• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRANDIA HD Collection announced for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S

UP: GRANDIA HD Collection Launches March 26, 2024 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (Physical editions to be released via Limited Run Games) - Source

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. – March 12, 2024 – GungHo Online Entertainment America (GOEA) today announced that the GRANDIA HD Collection, the remaster of the classic role-playing series, will be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 26, 2024. Additionally, GOEA has partnered with Limited Run Games to release physical editions of the collection. Fans can preorder Limited Run Games’ physical edition of the GRANDIA HD Collection starting March 15, 2024.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of GRANDIA HD Collection will be compatible with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S, respectively.

Check out the GRANDIA HD Collection trailer here.

The GRANDIA HD Collection features two genre-defining role-playing games: GRANDIA and GRANDIA II. These games send players on epic adventures with protagonists Justin and Ryudo, respectively, to explore the worlds of GRANDIA and protect them from the forces of evil.

• Two Nostalgic Stories: Fans can follow both iconic journeys in the world of GRANDIA with various upgrades once more. Discover what lies beyond the End of the World with the young adventurer Justin in GRANDIA and, eons later, protect the world from eternal darkness with mercenary Ryudo in GRANDIA II.
  • Modernized Visuals: This version of GRANDIA and GRANDIA II includes enhanced UI, sprites, and texture art that brings the iconic look of the retro classics to contemporary standards, including widescreen support and visually enhanced original cinematics.
  • Classic Old-School Combat: The GRANDIA series features classic RPG combat, with physical attacks and elemental spells in a battle system that combines real-time and turn-based mechanics. The addition of Hard Mode gives players a memorable challenge as they explore the world of GRANDIA II.
  • Language Support: The GRANDIA HD Collection includes Japanese and English audio options, as well as language support for English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese (simplified and traditional).

The listing with the Grandia HD Collection went live on PSN just a short while ago:

The highly-anticipated Grandia HD Collection for PlayStation 4 and 5 are here! Get your hands on two games that changed the landscape of RPGs forever, in beautiful HD graphics.

GRANDIA: Dive into the captivating journey of Justin and his allies as they race against the sinister Garlyle Forces. Unravel the mysteries of a forgotten civilization and immerse yourself in an RPG hailed as a timeless classic, inspiring generations of games to come.

GRANDIA II: Step into the shoes of Ryudo, a jaded Geohound with a heart, as he embarks on a magical quest alongside a group of unlikely allies. Their journey is riddled with twists and turns as they seek a divine weapon to save the world. Delve deep into this tale where the line between good and evil blurs, and everything is open to question…

Last edited:

manzo

Already bought the PS5 version.

It's the PSone version, direct emulation with an emulator on top. Running on higher resolution, keeping the 4:3 frame. Save states avaiable, can choose between PAL and NTSC release in-game. Disc change happens from the emulator menu.

Last edited:

saintjules

Wow, great news, Grandia is a classic and I don't think I played the sequel.

I personally enjoyed the first one over the second but I liked the second one enough to where I got the import when it first came out.

Grandia I has an amazing story and is in my top 10. Forget what people say about the voiceovers, you'd be missing out. The music is simply amazing as well. 70s style scores. What a vibe.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The listing with the Grandia HD Collection went live on PSN just a short while ago:

While the ports aren’t perfect, they were still pretty good and games are some of the best 32bit offerings in the JRPG genre.

I got both Steam version and Switch physical (and the OG copies), and love them. It’s good to see the games release on more platforms for folks to try them.

manzo

Everyone thinking about buying this, I suggest to consider the following:

1) If you have real Saturn hardware, play the fan-translated version if your Saturn is ODE-modded (Fenrir, Satiator etc). Burned copies need to be done carefully so that the ADX music doesn't go off-sync/skip/fuck around. It's really fucking hard to burn a proper copy for a Saturn hardware to read without glitches.
2) If you don't have a Saturn, emulate the fan-translated version.
3) Otherwise this is the English PS1 version with higher resolution with it's awful (but loveable) dub and translation. Save states are a QoL improvement.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I love G2 but for some reason I still prefer the original look and fuzziness of the DC version. Glad it's getting spammed everywhere though, everyone should play it. The battle system blew me away back then. The characters though...take me back to an era of taking anime plots seriously making it all an unintentionally hilarious parody of itself. Part of the fun really!

StereoVsn

Everyone thinking about buying this, I suggest to consider the following:

1) If you have real Saturn hardware, play the fan-translated version if your Saturn is ODE-modded (Fenrir, Satiator etc). Burned copies need to be done carefully so that the ADX music doesn't go off-sync/skip/fuck around. It's really fucking hard to burn a proper copy for a Saturn hardware to read without glitches.
2) If you don't have a Saturn, emulate the fan-translated version.
3) Otherwise this is the English PS1 version with higher resolution with it's awful (but loveable) dub and translation. Save states are a QoL improvement.
I believe this does have some additional visual improvements and effects added to the PSX and PS2 versions.

Also, this is a really easy way to play these excellent games and it’s not expensive, whichever console or PC you choose.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
To be fair, it's just title HD Collection, not Remaster.
Nope. See below. Video calls each a HD remaster, and their description in the line below says it’s a remaster.

vHHh0V4.jpg

Paltheos

How come this doesn't include the third game?

I think general impression is that the games get a little worse with each entry, and that anything past 2 isn't really worth it. ... Which I say having not played Xtreme or 3 myself - that's the feel I get from browsing opinions on the series. I agree for the first two titles anyway. First game is great, second game is very good.

RavageX

Loved Grandia II on Dreamcast. Bought it on clearance back in the day.

Grandia 1 I never got into. I can't recall anything interesting happening in it either.....

Pass on this though, I'll leave those memories where they are.

Metnut

With all of the greet JRPGs this year, kind of sad not to see new Grandia, Lunar or Lufia. Would love to see someone take a sense and bring one of these series back.

Esppiral

Grandia II IS based on the vastly superior Dreamcast version right ? Don't Tell me they've choose the awful Ps2 versión as a base for the Port.

SkylineRKR

I can't play 1 anymore probably but 2 was really fun.

I do miss 3 though. It wasn't great, but it looked excellent and the combat was quite fun.

Mr Hyde

Great games but already own this collection on Switch. Would love a physical copy but Limited Run just fucking suck ass to import from, not to mention super expensive. Sick of them handling so many physical editions.

Top Bottom