• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Has there been a good war in shonen ever? Everytime there's a war arc it seems to suck the life out of the manga.

maybe FMA but other than that...

No. A war means tons of big characters on each side, which tends to just devolve into a bunch of meaningless match-ups. The only way to do a war arc properly is to riddle the landscape with blood and deaths of major characters, both of which are decisively "un-shonen". Hence why you see most shonens focus on "the few against the many" arcs instead.

Even FMA's final arc doesn't count because it wasn't a war, it was "few against the many" and secret missions galore.

Dresden

shokugki no soma-

FUCK YEAH AMERICA

n9CpX72.png

Tacitus_

Nah fma war arc was awesome until the later moments which was lame the final chapter being the weakest in the series(
father absorbs god & it's upto ed to fight him with the power of shounen heart while everyone stands around yelling his name really lame & cliche
), I can't think of many shounen manga doing war arc anyways, one piece marine ford was pretty great it was a war that really changed the entire one piece world
(the marines hierarchy,new base in the new world,the balance of power,the rise of blackbeard and two major characters dieing one of them having a great effect on luffy ).

Who?

I like how FMA is still the only series that gets spoiler tags for it. Speaks volumes for its quality.

Kingdom 182-184

aww sheeeeeeiit Sei's mother has that Ouki smile going on, making palace girls and eunuchs horny left and right.

Speaking of which, what the hell are these eunuchs wearing?!

otherwise things are kinda "slow" on the Shin side. Nothing of note happening although Ou Hon and Mou Ten will probably be formidable rivals in the future.

shut your mor mouth

Tripon

Shokugeki no Soma

A new arc with Nikumi and the girl from the first chapter, what a wierd combo.

Dat Tosh drawing spread of Shonen Jump heroines.

Man, I love Shokugeki no Soma, and Tosh. I just hate it that he left his 18+ stuff to work in Shounen Jump.

Think i going to take a break on Shingeki no Kyojin .
Will start back when a second season get announce if it does if not maybe in 2 years or so .

Beelzebub current Arc
So far it has been interesting looking forward to see what comes next .

dramatis

Doesn't say much, just that it'll be an 82 page original work, and it'll have a preface and an afterword.

Title is "Chikyuu no Kaijuu" aka "Monsters of the Earth" / "Earth Monsters" / "Monsters on Earth" (pick your poison). ONE is listed as writer. Artist has Yusuke Murata, Kita Nishimura (if I'm reading his name correctly), and ONE.

ONE's art is going to look fabulously awkward next to Murata's. Unless there's a story reason.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
(One) punch-man

"It's like he's made up of the world's unfairness."

Well at least he understood what he was up against...

Saitama completely beasted the fuck out of him.

That aerial fight would be godlike if it ever got animated.

mhs004

Shokugeki no soma

An arc with ms merica I'm in. Good set up chapter and cool that the girls from the first chapter have come back. Soma still has no idea what is going on.

Gintama 456

I love it when this series randomly does a running gag on some other Shonen Jump series. I've never even read Saint Seiya, but I was laughing the entire time.

Also, fuck me, Yusuke Murata has a twitter gallery?!? Gotta look this up...

Kurita

Gintama 456

I love it when this series randomly does a running gag on some other Shonen Jump series. I've never even read Saint Seiya, but I was laughing the entire time.

Also, fuck me, Yusuke Murata has a twitter gallery?!? Gotta look this up...
Following him is the best decision one can make.

mhs004

Sun-Ken Rock 12-17

Greatest opening to a Seinen of all time. Greatest training arc of all time. Greatest manga of all time.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 182-184

DON'T FUCK WITH THE ROYAL HAREM.

There was some incredibly sexist views espoused by some of the Minister's in these chapters but that contrasts really well with the more forward thing views of those "savage" and "uncivilized" mountain tribe people.

I will say that this has p. much caught up with the currently running anime and, while the second season is a major improvement over the first one, it still falls flat compared to just how well the Manga's executed.

Has there been a good war in shonen ever? Everytime there's a war arc it seems to suck the life out of the manga.

maybe FMA but other than that...
Technically it's Seinen but Kingdom is p. much one war arc after the next and it can be shounen as fuck.

Seeking for Death 1

Cutesy art by the Idol Pretender guy...
... story by someone completely goddamn different.

So either the MC's childhood friend or love interest is going to die. Whichever is MC's 'true love' will survive. The trio have become aware of this. Childhood friend and love interest were best buddies but have turned on each-other faster than you can say "Hey isn't that a falling gird--"

I'm expecting it to be flawed as hell, but jesus christ the premise ticks so many of my boxes that I need a continuation sheet.

Theonik

Man Eater (COMIC Unreal 2013-04)
This was a pretty unique monster girl one shot featuring Centaurs and Yuri.
If I had to write a summary:
This is the story of 2 bounty hunters that were hired to slay a feral Centaur that was terrorising the land. They soon find however that there is more to their assignment than their employer let on.
I'd definitely recommend this as a read. Also has some decent art to boot.

cuilan

Man Eater (COMIC Unreal 2013-04)

This was a pretty unique monster girl one shot featuring Centaurs and Yuri.
If I had to write a summary:
This is the story of 2 bounty hunters that were hired to slay a feral Centaur that was terrorising the land. They soon find however that there is more to their assignment than their employer let on.
I'd definitely recommend this as a read. Also has some decent art to boot.

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well, mainly because it combines a number of themes that I'm interested in, and combines them very well. The quality of the art definitely helps also, though it could have been a lot better with a few more details added in a few places. It's a real pity this combination isn't more common.

Theonik

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well, mainly because it combines a number of themes that I'm interested in, and combines them very well. The quality of the art definitely helps also, though it could have been a lot better with a few more details added in a few places. It's a real pity this combination isn't more common.
Yeah but I guess that's what makes it more unique. I also would have liked some more detail, it could have used having a few extra pages too tbh, but I suppose those are restrictions of the publishing format too.

A sequel wouldn't be unwarranted either but it works pretty well as a one-shot I think.

Theonik

Zettai ni Itakunai Haisha-san
Basically, a guy goes to a dentist's office to get some work done, advertised as painless, unaware of what the method for achieving this is. He ends up being body swapped with a nurse that takes the procedure for him while he waits. But it turns out, another nurse has the hots for that nurse. Yuri ensues.
Based Taniguchi-san we are not worthy etc etc etc

Shokugeki no Soma 35
tumblr_mr8iavmxcd1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Well Isshiki panels made it worth it, and were a fair trade off for Nikumi's legs in that one panel, equal opportunity and all I guess. Great plot love Soma's personality in those closing moments.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like how Isshiki's naked apron gag is now just his personality and he's naked all of the time.

Nozomi x Kimio 11
Camera troll was the best of the sub girls we've been exposed to so far. Not that there's been much competition. Also Nozomi's blackmail photos were so ridiculously embarrassing that I can't see how she can ever show her face in this manga again.

Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to 2 - 1

dot dot dot

Akito

Ketchup Ninja 1-3

This was originally released as a flash videos series on Nico Nico Douga and it's about a Japanese ninja girl who was forced to move to the US despite not being able to speak English at all. The manga pokes fun at both the Japanese and US side and looks pretty interesting too with all the art style variations between the pages. It being translated by boon is certainly a bonus.

Gamerloid

One Punch Man Chapter 27

Man, I love this show! However, it's the most recent chapter yet I see people in chapters in the seventies. Is tht another series or something?

Akito

One Punch Man Chapter 27

Man, I love this show! However, it's the most recent chapter yet I see people in chapters in the seventies. Is tht another series or something?
They are reading the original series, which is being written and drawn by ONE, what you are reading is the remake which is being drawn by Yusuke Murata and is/will still be way behind the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom