• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie and MS breakup, says GI; custody of manbabies yet to be decided

rs7k

Why is this 29 pages? The only possible outcome that is smart for both Bungie and MS is if Bungie stays with MS and makes more Halo games. Do Bungie employees really enjoy not being rich as fuck? MS owns them anyway, so it's not like they could split, but why would the core talent leave? They make amazing games, and they're INSANELY rewarded for it.

I bet this is Tengu restaurant bullshit.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
AfunkyArcadeStick said:
lol?

Bungie has made like 4 games dude.
Gnop!
Operation Desert Storm
Pathways into Darkness
Marathon
Marathon 2 : Durandal
Marathon Infinity
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Myth II: Soulblighter
Myth III: The Wolf Age
Oni
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3

Christine

cjelly said:
They'd only say 'we do not comment on rumours' or something, anyway.

But by failing to do this they've succeeded in issuing a non-update to the absence of denial that confirms the non-rumor status of this issue.

AppleMIX

Gnop!
Operation Desert Storm
Pathways into Darkness
Marathon
Marathon Infinity
Oni
Halo 2
Halo 3

God, I remember Myth. That game was awesome.

AfunkyArcadeStick said:
Out of those 3/4 series 1 is good.

Guess!?

BOO!

Marathon was good and Myth was awesome. IMO

The only way "Bungie" would leave MS at this point, would be if the entire Bungie dev team universally "quit Bungie" and started up a new company. Sure, they'd lose the name of Bungie (Huge name recognition and selling point there) and lose their biggest cash cow to date (Halo series and even BIGGER selling point).

Point of fact is this: The OP (or those they're quoting) is simply spreading FUD today. I thought stuff like this was bannable?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Shrinnan said:
ONE decent franchise? Try three great and epic franchises - Marathon, Myth, and Halo.

Granted, Myth is no longer owned by Microsoft or Bungie but it was created by Bungie.

you forgot their diamond in the rough, oni

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
rs7k said:
The only possible outcome that is smart for both Bungie and MS is if Bungie stays with MS and makes more Halo games. Do Bungie employees really enjoy not being rich as fuck?

Why do most people seem to think that the option that gets you the most money is always the smartest thing to do? Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 3, but if I was a part of Bungie I'd wonder what games I could make if I didn't have to make Halo.

duk

Banned
People in this thread:

Xbots: yeah effin right, MS ownz Bungie, Frankie/Luke r t3h rich!!

SDF: maybe just maybe this is true, or try to say most of the original Bungie staff left

Doytch

AfunkyArcadeStick said:

Guess which!?

Aww, how cute. If you're PC, then you should realise at least Marathon and Myth as good. And if you only like Halo, you're just stupid.

BuG

IzumiK said:
Better edit that. That super sticky is still up there.
I edited but if that's true I can't believe I managed to keep away from spoilers all this time only to be undone by that post. I should've figured it out anyways. Noooooo

Xdrive05

msdstc said:

I need to play that again. It was kind of like Ghost in the Shell meets the Matrix or something. I seem to remember some slightly annoying design goofs though (Bungie's trademark asymmetrical-phobia for instance), but I really enjoyed it regardless. God it must have been 8 years or so...

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
msdstc said:

Speaking of which, I guess Oni is good given the responses in this topic. I may have to try it out sometime (I was seriously contemplating on buying it at the local Replay). I would have bought it had I had a PS3.

my bet is potential studio name change and absorbing a several members of Fasa [im pretty sure some Fasa employees helped towards the end of Halo 3

Shrennin

GodfatherX said:
my bet is potential studio name change and absorbing a several members of Fasa [im pretty sure some Fasa employees helped towards the end of Halo 3

That would explain why Bungie thanks Fasa Studios in the credits, right?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AfunkyArcadeStick said:

Guess which!?

One of those games is still on Gamespot's Greatest Games of All Time list.

Guess which!?

Hint: It's not in the Halo franchise.

Shrennin

ALeperMessiah said:
They also thanked a bunch of people from Rare. Maybe they're absorbing them too

I think that was because of the...

Skull Spoilers:

Grunt Birthday Party Skull, in which a lot of Viva Pinata effects were added for the purpose of pinata explosions after each head shot. Or so I hear

Shrinnan said:
I think that was because of the...

Skull Spoilers:

Grunt Birthday Party Skull, in which a lot of Viva Pinata effects were added for the purpose of pinata explosions after each head shot. Or so I hear

Yeah, but in the credits they thanked about 15 people from Rare, I doubt it would take that many for a simple effect like that.

I was kidding anyways...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AfunkyArcadeStick said:
Oh gee then I guess it must be good? :lol

I played both marathon and Myth

nothing special.

Maybe your taste just sucks? I'd offer up reviews, but I really don't care to convince you.

theultimo

AfunkyArcadeStick said:
Oh gee then I guess it must be good? :lol

I played both marathon and Myth

nothing special.
Myth was easily the best RTS in its day, and Marathon required reading (and the story was far better then anything i've experienced), unlike ANY mainstream 3-d FPS in its day.

Shrennin

ALeperMessiah said:
Yeah, but in the credits they thanked about 15 people from Rare, I doubt it would take that many for a simple effect like that.

True. I wasn't entirely sure that the effect was actually from Rare, my post was also a question on confirmation. I guess it's confirmed since no one corrected me. That's pretty cool then.

msdstc said:
you know what's funny? You're the only one who got the sarcasm.

I get it now, that has to count for something, right? :D

Right?!

Future

rs7k said:
Why is this 29 pages? The only possible outcome that is smart for both Bungie and MS is if Bungie stays with MS and makes more Halo games. Do Bungie employees really enjoy not being rich as fuck? MS owns them anyway, so it's not like they could split, but why would the core talent leave? They make amazing games, and they're INSANELY rewarded for it.

I bet this is Tengu restaurant bullshit.

Is there any info on how INSANELY rewarded Bungie is for their efforts. As much as this game sold you'd hope the entire team got new cars and complimentary blowjobs , but somehow I doubt that's the case

urk said:
Maybe your taste just sucks? I'd offer up reviews, but I really don't care to convince you.

Why would you offer up reviews if I've played both games and thought they weren't good? you think me reading a review and then going back to play the game will make the game any better? is that how you do things? :lol

but this will never get anywhere, just a matter of tastes I guess.

element

Gnop!
Operation Desert Storm
Pathways into Darkness
Marathon
Marathon Infinity
Oni
Halo 2
Halo 3
Bungie didn't make Myth 3. Mumbo Jumbo did.

AppleMIX

Future said:
Is there any info on how INSANELY rewarded Bungie is for their efforts. As much as this game sold you'd hope the entire team got new cars and complimentary blowjobs , but somehow I doubt that's the case

Honestly, if a large group of Bungie employees decided to quit... I'm sure MS would be there with a bag full of cash trying to convince them otherwise.

msdstc said:
you know what's funny? You're the only one who got the sarcasm.
:D

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
this thread is crazy!
ahhhhhh.gif

Shamrock

Banned
So to sum up this thread?

Bungie and MS splitting Rumor
Stinkles has posted in other threads after this thread was huge, but not this one
Stinkles usually posts in all Bungie threads

So that confirms this rumor is true right? No comment by Stinkles means he can't comment, and the only reason you can't comment is because its true. If it were fake he could say this is bullshit.

squatingyeti said:
A query for you. If a game ends well on PS3, does anyone know it ended well? :lol

I don't own a PS3 or did I say anything about a PS3.

I do however own a 360 and I did play and complete Halo 3 and I did say something about that.

Top Bottom