• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Umm where did that rumor come from? Genuinely curious.

Edit: Just looked it up, am relieved. Seems to be a false rumor.

What's there to be relieved about? It never comes out anyways.

Seishun Forget!

Ape9mGD.jpg

On his first day of high school, Taiyou meets Hinata, instantly falls in love with her and asks her out. She agrees and they go out. The next day, he finds out that she doesn't remember her since her memory resets itself every day.

This was an absolutely joy to read. It's such an amazing romance series. After finishing it, my only thought was that I wanted more chapters to read since it was so good.

Everything of the series just worked. The characters are great. Our hero is honest, hot blooded, passionate and after meeting him, I just ended up rooting for this romance to work. Hinata is adorable and the story really developed her besides the whole memory reset. The supporting characters added lots of excitement and comedy to the story.

While the series did kinda fall into the whole potential love triangles especially with at the end, they at least provided some movement for the main couple and wasn't just a waste of time.

This could be easily be one of my favorite romance manga.

smurfx

get some go again
BIG fans of Berserk and/or Hunter X Hunter

Would you trade/give up your favorite currently running and consistently updated favorite manga for one of those to return and stay on the scene?

I think I might give up Bleach for one of them. But it's so close to ending that I would just hold out until then and give up One Piece instead (which becomes favorite manga by default because I'm not reading anything else...heh)
i would give up bleach and naruto if it means weekly hxh. i'll even throw in all of god's beard favorite mangas to sweeten the deal.

Theonik

I didn't say castrated. I said
his penis is detachable, as in it gets swiped by some girls who then use it to do things to each other.
I'm sure I read several of these but I am sorta blanked out on names right now so allow me to recommend the forbidden mushroom for weird penis manga.

wonzo

Banned
Well isn't the rumor that they are ending Berserk in the next year due to the mangaka's health? If so the only way we'll ever see that end is if someone else draws it.

EDIT: Honestly, Kubo would probably be my choice to draw it. He may not be the greatest storyteller, but he's a great artist and can work on a deadline. He could probably do the series justice, though it'll never happen.
Someone honeslty suggesting Kubo should do the art for Berserk? jesus christ why

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Well, there goes all that stuff people said about this being like a filler arc, since it's connected to a top dude. Nikumi's on a roll lately, Soma being surprisingly low key aside from his usual moments. I'm expecting him to step it up before the arc's over.

And them color pages haha, whoa!

Someone honeslty suggesting Kubo should do the art for Berserk? jesus christ why
The only guy I could maybe think of for that is Vinland Saga dude, but discussion is kinda moot anyway.

LeleSocho

Banned

Would you trade/give up your favorite currently running and consistently updated favorite manga for one of those to return and stay on the scene?

I think I might give up Bleach for one of them. But it's so close to ending that I would just hold out until then and give up One Piece instead (which becomes favorite manga by default because I'm not reading anything else...heh)
No i don't think i would give up Toriko for HxH but i would give up every other weekly shonen that i read included OP.

Don't worry he's not me.

R.I.P

Shokugeki no Soma

Kinda slow chapter, though it was cool to see that the elite ten are backing mozuya and more Nikumi is always appreciated. The childhood friend continues to be an inferior, dull version of Tadokoro. Hopefully we will see mozuya's manager's glorious meltdown next week.

Sword Art Online Progressive 2

Kirito is quite happy and relaxed here, kind of refreshing and hilarious. I always thought he was just a lone beater, but I guess this makes him seem way more sociable and easy to get along with, a great guy at the start.

The Flow Stream 11

Well first I saw a bully get that which they deserved, that splatter/crack.

Well isn't the rumor that they are ending Berserk in the next year due to the mangaka's health? If so the only way we'll ever see that end is if someone else draws it.

EDIT: Honestly, Kubo would probably be my choice to draw it. He may not be the greatest storyteller, but he's a great artist and can work on a deadline. He could probably do the series justice, though it'll never happen.

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket 227

It's been a while since I posted in here.

Akashi. That is the only thing I can say about that. I believe this is the end of the flashback so we now know what the oath is and why Kuroko decided to go against the Generation of Miracles. I'm hype to see how this game plays out.

Akito

Ketchup Ninja 26 (end)
That was not too bad but only because it has double the pages compared to the regular chapter. It's a shame the series jumped that shark after the first half because it's a cool mix between manga and comics and a really good fit for the web.

Kyuur

I would give up Naruto, Bleach, OPM, Beelzebub and Magi for HxH.

I don't think I could give up One Piece though. Also I haven't read Berserk yet, only watched the newest trilogy of movies.. waiting for it to be adapted so I don't have to suffer the pain of another favorite manga hiatus.

Bentles

Don't know if this was the actual intent of the title but I heard it's hunter hunter because Gon is hunting his dad. i.e. He is a hunter hunter.

Don't know if this was the actual intent of the title but I heard it's hunter hunter because Gon is hunting his dad. i.e. He is a hunter hunter.

I.. I always thought it was obviously that. What else could it be?

Nope, togashi was watching a show where the announcer said everything twice, togashi thought it was funny and he knew the series would be about hunters hence hunter x hunter which is supposed to be pronounced hunter hunter

upandaway

Nope, togashi was watching a show where the announcer said everything twice, togashi thought it was funny and he knew the series would be about hunters hence hunter x hunter which is supposed to be pronounced hunter hunter
Oh wait right right, Downtown or Downturn or whatever it was. I thought it was just a joke...

Haikyuu!! 72
tumblr_msenxf2S5E1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Kuroo, Kenma, my Nekoma, this next arc is gonna be even better than the prelims I bet. Kurro's face even.

Hilarious chapter all the way from Nishinoya on Tanaka too the exam stuff. Not really original but funny.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

:D

It's always been a pet peeve of mine when someone prescribes very specific "rules for storytelling" to a work, and chides it for not adhering to them. I think One Piece is probably among the most compelling worlds I've ever encountered in fiction, by virtue of how we only have tiny glimpses at its history from time to time, while the day-to-day focus is in fleshing out its present day. Every time the Straw Hats hit a new island, a brand new culture is splayed out, one we typically had no real inkling ahead of time. Huge amounts of new characters, new conflicts, new concepts that suggest an actual living and peopled place. The world grows enormously with every new island, and I love that. The aren't just stops along the way, blips in the Straw Hats personal journeys, but rather fully-developed microcosms that develop the world more than anything. The story of the Straw Hats is really just a foil so we can travel through the grand line and see what this place is like.

When there's a reference to the void century, I consider it a perk, not something I just want to push through all the other content to reach. I know ahead of time how huge this journey is, and I don't want to know everything about the secret history of the world until the end. It's a great little macguffin, one that would lose all of its joy if they gave us too much info too fast. Hell, Luffy said pretty much exactly that when they were about to just be told the whole thing straight-up. If they don't figure it out themselves bit by bit as they go, what the hell kind of adventure is that?

Basically every main arc has hinted at things, but those things are never the purpose of the arc. It's the conflicts of the present day that are the real story of One Piece, the void century is just a sidestory that will pay off only near the very end. And that's really how I'd prefer it.

I agree that plenty of the characters are quite one-dimensional and don't exhibit a particularly large amount of growth, but I see them mainly just as entry points for telling stories about the world. We certainly have pretty amazing character stories in there from time to time, but I think they're secondary. These crew is here as our guide through whatever story is being told about the world and its cultures. If there were never ANY good character moments I think that would be a failing, but I certainly don't think that's the case in the least. Plenty of stories about the crew's pasts', and things like Luffy vs Usopp throughout Enies Lobby, these keep the characters interesting.

You describe Bleach as "character driven," and that's fine, but I don't see any reason to chide One Piece for being constructed in a very different way. They're just different modes of storytelling, and while I like the deep focus into one specific kind of concentrated arc and threat in Bleach, One Piece's far wider-spanning arc is equally compelling to me, just for completely different reasons. One has a focus on a couple well-defined groups in a well-defined conflict, while the other stretches its plot across the entire planet. Bleach tells us about Ichigo and his life through its conflicts, the other tells us about a world and its people through the lens of an adventure.

I like 'em both. And Naruto, too, which kind of rests squarely in between One Piece and Bleach in terms of what it's trying to do! It's okay for different things to do things in different ways! While there may be such a thing as bad storytelling, I don't think any of these are really that. They just approach the telling of a story in different ways.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You describe Bleach as "character driven," and that's fine,

No, no it isn't fine. He's misusing the term. You only get to say a story is character driven if changing a character would alter the story is large ways. Replace Ichigo's personality with Luffy's and the big plot points still happen. All the different arcs still happen. Sure little stuff changes, but the calls to action are still there. Aizen still wants his macguffin, fullbringers still want their stuff, the Quincies still resurface. It's plot driven. Shoujo manga are generally character driven, along with harem ones, Naruto Part 1, stuff like that is character driven. If you can change a character, especially the MC, and the major story points change then it's character driven.

Akito

Claymore 142
RIP Clarice, you finally did something good. As for the twist on why Priscilla is so imba, I don't know what to think if eating yoma flesh is all to it, seems way too tacked on.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No, no it isn't fine. He's misusing the term. You only get to say a story is character driven if changing a character would alter the story is large ways. Replace Ichigo's personality with Luffy's and the big plot points still happen. All the different arcs still happen. Sure little stuff changes, but the calls to action are still there. Aizen still wants his macguffin, fullbringers still want their stuff, the Quincies still resurface. It's plot driven. Shoujo manga are generally character driven, along with harem ones, Naruto Part 1, stuff like that is character driven. If you can change a character, especially the MC, and the major story points change then it's character driven.

Well I mean "that's fine" not so much as in "yes you are correct," but rather just in "it's fine that it's not the same as one piece." "Driven" is probably the wrong word, but there's more emphasis in Bleach given to Ichigo's personal struggles than in One Piece, where we really never get much of a glimpse inside Luffy's mind. Luffy does probably affect the world in ways more unique to him than Ichigo does, though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well I mean "that's fine" not so much as in "yes you are correct," but rather just in "it's fine that it's not the same as one piece." "Driven" is probably the wrong word, but there's more emphasis in Bleach given to Ichigo's personal struggles than in One Piece, where we really never get much of a glimpse inside Luffy's mind.

Doesn't change that it's plot driven. Maybe it puts more emphasis on the characters, but at the end of the day the plot still drives the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom