• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hori Fighting Stick for Wii

Jirotrom said:
and for the people that don't own the other systems it isn't worthless. The VC has a number of games that this could be used for.

I would actually like to know a number of people who will be buying Accent Core on Wii who didnt have any of the PS2 version, I dont expect it to be very high.

and I get if people want to play VC games with it, but pretty much every game except for Neogeo ones are ment for a controller. I guess Street Fighter 2 and a few others, but in general most are ment for a Dpad.

my biggest problem with it is that Hori went with a CC type setup instead of having it plug into the GCN slot.

citrus lump said:
That wouldn't work. It'd have to plug in via the usb.

why not? a Gamecube controller works with Gamecube games, VC games, and Wii games.

the only thing you would loose out on is a home button.

Linkzg said:
I would actually like to know a number of people who will be buying Accent Core on Wii who didnt have any of the PS2 version, I dont expect it to be very high.

and I get if people want to play VC games with it, but pretty much every game except for Neogeo ones are ment for a controller. I guess Street Fighter 2 and a few others, but in general most are ment for a Dpad.

my biggest problem with it is that Hori went with a CC type setup instead of having it plug into the GCN slot.

You could just get a Hori Gamecube stick.

Linkzg said:
I don't see how that would be too much of an issue unless you're afraid that it might cause lag. The less wires that run across from the Wii to my couch, the better. I'll have my brother come over to my house tonight and see if these sticks are up to snuff. He's way better than me at Accent Core so I'll take his word.

donkey show said:
I don't see how that would be too much of an issue unless you're afraid that it might cause lag. The less wires that run across from the Wii to my couch, the better. I'll have my brother come over to my house tonight and see if these sticks are up to snuff. He's way better than me at Accent Core so I'll take his word.

its not a lag thing, it is more that I have serious doubts it would work with Gamecube games, which would increase my interest because I could play SC2 with it.

Linkzg said:
its not a lag thing, it is more that I have serious doubts it would work with Gamecube games, which would increase my interest because I could play SC2 with it.
I see where you're coming from now. Although I doubt it will work with SC2, I could try it when I get home as well.

Alrighty, impression time.

wiistick1.jpg

First thing that came to mind when I took it out of the box was the weight. It has a good heft to it like a good arcade stick should and weighs a bit more than the old Dreamcast arcade stick. The stick itself is good with the handle not being too long. It has a nice short throw feel and works great if you hold the control stick from the bottom. The face buttons are kinda clanky and have a loose feeling to them, but you get used to it easy. The default layout of the buttons is also excellent, making games like Street Fighter much better.

Plus, this looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. Nice shiny surface and the buttons don't look really cheap. It's not VSHG, but I think it feels better than the typical Hori stick overall.

But how does it play?

wiistick2.jpg

Well the reason I bought the stick in the first place was for Accent Core. Well, my brother and I messed around with it and fucking thing rocks. It pretty much controls and feels as how you would expect it to. All the motions translate well, button placement is just right, and everything responds on point. It's no cheap wannabe fighting stick. This is the real deal. If you own Accent Core on the Wii, this is pretty much a must.

But how about other games?

wiistick3.jpg

Perfect. I don't want to play with the CC for fighting games any longer (at least traditional ones anyway). Never did I have a problem pulling off a shoryuken or a spinning pile driver. :D

wiistick4.jpg

Hey, it works kinda. :lol

wiistick5.jpg

Awesome for shmups like the Star Soldier series, Gradius, etc. Turbo controller switches work like a charm if you use them as well. =)

It pretty much works with all Genesis, NES, SNES, and TG-16 games and I'm sure it will be perfect for Neo-Geo ones as well. As for N64 games, it's a no-go of course. I also tried it with several Wii games that you could use the classic controller with such as DBZ:BT2, but that didn't work so well either. Also, don't expect to be navigating the Wii Menus with the stick. It doesn't read it, which is probably why the Wiimote is connected to a long cable. It's weird though considering it read the stick controls in the home menu while attempting to play DBZ:BT2.

wiistick10.jpg

So is this thing worth buying? Fuck yes. If you have Accent Core or are planning to get it, this is a no-brainer. The same thing applies if you love classic fighting games or even shmups. As a classic controller, it works well with older games and gives them a more arcadey feeling. Great purchase and awesome build.

Zhengi

^^ Thanks for your impressions, donkey show. The controller looks interesting and I'm almost tempted to buy it. I'll wait till the Neo Geo games come out first though :)

No problem. ^^ I figure I should get the word out as to how good these sticks are, especially since they're rather multipurpose as well. =)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
thanks donkey show. My future Neogeo purchases + this stick = cant wait :D

Olaeh

That stick looks a lot nicer than I imagined. will be picking this up for sure now, ty for the impressions ^^

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
donkey show said:
Also, don't expect to be navigating the Wii Menus with the stick. It doesn't read it, which is probably why the Wiimote is connected to a long cable. It's weird though considering it read the stick controls in the home menu while attempting to play DBZ:BT2.

I assume that's because the Hori Stick (presumably) maps the joystick to the digital joypad on the Classic Controller, as opposed to the analog joysticks. You can use the analog joysticks to navigate Wii system menus.

Shito

Nice impressions, donkey show!
I suppose you don't have any Neo-Geo games yet (only Garou is available on the japanese VC, right?) to test it with?
I'd really like to know if the ABCD buttons are mapped on the BYXL stick buttons, respecting the original Neo-Geo layout, and not as a line a la Capcom.

Lee N

Membre
Shito said:
I suppose you don't have any Neo-Geo games yet (only Garou is available on the japanese VC, right?) to test it with?
I'd really like to know if the ABCD buttons are mapped on the BYXL stick buttons, respecting the original Neo-Geo layout, and not as a line a la Capcom.
What are you talking about?

BYXL on the Fighting Stick would be fucking weird.

ggl04.jpg

YXLZ would be more like the Neo Geo layout.

Shito

YXLZ would be more like the Neo Geo layout.
Nope, not really.
When you're used to the Neo-Geo stick, you tend to make a 45° angle with your buttons hand.

STICK.jpg

The "flat line" YXLZ layout is *NOT* respectful of the way you handle a Neo-Geo stick, while the BYXL, though not perfect, is much closer to this feeling.
Moreover, I wonder if the Horii stick uses its own mapping settings on the VC, or if it's using the classic controller ones, because if so...

Lee N

Membre
Shito said:
Nope, not really.

First of all, I know very well what a Neo Geo stick looks like. And I'm not talking about the angle of your hand, but the placement of the buttons relative to each others.

Judge for yourself:

kqJQtvOrv.jpg

joKwBdqzK.jpg

Shito

And I'm not talking about the angle of your hand, but the placement of the buttons relative to each others.
And I was trying to tell you that the angle of the hand was more important in this case. ^^

CTLance

Lee N said:
http://static.pici.se/pictures/kqJQtvOrv.jpg
http://static.pici.se/pictures/joKwBdqzK.jpg

You are adding a tilt that isn't on the Wii stick. The Wii fighting stick has a rather "horizontal" button layout, whereas on the NeoGeo one the buttons are arranged closer to 45°. You can't just rotate the buttons in your photoshop, as this kind of defeats the whole argument. The button layout is fixed, you can't rearrange them on the Wii fighting stick.

Thus, as far as I can see, the only way to mimic the NeoGeo layout is how it was done: BYXL.

Lee N

Membre
Shito said:
And I was trying to tell you that the angle of the hand was more important in this case. ^^
Each to their own, I suppose. I'm quite used to switching between different layouts on sticks but to me the XYLZ seems like the more sensible layout in this case, but I suppose I can deal with BYXL aswell.

Lee N

Membre
CTLance said:
You are adding a tilt that isn't on the Wii stick.
DUH.

Read my post again.. I said I'm not talking about the angle of the hand. I just wanted to show the buttons next to each others to show which layout was the most like the Neo Geo layout.. even if the angle is wrong. Obviously.

Shito said:
Yeah, I could check that tonight. I think I have enough points on my JP Wii to get some Garou action after work tonight.

I assume that's because the Hori Stick (presumably) maps the joystick to the digital joypad on the Classic Controller, as opposed to the analog joysticks. You can use the analog joysticks to navigate Wii system menus.
That's my take on it too, although I'm guessing you can trick it to think otherwise since it will randomly read it as an analog connection in random games when you press the home button. I'll have to investigate this a bit more.

Jirotrom

donkey show said:
Yeah, I could check that tonight. I think I have enough points on my JP Wii to get some Garou action after work tonight.

That's my take on it too, although I'm guessing you can trick it to think otherwise since it will randomly read it as an analog connection in random games when you press the home button. I'll have to investigate this a bit more.
how is the button layout for street fighter? Is LP MP FP all in order etc... Also are SNK titles the proper button layout? Unless you can now configure the buttons in VC games?

Jirotrom said:
how is the button layout for street fighter? Is LP MP FP all in order etc... Also are SNK titles the proper button layout? Unless you can now configure the buttons in VC games?
Like I mentioned, SFII is perfect. The layout is just like you described considering this is what the stick was essentially made for. Custom button configuration depends on the game itself if it allowed it, so there might be issues with future games (which I doubt since most used a similar setup). As for the Neo Geo games, I don't know yet. I'll check it out after work tonight.

robot

Thanks for the impressions. I just picked up the Hori EX2 for the 360, and the Wii stick sounds identical to that. Will definetly be buying this once my VC collection grows.

What's everyone's experience with Play Asia like? Am I likely to be charged import tax in the UK if I buy it from there and how long am I likely oing to be waiting for it?

Saoh

donkey show, does the Fighting Stick have some kind of rubber at the bottom so it doesn't move? sometimes players can get a little out of control :x

i do want Accent Core, but i don't think it's possible for me to import that joystick, i'll have to dig more about that later. i was thinking of using the GCN controler for Accent Core, how is it? craptacular? does it control with the GCN joystick or d-pad?

Saoh said:
i do want Accent Core, but i don't think it's possible for me to import that joystick, i'll have to dig more about that later. i was thinking of using the GCN controler for Accent Core, how is it? craptacular? does it control with the GCN joystick or d-pad?
The cube controller? I don't really want to think about using that tbh, but I'll try tonight. It works just fine with a CC, so that really should be your first option.

brain_stew said:
What's everyone's experience with Play Asia like? Am I likely to be charged import tax in the UK if I buy it from there and how long am I likely oing to be waiting for it?

If it costs over £18 you will be charged.

It might be worth waiting till October the 26th when it comes out in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000SKLUXS/

..and i think it comes out on November in the US.

jgkspsx

I'm holding out for a North American release for this, but all of my worries are pretty much taken care of. Now someone needs to make a GC adaptor for the Wii CC and this so I can use it with the GC arcade collections!

jgkspsx said:
I'm holding out for a North American release for this, but all of my worries are pretty much taken care of. Now someone needs to make a GC adaptor for the Wii CC and this so I can use it with the GC arcade collections!

Its going to be painful having both this and the Metal Slug Anthology and not being able to use them together. A Classic controller to GC adapter would be awesome if only for this reason.

Top Bottom