• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foolworm

Cuilan has had an acct for a while now but no recs yet!

Little bit of a guilt trip / moment of regret but although I'm Canadian, at the time I was attending Junior High / Middle school in Alberta or Edmonton specifically, French was not mandatory to take and of course I didn't know anyone who was French so there was no incentive for me. In fact the just the year after (2002) French was made mandatory in Edmonton so I missed out. In retrospect it would've helped me 100%.

Also I think France (as Kurita always likes to rub in) and other European countries in general simply have better taste in manga no question. It's very painful because french volumes of manga are actually in fact listed on Amazon.ca

[End of dumb story]

Back to manga, I look forward to reading Takahashi-san's work possibly in the future. That does indeed sound interesting

Small world - I went to the U of A. If you are going to Animethon, we should meet up.

For fans of Kingdom, I recommend Heroes of East Zhou by Chen Uen. He worked on Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and was the first to use a completely ink-and-brush technique in comics (Yoshitaka Amano and Yoji Shinkawa are some mainstream artists who also use the same technique, but none have put out actual graphic novels as far as I know). His Assassin's Story has been brought over, but I think there were bits of HoEZ floating around at one point. Here's an image of the raw:

eKQGnMo.jpg

Japan's prefilled sumi-e ink brushes are amazing, and regularly employed by manga artists. This fellow does it the old-fashioned way, which is much more demanding in terms of brushwork and technique - hence my awe.

upandaway

Early into The Basketball in Which Kuroko Plays and this Miodir brah is crazy. The whole idea of the Generation of Miracles is hilarious. Love it.
Yeah it's crazy, especially early on is the best part. I wholly recommend the anime, if you're not already watching it, it's way better and there's a new season very soon.

Another (v2 via yenpress)

Well for the books take on the animated story (or rather as the source material), it was in some ways less intense than the anime. I missed the beach trip being here as well as a few of the moments in the lodge of sorts with explosions and people or the lightning and glass scene. But still the book did feel intense and even creepy at times with the way things were described and Sakakibara’s thoughts. Teshigawara was still the best friend involved. He was rather hilarious even if he did have tacky choice of clothing, but I can’t see how anyone would dislike him. Mochizuki could have been a bit better, at the end of the day it just seems like his most memorable feature I is being interested in art and liking older woman like Ms. Mikami and etc. The reveal of the extra was great as well as Sakakibara’s struggle with it. End analysis/critique and afterward at least did suggest where the writer got his influences from. It was a nice take and I hope to see if there is a sequel someday. Would read.

Beelzebub 57 - 113

Furuichi ought to be higher than fifth place in the popularity poll, no way he is that low. Ought to be number one around Oga and such.
tumblr_mr9samessm1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Many of the arcs have their moments and often lead to good things or good comedy in how they are resolved. Highlights was definitely Oga and Beel merging for one and then the comedy chapters when they body swapped. I laughed so much from it. Ill miss En as well. MK5 consistently showing me up (the one on the left is best) is hilarious.

Akito

Nisekoi 86
Another addition for the harem get. Haru is still fucking annoying yada yada.

Ran and the Gray World 26
Oh shit

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Soul Eater

Just not happy with the end of this manga. Feels like there's so much they never touched on. OH WELL.

At least Soul Eater Not's starting back up.

Tokage no Ou 1-15 (END)
What the flying fuck? I picked this up in the expectation that it'd be average at best, but I'll be damned if it didn't have me gripped from start to finish.

Think it's been mentioned here before, but briefly MC is a super powerful dude with the super special ability to change the colour of his eyes, which is a super awesome help when he gets stuck in an elaborate assassination clusterfuck courtesy of
the waifu from hell
. The whole thing was relentless, twisted, gory and just downright entertaining throughout, although I suspect (going by some of the comments I've seen) that I benefited from reading it in one sitting and knowing in advance when it was going to end. Will be keeping a watchful eye in a jar on the LNs, since this was apparently just the introduction to everything.

Oddly enough, I didn't care much for Sugamo, despite her being the kind of character I usually warm to. Frog was hotter anyway, even after her features were partially rearranged.

Soul Eater 113 (end)
tumblr_mra8rkuR9s1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best moment and all I wanted to ever happen, so glad for it and made the bewbies, excessive bewbies nonsense, tolerable. I wonder why the writer went that route. Though perhaps it was because they just couldnt think of enough content to make this chapter more than 20 pages long.

Good end I guess, would have liked some epilogue of sorts just to see a Black Star new design choice, like Death kid got a new cloak of sorts and what not. (also kind of funny seeing some in the fandom distressed over no Soul maka kiss...).

Soul Eater 113 (end)
tumblr_mra8rkuR9s1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best moment and all I wanted to ever happen, so glad for it and made the bewbies, excessive bewbies nonsense, tolerable. I wonder why the writer went that route. Though perhaps it was because they just couldnt think of enough content to make this chapter more than 20 pages long.

Good end I guess, would have liked some epilogue of sorts just to see a Black Star new design choice, like Death kid got a new cloak of sorts and what not. (also kind of funny seeing some in the fandom distressed over no Soul maka kiss...).

p3Hcg.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Soul Eater

It's over now... okay ending. I feel there could have been a lot more to tackle. Like Maka's mother, the identities of the other Great Old Ones, and some other things I can't recall but I'm sure could have been covered.

We can has new anime now?

Ran and the Gray World 24-25
I liked the the snippet into their daily lives in 24. Chapter 25 is the shit just got real chapter though, it's Ran basically versus everyone. Hopefully we'll see how strong she really is in the coming chapters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Soul eater END

Uhhhh...

Huh.

Didn't really expect this goofy ass (or should I say, boobs) ending. Felt like they left quite a few things unanswered.

Still, ah well, definitely enjoyed reading this over the years.

Snow White & Seven Dwarfs 6 - 7
Cover character poses are always cool, especially Fujimaru. I wonder how bigger fights will be handled once this takes off a bit. No serious antagonist to confront Takeru still, though I wonder if its been covered in the many chapters yet to be done.

Solune

Small world - I went to the U of A. If you are going to Animethon, we should meet up.

Wowow haha small world indeed. I'm not in Etown ATM, currently residing in Van but planning to visit sometime. Unfortunately I won't be at and haven't attended Animethon in a very long time but if you're going, tomorrow or Sunday a very cool friend of mine Mandi Chiem will be at the Artist gallery, so say hi to her if you're in the area.

Animethon also has some pretty sick guests this year including Combofiend!!

PK Gaming

Soul Eater

That was an abrupt (but decent) ending, I like how it was a throwback to the absurdity of the first chapter. The characters that mattered all got some fair exposure, but I can't help feel disappointed at the unresolved plot points. (Maka's mother?!?) Still, i'm glad Soul Eater finally wrapped up, it was a fun ride!

#Boobs

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
NISEKOI

Anyone, everyone, and all their mothers and grandmothers know that the long-haired girl will win by default.

So why would anyone still read this if it doesn't even have a "suspense" on "who is the girl that the idiot will end up with."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom