• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintamen

Basically to have an issue every week of the year jump and other magazines do double issues that are numbered like 576/577 to count for two weeks to get the mangaka and publishers a break. We don't really get double chapters
I wish we would, what's this one for, Obon?

AUGUST
13th-15th: Obon (Festival of Souls): although this is not an official national holiday, many offices are closed (most of the country celebrates this festival in August)

dramatis

When did Psi Saiki Kusuo introduced a major female character?!
She's not really a major female character. In fact, she's written as a parody of the usual "beautiful heroine the hero falls for at first sight". Outwardly she's nice and kind and all those things 'heroines' conform to as a hollow love interest, but inwardly she thinks the world should bow before her. She mistakenly thinks she has a crush on Saiki when he ignores her (typical "Sakura -> Sauce" type relationship) and teleports away, leading her to think she was hallucinating him out of love.

KingJ2002

Naruto:

Good chapter... finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel here with Sage mode being the key to stopping obito. If Sasuke perfected Snake Sage Mode then we've got a fight on our hands.

More than likely the 2nd is going to get done in soon... and then the 4th... but i can imagine that other half of the Kyuubi chakra will go back to Naruto when that happens.

ES21
An unfortunately super rushed final arc, but is salvaged through the awesome fanservice.

That's what I do: Just pretend it's a non-canon fanservice arc (mediocre by itself - even the drawings are sub par!) and be happy with that.

OP
A chapter with proper story progression and with very little filler fights? Oda, you sure you're feeling fine?

(ONE) Punch man 87
Saitama, you sound like an old man!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Naruto

Boy I really enjoyed this chapter. Some solid progression to the fight, Naruto lookin like a badass, and finally we're getting to see the Yin Kyuubi. Was almost starting to think we'd get no backstory for the Fourth's Kyuubi mantle after all.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oh and like someone else mentioned, Naruto making a rasengan with one hand for the first time ever, all nonchalantly, pretty cool stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yo mangaf, any of you hankering for the new one piece 3DS designs?

pJptsSk.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yo mangaf, any of you hankering for the new one piece 3DS designs?

pJptsSk.jpg

Son of a bitch... that would be so amazing to have.

Now if only Namco Bandai can confirmed Unlimited World R is coming. We have One Piece on TV again, at least give us something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

Of course he gets done over by a rasengan haha, was the bjuu on the last panel the evil side of the 9 tails? great chapter B +

It isn't "evil," its just the half that Minato has. I mean, Minato wasn't a jinchuuriki before but he was using full-power Bijuu mode so obviously he had it and was going to give it back to Naruto before he died again.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It isn't "evil," its just the half that Minato has. I mean, Minato wasn't a jinchuuriki before but he was using full-power Bijuu mode so obviously he had it and was going to give it back to Naruto before he died again.

It is the Yin half, though. The "darkness" half. Which puts some things in perspective. Like maybe the only reason Naruto was able to befriend and interface with his half was because it was the Yang, the "light" half. Probably explains why his Bijuu mode is all weird, too, with him standing on top of a weird chakra-Kyuubi, instead of literally becoming it physically like all the other Jinchuriki do. Cause it's only half of a whole. (Though he was pretty physical when he lost control vs Pain, I guess.)

Minato might have a different kind of relationship with the Yin Kyuubi, too. I wonder how he managed to subjugate it.

Naruto 642

2nd Hokage quickly becoming my favorite Hokage.

Minato (and Naruto later on) power boost looks to be happening soon.

One Piece 717

So much PLOT.

Great chapter.

TUSR

Banned
Naruto

Haha wow, I predicted this ages ago that the sage mode would work and sasuke and naruto will use the eyes and body of the 6 paths to beat Obito and become best friends.

Now I wonder what Madara has up his sleeves, probably a sweet plot twist involving eye hacks.

Whose rennangan is Obito's?

So what are the odds naruto and minato are borough into the eye dimension with Kakashi and we have training chapters of minato giving and teaching naruto to use the full power of the 9 tails?

DonMigs85

Naruto 642

2nd Hokage quickly becoming my favorite Hokage.

Minato (and Naruto later on) power boost looks to be happening soon.

One Piece 717

So much PLOT.

Great chapter.
Yeah, and I bet they'll play on the fact later that technically Obito doesn't have the complete Juubi - he only got tiny portions of the 8 and 9 tails chakra.

Naruto

Sasuke's reaction to that Naruto face was hilarious and then later on when he had that comment to Naruto when Naruto asked about his power.

After finally playing more of NUNS3 and watching The Yellow Flash of Konoha, Minato's, emotional part putting half the nine tails chakra away to have it come back to the plot this was was a nice touch and showed that Kishimoto really plans things well in advancing making the most minute details extremely important and relevant to the plot. Even Sage Jutsu back. Sasuke needs something now too. Good chapter on many fronts.

one piece

I find it interesting that Daflamingo has been a ruler for only 10 years and not his entire life which suggests that he is not a celestial dragon, but he gained some kind of a big leverage on them.

Naruto 642

Minato so useless but he probably gonna get a power up soon.

2nd Hokage is moving away from scrub territory every chapter. While Minato enters scrub territory.

I wonder if this Senjutsu "weakness" is the reason Madara is stalling the first Hokage. The first is the strongest Sage out there since Kabuto is out if commission.

This also brings the question of if Orochimaru will be able to do something since he is an imperfect Sage, also Juugo uses Natural energy and even Sasuke has that Kirin attack he used against Itachi which was real lighting as opposed to chakra base one.

Lots of different ways for this fight to go.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Non-crappy translation.

That's pretty tragic... once human, and all the people you knew and loved have no memory of who you were. I do wonder how Rebecca knows the Toy Solider though... maybe she escaped the mindwipe.
I imagine all the A and B Block losers (minus Bellamy) are getting turned into toys, that's why they haven't left the building.
This arc is shaping up beautifully.

Gintamen

one piece

I find it interesting that Daflamingo has been a ruler for only 10 years and not his entire life which suggests that he is not a celestial dragon, but he gained some kind of a big leverage on them.
That's no news though, we knew he took the country like at the beginning of the arc, he was also shown in a desolately place as a kid in the shichibukai kids page from Oda . His mysterious words right before the big duel seem to hint to something bigger though.

Pein

Banned
I wonder if this Senjutsu "weakness" is the reason Madara is stalling the first Hokage. The first is the strongest Sage out there since Kabuto is out if commission.

This also brings the question of if Orochimaru will be able to do something since he is an imperfect Sage, also Juugo uses Natural energy and even Sasuke has that Kirin attack he used against Itachi which was real lighting as opposed to chakra base one.

Lots of different ways for this fight to go.

he might be a perfect sage now, the only thing holding him back before was his body, now he has a senju body.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aoi Hana finale
nuh9DhYl.jpg

I can't believe it's finally over. As much as I appreciate the fact that the central relationship between the two protagonists has been very much subdued, I can't help but feel that Shimura lost the plot at some point and just got tired of Fumi and Akira and decided to just write what was essentially MariMite instead for 20 chapters. I actually liked the way it all wrapped up, but all of that stuff in between them pseudo-hooking up and the actual final chapter was such a waste of time and, well, valuable chapters.

Ultimately, we still don't see what it's like to be a lesbian teen in Japan. Or even a lesbian in Japan. Given how the first part (covered by the anime) features a "coming out" - which basically got fucking retconned - I expected much bigger things to come out of this manga than actually did.

So, I don't know. It doesn't have the sociological hooks that something like Honey and Honey had, and it just doesn't have the happy relationship hooks that something like Hiyori Otsu's works have. It is the very definition of a slice of life, but it is what "game press" would call a "vertical slice". So oddly specific as to essentially ignore not only the difficulties of being a queer teen, but to essentially write her off for like a third of the manga.

With Hourou Musuko supposedly ending soon as well, I just wonder what Shimura has in store next. I almost would want her to go back to doing shorter stories, since she doesn't seem to lose focus when she does them, but who knows. Maybe it's my fault for expecting Aoi Hana to be all lesbian all the time (and Hourou Musuko for being all trans all the time).

That said, I do feel a little empty now that it's over. I don't know if anything will fill that gap... maybe I'll bite the bullet and finally read Sasameki Koto.

Korosenai

One Piece

Seeing Don Chinjao crying asking Luffy what Garp did to him was some awesome stuff. It seems like Don was super close to the one piece before Garp stopped him. Hopefully we will get a flashback to see what happened.

Gintamen

One Piece

Seeing Don Chinjao crying asking Luffy what Garp did to him was some awesome stuff. It seems like Don was super close to the one piece before Garp stopped him. Hopefully we will get a flashback to see what happened.
But didn't Roger create the One Piece, named it such, because what they were fighting for at that time was the title of Pirate King, not OP.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RIP Wandering Son and Aoi Hana

My months will be just a little less enjoyable without you.

Foolworm

Juggler: Ethnic Romance

bkBK1h1.jpg

This manga is by Okito Endo, who has some mindblasting art skills. His art takes after the style pioneered by Oyari Ashito of Littlewitch fame, although much more refined (but no less NSFW).

I've noticed some series with really awesome art and Middle-east / Central-Asia settings recently, so I thought I may as well throw this out and see what happens.

Also this may seem weird awkward etc, But I did go through what was available of Kimi no Kakera when you recommended it to me a LONG time ago. And as you said it was definitely disheartening going through what was available of Icoro's tragic journey.

I would recommend reading the French version - it's pretty far along now and the translation is really good. Did the same with Acony and enjoyed every bit of it. I think the French have a more refined taste for manga than the Americans - at the very least, the variety of titles translated is greater.

Takahashi's current series - Yuki ni Tsubasa - has a much less ambitious plot than Saikano or KnK. That being said, it is very much in his style. The CG effects are honestly gorgeous - you cannot tell that they are there otherwise. Not many artists can claim a larger CG staff on their payroll than traditional media folks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hourou Musuko end
Wow, so it turns out that this really did end. Whoops. lol
tK1M4xNl.jpg

So, yeah, in light of Aoi Hana's ending, this ending was much more fulfilling. I appreciated where Takatsuki ended up, even if Shimura doesn't try to probe deeper into how gender dysphoria manifests and what her feelings actually meant. If you remember, way back when, she basically says "I wish I had a cock". So what changed there? I wonder if she planned that particular ending all along or if she just felt that Nitorin was the more interesting character.
(Again, Honey and Honey has FTM characters, so there's always that!).

And I'm finally glad that the idea of sex came up, even if it's sort of dismissed in a jokey way right before the end. It was one of the things that was just absent from the entire series, despite the fact that Nitorin was with Anna for at least 6 or 7 years.

Even Maho got an ending, and finally a big family moment that we got with Nitorin. I think there was always a question of where Maho would end up in terms of how she would identify herself, but Shimura finally puts it to bed... and in a nice way.

Hell, even the somewhat gimmicky ending worked for me... and actually, in a very minor way, ties into how the anime opened with recorded interviews.

All in all, while this series meandered as much as Aoi Hana at times, Shimura managed to bring a lot of these threads to a close in a much more fulfilling manner. Of course, I wish it pushed further, but at this point I should be happy with what I can get.

Now, if only Intersexuality could get some progress, I'd have something else to move on to from Wandering Son. lol

he might be a perfect sage now, the only thing holding him back before was his body, now he has a senju body.

Good point, he also got Kabuto's intel which will help him I guess. I don't see him being able to use the white dragon because that's requires suigetsu's ability to make you immune from its effects.

mhs004

One Piece

Was expecting an all out brawl chapter but I liked it anyway. Chapter answered alot of questions about the toys. What I wonder is why the factor is beneath the stadium and what was Don's treasure Garp took.

Naruto

Actually a good chapter for once! All around it was really good and finally showed a weakness Obito has. I wonder what factor dark Kurama will play will he hurt or help the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom