• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

It won't launch in September because of GTA V.

Beyond: Two Souls is October 11th, and I think Sony will want to maximize sales for that game.

Also most 3rd Party games won't launch until late October / early November.

I'd say a late October release is very possible (and perfect timing IMO).

September is too early. one month? do they even have advert materials for launching countries and stuff. sounds too hectic. October sounds good though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
September seems too early to me. Not because I don't think hardware will be ready, I just don't think that games will be ready in time. Mid-late October sounds perfect.

shoplifter

Yeah they'll give people at least a month and a half warning I'm sure. Would be dumb if they announced a release date just a few weeks away from the actual release =/.

Why? They already have a ridiculous number of pre-orders sold, launching in September give them a full extra month of holiday sales if they have adequate stock to ship to stores, not to mention kicking MS directly in the sack.

I'm not counting on September, but I don't see why they couldn't do it. This isn't 1995. There's plenty of hype out there already for the new consoles and a month would be plenty of time. Apple regularly gives less than a month notice for new iOS products, and Macbooks are usually same-day announcements. I'd think it's really down to whether or not enough software is ready, as it seems hardware supplies are fine.

Elginer

Next month would be amazing. OMG IF TRUE!
MY BODY IS READY.
z4iPiFQ.gif

bebop242

The Agent was just the dude that negotiated this...it was never an exclusive game... OMFG..
Its strange, but that thought crossed my mind at work last night What if they announce an exclusive next gen port for PS4 next week? Rockstar kinda owes Sony for Agent, it would explain why the game looks so good in trailers and also why Rockstar is at gamescom next week. Megaton if true, but far fetched for sure.

It won't launch in September because of GTA V.

Beyond: Two Souls is October 11th, and I think Sony will want to maximize sales for that game.

Also most 3rd Party games won't launch until late October / early November.

I'd say a late October release is very possible (and perfect timing IMO).

Exactly, I think the week of Oct 21 now makes the most sense with the current slate of software releases. It will give Sony's launch titles some space on shelves before major third parry releases in November, and allow them to resupply by black Friday.

Coiote

Where is the people getting the september date from? It's too damn early. Games wouldn't be finished and rushed to the market. I would pity DriveClub if this was true.

Now October 21st, that date is more reasonable. It would even give Sony's line up a chance against the blockbusters, something that they definetely need.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hmm, could be reading to much into this but here's a post from DICE about BF4:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/14/battlefield-4-bring-your-ps3-stats-to-ps4/

Even if you start playing on PS3, we want to make your transition to PS4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PS4.

That way, on October 29th, you can get in the game without any worries that you’ll have to start ranking up all over again when PS4 launches. We got your back.

DICE CM implying that the PS4 will launch after the 29th.

Not that I think a community manager at DICE would know the PS4 launch date, but still.

edit: nevermind, this is a copy/paste from the BF4 blog on how both next gen systems stats will carry over. Basically means nothing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DICE and Playstation just tweeted that the stats from BF4 on PS3 will transfer to PS4 when it launches some time after October 29th. Pretty moot if the PS4 launches in October.
EDIT: Beaten

EDIT: The GAF works fast. Everything I mention below has already been raised. Ha

So, this doesn't exactly deny the rumor of an October release for the PS4, but I thought it should be mentioned anyway. Vincent Vukovic, the Community Manager at DICE just posted this on the official PlayStation Blog regarding PS3-to-PS4 statistic transfers:

"Even if you start playing on PS3, we want to make your transition to PS4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PS4.
That way, on October 29th, you can get in the game without any worries that you’ll have to start ranking up all over again when PS4 launches. We got your back.

Again, this doesn't put an end to the rumor - but I find the wording interesting.

DieH@rd

Banned
The lastest PS Blog entry covers the abbility of BF4 to transfer MP progression data from PS3 to PS4, and it also implies that PS4 will come out after BF4 enters sale on PS3.

Even if you start playing on PlayStation 3, we want to make your transition to PlayStation 4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PlayStation 4.

That way, on 1st November, you can get in the game without any worries that you’ll have to start ranking up all over again when PlayStation 4 launches. We got your back.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...-for-battlefield-4-players-to-upgrade-to-ps4/

Note: this was from EU blog, EU version of BF4 comes out on Oct31 [info from wiki]

One thing in Europe we have The Champions League (football (Soccer) tournament) that has been sponsored by Sony for as long as I can remember. At all adverts their Logo and advert comes up, so tournament starts in early October so will be great exposure for them in Europe

Kuro

EDIT: The GAF works fast. Everything I mention below has already been raised. Ha

So, this doesn't exactly deny the rumor of an October release for the PS4, but I thought it should be mentioned anyway. Vincent Vukovic, the Community Manager at DICE just posted this on the official PlayStation Blog regarding PS3-to-PS4 statistic transfers:

"Even if you start playing on PS3, we want to make your transition to PS4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PS4.

Again, this doesn't put an end to the rumor - but I find the wording interesting.

He probably just doesn't know when it launches quite yet. Also, the stats transfer is more a way to get late launch adopters on board.

brandnew

While a September or October release date would be pretty exciting, I think I might actually cancel my preorder if it's that soon. I really don't want a PS4 until at least November.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While a September or October release date would be pretty exciting, I think I might actually cancel my preorder if it's that soon. I really don't want a PS4 until at least November.

Aside from money issues, what's the difference in getting it in late October or November?

Boss Man

The wording definitely implies that it won't be launching on 10/29, I suppose whether or not he knows is another issue though.

Into

How many leaks were there prior to 20th February showing, the controller that came with the devkit.

How many leaks were there prior to Sony's E3? None, nobody knew what the were doing, there was a whole hoopla whether they also would be always online or limit used games

Why would some community manager that works for another company suddenly have this information?

Sony used to be known as the kings of leaking information, they have drastically changed that, as clearly evident by E3 this year.

The only way this makes sense is if you won't have enough money to pay for it until then.

SJRB

Gold Member
If they release at the end of October they have Assassin's Creed IV as a launch title, which is a HUGE deal.

no. but would be cool if they did another E3 where Tretton calls out all the countries that microsoft isn't launching this year. the timing was great. but they wouldn't have time to do that right.. right?

It will be glorius if they just show a huge ass long list of the countries they are launching in day 1. And why wouldn't they have time to plan that for their conference?

Top Bottom