr. Wizard. The only thing that will be over are the FGC's chances to make a profit out of the events and the online "community" that the FGC spawned.
Chavelo can't control it anymore.

I died at the bits in bold though lmao.

Duxxy3

If players keep this up, the publishers will stop allowing these streams. The streams go, the sponsors go and it's a wrap.

Nintendo just barely let SSBM get streamed at evo. If that stream had players throwing games and splitting pots you would never see another stream from that game again.

kirblar

who are some of the big sponsors? i know madcatz seem to be the biggest and i really hope they aren't the ones.
It's highly unlikely, given MCZ's position. It's likely a new one we're unaware of.
Nintendo just barely let SSBM get streamed at evo. If that stream had players throwing games and splitting pots you would never see another stream from that game again.
Smash itself had to deal with this issue before as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hopefully the info all comes out in the open soon. I'm hoping the end result isn't as bad as the rumors that are going around.

FlyFaster

The scene needs to embrace "esports"

- money
-structure
-professionalism
-coverage
-sponsors

Imo, the biggest thing is still the money. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Just look at the history of Body Building and Poker. They really took off and got taken seriously once real money was involved. Until that happens it's just child games.

There was an interview/documentary on Arnold Schwarzenegger years ago and he was talking about trying to grow the body building scene and the one of the biggest things he worked on was getting higher payouts. much higher payouts so that the athletes could live on their earnings. Without the possibility of something like this, no one can be seriously dedicated to a sport regardless of what it is. It will always come second to a job and be a hobby. Or you will be so poor and just getting by in order to continue competing on a high level. Large prizes also bring in people as spectators. Could you imagine the view count at EVO if there was a $500,000 prize for 1st place? News like that gets reported across various media since it's so much money. It's the same idea behind game shows like "who wants to be a millionaire?" does anyone really think that show would have taken off if it was called "who wants $1000?" Not impressive. Also, look at the history of Poker. Big money, more coverage, taken more seriously, BAM on EPSN watched by millions.

DomZ

who are some of the big sponsors? i know madcatz seem to be the biggest and i really hope they aren't the ones.
The Aver Media community manager guy has threatened to pull. I have no clue if they're big or not. I'm new on the scene.

lol @ no more Evo.

It has been like this a long time now. People at the top don't care about winning, they care about the money and fame. There is nothing wrong with that, to each their own. I just don't see how this is surprising at all.

Whatever happens going forward, I really hope that everyone stops allowing a select few to fuck it up for the rest of us.
It should really be a community project to say "fuck you" to those few. Every competitive community has community standards, but it seems like the FGC's standard is generally "how entertaining was this?"

Madcatz would be an odd one to pull out. The FGC probably keeps them alive, since their fighting game equipment is the only reputable stuff they make.

Koop

Neo Member

Trying hard to school the kids but its hard.

You know what?

dhZzOzx.gif

Top Bottom