• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aizo

Banned
As a whole? A few races left out here and there plus some deeper character development that's pretty rewarding. Fifth Stage ended with this last race just starting so the anime should pick back up with this race whenever Final Stage comes out.

I just wish the chapters would be released quicker. The last chapter in the series came out at the end of July and we're still 40+ away from it.

I've seen it all through Fifth Stage; I can imagine that character development is missing. Who has rewarding development?

Dresden

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - 06

The worst thing about the manga is the main guy's obsession with waifus, but outside of that, this is turning out to be a pretty nice read.

gviLqiz.jpg

This is for Solune.

Yamada 73

So to dispel the seventh witches power, you have to give the person another power to take its place. Yamada's going to have to kiss the entire school and put the entire school under his spell. Should be interesting.

I wonder if Urasawa's 41 page Monster Kingdom one-shot is going to be published anywhere as a standalone volume. It's in the newest issue of Big Comics released during the weekend. It sounds pretty interesting. It's set in an alternate reality where Tokyo has been the victim of many monster attacks over the years, and they have developed ways to minimize the damage caused by such attacks. As a side effect though, Tokyo has also become a huge tourist attraction for monster fans from around the world. The main character is a French monster fan who travels to Tokyo for sightseeing, and he meets a woman who has lost family members to monster attacks. I wanna read... :(
That story sounds way to good to only be a oneshot. Editors must do everything in their power to facilitate a series. Get Urasawa twenty assistants.

Nobunaga no Chef 35-43
Fistfuls of food and history swag. I wish there wasn't a death flag on Mori :(

Yamada 73
Yamada's just gonna make the school into his own personal harem ._.

zroid

Banned
Arisa is another one of those manga you wouldn't expect to be any good at first blush, but then it ends up being pretty neat.

Miwaku Shikake - Amai Wana 2
tumblr_mrfck17w0Y1qbxqfpo1_250.png

This manga feels a bit different in someways, I guess making the people seem real but then the lead protagonist is kind of rude and disrespectful. Though his situation seems odd with that old man the company has to keep a contract with. I wonder how the writer will handle the situation to get him out of it without having to resort to sexual means, though I guess he has to do it with either hachidori or with that old company man (unless hachidori is just joking).

Lain

Not quite abs-currate

So true.

Idol A volume 1
R0t.jpg

Edition for this one is massive compared to the norm, which surprised me (and it also explains the 7€ price, in a way).
The starting pages of the story were confusing me, until I caught up to the switch between the two characters. I really like the premise of the story, with the two exchanging roles like that but what I like most of all is how initially Azusa seems the genius and by the end of the volume it's clear Keita is even more amazing by the sheer fact he's so good at portraying Azusa.
The story is absurd, the characters are absurd in their own way but damn if it isn't fun.

Akito

Idol A volume 1
http://i.picpar.com/R0t.jpg[img]

Edition for this one is massive compared to the norm, which surprised me (and it also explains the 7€ price, in a way).
The starting pages of the story were confusing me, until I caught up to the switch between the two characters. I really like the premise of the story, with the two exchanging roles like that but what I like most of all is how initially Azusa seems the genius and by the end of the volume it's clear Keita is even more amazing by the sheer fact he's so good at portraying Azusa.
The story is absurd, the characters are absurd in their own way but damn if it isn't fun.[/QUOTE]
Italy really gets everything :(

Idol A is just Adachi making fun of his own works, how all his characters looking the same and what's not. And then he mocks Idol A in [url=http://i.minus.com/ioouvF1lk5LfR.jpg]one of his other works[/url] to complete the cycle :D.

Akito

We have Idol A and Q And A in France, too.
(this sentence is confusing)
Yes, France gets everything, too, that what you wanted to hear?
:p

Yup, and I was really disapointed to see that Idol A only have one volume, it could have evolved in some interesting ways.

I hope we also are gonna get Mix.
It's not complete as far as I know but I guess it's questionable if there will be ever enough chapters to make a second volume.

elyetis

It's not complete as far as I know but I guess it's questionable if there will be ever enough chapters to make a second volume.
It's also what I though, but my recent search brought nothing, and as it's last chapter seems to be 5 year's old I doubt Adachi intend to make it continue.
I'm also kind of lost with Over Fence, it's also seems to be stopped but there again i'm really not sure.

They could still publish older series like Slow step ( i'm only reading chapter of it recently online ) and Itsumo Misora which never got to france.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
US Jump TOC for August 12th 2013

One Piece
Naruto
One-Punch Man
Nisekoi
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Toriko
World Trigger
Dragon Ball

As DTL pointed out above, there's no Jump next week so we're getting a special Naruto issue.

Acid08

Banned
I've been wondering this for a while; what is the history behind manga being released in the format it is(in magazines) instead of as single chapter books like American comics? As I've been reading more manga I realized that I don't have a very realistic view of how there comics are actually released. It seems like a much better business model to have while the Big Two companies over here are struggling to get people to buy expensive single issues. Do any comics come out in Japan in a different format such as digital or single issues? How many major magazines are there and do they specialize in certain genres?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
US Jump TOC for August 12th 2013

One Piece
Naruto
One-Punch Man
Nisekoi
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Toriko
World Trigger
Dragon Ball

As DTL pointed out above, there's no Jump next week so we're getting a special Naruto issue.
Its just the one-shot, right? That one was weird as shit since like the bad guys were like armed robbers carrying automatic pistols.

Kurita

I've been wondering this for a while; what is the history behind manga being released in the format it is(in magazines) instead of as single chapter books like American comics? As I've been reading more manga I realized that I don't have a very realistic view of how there comics are actually released. It seems like a much better business model to have while the Big Two companies over here are struggling to get people to buy expensive single issues. Do any comics come out in Japan in a different format such as digital or single issues? How many major magazines are there and do they specialize in certain genres?
Well magazines are all targetted to a specific demographic.
For instance, the Weekly Shounen Jump (with One Piece, Bleach...) is for male pre-teens/teenagers.
A magazine like Margaret is for female pre-teens/teenagers...
And there are some more specific magazine that really are about one genre like magazines featuring only Mahjong mangas...

I guess the major magazines would be the Shounen Jump, Shounen Magazine, Young Jump, Gekkan Shounen Magazine...

Acid08

Banned
Well magazines are all targetted to a specific demographic.
For instance, the Weekly Shounen Jump (with One Piece, Bleach...) is for male pre-teens/teenagers.
A magazine like Margaret is for female pre-teens/teenagers...
And there are some more specific magazine that really are about one genre like magazines featuring only Mahjong mangas...

I guess the major magazines would be the Shounen Jump, Shounen Magazine, Young Jump, Gekkan Shounen Magazine...
How expensive are these? I haven't bought a Jump in the US in ages but I think I remember them being around $10 per.

How big is the manga audience in Japan? Numbers wise, comparatively, a comic book here is maximum usually around 100k issues sold. And that's for the big books like Batman; most series are much lower.

Kurita

How expensive are these? I haven't bought a Jump in the US in ages but I think I remember them being around $10 per.

How big is the manga audience in Japan? Numbers wise, comparatively, a comic book here is maximum usually around 100k issues sold. And that's for the big books like Batman; most series are much lower.
Magazines are quite cheap, they're like 5 dollars I think. That's because the quality isn't that good, and people just leave them in public places (trains...) when they're done with it.

Manga volumes... Well depends on the series.
One Piece sells more than 2 million units in a week when a new volume is released.

Come here when weekly sales are posted (around Tuesday/Wednesday), numbers speak for themselves.

Akito

It's also what I though, but my recent search brought nothing, and as it's last chapter seems to be 5 year's old I doubt Adachi intend to make it continue.
I'm also kind of lost with Over Fence, it's also seems to be stopped but there again i'm really not sure.

They could still publish older series like Slow step ( i'm only reading chapter of it recently online ) and Itsumo Misora which never got to france.
Both have an irregular schedule so he can pop out a new chapter whenever he wants to, he did need 6 years for the 6 Idol A chapters for example. I can't say that he still intends to make more but at least there was a time when he wanted to because it clearly says "volume 1" on the cover.

Magazines are in a way just an advertising tool for the tank volumes, they are dirt cheap and the paper they are printed on is usually of very low quality. They are meant to be bought by many and tossed away afterwards, you'd then buy the tanks for the series you're interested in later on. With most of the mags specialize at a specific audience (there are some which focus solely on housewives for example), you can find a series which interest you much easier, the same for the publishers who can market specific content to a certain audience much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom