• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft respond to the EDGE article

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingFire

Banned
I checked the thread title and the OP over and over again, but I can't find any place where it mentions PC.

I'm going to shoot a hypothesis out there, and although it may sound crazy, bear with me. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, this is a thread about consoles that has absolutely jack shit to do with PCs?

Give it a thought and get back with me.

I'm honestly not trying to shit on you. It just gets tiring having PC brought up in every console thread. We all know PC is just the greatest place ever. But we're talking consoles. Bringing up PC adds nothing to the thread and usually just derails it. Please stahp.

Well sorry to bring that up. I was just surprised that people are impressed by that Infamous game's graphics.

Let the wars resume. My apologies.

If only Albert Penello would have said this to GAF instead of spouting Technical Fellows mathematical numbers...

I think this quote is the nail in the Xbox One's specs. I predict we will get nothing from Albert again concerning numbers, the math or specs, ever again.

Prepare to have none of your questions answered. That may be a good thing but embarrassing for Albert..

Truespeed

Except they weren't avoiding it. The answer is applicable. They said that the power isn't quite so amazing, that they have good engineers and that they're features will help make for better games, which is what gaming is really all about.

Just sayin what they said. Whether you agree with them or not, they did answer the question directly.

That wasn't an answer. That was a generic boilerplate response that can be reused by Nintendo. Just replace all occurrences of Xbox One with Wii U and you're done.

I read it.

If you honestly think devs are going to spend that kind of money and time developing awesome new features for a multiplat game, when only a portion of their audience will have access to it and even fewer will care, I don't know what to tell you.

If you want to be excited for Kinect, that's great. Be excited for the multimedia features and the first party games. But when it comes to third party, just get used to shouting "GRENADE!" to throw a grenade.

But they already have! Ubisoft has 24 kinect games either made or being made. Activision has 10 or so. That is not a small number. I'm saying that these developers will be encouraged to do this even more (since now more of their fans will have the platform required) and put more effort into what they do.

What you've said is what devs have done because they can't waste all that much money on it. There is evidence (and WoM) that says that these developers (especially Ubisoft) are willing to use Kinects features much more extensively.

slapnuts

MS should be glad people are focusing on this instead of the price difference . Everyone might not understand teraflops but they know what $100 is.

Good point ...."everyone" will see the price difference when they are eventually at the store or online shop about to purchase their console. The main problem i have is the "kinect" which in turn has caused the price to bump up to 500 dollars. Make no mistake about it..Today's economy is still just as butt hurt as it has since '07. As you stated..that $100 dollars will be a HUGE deciding factor at the end of it all.

It's simple math, folks! Most gamers are "casual" gamers that want to play "games"! When they are taking their next gen console off the shelf they will see the price difference and factor in the cost of such and such game(s) at the time of purchase of their new console and most will select the PS4 on just the cost factor. That extra $100 dollars is close to the cost of two games off the bat!

My point is as many others have already stated in this thread is that $100 is a DEAL BREAKER and most casual gamers have no idea of the power difference of the two machines...a lot of those people will grab the PS4 because of our current economy and the fact that they can get two extra games by going with PS4 instead of Xbox One.

Those of us that are "in the know" ..already did the math... we know the PS4 is $100 dollars cheaper, more powerful and have seen more examples of in-game footage on both systems so it's not a very hard decision unless your loyal to the bone with MS.

I believe the only folks that will be quickly snapping up the Xbox One will be the MS loyalists and to be fair there are many Xbox platform loyalists but make no mistake about it...the "Casual Gamer" in size triumphs the Xbox platform loyalists. In today's day and age...money & value matters first and foremost.

As i stated in a earlier post of mine in this thread from page 4.... I was a fairly loyal xbox gamer since the original xbox system but because i am more of a hardcore gamer and frequent boards such as NeoGaf and so forth ...it was not hard to decide this one. PS4 is by far the better value. Kinect 2.0 is a HUGE mistake that makes me scratch my head on the reason behind it being a "mandatory" forced purchase with the Xbox One... i cannot think of any reason why such a huge company like Microsoft with such huge investments in their R&D Dept would make such a silly dead head move like this by packing in a pricey Kinect 2.0 and charging an extra $100 for their launch system when clearly the PS4 is more powerful. The economy is such a huge factor in all of this.

The best thing Microsoft could of done even still at this point is drop the price of the system before its too late! I have a strong feeling we will be seeing the Xbox One sold without Kinect shortly after Launch day of next gen systems, in fact its a for sure thing!

PS: Microsoft reminds me of the Roman Empire with all their strict polices,clout,arrogant remarks,etc and we all know what eventually happens to such great empires, they always fall! Its sorta Ironic that Microsoft's touting Ryse: Son of Rome as their launch flagship title.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They look pretty bad. Killzone, Tom Clancy's the Division, Forza, Drive Club. They all look a lot better.
I don't think that ground (we're talking about ground only, right?) looks any worse than any of the direct feed gameplay screens from any of those games, except maybe Division, which shouldn't count as we have no clue what hardware it was running on. Also, Drive Club and Forza are as linear as it can get, so that's not really fair to compare either. Even then, I'd really love to see a gameplay direct feed screen of Forza showing better looking ground textures than that. I remember seeing a screen that showed buildings on the side of the road that looked almost comically bad btw. Hell, just the fact that SS is fully open world game with seemingly freely destructible environment and can easily compete in visuals with super-linear games where everything is either static or scripted destructible, is really commendable, don't you think?

Am I the only one not impressed by Infamous? Seriously? Every screenshot I've looked at has low res ground textures, clipping of the special effects, choppy clothes modeling, bad looking hair, etc.

Why is it so impressive? Honest question.

There was a gameplay video a few months ago that sold me...can't really look it up right now but maybe someone else can post it. Also, unlike almost all the other AAA launch games, it looks entertaining.

It is more like the two cool kids in school (XB1, PS4) trying to impress a girl, and a nerd (PC) keeps interrupting claiming he is better because he can recite Pi to 100 decimal places. Yea it is impressive, but nobody cares.

tumblr_m7qn8lljCs1rrmergo1_400.gif

Why would you think I am upset? All I did was make a simile to describe the situation as I saw it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey.

I really wanted to comment on this earlier but I was at work. So here goes: WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT.

"In the end, we’ll let the consoles and their games speak for themselves.”

amen. leave it at that and shut it. you're beat on specs.
my first neogaf analogy..
id rather have an accord than a civic si.

beast786

"In the end, we’ll let the consoles and their games speak for themselves.”

amen. leave it at that and shut it. you're beat on specs.
my first neogaf analogy..
id rather have an accord than a civic si.

Why are you comparing wiiu and Xbox one?

Unless you misspell GTR for ps4 ;p

But they already have! Ubisoft has 24 kinect games either made or being made. Activision has 10 or so. That is not a small number. I'm saying that these developers will be encouraged to do this even more (since now more of their fans will have the platform required) and put more effort into what they do.

What you've said is what devs have done because they can't waste all that much money on it. There is evidence (and WoM) that says that these developers (especially Ubisoft) are willing to use Kinects features much more extensively.

But as I've said, compelling software. They've demonstrated none of that.

But I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree. Goodnight!

SpartanN92

Banned
Did you actually play Killzone and Infamous?

I was also at E3...Killzone and Infamous were not playable. The had rooms where they would let in about 20 people at a time and show you the same demo over and over.

Killzone looked great but it plays just as bland as every other Killzone and I'm certain the story will be just as mediocre...Once Halo arrives nobody will be talking about Killzone anymore. Remember all the hype for Killzone 3 and what it turned into...I expect the same here....But it is goddamn pretty though, I'll give it that.

Infamous looked SPECTACULAR! It made me go out and but 1&2.

“Ten years ago, you could argue that a console’s power was summed up in terms of a few of its specs, but Xbox One is designed as a powerful machine to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade.

Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey. It was designed with balanced performance in mind, and we think the games we continue to show running on near-final hardware demonstrate that performance. In the end, we’ll let the consoles and their games speak for themselves.”

so basically

nachoscience.gif

Remember most companies release BS screenshots. Even if those were legit, it wouldn't be impressive at all. As I said, the PC already does this.
How does The Last of Us run on your pc rig? I bet the frame rate is pretty bad.

No matter how much you spend on your graphics card, it can't run games that aren't on PC. This is why console gamers buy consoles (Plus the insert and play aspect). So whether it is impressive compared to a PC has nothing to do with the conversation.

USC-fan

Banned
Wow in the same article it state Ms is paying dev to keep the game even. They say the games will speak for themselves. You mean the games you paid to be the same?

This is an all time low....

Wow in the same article it state Ms is paying dev to keep the game even. They say the games will speak for themselves. You mean the games you paid to be the same?

This is an all time low....

It's probably more like MS is paying to have 1st party techs fly out to the developer to help them improve bottlenecks in their game.

We had that on one of my projects. An XBL dude came in for a week to help out. The amount of crazy biased shit he spewed was awesome.

It's probably more like MS is paying to have 1st party techs fly out to the developer to help them improve bottlenecks in their game.

We had that on one of my projects. An XBL dude came in for a week to help out. The amount of crazy biased shit he spewed was awesome.
What sort of things did he say? Similar to the OP?

Despite his indoctrination, how helpful was he? You hear all the time where Sony or Microsoft are lending technical help. I am curious as to how effective that is. How much better do the companies know their hardware better than outside devs?

SpartanN92

Banned
How does The Last of Us run on your pc rig? I bet the frame rate is pretty bad.

No matter how much you spend on your graphics card, it can't run games that aren't on PC. This is why console gamers buy consoles (Plus the insert and play aspect). So whether it is impressive compared to a PC has nothing to do with the conversation.

This. Absolutely this.

Good Luck playing Halo, or Uncharted, or TLoU, or Gears, or God of War, or Forza, or any of the other AMAZING Console exclusives.

FeiRR

Banned
Complicated architecture means "we're in trouble". Let the games talk? Well, Ryse says "I'm an unfinished mess" and KI says "I run at last-gen resolution". 33% less power for 25% more money is a laugh. Just wait until Microsoft starts adding Kinect processor power to their specs.

This. Absolutely this.

Good Luck playing Halo, or Uncharted, or TLoU, or Gears, or God of War, or Forza, or any of the other AMAZING Console exclusives.

Halo and Gears are not good examples as Halo 1, Halo 2, and Gears of War 1 are available on PC. If that leaked Steam thing from a few months ago was real, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Reach, and maybe Halo Wars will also be on PC. But those other games, yes, you can only get them on consoles.

Despite his indoctrination, how helpful was he? You hear all the time where Sony or Microsoft are lending technical help. I am curious as to how effective that is. How much better do the companies know their hardware better than outside devs?

It was the studios first online game, so he helped get a lot of shit figured out after we hit a roadblock. Answered a lot of questions, specifically about bandwidth, best practices, etc. General programming shit.

Sony does the same thing.

But for both of them, the publisher usually pays for it.

As for the biased shit, I talked about the profit model of XBL Gold and he agreed very affirmatively how profitable it was. Hand over fist. Like, there was no need to charge for how cheap it was to run.

Then when I asked why they needed to charge if it was so cheap to run the servers with all the other charges (Charging for QA on patches, charging for submission, charging for game sales, etc.), you could see his face went flush as he realized what he admitted and quickly changed his tune and stopped talking to me.

Also, anyone else fucking confused by the half-dozen different "Xbone is so weak, LOL" threads?

I think there needs to be just one....

At least the EDGE thread and the "Response to EDGE" thread seem superfluous.

USC-fan

Banned

Thats not what the article leads you to believe is happening.

I hope what you say is all thats happening. I would hope the backlash would be huge if it comes out Ms paid to gimp ps4 games.

nasos_333

Fable-Legends-3.jpg

I am deeply impressed with Fable Legends graphics, so i tend to believe they do have some aces up their sleeve, no matter the raw hardware spec numbers

TBH i find Legends graphics far more detailed and spectacular than the new Deep Down pics (that is, if those graphics do get to be that way and were not promotional fakes like the initial Deep Down video)

M_A_C

I am deeply impressed with Fable Legends graphics, so i tend to believe they do have some aces up their sleeve, no matter the raw hardware spec numbers

TBH i find Legends graphics far more detailed and spectacular than the new Deep Down pics (that is, if those graphics do get to be that way and were not promotional fakes like the initial Deep Down video)

yeah, that CG trailer was really something...

kasane

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Fable-Legends-3.jpg

Secret sauce all over again.

Demon Ice

Banned
Ten years ago, you could argue that a console’s power was summed up in terms of a few of its specs, but Xbox One is designed as a powerful machine to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade.

Their PR has an uncanny talent for being able to say absolutely nothing in so many words. It's actually impressive.

Wait, what? Since when was there gameplay videos for Fable Legends? I thought the only thing Fable Legends had was that CGi debut trailer?

nib95

Banned
It really isn't, it looks great but not as good as Ryse.

The last time we saw either game (both multiplayer footage), Killzone had far more going on, had better effects and particles, textures, lighting, animations and animation blending, wider areas, more complex geometry etc, and was running at double the frame rate at that.

About the only thing Ryse did better was it's use of depth of field and motion blur, but I'd argue it had too much DoF as you could barely make out anything in the background as a result. It has a very unrealistic super shallow DoF, as if you're constantly seeing the entire world through a 1.4 f stop lens.

They do both look gorgeous, but I think SF took it to that next level.

NoPiece

Complicated architecture means "we're in trouble". Let the games talk? Well, Ryse says "I'm an unfinished mess" and KI says "I run at last-gen resolution". 50% less power for 20% more money is a laugh. Just wait until Microsoft starts adding Kinect processor power to their specs.

You're mixing your maths. Xbox is 33% less power for 25% more money. PS4 is 50% more power for 20% less money.

I predict we will get nothing from Albert again concerning numbers, the math or specs, ever again.

Prepare to have none of your questions answered. That may be a good thing but embarrassing for Albert..

If you go back an look at my posts during the big numbers debate, I said as much. I fully admitted that, since people had asked, I went to the engineering team to provide more detail on the numbers.

You will see more from us on the numbers and explaining things we've done with AMD. You won't see more from *me* on this - but I said that part already - hence why I'm not jumping in to the debate again. I'd like to, believe me, but learned my lesson on that.

This type of info needs to come directly from the architects.

I will continue (and did today) answer questions about the platform where I can. But I'm tapping out on this one for now!

Boss Man

Building a PC that can match next gen consoles costs more than double the price of just buying a PS4. Also, no one gives a shit about how good you can do a roast in your particular oven when we're trying to decide between two restaurants.

Comparing PC gaming to video game consoles is just not relevant in most discussions.

You're talking about Molyneux. He's the physical manifestation of the Sonic Cycle. Don't believe his bullshit.

quetz67

Banned
So basicallly XB1 has lower specs but well balanced hardware and PS4 has better specs but poorly balanced hardware. This plus PS4 devs not being able to code to the metal makes the XB1 actuallly more powerful - right?!?

daman824

So basicallly XB1 has lower specs but well balanced hardware and PS4 has better specs but poorly balanced hardware. This plus PS4 devs not being able to code to the metal makes the XB1 actuallly more powerful - right?!?
No, that's not what they said at all.

nib95

Banned

PS4 actually seems like the better balanced hardware. Better performance, bandwidth and game performance advantageous customisations (from what we know thus far) as well as being easier to develop for (namely due to having unified ram and according to devs, currently better tools). Add to that, PS4 is the one that actually has the option of lower level coding (coding to the metal and bypassing traditional API's, believe it uses a new variant of the LibGCM library), though the Xbox One has it's own version for it. The Mono driver as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom