• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai 01-02

vkNvbn0l.png

Main character is 30, broke, without a job and has to support her younger boyfriend. She gets hired by her old boss whom she hates to work in his cafe and I guess love will probably blossom between the two.

The setting is pretty meh, but there's just something about this manga that caught my interest and will probably not let go. I'm not a big fan of the main character though. Kinda whiny at times but this is still pretty enjoyable. The other characters are interesting and I do rather like the back and forth between the characters.

Probably should take that site name off.

Well, you already quoted it, so...:p

They're pretty colloquial with their translations, but they usually only write like that for characters that can support it. I can buy Doflamingo talkin like that, easy.

Unless it's within the actual series context, I just find abbreviations unfitting in manga translations. If anything I found it more awkward how, uh, "they" kept stretching out certain words (I haven't read their translations in a while so I dunno if they still do it).

I'd hop onto SJA in a heartbeat for Stephen's translations if I wasn't into just one series (Nisekoi is more of a passive interest and I only read Naruto/Bleach these days for a quick laugh).

wonzo

Banned
Aoi Hana 52 END

I finally bothered to read this ending and this chapter was a massive reminder of everything wrong with this series.

1. Too many fucking characters which means&#8230;
  2. Too many forgotten faces where you have no idea who they are. This has lead to&#8230;
  3. Too many fucking chapters, padding shit out by focusing on characters that aren't Fumi or Akira which has made this entire series&#8230;
  4. Incredibly fucking long and and not worth the effort for wading through all the dumb shit.
I mean, I'm glad and all they finally got together in the end but the incredibly rushed feeling of the past few chapters has really soured what felt like a pretty good, if flawed, yuri series to read through.

tl;dr fuck shimuraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

wonzo

Banned
Nobunaga no Chef, Makai no Ossan and OPM
That's all I need in the banner.
yea but two of those are already in. i mean hipster artsy high art shit like punpun, aku no hana, soredemo etc

y'know the best of the best, none of this dumb battle shounen shitttt

R.I.P

Shokugeki No Soma

Meat for life.

Toriko

Ugh, I hate these chapters where the author just shows the exact same situation ten times in a row with just different characters, so lazy.

dumbyugi

Hime Doll 2

Something about the art seems off, it's not completly afwul but I wouldn't say it's good either. So far this has been dull. I'll give it a few more chapters but if it doesn't pick up I'm dropping it.

wonzo

Banned
Kasane 1-2
Beautiful people are loved and revered. They have everything they desire right at their fingertips...
Even if that beauty is a complete illusion.

Before Kasane's mother died, she was given a special tube of lipstick from her mother. She was told that if times ever got really really hard, she should wear the lipstick and kiss whatever she really desires.

But is this keepsake a blessing? Or a curse?
Damn, this is some good stuff. I don't remember who it was who recommended this but it's definitely worth checking out.

I dunno man.

Yotsuba& is just too good.
A testament to just how great Hinamatsuri and Soredemo are!

Toriko

Yeah, we will see the fights. Does that mean that all of the biotop 0th lost? I think so, and Midora can rain meteors all over the earth. Jesus, talk about over powered character. I guess that´s part of this manga.

Fairy Tail

If this demon connects to Deliora and other demons, than Mashina would have done a great arc. This should also be connected with Zeref, and the FT character disappearance for 7 years.
Maybe the frozen voice that Natsu is hearing is the one of a frozen dragon, or a dragon nearby.

hime doll! 2

So much txt, what even? The family issue and rising to be oneself and follow their dream is a good aspect but otherwise fairly boring. I hope this takes off soon.

Of these new series kuro kuroko is slightly more entertaining but I dont really want either to last.

Kurita

yea but two of those are already in. i mean hipster artsy high art shit like punpun, aku no hana, soredemo etc

Still on the fence about buying American volumes of Aku no Hana...
Either that or wait for someone to publish it in France.

3ocCDiS.jpg

Rin is really turning out to be of the best harem MC.

Dragons Rioting 8-9

I can't believe I'm actually going to miss the loli. Might be the first time I ever felt that way. At least, she left a nice parting gift with the pervert hamster and maybe the cosplay girl.

And the Kyouka ass shot and kimono fanservice at the end was greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, just discovered this thread. So umm latest stuff I read was

Oyasumi Punpun vol 12

maaaaan I really hope at least Nanjou will get a happy ending :/ Those spreads on the beach were wonderful.

Soul Eater last chap

series lost steam a while ago, peaked around Brew Tempest or Baba Yaga, but overall it was decent. boobs.

also, would it be okay if I bumped this thread? Have some recs.

20th Century Boys is definitely one of the best/worst examples of an author fucking around too much. I lost count on the shitty "A is friend but no it's B but wait it's C no it's motherfucking A" and "Ooo this shit is important, but wait while I introduce C and D so you need to wait on the important stuff. Once I finish with C and D, I will go ahead with E and F" maneuvers he pulled off in 20th Century Boys.

All that trouble, and the ending of that manga was so underwhelming as well. "So why the fuck should I care" was literally my respond when I read it and the identity of Friend is revealed (after so many ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP revisions.)

Goddamn.

Like with other of his suspense stories it overstays its welcome, but far more like, say Pluto. He seems to be having problems with pacing and ending his stories on a high note.A lot of side tracking, padding, milking of suspense. Pretty unfortunate. 20th CB was my fav of his up until
the first time skip
and it already felt the second one was unnecessary, and then it completely lost me with 21st CB.

Though to be frank, in a Japanese docu series called Professional iirc he was talking about how he didn't want to make this a whodunit, but he sorta went there anyway. Or maybe the editors pressure him. I know he was having a dispute with his co-writer on who to put on a color spread, because they wanted him to focus on Friend instead, but in that case he won out in putting Kenji on it.

dramatis

If you can get people to read them, sure. Right now I'm just juggling the free spots in the 'shounen' banner because Medaka Box is over and fewer people seem to be reading Beelzebub. Kingdom splashed in because you were posting about it every page lol there was this moment where I considered adding Hot House

I usually try to plop in what I see people are reading a lot of recently.

Edit: Technically we have a title for next OT already, but I think duckroll/Shouta wiped the evidence of how the title came to be. I got a screenshot though.

Shokugeki no soma

Foodgasms really are the most entertaining part of this show. Too bad this arc feels at times like filler

Toriko

This series has sooo many bloody characters it makes my head spin.

Fairy Tail

Can we hurry up to Wendy fighting the child magic guy already?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Chocolat no Mahou 1-2

So, screaming lessons except that it's based around a patisserie. Huh. Also somehow less subtle than screaming lessons, if such a thing was even possible.

Quick, post your favorite manga/stuff you're reading before upandaway asks you to do so!
(you like Punpun so we cool)

lol okay

ongoing:

Punpun
REAL
Dorohedoro
Ultra Heaven (technically still ongoing, but probably abandoned by Koike :/)
The World is Mine (4 volumes left, not sure if those are ever going to get picked up :/)
Rookies

haven't been reading much for a while now

overall:

Nijigahara Holograph
Lone Wolf & Cub
Ultra Heaven
Blame!
Takemitsu Zamurai
Music of Marie
Battle Angel Alita
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Believers
Dorohedoro

I guess. Making lists is not easy

Lain

Pseudo First Love

Guy confesses to the girl he likes, she dumps him harshly, jock dude notices and invites guy to a special party.
I've got to say that, for the type of story this was, it was actually quite good, with the twist and that end. Actually I think that a follow up to this would be quite cool, although I don't think there is/there will be one.

Articalys

So is there a new English translated Nisekoi chapter out or are you jumping the gun by posting raw impressions without properly marking them as such?

Shouta

Finished my reread of Harlem Beat and that 3rd arc really was just random shounen hijinxs and romance stuff. Kind of a nice change of pace from the street ball and national basketball tournament arcs. I really dug that Nishiyama basically touched upon everyone in some form. She didn't cop out on a few points too which was great.

It also gave a good "the show will go on" feeling as well. A lot of sports series just abruptly end after the Inter-high tournament run but she remembers that the players are different ages and continues showing their struggles after.

Aizo

Banned
Allegedly, Berserk will be considered complete as of volume 37. Miura has been in poor physical condition, and has been incapable of continuing work on the manga since this long hiatus started. The Young Animal editor goes on to say that they will be trying to do a sequel in some form, but for now, Berserk is complete.

I'm not sure how reputable this site is, but I found the same exact news on a bunch of other sites.
I really hope it's just a terrible rumor.
Source: http://blog.livedoor.jp/shonenmanga/archives/30868454.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom