• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse confirmed running native at 900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
cJuPNi.png

Twitter | Aaron Greenberg

900p (1600 x 900) upscaled to 1080p (1920 x 1080).

Confirmed now is Forza 5 at 1080p/60fps, Ryse at 900p/30fps, Killer Instinct at 720p/60fps and unconfirmed is Dead Rising supposedly having a dynamic resolution at 30fps.

Clarification of resolutions.

720p | 1280 x 720 | 921,600 pixels
900p | 1600 x 900 | 1,440,000 pixels - 56% more pixels than 720p
1080p | 1920 x 1080 | 2,073,600 pixels - 125% more pixels than 720p, 44% more pixels than 900p

For kicks.

1080-900=180

Xbox 180 confirm.

All of this resolution talk means barely anything to me on my 32in gaming TV lol. Highly doubt i'll notice the difference between 900p and 1080p.

Valnen

Does PS4 have a scaler chip too? Would be nice because I game on a PC monitor and they don't really do scaling.

Doesn't matter, game still looks incredible. As I said in the other thread, now I'm not as concerned that everything I was seeing was running on a high end pc, and thus would possibly not be representative of the actual game.

I can tell this thread is going to go places.

Horrible, horrible places =P

Yea, the real hardcore console warriors will come out in force. :p

Artorias

Banned
Honestly, it was nice of him to tell the truth.

I know that shouldn't be applauded but after these last few months of lies and FUD its decent of him to clarify this before release rather than ignore it until its thrown in their faces.

Got to focus on dat image quality for promotional screenshots, resolutions and framerate be damned. This gen made that all too obvious.

Tagyhag

Man that's pretty crazy, It should at very least run well.

Funny side note: I remember back when people though there was no real difference between native and upscaled and now it's all the rage, oh how times change.

hawk2025

Doesn't matter, game still looks incredible. As I said in the other thread, now I'm not as concerned that everything I was seeing was running on a high end pc, and thus would possibly not be representative of the actual game.

It does look incredible.

But yes, it matters. It's a lower resolution, of course it matters.

the hell is that?

iqusqHO8u8FNs.gif

I don't know why you're laughing... A couple of games have used it already.

Basically it scales up/down the framebuffer resolution depending on frame rate. If you're below a threshold, it will render the game at a lower resolution. If it starts performing better, it will scale it back up.

Off the top of my head I know that Doom 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 both have dynamic resolution.

KI 720P and now Ryse 900p...

I'm pretty sure you won't find many people arguing that in a fighting game, frame rate > resolution. It's always better to have a higher resolution, but maintaining 60fps is key.

I've seen Ryse in person at E3. It looked gorgeous. This is the start of the gen, so I'm okay with 900p. Hell, that's a higher resolution than most of the big games we're getting on our current systems, and I still think games like The Last of Us looked pretty. Just like current gen, once devs learn the ins and outs of the hardware, they'll be able to pull off more graphical tricks.

nib95

Banned
Dynamic resolution? the hell?!

Means the resolution changes depending on what's going on or how resource intensive the particular scene or segment is in order to keep the frame rate stable. Eg, if there's lots going on (loads of zombies on screen or mass carnage) it could drop to say 720p, but other times run at 1080p or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom