• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi

Hey it's Dr. Light and he sucks at being doctor now

tesKyTY.png

Actually I think the ratio is pretty even between all 3 in ManGAF.

Maybe OP has 1 or 2 more fans but Naruto and Bleach fans are pretty close in numbers.

wonzo

Banned
OPM 27

Ahh, I'm glad this arc is done though I must say reading the ONE version has kinda sapped the fun out of seeing what's coming next. Oh well, it was totes worth it.

AUNT TITS 91

lmbo. I'm kinda down with this if it'll mean back to the cousin, her friend, and the chick with the father complex.

wahjah moe friend 7

2lewd4me

EmptySpace can not believe some people actually trash one piece and then praise bleach.

bleach in a nutshell = ichigo will have something inside him that will save the day. just rename him as doraemon.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did you like the art at least? It was cute, right?
There's something magically stupid about lamp shading that amnesia is a fantasy event, but then Dr. Light doesn't send Raku to the hospital, but just let's him leave with a bunch of random girls.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Notes from the Garden of Lillies fin
ivMSBVWl.jpg

So this was finally wrapped up with some cute little 4komas about what happens to the characters after the series.

Of course, the two leads
end up living together
in the future. lol

All in all, a rather inoffensive and pleasant yuri book. It takes no chances and doesn't really do anything new, but you could do worse when it comes to stories about two girls hooking up with each other.

I am not ashamed in admitting that I actually prefer Naruto over Bleach or OP.

So what? It's not like any one of you will give you a million bucks for not liking it anyway :p

There´s nothing wrong with that man :)

The New Fish-Man Pirates being weak compared to the Straw Hats was the entire point. If they went up against the big bads of the New World right off the bat, the new powers they've accumulated over the past two years wouldn't be as impressive. A warm-up is ned And while I wouldn't put Hody Jones within the top tier of One Piece villains, I thought the "empty racism" they embodied was brilliant. Far better than whatever empathy Ichigo had for Aizen after his defeat.

The whole point of the new world is that they always meet strong enemies. The fishmen were a joke boring villains. The whole theme was really forced and crap. Racism was embodied by a joke ie Sanji´s nose bleeds which took all the seriousness out of the situation. It´s no where near close for the established character that Ichigo is able to know people through fighting them.

Don't forget it was like this at the beginning of the series, too. Up until Baroque Works (and to an extent, Arlong), they only had difficulty with their opponents due to various handicaps.

That is a crap spinning and justification of crap character.

Can you please give an example of this? I honestly don't remember anything like this at all.

I will give you plenty
Jaya arc: Sappy story
Nami´s past: (Arlong park) Sappy story
Robin and Francky: Sappy story
Chopper: Sappy story
Barrock works has to have a sappy story
Fishmen island: Sappy story
Amazon lilly: Sappy story
etc....

Haki was reserved for later because it's used by the big fish of the Grand Line. It's not like it'll suddenly be explained in the middle of Water 7 or Thriller Bark or w/e. For all the flack you give about One Piece introducing elements without warning, you forget they've built it up throughout the series since day one.

600 chapter build up, and you say the pacing is fast lol.

And of course Skypiea has nothing to do with Thriller Bark. Every island and any other location is designed to have its own unique cultures isolated from each other. This isn't Bleach where the world is just composed of Earth/Soul Society/Hueco Mundo/whateverthehelltheQuincieslive.

Yeah, that´s great explanation for having disjointed story, that serves as a padding to the manga. Adventure for the sake of adventure is useless. Connected world at the very least does not show that the manga is disjointed and everyone is connected to everyone one way or another.

In regards to pacing, Soul Society took forever and Hueco Mundo was twice its size. One Piece arcs generally take up to one-two years. Different artists with different sets of worlds/storytelling, yes, but Kubo's arcs take forever get to done and much of it is bogged down by unnecessary characters.

False. SS arc is made up of around 115 chapters. SS arc is very tight and served as a stepping stone to further the plot, and characters. Unlike one piece, plenty of Bleach characters get development, while in one piece all characters are one dimensional cut board characters which make them boring and show crap writing. Hueco Mundo arc was too long, and the very least there was still continuity between it and Soul Society arc and did not feel disjointed.

I call bullshit on it because they previously stated the Espada were ten times stronger than the captains and yet they waste half of them (In particular, Yammy and the wolf dude with the guns) with absolutely zero effort. If you're going to suddenly reintroduce a handicapped superbeast, at least make him a threat.

Wrong. That´s not what is stated. What was stated is if Aizen had 10 vasta lorde then Soul Society would be finished and that was correct. The vasta lorde are more powerful than average captains, and that was true. Ichigo was defeated by Ulquiorra until his hollow showed up. Same with Soi Fong, who was getting her ass kicked by Barragan, and Hitsugaya getting his ass kicked by Hallibel.

Hahahahaha, with regards to Starrk. First of all Starrk faced 2 senior captains, Shunsui and Ukitake , and was having the upper hand, and he was winning, until 2 vizard captains showed up, and he still kicked their asses with his wolves. He got back stabbed after defeating 2 vizard captains, and having the upper hand on 2 senior captain, who are not average captains btw. Shunsui did not become captain commander for nothing which disprove your point anyway.

So you missed the part where they showed off their new powers in Fish-Man Island? Like Gintamen pointed out, you forgot the rest of the female cast.

I did not forget anything. Shirohishi can have all the power in the world, and she would still be useless due to her shitty personality. Apparently you and others can´t see the difference between having power, and being useful with it. Boa became a useless love sick puppy.

Yeah, she did defeat Monet. You're thinking of when Zoro sliced her in half, only to purposely leave alive to paralyze her with fear to show her he CAN kill her with zero effort. Tashigi only landed the final blow because Monet was distracted.

That´s false. It was Zorro who defeated Monet. It was largely Zorro who did most of the work. Monet was pretty much done for. Without Zorro Tashigi would have died.

Those are minor instances, at best. The moment Chad was defeated by Nnoitra and Orihime was rescued was the moment they became background characters.

Moving goal posts is fun. It´s much more than what the rest of the Straw Hats did since Thriller Bark going forward. At the very least Chad and Orihime got character development. That´s much more than i can say about the Straw Hats except Usoppe.

Bleach has character sizes imbalances within its numerous factions such as the useless Hueco Mundo hollows (WHY did they have Orihime revive Harribel?!?) and uh...those two girls from Soul Society that Ichigo met. Oda turns random background characters from Vol. 3 flashbacks to major ones fifty volumes later. By the time the Whitebeard War came around, most everyone had their time in the sun. I don't see the problem.

No it does not. It´s one piece that has plenty of useless characters that are never ustilized and that number gets bigger with every arc.

It was established long ago that Orihime is kind hearted woman, when she revived Menoli after Menoli and Loli used to beat her up.

Hahahaha, the war arc which had like 3 whitebeard pirates that actually did something. Marco, WhiteBeard, and Joze. The 6th fleet leader doing was basic minimum. The rest of the whitebeard pirates were fodder crap, that served nothing but numbers padding. Time in the sun, and doing nothing are nothing alike.

They'll discuss what they went through when the story calls for it. It's not like they could've just chatted it up with the Marines on their tail and while swimming amongst Sea Kings.

OH give me a break. Such an apologist´s attitude. Oda can´t write good dialog if his life, and the matter of the fact that the reunion was shit and shit written part of the manga, that Oda preferred to tell about the currents, instead of good, somewhat realistic character interaction.

People learn to move on from death. And as shown by the current chapter, it's obvious he doesn't take Ace's death lightly.

Luffy did not learn a damn thing. Ace´s death should be traumatizing by the way it happened and yet Luffy is happy go lucky person. And the fact that Luffy had a hard life when he was growing and up and did not change cement the fact that Od can´t write character development.

So Zoro inheriting characteristics from Mihawk and Chopper willing to become a monster for Luffy's sake despite his past don't mean anything? And what's with the out of nowhere stuff? They introduce new story elements when it's necessary. And on DFs, again, it'll come when the story calls for it. By your logic, I guess they may as well find the One Piece already. Having story-long mysteries is part of the fun of reading a long-running series.

First of all that´s not character development, and second of all, just wait for it does not cut it. It´s the same thing with one piece fans, just wait until it gets explained, like 10 years from now lol.

EmptySpace can not believe some people actually trash one piece and then praise bleach.

bleach in a nutshell = ichigo will have something inside him that will save the day. just rename him as doraemon.

Since Bleach is character driven and about Ichigo that makes plenty of sense, while one piece have arcs that does not have anything with finding one piece or advance the story speaks volumes about how disjointed and padded one piece manga is.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Those are minor instances, at best. The moment Chad was defeated by Nnoitra and Orihime was rescued was the moment they became background characters.

The funny thing about that is if Orihime wasn't a massive wimp, she'd be completely unstoppable and broken.

Tsubaki basically works by her denying a piece of reality exists (like say, someone's head) if she believes and wants it enough, the offending element is gone. She doesn't want to hurt anyone though, so her offense is zero.

The shield works in a similar fashion. As long as she believes she can repel something, she can.

Just those two elements alone are absurd.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm tired of "character driven" constantly being thrown around. Let's get this straight a story is character driven when the actions of the character drive the story. Part 1 in Naruto is character driven, all of Naruto's actions are about achieving his goal. Everything he does is about that, even when he is acted upon. Bleach is not. The story doesn't move unless Ichigo is acted upon. He never takes the first action, he is a reactionary presence. Bleach is character centric, which is not the same thing as character driven. Ichigo does not drive the plot in Bleach, Naruto drives his own plot in part 1. There is a difference.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm tired of "character driven" constantly being thrown around. Let's get this straight a story is character driven when the actions of the character drive the story. Part 1 in Naruto is character driven, all of Naruto's actions are about achieving his goal. Everything he does is about that, even when he is acted upon. Bleach is not. The story doesn't move unless Ichigo is acted upon. He never takes the first action, he is a reactionary presence. Bleach is character centric, which is not the same thing as character driven. Ichigo does not drive the plot in Bleach, Naruto drives his own plot in part 1. There is a difference.
Just because in your example you are comparing the two protagonists doesn't mean Bleach isn't character driven. It is. To use your term, it's protagonist-centric and character driven. Every single instance of Ichigo being a reactionary presence is him reacting to the decisions made by another character in the manga. The plot is driven by the characters and their motives or actions, not the world, mythology, rules, or lore of the world/plot. Hence, character driven. Naruto was protagonist driven and partially character driven in Part 1, then in Part 2 became plot driven.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just because in your example you are comparing the two protagonists doesn't mean Bleach isn't character driven. It is. To use your term, it's protagonist-centric and character driven. Every single instance of Ichigo being a reactionary presence is him reacting to the decisions made by another character in the manga. The plot is driven by the characters and their motives or actions, not the world, mythology, rules, or lore of the world/plot. Hence, character driven. Naruto was protagonist driven and partially character driven in Part 1, then in Part 2 became plot driven.

Actually if you are using those rules, Part 2 of Naruto has also been character driven. Naruto had been reacting to Obito's plans and actions for the entirety of Part 2. If you're going to use that logic then everything is always character driven. Let me put it this way, replace Ichigo with Urryu (or however its spelled) and tell me if anything changes. He can keep Ichigo's powerset and history, just swap the basic personalities. Does he still go to Soul Society? Or to save Orihime? Does he try to get his powers back? The answer to all those is yes. That's why its not character driven.

EDIT: Basically if you can replace a character with someone else and all the actions everyone else takes are generally the same then the story is plot driven. Aizen will still want his Macguffin, the Quncies will still show up again, Obito will still do his thing, the Marines will still be dicks ect ect ect. In Part 1 if you replace Naruto with say Sasuke then the whole dynamic of the story changes.

Since Bleach is character driven and about Ichigo that makes plenty of sense, while one piece have arcs that does not have anything with finding one piece or advance the story speaks volumes about how disjointed and padded one piece manga is.

EmptySpace disagrees. it makes 'plenty' of sense that in every story arc, ichigo discovers a new power that will let him defeat the enemy? oh ichigo has a sword. oh his sword has a bankai. oh he has a hollow mask. oh he has a fullbring. oh he actually has two swords. oh he is actually a quincy. oh his zanpakuto and hollow powers were not really real. oh he actually has a secret powerful attack and he trains inside some gate to master it.

not to mention there are a lot of these crap.
bleach.jpg

one piece is about adventure, meeting new people, discovering histories of places.

if anything, bleach is just pure action, style over substance nonsense plot. never once has EmptySpace been touched by any "emotional drama" in bleach because it just fails to deliver touching moments.

not to mention, there is no coherent story or goal to bleach. conflicts try too hard to be all-philosophical, plus all the dumb hollow names/aliases.

with one piece you get a revolution rising against a corrupt shichibukai, or slavery and discrimination against fishmen, revenge and forgiveness, etc.

and one piece characters are much more memorable, because they have their own personalities. no one cared about characters dying in bleach, no emotional attachment to them. worst case reaction is a "too bad, let's move on."

TokiDoki

Agree on those nonsensical empty spaces . As much as Bleach being pure action , those actions weren't really choreographed well compared to many others fighting manga .

OH give me a break. Such an apologist´s attitude.

lol, seriously?

I'd already decided not to continue this, dude. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt not to hurl random insults, no? (and properly understand the grieving process too, I suppose).

Nisekoi

Funny how they pointed out the amnesia subplot was a manga cliche.

Suddenly, I'm finding myself growing rather tired of this manga.

Gintama

I actually forgot the reason why Kagura was in the hospital, but the chapter still made me laugh, regardless.

Reading all this Shounen hub hub that we've been through a million times in the various treads makes wish HXH would start back so it can continue to shit on everything else from a great height.

EmptySpace disagrees. it makes 'plenty' of sense that in every story arc, ichigo discovers a new power that will let him defeat the enemy? oh ichigo has a sword. oh his sword has a bankai. oh he has a hollow mask. oh he has a fullbring. oh he actually has two swords. oh he is actually a quincy. oh his zanpakuto and hollow powers were not really real. oh he actually has a secret powerful attack and he trains inside some gate to master it.

one piece is about adventure, meeting new people, discovering histories of places.

if anything, bleach is just pure action, style over substance nonsense plot. never once has EmptySpace been touched by any "emotional drama" in bleach because it just fails to deliver touching moments.

not to mention, there is no coherent story or goal to bleach. conflicts try too hard to be all-philosophical, plus all the dumb hollow names/aliases.

with one piece you get a revolution rising against a corrupt shichibukai, or slavery and discrimination against fishmen, revenge and forgiveness, etc.

and one piece characters are much more memorable, because they have their own personalities. no one cared about characters dying in bleach, no emotional attachment to them. worst case reaction is a "too bad, let's move on."

Funny you use those examples of Ichigo getting powers when nearly all shonen mangas use that. Oh Luffy is lucky enough to have Conqueror's Haki? Gear 2nd? Lets add a Gear 3rd. Naruto needs Kyuubi's chakra? Well lets make them friends! There are a couple more but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

As for the rest of your post, all opinions. Just because you yourself do not enjoy Bleach and it's characters/moments does not mean the same for all.

BTW whats up with the 1st person posts EmptySpace?

Lots of Bleach haters coming out of the woodworks today. Mostly because Big One left a fire with his post and Beam added to the fuel lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Funny you use those examples of Ichigo getting powers when nearly all shonen mangas use that. Oh Luffy is lucky enough to have Conqueror's Haki? Gear 2nd? Lets add a Gear 3rd. Naruto needs Kyuubi's chakra? Well lets make them friends! There are a couple more but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

As for the rest of your post, all opinions. Just because you yourself do not enjoy Bleach and it's characters/moments does not mean the same for all.

BTW whats up with the 1st person posts EmptySpace?

Lots of Bleach haters coming out of the woodworks today. Mostly because Big One left a fire with his post and Beam added to the fuel lol.

Hey, I was just pointing out you all are using "character driven" incorrectly.

Hey, I was just pointing out you all are using "character driven" incorrectly.

Well what matters is that the pent up tension of WedGAF is being drained a bit in preparation for Bleach's return.

I can see it now already. If the the chapter is bad, people will rage hard. If the chapter is good, the few will praise and we will have regular WednesdayGAF.

Seitokai Tantei Kirika 00-05

231XMQrl.jpg

Overshadowed guy joins the student council where he meets the treasurer/detective who's only concern is money.

A very interesting read. Pretty much like a mystery series that's focused around problems with money. It definitely feels darker than it lets on with all these things that happen behind the scene and the dialogue has this whole layer of there's more than meets the eye.

The main character has that somewhat sarcastic quality I'm liking these days and the art is pretty enough to look at. Will keep reading.

bleach fans have gotten real reckless since kubo remembered how to write good chapters again, it's been like what, 10 years? i mean, i'm happy too but let's tone it down a bit.

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom