• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Demo on eShop [up in JP/EU, now up in NA]

Hypron

I don't understand how its anti-consumer. Are we now entitled to free unlimited demos? As someone who wants developers to be rewarded for their work, im super ok with this and think is not only smart, it is also logical and ethical.

For me: yes. Game demos have been unlimited forever (they already contain a limited amount of content, so what's the point of limiting the number of times you can play them?), I don't see why they should start being limited now. And this is coming from a guy that never bought a single used game because I want to support devs.

Wall of text incoming-- I'm not the best at explaining things, but I did my best! Hope it explains some things and helps everyone understand how to do longer air combos and stay aggressive all the time.

Default buttons and controls:
A - Your standard attack button. Does different things depending on the weapon you have drawn currently, pretty straightforward. Draw your shape and press this to make it appear. Not much to say.

X - AKA the homie throw. This move seems kind of whatever at first, but it's vital for good movement and control during fights. This move is important for two big reasons:
1. If you keep using this against an enemy, a red circle will appear them. This is kind of like a lock-on of sorts. Basically the next attack aimed in the direction of that enemy will teleport you straight to them with your attack. This is great for quickly maneuvering around a battle and it's also very good if you're fighting a single large enemy and are trying to weave around them.
2. If you continue to hit them with it, they will eventually be stunned. I think they can still attack while in this state, but they cannot move. This stun allows you to launch the enemy guaranteed so if you want to do a combo, you should start with this.
Also refills your battery gauge*

Y - Makes you dash. This buttons seems pretty pointless in combat, but it actually functions a lot like the blade mode cancel in Metal Gear Rising. Basically during any action you perform, you can tap this button to completely cancel out of it (I'll just refer to it as a dash cancel). So at any point during any attack you can hit this to completely recover to your default stance (no weapon out). This is useful for keeping up constant offense as well as making any attacks safe.

ZL - Jello block. Not much to say about it, it blocks and reflects attacks. The window for this is very lenient, so you don't have to worry too much. Can dash cancel to recover faster.

ZR - Spring dodge. Uses 1 battery icon in Story (apparently challenge mode in the demo is set to Easy stage)*. Basically the dodge from Bayonetta. This game has the dodge offset system that Bayonetta such a brilliant game, so if you're familiar with it you'll feel at home. Not going to explain it as it's kinda hard to put into words, but I'm sure there are guides on it.

Wonder Rising is the default launcher for every weapon is B then A (jump then attack in quick succession). You will rise into the air with your weapon allowing you to aircombo.

I'm not going to go too into the Unite Morph system, as it's been explained a million times. The most important thing for combos however, is the fact that you can actually draw a weapon's shape and hit X instead of A to have the weapon come out and do a preset combo or attack and disappear again (I'll refer to these as assists from now on). It's important to note that you can only do this as long as you have spare heroes left over. So this means if you draw a sword using all of your heroes, you cannot use any assists. Because of this, I prefer to keep my weapons small or medium sized. I'd rather have more options over raw power, personally.

The assists always do the same thing:
Red - Standard AAAA combo
Blue - Standard AAAAA combo
Green - Shoots 360 degrees around you
Pink - AAA combo
Yellow - Single strike

I'm not really crazy about Pink or Yellow's assists personally, but I'm sure they have their uses. Red and Blue are great for combo filler and general assists while fighting. I like Red for air combos and Blue for crowd control on the ground. Green is a great crowd control tool since it shoots all around you.

R-Stick vs. Touchscreen - Generally, both schemes work fine for drawing. I know some people prefer the screen but I like the right stick more. You don't have to move your thumb too far from the buttons (especially the vital dash button) and you really don't need to be THAT precise with the shapes in the demo besides Yellow. It's also worth pointing out that the game triggers slo-mo when you begin drawing, but ONLY in the story mode. I don't know if the final game will change things (I'm going to assume the final difficulty will not have it) so because of this I recommend the stick. It's faster to get to and gets the job done. If you can draw your shapes during combos using the touchscreen, more power to you.

General combo stuff:

Use the X button a lot! I like to harass enemies with it first since it can cause the stun state which makes air combos guaranteed. Sometimes you can launch unstunned enemies, but it's too random for me. I like guaranteed launches. The teleport feature is also VERY good as you can tag an enemy and go focus on another one farther away and then teleport back to it after you're done. It's also great against big targets since you can basically fly around them attacking and they'll be mostly helpless.

This game (at least the demo) doesn't really have many strings. Each weapon has one string on the ground and one in the air. Adding pauses between attacks doesn't seem to change anything. It's pretty clear there will be unique moves in the final game though. But that's where the dash cancel comes in!

The Dash Cancel is pretty much the most important thing to combos and general offense in this game. At any point while attacking or blocking you can hit Y to cancel out of it completely. It recovers you to your default stance immediately allowing you to follow up with whatever you want. So this means with Blue equipped you can do something like this to a stunned enemy:
AA, wonder rising, jump.AA, dash cancel, j.AA, wonder rising, j.AA, dash cancel, jAAAAA then dash cancel away to continue your assault.

Also note that you just have to tap Y, you don't have to hold it or move in any directions or anything. A simple tap works.

I previously said that Red and Blue are great combo fillers, so what you're going to want to do is start mixing their assists into your air combos and ground game. So starting with Blue you can do AA, wonder rising, wonder rising, j.AA, dash cancel, j.AA, summon Red assist, j.AAAAA. If done right you'll basically be juggling the enemy all the way into the upper edge of the screen (I've had a few instances where they're no longer even visible). You can also swap your weapon mid combo to get even fancier so in theory it's probably possible to do something like: wonder rising with Blue, dash cancelled after one hit then swap to Green for his wonder rising then his mash follow-up while calling the Yellow assist to slam the enemy back down.

So all in all, while this game does not have the combat depth or variety of DMC3 or something, there are some options to get creative with the tools here. So while the game may seem mashy at first, it gives you the tools to do some more elaborate combos. I didn't do exact tests of the combos listed, but in theory they should work fine (or at least with some small tweaks). I think for the most part, combo monsters will enjoy the playground this game gives you over Metal Gear Rising due to all of the tools you have here.

*=Thanks KniveSmith!

Gbraga

I think for the most part, combo monsters will enjoy the playground this game gives you over Metal Gear Rising due to all of the tools you have here.

tumblr_mgvhdh9zaQ1rijmvyo1_500.gif

Jrs3000

I figured out how to get the Hammer guy in mission mode. I don't know if this is already known or not. Draw a question mark starting from the bottom drawing the a straight line up then into the hook like drawing the letter C. It will look like a question mark and the trail will turn orange so you know you did it right.

popyea

Loving this game so much. Thought I was on my way to getting a pure platinum in the story mode, but then those tanks with the hard shells screwed me up. You definitely can't be as aggressive when fighting them. I noticed that even launching them and attacking them in the air will cause you to bounce off if they've still got that armor.

I tried to finish off an air combo with the Gun's rising attack like in the direct, but can't seem to do it. Looks amazing though.

Also, there's no way to play through the story with Whip and Hammer is there? I unlocked them through mission mode thinking that they would be there for story mode but I couldn't use them.

Dr.Hadji

For me: yes. Game demos have been unlimited forever (they already contain a limited amount of content, so what's the point of limiting the number of times you can play them?), I don't see why they should start being limited now. And this is coming from a guy that never bought a single used game because I want to support devs.

Entitled doesn't mean "because I feel I should have _____" , or "it should be because that's they way it was before". Entitlement has pretty formal roots the definition draws from. Unless there was some promise made from Nintendo to us the consumers I don't see how we're entitled to anything when it comes to FREE demos.

zroid

Banned
I will say there are two ways it is like Pikmin, aside from the obvious, but purely superficial similarities

1. you collect dudes to increase your overall "strength"

2. you have to manage your dudes to an extent (though much less than in Pikmin)

I don't understand how its anti-consumer. Are we now entitled to free unlimited demos? As someone who wants developers to be rewarded for their work, im super ok with this and think is not only smart, it is also logical and ethical.

Let me add one further: Are we even entitled to owning or even god forbid playing the games we buy?! I think we should only be able to give our hard earned money to our gaming overlords without expecting a game in return. It's only fair to their hard work.

Proven

Tyrant Rave put up a pretty good guide. Things I want to add...

Team/Grab attacks refill your battery gauge. You tend to not need it most of the time unless you're using dodge or a ton of Multi-Morphs, but it's something to keep in mind. I think the game was originally meant to be a flow between the two attack buttons, however it's not as necessary in demo. Either the demo is much easier than the main game, or they just decided on a different flow.

Mission mode puts you on the "Easy" mission, and for whatever reason that means infinite battery gauge. So go crazy.

Haines

Banned
It absolutely has some pikmin inspiration. Hell your normal attack makes dudes cling on to the enemy.

Inspiration is where it ends tho.

I've gone from bronze, to silver, and finally to gold on my three story mode playthroughs. Feels nice to have a visual that shows that I'm actually improving after the initial confusion I had with the game.

This demo took me from interested, to worried, to skeptical, to super hyped. Looking forward to the full game!

Tyrant Rave put up a pretty good guide. Things I want to add...

Team/Grab attacks refill your battery gauge. You tend to not need it most of the time unless you're using dodge or a ton of Multi-Morphs, but it's something to keep in mind. I think the game was originally meant to be a flow between the two attack buttons, however it's not as necessary in demo. Either the demo is much easier than the main game, or they just decided on a different flow.
I'll add that! I had no clue it refilled your meter

Mission mode puts you on the "Easy" mission, and for whatever reason that means infinite battery gauge. So go crazy.

That definitely explains it-- I've only tried the story demo on Normal. Is there anything else that changes on easier difficulties?

DJ88

I just uploaded my playthrough of getting a platinum ranking on normal. I don't have any fancy direct capture so it's off screen, and I'm pretty much playing through it as fast as possible, but I still think it shows how fun the game's combat can be. I'll admit I'm a sword whore. I use it pretty much exclusively through the run, but I just love the thing too damn much. Stringing together the other unite morphs is a lot of fun too, but I just wanted to slice everything up into pieces.

http://youtu.be/eiIWeutoj4Q

Here are some of the strategies that I use.

1. Draw the longest sword you can whenever those tiny enemies are about to spawn. If you draw a big and powerful enough sword, you'll be able to take them all out with a few swipes. They are by far the most annoying enemy in the demo for me.

2. Always hold Y. It keeps all your heroes together in a tight group preventing them from getting caught up in attacks from other enemies you aren't focusing on. Pressing Y also cancels out your morph. You can get some quick hits in on those small guys and send them flying with A, then Y to dash back up on them, and A again to continue the attacks.

3. Pudding is your friend. I used to always use the spring dash, but now it's pudding exclusively. It will almost always stun an attacking enemy. One that bastard is stunned, you can send his ass flying into the air with B+A and do whatever you want with him. You can juggle him in the air for a bit, or draw a few morphs to pummel him around.

I can not wait for the final game. Once the combat in this demo finally clicked, the gameplay has been super rewarding and satisfying. And although I feel like I've got the combat down, this demo being an early level, I know I'll be getting my ass kicked again later so there's still a lot left to learn.

Hypron

Entitled doesn't mean "because I feel I should have _____" , or "it should be because that's they way it was before". Entitlement has pretty formal roots the definition draws from. Unless there was some promise made from Nintendo to us the consumers I don't see how we're entitled to anything when it comes to FREE demos.

Okay then. We might not be entitled to anything, but they're still delivering a product (even if it's free) that's below industry standards.

zroid

Banned
lol, I Pure Platinum'd the first tank on my 2nd playthrough, thanks to you guys :p

Pretty sure I got a consolation medal before ~_____~

Regiruler

Someone said earlier that there was a hidden figurine past the bridge. I couldn't find it.

They said the building with the metro sign, does that mean the building to your right when you go through the portion with the rockets?

neo2046

Not sure if this has been posted before but this guy has made a video where he plays through the whole demo. He's pretty good and explains certain things so it might be worth watching if you're having trouble.

Link
http://youtu.be/lRdRo5MxaJY
(He's a pretty great LPer too by the way.)

wow this walkthrough are really very good !
lots of description about the battle system
and also very cool air combos demonstration

thanks for the share !

zroid

Banned
bumped up from consolation prize on my 1st try to gold on my 2nd :D

i'm still slow and take too much damage, but pretty good at executing combos now. multi-unite morphs and air combos ain't no thang.

Proven

Well I just uploaded my playthrough of getting a platinum ranking on normal. I don't have any fancy direct capture so it's off screen, and I'm pretty much playing though it as fast as possible, but I still think it shows how fun the game's combat can be. I'll admit I'm a sword whore. I use it pretty much exclusively through the run, but I just love the thing too damn much. Stringing together the other unite morphs is a lot of fun too, but I just wanted to slice everything up into pieces.

http://youtu.be/eiIWeutoj4Q

Here are some of the strategies that I use.

1. Draw the longest sword you can whenever those tiny enemies are about to spawn. If you draw a big and powerful enough sword, you'll be able to take them all out with a few swipes. They are by far the most annoying enemy in the demo for me.

2. Always hold Y. It keeps all your heroes together in a tight group preventing them from getting caught up in attacks from other enemies you aren't focusing on. Pressing Y also cancels out your morph. You can get some quick hits in on those small guys and send them flying with A, then Y to dash back up on them, and A again to continue the attacks.

3. Pudding is your friend. I used to always use the spring dash, but now it's pudding exclusively. It will almost always stun an attacking enemy. One that bastard is stunned, you can send his ass flying into the air with B+A and do whatever you want with him. You can juggle him in the air for a bit, or draw a few morphs to pummel him around.

I can not wait for the final game. Once the combat in this demo finally clicked, the gameplay has been super rewarding and satisfying. And although I feel like I've got the combat down, this demo being an early level, I know I'll be getting my ass kicked again later so there's still a lot left to learn.

Really, really nice. What camera did you use for this? It was good quality, and placed well. I'm sad you didn't do any of the secret missions... but still, please do a video of mission mode.

antibolo

Banned
Fuckin' love this game so much.

All the colourful charm of a Nintendo game, but with the depth of a Platinum game.

Sept. 15 can't come soon enough.

DJ88

Really, really nice. What camera did you use for this? It was good quality, and placed well. I'm sad you didn't do any of the secret missions... but still, please do a video of mission mode.

Thanks, it was just my iPad propped up on a chair haha.

Yeah I hadn't even tried them before I took the video. I did them later on and regretted waiting so long to give them a shot. I should've included them in my run :/

And I'll have to get better at mission mode before doing a video for that. It's a whole different beast.

Great demo, save for one thing that really, really bothers me, that being the gimmick section where you have to go into the warehouse and look at the WiiU Gamepad. Whats the point of allowing Pro Controller support if I have to play with the gamepad next to me the whole time? It's such a pain.

zroid

Banned
Great demo, save for one thing that really, really bothers me, that being the gimmick section where you have to go into the warehouse and look at the WiiU Gamepad. Whats the point of allowing Pro Controller support if I have to play with the gamepad next to me the whole time? It's such a pain.

Hmmm... iirc there's a way to put the gamepad display in the corner of the TV screen. not sure how annoying it is to toggle on/off, though, or if you can even do it without the gamepad itself.

Hmmm... iirc there's a way to put the gamepad display in the corner of the TV screen. not sure how annoying it is to toggle on/off, though, or if you can even do it without the gamepad itself.

Yeah, you can hit select to toggle it, but it's not very responsive and the in warehouse view is at the gamepad resolution, and as you're turning you gotta switch back to the outside of the warehouse view. It's a mess. Weird blemish on an otherwise fantastic demo.

Regiruler

Yeah, you can hit select to toggle it, but it's not very responsive and the in warehouse view is at the gamepad resolution, and as you're turning you gotta switch back to the outside of the warehouse view. It's a mess. Weird blemish on an otherwise fantastic demo.

You just set it to the third mode, aka "display secondary in the corner" mode. Have the warehouse in the corner.

Whats the point of buying a wii u if you dont want to play a game that takes advantage of the 2nd screen? ;)

re are some of the strategies that I use.

I just make them part of my team. :p
Managed to befriend the cockpit type enemies as well

Such an awesome game

LocalE

wow, lol.

Whenever I read anyone use swear words to describe video-games, I lose all respect for their opinion.

I think a similar phenomenon is responsible for the seeming profusion of grey-brown shooters lately.
Some people lose all respect for a video game that uses colors.

I think you run the risk of people losing respect for your opinion if harmless swear words, not used in mean spirit, are a point of contention for you!

I can speak my mind without the need of swear words. I don't let anger control me.

If they don't respect my opinion, then so be it.

Neiteio

I can speak my mind without the need of swear words. I don't let anger control me.

If they don't respect my opinion, then so be it.
lol, my point is swear words are harmless as long as they're not directed against people with hurtful intent. The way that guy used it was completely harmless. :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like the gamepad

From what I've seen in the trailer it looks like there's alot of creative uses for it

Biggest problem I had using it was adjusting to A(the left button) being confirm instead of the bottom button like on US PS3 and Xbox

MarkusRJR

wow, lol.

Whenever I read anyone use swear words to describe video-games, I lose all respect for their opinion.
If you lose respect for someone's opinion if they swear, then you're going to miss out on a lot of things.

Or maybe you're just mad because he doesn't like the Game Pad? I can't tell.

Neiteio

The GamePad definitely hasn't done enough to justify itself as a major feature of the WiiU. Nobody seems to know what to do with it. I liked it in Nintendo Land (fantastic game), and I hear it was great in Zombi U. Beyond that... Kind of pointless, but man is it comfy!

The GamePad definitely hasn't done enough to justify itself as a major feature of the WiiU. Nobody seems to know what to do with it. I liked it in Nintendo Land (fantastic game), and I hear it was great in Zombi U. Beyond that... Kind of pointless, but man is it comfy!

It was pretty great in ZombiU, really, you could have just added a minimap and added the abiltiy to control the inventory with a pro controller and it'd work just the same. ZombiU is great despite the gamepad, not because of it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Okay, I'm stuck because I'm half sleep deprived half-idiot, but I'm at the part where
you save the citizens by cutting the crane boards, but there's a a guy behind there in need of help, how the hell do I help him?

Also can I only play this 20 times?

Top Bottom