• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who knows if Shueisha would have let AoT survive long enough to get the massive anime spike it's received. Might have also impacted the level of violence and horror in the series as you said. I think being in a new magazine allowed it to survive with it's hideous art and annoying bouncing plot

All of that said it really did start off very strong. The first volume or two was fantastic.

Naruto 643

That's a nice moment between father and son.

Still waiting for when the two Kurama's combine into one for Naruto's power boost.

One Piece 718

Burgess sighting. Disappeared for a while there after he revealed himself.

Not happy about missing Law having a rough time with Doflamingo. Hope they show more of it in the anime.

Hayachine! 01

FdYn5xsl.png

After the death's of their parents, three siblings move out to the countryside to get taken care by their uncle. There they meet an eccentric young girl whose's also living with their uncle.

It's a slice of life series but it's pretty entertaining and funny. The first chapter was pretty great for introducing the countryside but it had a nice touch of energy that makes me want to keep reading more. It's definitely another feel good series too.

wonzo

Banned
Hayachine! 1
After the death of their parents, the three siblings Seiji, Kozue and Shima get taken in by their uncle and move from Tokyo to Ohasama in the countryside. Will they be able to adapt to their new life in the middle of nowhere? A lighthearted slice of life story begins...

A nice little slice of life series with a lot of promise. The incredibly upbeat and outgoing foreigner girl is by far the best character!

---
Raised?

...how?
The girl will now randomly lose her self control wherever she is, not just in the dorms.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shuuden na Kankei 01

7XANBYvl.jpg

An overworked young girl takes the last train home and meets the older train station worker. These meetings ends up being the bright spot in her days.

This is cute. Really cute. A sweet romantic story of these two meeting and being clumsy around each other.

Quoting this so I can check it out later.

Seems like something I would love to read. Oh how I *yearn* for good romantic stories that doesn't involve super pretty boys getting together with super pretty girls.

One Piece 718

Better late then never

Really liked this chapter, so many interesting morsels and great set up. This arc is shaping up to be one of the better ones in the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Here we go, a scan that's in the right order, looks clean, and is decently translated.

Good chapter. Everything is coming together, with the crew converging all on the same spots.
Art Art Fruit huh?
Doflamingo implied the suspicion that the losers at the tournament are turned into toys (minus Bellamy). Poor Moocy...

Aizo

Banned
20th Century Boys (Vol. 2-4)
Well, that's all the volumes I own. 'Bout time got around to reading them. I've read Urasawa before, and I really liked him back when I watched Monster, but he has a habit of introducing far too many characters. I'm worried that I won't end up loving this series by the end.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
20th Century Boys (Vol. 2-4)
Well, that's all the volumes I own. 'Bout time got around to reading them. I've read Urasawa before, and I really liked him back when I watched Monster, but he has a habit of introducing far too many characters. I'm worried that I won't end up loving this series by the end.

20th Century Boys is definitely one of the best/worst examples of an author fucking around too much. I lost count on the shitty "A is friend but no it's B but wait it's C no it's motherfucking A" and "Ooo this shit is important, but wait while I introduce C and D so you need to wait on the important stuff. Once I finish with C and D, I will go ahead with E and F" maneuvers he pulled off in 20th Century Boys.

All that trouble, and the ending of that manga was so underwhelming as well. "So why the fuck should I care" was literally my respond when I read it and the identity of Friend is revealed (after so many ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP revisions.)

Goddamn.

El Sloth

Banned
Suicide Island: 61

Damn, the village is balling with all these new prospective resources. More group hunting and philosophizing about their place and role in life is always good too.

I'm going to cherish the good times because I just know Kai and/or Sawada are gonna fuck shit up.

El Sloth

Banned
Suicide Island: 62

This fools would be nowhere without the damn dog. Also, I always end up learning something reading this comic. I didn't know that goat meat had a specific stink to it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished Ichigo 100% and is it true the ending was chosen by popular vote? What a horrible way to decide an ending.

What?

If anything the author actually received fierce backlash over its ending.

I like her gall of actually not choosing the character most people actually pining on to win. And the best girl won anyways :p

Well just finished a bunch of romance comedies. Looking for more. Any recommendations?

Here's what I've read and liked:

Ai Yori Aoshi
I's
Ichigo 100%
Kimi no Iru Machi
Love Hina

Mail Kano
Negima! Magister Negi Magi
Suzuka

Also read A.I. Love You and Chobits. Currently on Princess Lucia. Read a bunch of Pastel up to Vol. 11. a few years back. Forgot most of it already. On a pause with Oh My Goddess! as well -- and I like this series a lot!

Got my P.O.P Sabo figure in! Can't wait for this brah to show up in present time.

Oda has so much to cover its ridiculous. What is Dragon planning? What did Robin learn from him? When are the revolutionaries story going to take place? Are Roger and Dragon related? Too many to list them all. Why does everyone fear and run away (even during Ace's execution when EVERYONE was there) when Shanks shows up? He has one arm and no devil fruit power.

I can't wait to see Sabo. That's going to be huge.

I have a theory about what's going to happen. We'll know if I'm close very soon. I think Luffy is going to win that devil fruit but keep it. You know who he's going to give it to without a moments hesitation? Sabo, his third brother.

Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A 01

EeKQHQr.jpg

A high school story between a demon king, a hero and the regular villager that's in between them.

Interesting setting. Basically like a training ground for all the jRPG characters you'll meet right down to the random villager. There's a bunch of RPG jokes tossed around which makes it entertaining and the characters are pretty fun.

Pretty much feels like taking the characteristics of your jRPG characters and putting them into a high school setting. Will keep reading.

Acid08

Banned
KNIM 240

Good chapter, was a fun read. Emotions everywhere. Feel like something catastrophic is going to happen soon though.

Aizo

Banned
20th Century Boys is definitely one of the best/worst examples of an author fucking around too much. I lost count on the shitty "A is friend but no it's B but wait it's C no it's motherfucking A" and "Ooo this shit is important, but wait while I introduce C and D so you need to wait on the important stuff. Once I finish with C and D, I will go ahead with E and F" maneuvers he pulled off in 20th Century Boys.

All that trouble, and the ending of that manga was so underwhelming as well. "So why the fuck should I care" was literally my respond when I read it and the identity of Friend is revealed (after so many ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP revisions.)

Goddamn.

I look forward to the anguish.

Aizo

Banned
Gogo Monster (Vol. 1; End)
And with this, Matsumoto Taiyou continues to be one of my favorite mangaka. That was great. Matsumoto is able to capture the creativity and imagination that only children have. Every one of his pieces is fantastically unique with great art. He may not be as technically skilled as some, but he is able to capture my attention with 10 pages in a row without text. That's very impressive in a manga that is completely about character interaction.

Andromeda Stories (Vol. 2)
This continues to be quite interesting, but I still have some issues with the panel construction. Sometimes it is a bit hard to follow.

Yotsuba& (Vol. 1)
I hadn't read much of this series, but it's been a couple years, so I decided to start over. I really wish that I knew someone as cheerful as Yotsuba.

Magi

Well i will be damned.
I think the thing that bothers me the most about One Piece, when I look back on it, is just that the timeskip feels like it lacked significance. The separation of the Straw Hats was a huge and heartwrenching thing, Luffy was on his own for ages, they hyped up the years of training so much.

Then they reunite to.. virtually no fanfare. It was like they were never apart. I wanted EMOTION. This series knows how to tug at the heartstrings. But they picked up like no time had even passed. Two years of hardship swept under the rug. Luffy's horrible time in the war, never mentioned. No indication of real joy that they were finally reunited. No Luffy prostrated on his hands and feet, promising that he'll never allow something like Sabody to happen again, showing some kind of character growth after all these events and all this training. There could have been a whole mini-arc dedicated to the intra-personal realities of their sundering and reunion, and instead it was just a joke arc with the fake Straw Hats and then "welp we're back together, on to the next island." And they went to the next island, and never spoke of it again. It was the biggest build-up-letdown ever. Especially since no one really even feels any stronger. Luffy/Zoro/Sanji vs the Pacifistas was literally the only glimpse. Then no one did anything impressive ever again. And now it's been so long that any potential superhuman feats are so far divorced from the timeskip that they just feel like normal arc upgrades.

OH WELL.

Hehe, I said the same thing 2 years ago.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about One Piece, when I look back on it, is just that the timeskip feels like it lacked significance. The separation of the Straw Hats was a huge and heartwrenching thing, Luffy was on his own for ages, they hyped up the years of training so much.

Then they reunite to.. virtually no fanfare. It was like they were never apart. I wanted EMOTION. This series knows how to tug at the heartstrings. But they picked up like no time had even passed. Two years of hardship swept under the rug. Luffy's horrible time in the war, never mentioned. No indication of real joy that they were finally reunited. No Luffy prostrated on his hands and feet, promising that he'll never allow something like Sabody to happen again, showing some kind of character growth after all these events and all this training. There could have been a whole mini-arc dedicated to the intra-personal realities of their sundering and reunion, and instead it was just a joke arc with the fake Straw Hats and then "welp we're back together, on to the next island." And they went to the next island, and never spoke of it again. It was the biggest build-up-letdown ever. Especially since no one really even feels any stronger. Luffy/Zoro/Sanji vs the Pacifistas was literally the only glimpse. Then no one did anything impressive ever again. And now it's been so long that any potential superhuman feats are so far divorced from the timeskip that they just feel like normal arc upgrades.

OH WELL.

One Piece has been garbage for a good while now.

After Whitebeard died it lost all of its wonder and sense of adventure

One Piece has been garbage for a good while now.

After Whitebeard died it lost all of its wonder and sense of adventure

This current arc has more sense of adventure and wonder than last 3 arcs before the time skip.
Even FI had more and that was not that great .
As for Tathanen post i agree with certain things but not others for eg Luffy almost destroy something the size of a small island rather impressive .

Aizo

Banned
One Piece hate train combo breaker.
Edit: ninja'd... by several minutes.
Zetman (Ch. 188-190)
I think I miss the days of the Evol being mysterious. This whole arc has been lame compared to how the series once was.

upandaway

One Piece

Well dang, I just realized. All those "one-off fodders" from the tournament aren't one-offs, they'll be reappearing.. as toys.

I wonder if their designs will be based on their fighting abilities. I'm really looking forward to this now. Like the punch king, the headbutt dude fighting Luffy, Bellamy even? Whoa.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One Piece

Well dang, I just realized. All those "one-off fodders" from the tournament aren't one-offs, they'll be reappearing.. as toys.

I wonder if their designs will be based on their fighting abilities. I'm really looking forward to this now. Like the punch king, the headbutt dude fighting Luffy, Bellamy even? Whoa.

Oh great.

Another fodderized army serving to pad more 100 chapters. Introducing A...! Strawhats beats A! Introducing B...! Strawhats beats B! Introducing C...! Strawhats beats C!

Urgh... it's a mistake to read One Piece one chapter at a time. Probably best to just read it per arc.

Oh great.

Another fodderized army serving to pad more 100 chapters. Introducing A...! Strawhats beats A! Introducing B...! Strawhats beats B! Introducing C...! Strawhats beats C!

Urgh... it's a mistake to read One Piece one chapter at a time. Probably best to just read it per arc.

As i said most people do .
Then Oda take way more breaks than he used which makes things seem even longer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom