• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 made me want to get a 360 Halo 4 makes me think I can pass on Xbone

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Super Graviton Phase Inducer in Halo 5 confirmed.

At 60fps!

But seriously, everyone in this thread is entitled to their opinion - there's a lot of fair criticism here and in other places. I think we learned a lot about the engine, the audience and the game and I am genuinely excited and confident about what's next.

I'll never understand the hate Halo 4 gets. It's an incredible production. It's polished beyond belief. It's gorgeous. It's fun. Did it change some mechanics? Of course it did, every Halo that's come out did.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 4 is considerably better than the shit fest that is Halo 2.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS FOR A FIRST POST?

I felt a disturbance in the universe earlier, I thought I just ate something wrong, nope it seems it was this post.

Holy fuck, how can a person so wrong, may have the lord mercy with you and your family.

And I understand OP, the fantastic times of Halo 2 are over, Halo 3 was still quite ok and ODST was a nice add on, but then with Reach it started to go downhill.

And Halo 4 showed us how bad it could get. IF you really want to get a Xbox for Halo, then wait till release of Halo 5, try to get it playable before release on convention or something( maybe this time we could get a BETA)

Or wait till the judgement of HaloGAF arrives.

No seriously if Halo is one of your main reasons and Halo 4 is our last given example what we could get ... I would say wait. Wait till release.

Halo 2 will not come back :(

Edit: before anyone says I just make empty statements without criticism or reasons, I posted about 20 posts in thought out posts in the Halo OT threads, but after sometime you just lose your power and give up. There were so many posts even before the game released by members that suggested things and ... nope nothing

Cels

i liked halo 4's campaign more than halo 2's but i think both of their campaigns kind of sucked. halo 2's MP is way better than halo 4's though.

Gestault

Could you explain to me, who has not read The Thursday War, why the Didact talks about getting revenge on humans?

Because they certainly didn't explain that well in the game.

Actually, better understanding of the Didact's motivations would probably come from the Greg Bear novels. It's hard to sum up, because it was a slow process (and there's a major change in who he is at one point that changes his perspective). I know I didn't answer it here, but it's a mix of being hard to communicate effectively on my part and that the progression of that character is interesting enough that I wouldn't want to spoil it.

I felt a disturbance in the universe earlier, I thought I just ate something wrong, nope it seems it was this post.

Holy fuck, how can a person so wrong, may have the lord mercy with you and your family.

And I understand OP, the fantastic times of Halo 2 are over, Halo 3 was still quite ok and ODST was a nice add on, but then with Reach it started to go downhill.

And Halo 4 showed us how bad it could get. IF you really want to get a Xbox for Halo, then wait till release of Halo 5, try to get it playable before release on convention or something( maybe this time we could get a BETA)

No seriously if Halo is one of your main reasons and Halo 4 is our last given example what we could get ... I would say wait. Wait till release.

Halo 2 anniversary on xbox one belieber.

At 60fps!

But seriously, everyone in this thread is entitled to their opinion - there's a lot of fair criticism here and in other places. I think we learned a lot about the engine, the audience and the game and I am genuinely excited and confident about what's next.

My body is Ready

Teppic

Halo 4 wasn't so bad. Just get rid of the perks and random weapons.

Liked the improved forgre editor. Hoping for even more improvements in Halo 5. And bring back fair melee attacks for local play.

Elginer

I enjoyed the campaign for Halo 4 but the MP was some sort of bastard child of Halo and CoD which seemed to please neither audience. Also the campaign was the least replayable of all the Halo games. It felt like it lacked a certain -- soul.

The enemies were also incredibly boring and the AI was a joke compared to Reach's smart snf tough Elites. If anything, it's made me more excited to see what Destiny is going to bring to the table. I was pretty much sure I was going to get an X1 at launch but with all of the missteps and the handling of Halo 4 and the Fable franchise, which I used to adore, I'm going with the PS4 at launch.

If, MS can somehow turn the franchise around and produce to some other worthwhile new IPs that catch my attention I MAY come back and give the X1 a chance but considering the price point and another online sub - it's looking mighty damn grim that that happens.

At 60fps!

I still can't help but be wary, but I'm rooting for you guys. I'd love nothing more than to see the next Halo's MP make a big splash and garner a large audience.

Caja 117

That's simply untrue.

Im speaking exclusively about the MP, and like everithing in life there is alllways going to be an exception to the rule.

I have around 20 friends, personal friends, not xbox live friends. We used to get together every saturday to play Halo on LAN, ever since Halo Reach the group slowly broke up, at the end 6 or 8 of them sometimes get together to play Halo 3, but most of them are planing to get a ps4.

At 60fps!

But seriously, everyone in this thread is entitled to their opinion - there's a lot of fair criticism here and in other places. I think we learned a lot about the engine, the audience and the game and I am genuinely excited and confident about what's next."
Will Hamish Bemish be Gothams Reckoning in Halo TV?!

Love that track! Reminds me of Didact's cool bit at the end and builds up to awesomeness.

I think that if a new Halo came out on X1 that nailed genuinely large scale FPS battles that were playable it would get a lot of people excited about the franchise again. Look how giddy we got over 2 Scarabs! That was the moment of Halo 3 for me, with the theme tune blaring and shit going down! So good! (edit: I remember playing that in co-op and seeing that bit alone convinced a friend to pick up the game and join in).

Caja 117

At 60fps!

If this end up been true, I promise I will trade my ps4 and get that Halo 5 especial edition Xbox one., save this post if you want.

.la1n

I'm probably odd for being like this but it's the single player I enjoy the most with Halo and I thought Reach was the pinnacle. I enjoyed Halo 4 almost as much but I hope 5 will show improvements in that area. Surely after the multiplayer complaints they will polish that up for 5. I think 343 still deserves another shot.

I'll never understand the hate Halo 4 gets. It's an incredible production. It's polished beyond belief. It's gorgeous. It's fun. Did it change some mechanics? Of course it did, every Halo that's come out did.

It really wasn't that fun. It was well polished SP-wise

MP is very debatable I guess but it was incredibly mundane to me

I loved Halo 3's MP and couldn't stand 4's at all

Fracas

#fuckonami
At 60fps!

I know my opinion means jack to you, David, and the rest of the 343 crew, but for whatever it's worth, I feel you guys have definitely shown growth as a studio between the constant Halo 4 updates, weapon rebalances, loads of interaction with the community, etc. Regardless of my personal feelings on the game which I'm guessing you know, lol.

Now make Halo 5 good pls.

I know my opinion means jack to you, David, and the rest of the 343 crew, but for whatever it's worth, I feel you guys have definitely shown growth as a studio between the constant Halo 4 updates, weapon rebalances, loads of interaction with the community, etc. Regardless of my personal feelings on the game.

Now make Halo 5 good pls.

oooh just realized one of the devs are in the thread

Um yeah please just play lots of Halo 3 Multiplayer and improve on that

You can change it up as necessary but well Halo 4's was not Halo MP to me

SnakeEyes

Banned
Last Halo I played was Halo 3. I'm satisfied with this, and have no desires to play the cashcow that is the new Trilogy from 343 Studios.

Halo 5 and TitanFall for the Xbox One in 2014 are enough to be excited for the console for me. There are plenty of other games that I'm interested in but those are two massive games enough to bring back the excitement similar to Halo 2 days.

The unfortunate thing is, there are so many gametypes and maps and features that Halo 2 had that every game after failed to include. Things that made Halo 2 multiplayer the absolute pinnacle of the series when it came to online communities and competitiveness.

These include:
  • Almost every map.
  • The best capture the flag gametype so far.
  • One Flag, One Bomb, One Flag fast, One Bomb Fast.
  • A proper sudden death mechanic that didn't screw over players about to tie or win the game.
  • A flag and bomb return system that remains the best of the series. This included proximity flag and bomb freezing while your teammates regrouped for another attempt.
  • No spartan laser.
  • A fully fledged online friends list.
  • Clans and clan matches: something that has yet to be recreated to this day. Probably one of the biggest disappointments of the franchise to this day.

Hindle

Banned
I'd like to see several new alien types in the next Halo. It was tiring fighting the Convenant and the Prometheans were boring in Halo 4.

Just go mad and design some creative enemies basically.

Dysun

Halo 2's multiplayer was great, dont know how people could hate on the sequel for that. Campaign, sure but that's not why I played Halo games

93xfan

Banned
Halo 4's multi player was very unbalanced (for the sake of winning over Call of Duty fans) and had too few small maps. Had the multiplayer been awesome, I'd be much more hyped for the Xbox One.

And Titanfall will be on the PS4 eventually.

I hope 343 isn't too careful about putting in too much story next time, I think they went a bit too far with the 'onion layers' concept in Halo 4 and stripped out some important stuff that would've helped bring the story in the game together.

I think many people aren't inclined to delve deeper or don't realise there's more to the story, and judge it harshly purely on what is presented to them in the game (which is fair enough), when they might actually enjoy the story if they knew more about what was going on.

At 60fps!

I thought Halo 4 was an awesome game with the exception of those damn Prometheans (just not fun to fight) because they were just tedious and hid behind stuff way to much.

I consider myself a diehard Halo fan (not Gamestop at midnight dressed like Master Chief diehard) and cannot wait to see what 343i has done in Halo 5 (or whatever comes next).

Edit: before anyone says I just make empty statements without criticism or reasons, I posted about 20 posts in thought out posts in the Halo OT threads, but after sometime you just lose your power and give up. There were so many posts even before the game released by members that suggested things and ... nope nothing

You really need to learn to accept others opinions. Yours is absolutely no better than any others.

I didnt like Halo 2 much compared to Halo CE and Halo 3, Reach was fun and Halo 4 was great in my opinion. But I am sure you will bash me for that.

mhi

Pretty much describes my decision making.

Halo was the franchise "anchoring" me to the Xbox name and given the last iteration's disappointment, am heading back to the Playstation. Already let my Xbox Live tag i've had since 2005 expire.

Muffdraul

I'd like to see several new alien types in the next Halo. It was tiring fighting the Convenant and the Prometheans were boring in Halo 4.

Just go mad and design some creative enemies basically.

I was pretty bummed out when I found out the Covenant were back in Halo 4. I was into the idea that Halo 3 ended the Covenant war, that story was finished, and Halo 4 was the beginning of a new story with all new enemies. Safe to say 343i decided to bring the Covenant back because they were afraid of alienating long time Halo fans. Well, I'm a long time Halo fan and I was more alienated by bringing them into the new story line. They should have ditched them entirely and come up with more Prometheans instead, I say.

Estocolmo

I cant understand the hate Halo 4 gets here on Neogaf. Whats so bad about it? For starters it is the best looking and most impressive technical game on the 360. The story, gameplay and multiplayer have all been upgraded to the max.

What is the hate all about?!

Caja 117

I cant understand the hate Halo 4 gets here on Neogaf. Whats so bad about it? For starters it is the best looking and most impressive technical game on the 360. The story, gameplay and multiplayer have all been upgraded to the max.

Is not just GAF.

Mugatu

I don't think it's a bad game, but to me you can definitely tell that it's not a Bungie game.

Plus I hate the Prometeans.

Korosenai

Multiplayer: H3 > H2 = H1 > Reach > 4

I've just put so much time into Halo 3 (more than any game i've ever played) that there's no way I can't put it first.

Single-Player: ODST > H1 > Reach > the rest

And i'm the same way OP. Bought an Xbox 360 for Halo 3, hated Halo Reach but still played it alot, gave Halo 4 a chance and just didn't like it at all. Since armor abilities are gonna possibly be back, along with more perks and bullshit, i'm skipping out on Halo 5 and the Xbone for now.

Brickhunt

I don't like this word, "upgraded", because it makes seem that Halo 4's multiplayer was the natural direction the franchise would take when it is clear as crystal that Halo's traditional arena shooter multiplayer was changed into something closer to Call of Duty because of "dat COD audience." It wasn't an upgrade, it was a change of direction.

Sometimes, a direction change isn't bad. But as Halo 4's population chart shows, the new direction simply didn't work. Sometimes, CODfying already established arena shooters isn't a good idea.

MaGlock

I wish instead of pushing 343 in a 2 year cycle to make 5 they would take their time release in 2015 and have halo 2 anniversary multiplayer f2p next year.

ethomaz

Banned
After play Halo 4 MP you will want to go back to Halo 2 again.

BTW the MP is almost dead if compared with previous Halos.

Jarmel

Banned
The Halo 4 campaign was probably my favorite out of all the Halos. It had its flaws but so did the rest of them.

Top Bottom