• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Eknots

At the ps4 reveal back in feb I felt really "meh" about this game but ever since e3 it seems really good. Still confused where GT fits into this :/

Great! I hope they don't do this just because forum bitching of few folks and MS touting 'yay we got 60fps!!!!!!' ... hope they go with their vision of the game. When devs listen to forum bitching usually the game goes down the toilet e.g KZ2 MP to KZ3 MP

My faith is in Evo, 30fps or 60fps. But dammit, I want weather too at some point. Don't sacrifice variety for framerate.

Yeah, really disappointed that there won't be any weather. To me, that's one of the best things about these type of outdoor/nature-esque racers (NFS Hot Pursuit (2010), Forza Horizon, etc.).

Though Horizon didn't have any weather now that I remember.

buy a PC.

Can't get Sony exclusives on PC.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just downloaded that issue on iPad. The quote is accurate. It does say 60fps.

i dont doubt the accuracy of the quote itself, just the information it contains. hope its true, but it wouln't be the first time a publication completely f'ed up the framerate of a game.

Afrikan

So if I have plus now , I will git this game for "free" when I get a PS4?

yes, part of it....you'll be missing a few cars and a few tracks...or it might be half the cars and half the tracks.

But you'll have the full gameplay features.

you'll have the option to pay a bit to upgrade it to the full version though.

Theecliff

Banned
No, just the usual pics. Not much new info either.

It compares the handling to PGR and also states that "compared to The Crew and Forza 5 It may be fighting a losing battle in the visuals department".

Is it possible they were still being shown the 35% build? Pretty sure that the guardian did a big piece on Drive Club nearly a week ago and mentioned at the end of the article that their impressions were based on the same build they used for E3.

As for the framerate thing, I think we might need Rushy in here to clarify things. Maybe it is just a mistake from the magazine considering no one else has said anything about it yet?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
*scratches head*

People whine for 60fps, visuals get toned down a little to optimize code for 60.

30fps and higher detail. I'm pretty sure it will still look good unless people take that quote and literally look for any imperfection.

People wanted 60fps and it looks like they might get it.

I personally never cared.

feezel

i dont doubt the accuracy of the quote itself, just the information it contains. hope its true, but it wouln't be the first time a publication completely f'ed up the framerate of a game.

I agree with you. They may have heard the devs say they were targeting 60 FPS and just reported that it's 60FPS.

I mean, they thought The Crew looked better so I'm not sure whether I'd trust what they say.

We don't have long to wait till Gamescom anyway! :)

Afrikan

when you know the 60fps discussion is a big thing right now with the game.....how can you, as a publication, get that wrong? I mean, you would think you would ASK/confirm if it actually is running at 60fps right? instead of just guessing.

Since I'm gullible and believe in the best in people...let alone their superiors..I don't think they made a mistake.

SilentFlyer

Some quotes from the magazine under DriveClub section. It is short, one page, preview though.

Standing up against Ubisoft’s The Crew and Turn 10’s Forza 5, DriveClub may be fighting a losing battle in the visual department. It makes up for this with an impressive stability, running at a cool 60fps.

DriveClub’s problems stem from presentation; in video and screenshots it looks like an average simulation racer – one lacking the graphical edge of its competitors. Jumping into the driver’s seat, however, reveals something else entirely.

LCfiner

Yes! That sounds great. Give me a smooth 60 fps game.

It's still possible to crank up effects and details for 30 fps replays. I don't need the same smoothness from those replay cams

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds like it will be a pretty good racer. All that matters at this point given this is launch and they've been moaned into 60fps.

Standing up against Ubisoft’s The Crew and Turn 10’s Forza 5, DriveClub may be fighting a losing battle in the visual department. It makes up for this with an impressive stability, running at a cool 60fps.
Also does not compute. Since when has Forza had an unstable framerate?

Alebrije

yes, part of it....you'll be missing a few cars and a few tracks...or it might be half the cars and half the tracks.

But you'll have the full gameplay features.

you'll have the option to pay a bit to upgrade it to the full version though.

Well , that´s cool. so temped to preorder the PS4 ....must wait ...must wait..!!!

Portugeezer

You would expect a clear step up in visuals from this gen even at 60fps. Disappointing to read.

Not really. To switch from 30fps target to 60fps target so late means a drop in everything visually, and since people were moaning about the graphics already at 30fps...

I just hope it still has real time dynamic lighting.

And no I won't believe this 60fps crap until I see it, journos have failed at judging a framerate in the past.

Afrikan

"Standing up against Ubisoft’s The Crew and Turn 10’s Forza 5,
DriveClub may be fighting a losing battle in the visual department. It makes
up for this with an impressive stability, running at a cool 60fps."

I take what I said back...man it seems like they are just guessing, what the hell?

heck in the beginning of the article they don't even say they visited Evo or that they are playing a new build compared to the one from E3.

wow.

edit- don't get me wrong. IMO DriveClub is an arcade racer, I don't expect it to run at 60fps...I'd be fully satisfied with 30fps/weather/night racing/etc with Maxed out Graphics..lol.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I can't wait to play DC. I know it will be an awesome game, having impressive visuals or not. And I liked the way it lookd at GDC too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Not sure how I feel about it. I'd rather have a better looking game from them. Motorstorm 30fps never bugged me.

this in real time, would of blown my mind.

satam55

Banned
People whine for 60fps, visuals get toned down a little to optimize code for 60.

30fps and higher detail. I'm pretty sure it will still look good unless people take that quote and literally look for any imperfection.

People wanted 60fps and it looks like they might get it.

I personally never cared.

Agreed!!!! "Driceclub" can't win. They'll still people complaining after Gamescom.

I can't wait to play DC. I know it will be an awesome game, having impressive visuals or not. And I liked the way it lookd at GDC too.

Yeah I love arcade racers and looking forward to playing it , I'm just disappointed to read what they are saying about the visuals considering Turn 10 are doing 1080p 60fps and Forza 5 looks great, a clear step up from 4.

SilentFlyer

The game looks amazing in screens and trailers. Are they even previewing the same game here?

By video they probably mean E3 demo gameplay, which was indeed not as good as trailers, or at least the track and environment they chosed didn't really portrayed the visuals in trailers, plus worth mentioning it was 35% complete. Although, they haven't mentioned about the demo build they previewed, but seem it was recent, given they are praising for it.

Other than that there is two page KZ: SF preview.

Yeah I love arcade racers and looking forward to playing it , I'm just disappointed to read what they are saying about the visuals considering Turn 10 are doing 1080p 60fps and Forza 5 looks great, a clear step up from 4.

I wouldn't really take those magazine quotes as being completely accurate. For all the criticism DC has received for its visuals, I don't think i've seen anyone before this preview say that it isn't as impressive as The Crew.

farisr

I wouldn't really take those magazine quotes as being completely accurate. For all the criticism DC has received for its visuals, I don't think i've seen anyone before this preview say that it isn't as impressive as The Crew.

Honestly, makes me question the whole segment altogether. There are two possibilities in my mind.

Possibility #1:

The previewer is looking at the E3 demo, getting tricked from post-processing/motion blurring effects and thinking the game is running at 60fps instead of 30fps, and thinking of The Crew CG trailer.

Possibility #2:

The previewer is looking at a new build that runs at 60fps, and is still thinking of The Crew CG trailer.

Actually, there is a third possibility as well:

The previewer was Totobeni.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
We know Evo is still polishing the updated build, or just finishing up rather, so I'm definitely leaning toward that preview being based on the E3 demo.

SilentFlyer

It look like GamesTM information isn't accurate. They previewed E3 build.

Paul Rustchynsky @Rushy33
@willydearborn The build that GamesTM played was running at 30fps. Whilst the Guardian article was based upon newer code than from E3.

Top Bottom