• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS5 and Xbox Series X run Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty at 900p resolution sometimes

Azurro

Banned
I'd probably buy one, I did with the PS4 pro.

The issue is that the majority of PS4 owners didn't feel the need to, and I don't blame them for that. Its just more expense to the consumer and added weight on the devs to support and optimize yet another SKU.

At the end of the day, be it the Pro or the One X it isn't going to last any longer than the end of the base console's generation. So why should anyone get psyched over buying an expensive upgrade model that's going to last half a generation?

What's the problem with it being "only" 3 or 4 years? It'd obviously be targeting more enthusiastic gamers with a bit more disposable income. Some people spend more money in the same time span for a new laptop or a new phone.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
What's the problem with it being "only" 3 or 4 years? It'd obviously be targeting more enthusiastic gamers with a bit more disposable income. Some people spend more money in the same time span for a new laptop or a new phone.
"Options" has become quite the problem it seems

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Here's the reality: Everything is always going to be targeted at the base console, because that's always going to have the larger install-base. Which means that the added capability of the enhanced system isn't really going to be tapped into for both creative and economic reasons.

So, you're essentially going to pay for a premium priced offering that is never going to be utilized to its fullest, is never going to have any exclusive content, and is going to have half the lifespan of a regular console. Its just not that good of a deal.

I'm stressing buy a new GPU not because I'm white knighting for PC, its because FUNCTIONALLY its going to serve the purpose and have likely greater longevity and benefit because even if each component iteration doesn't have the same cost/perf advantage ratio the greater frequency of new releases will ensure that eventually a better deal will come along.

Most of all though, why would anyone buy a fixed spec system when the inherent consequences of that makes it inevitable that sooner or later devs will push its capabilities to its limit? If you demand to stay ahead of the performance curve, it makes zero sense.

Not everyone thinks that maximal frame-rate and resolution is a requirement, but if you do feel like that, PC is going to cover your needs far better than a console will.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Here's the reality: Everything is always going to be targeted at the base console, because that's always going to have the larger install-base. Which means that the added capability of the enhanced system isn't really going to be tapped into for both creative and economic reasons.

So, you're essentially going to pay for a premium priced offering that is never going to be utilized to its fullest, is never going to have any exclusive content, and is going to have half the lifespan of a regular console. Its just not that good of a deal.

I'm stressing buy a new GPU not because I'm white knighting for PC, its because FUNCTIONALLY its going to serve the purpose and have likely greater longevity and benefit because even if each component iteration doesn't have the same cost/perf advantage ratio the greater frequency of new releases will ensure that eventually a better deal will come along.

Most of all though, why would anyone buy a fixed spec system when the inherent consequences of that makes it inevitable that sooner or later devs will push its capabilities to its limit? If you demand to stay ahead of the performance curve, it makes zero sense.

Not everyone thinks that maximal frame-rate and resolution is a requirement, but if you do feel like that, PC is going to cover your needs far better than a console will.

This is a misunderstanding of technology. There is this silly belief of magical "optimization" that will magically have performance triple or quadruple as the generation goes on.

The systems do what they can do. This "optimizing them to their fullest" is already being done. They are programmable, most of the difference between platforms comes from the hardware being able to do faster what is required of them. You want something that looks better than they already do? You have to implement some technique that will have a performance cost. Better hardware will be able to do it faster.

Your argument is fallacious because it' only offers two options:

A) get used to baseline performance, no matter how shit it becomes, even if it lasts 8 years

B) Go to the limit of performance and spend unreasonable amounts of money on a fundamentally different experience.

There are more options than those. How about a console that is able to provide above 2x in raster performance of a baseline plus even higher ray tracing performance while having all the benefits of a console? A lot of people don't want to deal with the shitty side of PC gaming and would happily adopt this solution and you'd still have a console that offers way better value than the overpriced Nvidia cards. You'll get 60 FPS tuned by developers at higher settings. Who cares if it's not "fully taken advantage of", whatever that means, you'll still get a much better experience for a fraction of the cost of a PC.

I feel that you only think this way because of this persistent fallacious idea of magical "optimization" , that it will suddenly show up somewhere and will make your console perform 2x or 3x what it can presently do.

Give me one good reason why this magical optimization will show up, the secret sauce that will multiply performance of a console. I'm sorry, I love my PS5, but what you see is what you get.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think this is silly outrage. This is a 60 fps mode of one of the most graphically advanced games of its era. The quality mode should run at 1440p.

I really dont see how this is any different from something like AC Valhalla which had its resolution drop down to 1080p on the xsx and miles in its RT performance mode which also had its resolution drop down to 1080p. These are games that released back in 2020 and look far worse than cyberpunk.

Surfheart

This Gen is turning to shit, two of my most anticipated games, FF16 and Jedi I skipped because I'm not supporting garbage IQ and performance.

Skifi28

My GPU that is much more powerful than the consoles often runs games in the 900p range....with reconstruction. Whining about the base resolution when there is reconstruction in place is quite silly.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
With these upscaling methods this is silly metric to concentrate. Yes, its not DLSS, but then again if you go with AMD this is what you get. This game does not look as blurry as did games during Xbox One era.

Azurro

Banned
This Gen is turning to shit, two of my most anticipated games, FF16 and Jedi I skipped because I'm not supporting garbage IQ and performance.

This is silly, with reconstruction the games do not look 900p native on your screen. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Is it a good argument for PRO consoles? Yes. However, does it look like garbage? No it absolutely doesn't.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
My GPU that is much more powerful than the consoles often runs games in the 900p range....with reconstruction. Whining about the base resolution when there is reconstruction in place is quite silly.
People just like to stop, zoom in 4x and take pictures of the floor!! ... thats gaming son! Fluidity of movement be dammed!

Now seriousness... everyone has different sensibilities I coudnt give a fuck for resolution , Im not sensible to that, others are not sensible too 30 fps vs 60 fps gaming (dont know how but fuck it is their eyes not mine)... so options is better, always

SABRE220

I think this is silly outrage. This is a 60 fps mode of one of the most graphically advanced games of its era. The quality mode should run at 1440p.

I really dont see how this is any different from something like AC Valhalla which had its resolution drop down to 1080p on the xsx and miles in its RT performance mode which also had its resolution drop down to 1080p. These are games that released back in 2020 and look far worse than cyberpunk.
Well it's one of the most advanced games this gen mostly due to its amazing lighting engine and robust rt suite. Without rt(consoles) and high/mid settings its not really something pushing tech that I would associate would bring the consoles down to 900p but then again they might have upgraded the engine significantly or the base game. The recent releases have been disappointing and if this holds 60fps by launch that would be a step forward sadly,..

Last edited:

Banned
Quality mode wins again. Lmao at playing this at 900p even for 3 minutes.

quality mode is almost unplaybe. the input lag is ridiculous, even after they tried to patch it.

but we know you're the king of casuals, so I bet you wouldn't even notice and got easy mode and auto aim turned on anyway 😉

Banned

FSR2 is sadly the reconstruction method used tho.

Checkerboard rendering needs to return as the default reconstruction method on console!

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Well it's one of the most advanced games this gen mostly due to its amazing lighting engine and robust rt suite. Without rt(consoles) its not really something pushing tech that I would associate would bring the consoles down to 900p but then again recent releases have been dissapoitning.
I guess with the high costs and times of development devs are just tuning down on optimization and just brute forcing somethings, achieving certain base resolution they think is acceptable and thats it.

And then again this are 500 dollar 2020 consoles in an era that gpus and phones costs 1.500+ dollars .... freacking ps vr costs almost as the console itself.

Pro consoles cant came soon enough and next gen is pretty much guaranteed a price incrise aon base models.....furthermore next gen I really hope they come up with a two sku model (base/pro) right from the beginning .. the time for 500 dollars potato boxes as the only option at the beginning of the gen has to end IMO .. the market for high end consoles is there

vkbest

Checkerboard rendering needs to return as the default reconstruction method on console!

Checkerboard rendering requires higher resolution than FSR2 to be good. FSR2 can be decent even at 720p, Checkerboard need around 2x those pixels. In Sony games that makes sense because they are running over 1080p, in those news games need lower to 720p-900p I really doubt CR would be good enough.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Checkerboarding requires a much higher base resolution than FSR2.
If aiming for 4K youll need approx 1440p(actually higher for it to be clean).
And weve already seen these games are struggling to do 1440p internal.

FSR3 will hopefully be a massive improvement in quality.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Im ok with them dont making a pro console IF next gen they come with two skus
1 super premium 800 - 1000
1 normal 500-600

The time for ONLY 500 boxes has ended in the high end console market ... imo of course
So like the Series X/S strategy. I kind of preferred a single SKU for consoles honestly.

Surfheart

Here's what I have to say about Pro consoles.
Nintendo and Sega were tapping all the systems had and still pushing the hardware metal to do more! Ever since Sony and Microsoft entered 3rd gen these systems haven't been tapped. Everytime something gets hard "lets do a system refresh." How do you think Yu Suzuki, Shigeru Miyamoto, Shinji Mikami, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Todd Howard and Alex Seropian thought about hardware pre 2000's? These are just a few creators who took hardware for what it is and pushed the systems beyond their abilities. There was no "oh our hardware isn't strong enough" for these individuals! They just pushed past all that to deliver the job. It's sad when things get hard now days the answer must be a system refresh, upgrade or scrap it all together. During the 70's ,80's, 90's and even 2000's you built a game for the hardware given or you went out of business!

Exactly, look at the jump in quality from Uncharted to Uncharted 2, ND getting crazy with custom SPU tasks etc. There seems to be too many API and abstraction layers in modern development, it's bloated.

Surfheart

did you skip all of the ps1/2/3/4 generation too?

It's all relative isn't it. PS1/2/3 were all huge generational leaps over what came before. There are excellent looking and performing games on PS5 and SX, games that for the most part live up to what we were sold that these consoles can do but then they are not looking all that much better than the prior generation. Sure, there are improvements from the last gen but they don't really hit you in the face, you need DF zooming in 400% on something to notice it.

I don't think I owned a single game on PS4 with a resolution lower than 900p, what has happened to these new games that barely look better than last gen that they have to run at such low resolutions?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
quality mode is almost unplaybe. the input lag is ridiculous, even after they tried to patch it.

but we know you're the king of casuals, so I bet you wouldn't even notice and got easy mode and auto aim turned on anyway 😉
Ah yes, the mode they capture all the footage on for trailers, and use to advertise their game is…unplayable.

And I’m the casual.

Lmao

These consoles were praised at launch for actually being decently powered and not years behind the current technology before release, like PS4 and Xbox One, so it is a little disappointing to see them seemingly struggling to maintain a reliable 1440/60.

I think we have to accept that console will never, and can never, have any kind of future proofing unless there is significant price increase or a quantum leap in software design and optimisation.

Perhaps, a console specific version of something like DLSS, built from the ground up to run on one or both, that can revolutionise performance.

That, or find a way to stick a bleeding edge GPU, perhaps from Nvidia or AMD, into the next generation that will be overpowered at launch and whose cost can be offset by the bulk buying power of Sony and Microsoft.

Unrealistic, I'm sure.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
So like the Series X/S strategy. I kind of preferred a single SKU for consoles honestly.
No .. in this case one normal 500 console and one pro one high end more expensive (up to 1000 dollars) ... xbox strategy was one hold back horrible gimped console that will fuck development for this entire generation for first party because of "muh parity" and one normal 500 sku ...

The 500 console will still hold back the more expensive one ... just not as much as the S holds back the X .. this strategy was just ridiculous.. and the numbers show

By the way did you just bite the ludicrous PR that the X was their PRO console ? And the S the normal ? Lol ... that was just MS trowing the towel.. they are thinking next gen ... they know they fuck up with the S

Last edited:
Top Bottom