• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Phantasia released on iOS / Can play through till the end without paying

Goli

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/teiruzu-obu-fantajia/id654653023?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

Even though it's in Japanese only if you access the app listing through a device with its language set on English it has a localized description, hint at a possible release worldwide down the line?

Anyway, what I think is important is that the whole game can be played for free and Namco only makes money via items that help you throughout the game, it's an interesting new business model, since generally they're either something like a free chapter with the rest hidden behind a payment or the whole game for a "premium" amount.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So, the "old" game is free with payments only for the stuff that makes the game easier?

Goli

Considering getting this because it's free, but this is only on the Japanese App Store, right?

sigh
Yes, but making a Japanese iTunes account is really easy.
I haven't tried the game yet but I'll do so later when I get home.

So cheapskates play to the end and youtube the rest?

Or just don't waste your time because it's all in Japanese, unless there's some translation patch you can put in?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Even though it's in Japanese only if you access the app listing through a device with its language set on English it has a localized description, hint at a possible release worldwide down the line?

What do you mean by this? I see no English.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is free? LOL. I guess when you use a shitty version of the game they have no choice. =D

Stuart444

How does the game control with the touch screen?

Controls seem fluid enough. No real issues with it.

Difficulty been cranked up though? If so, explains why the AI died while I was getting used to the controls.

I couldn't see any settings though. Since I couldn't see subs on the skits, I looked around for settings to change that but saw none.

Still, seems like it could be a fun time waster if you don't have a good version of ToP at your disposal. (only other version I have is the GBA one which runs like ass)

edit:

so is this fully voiced?

any body with an account wanna give it a shot? curious what the controls are. don't see virtual buttons.

Yes it is. Lots of voice acting from the little I played anyway.

FSLink

Banned
Can someone inform me of the difference? I played some version of ToP but I wasn't aware of different versions.
SJk7lwe.gif

Super Famicom version: Original version, different character sprites before they switched artists, archaic battle system that has long range/short range like Star Ocean. Dejap Translations famously translated this one with some...creative liberties.
Lk2Okdv.png

PS1 version: Slightly updated battle system from Tales of Destiny used here, added Suzu as playable character, skits, multiplayer, artes for Chester, and Fujishima designs for characters. Fantranslated by Phantasia Productions and Absolute Zero Productions.
q7xLa6P.png

GBA version: terrible port of the PS1 version, was localized with a bad dub and translation to make it even worse.
rW8d09m.png

PSP Fully Voiced Edition: Same as PS1 but wide screen, slightly taller battle sprites, and fully voiced cutscenes
Z4nqYLy.png

PSP Tales of Phantasia X (included with Narikiri Dungeon X): Same as PSP FVE except newer sprites, Cress gets a 3 hit combo in battle, and no spell pause

I couldn't see any settings though. Since I couldn't see subs on the skits, I looked around for settings to change that but saw none.

There were never subs for Phantasia skits, the PS1 fan translations added them in.

The major difference is that in the X version, there are no pauses when magic is cast in battle.

SJk7lwe.gif

Super Famicom version: Original version, different character sprites before they switched artists, archaic battle system that has long range/short range like Star Ocean. Dejap Translations famously translated this one with some...creative liberties.
Lk2Okdv.png

PS1 version: Slightly updated battle system from Tales of Destiny used here, added Suzu as playable character, skits, multiplayer, artes for Chester, and Fujishima designs for characters. Fantranslated by Phantasia Productions and Absolute Zero Productions.
q7xLa6P.png

GBA version: terrible port of the PS1 version, was localized with a bad dub and translation to make it even worse.
rW8d09m.png

PSP Fully Voiced Edition: Same as PS1 but wide screen, slightly taller battle sprites, and fully voiced cutscenes
Z4nqYLy.png

PSP Tales of Phantasia X (included with Narikiri Dungeon X): Same as PSP FVE except newer sprites, Cress gets a 3 hit combo in battle, and no spell pause
Thanks for the replies. That is interesting, but I suppose I can understand the decision. I imagine real time spell casting may put serious strain on the smartphones.

Thanks for the replies. That is interesting, but I suppose I can understand the decision. I imagine real time spell casting may put serious strain on the smartphones.

I think you need to review your view of smartphone technology if you honestly think this statement to be true.

Goli

So I downloaded the game via iTunes and opened up the app using the same method described in the GAF iOS Gaming thread to back up your save data of each game to see if there was a hint of localization anywhere, and to my surprise there IS a folder called Localization that has some .bin files, but I think you need a hex editor to open them. Hope!

Jubern

I tried it at TGS last week and I seriously thought it control like shit. I mean, what could go wrong with using touch controls with a battle system akin to a fighting game, right?

Only tried it a few minutes though, so I'd like to give it another try... But I'm still on iPhone 4 and just noticed it's not good enough here. Welp.

I tried it at TGS last week and I seriously thought it control like shit. I mean, what could go wrong with using touch controls with a battle system akin to a fighting game, right?

Only tried it a few minutes though, so I'd like to give it another try... But I'm still on iPhone 4 and just noticed it's not good enough here. Welp.

is it just standard virtual controls mapping the movement/attack buttons?

but you know... i don't recall any version of phantasia requiring much finesse. you can mash your way to victory easily.

Anything can happen if it were poorly optimized.

The battles in the GBA version shouldn't have run like ass either, but that's what incompetence is for.

Are you guys arguing hardware or software here? The only point I was trying to make is that it's a little foolish to assume a modern smartphone can't execute a game over a decade old at the same level as hardware that is also about a decade old.

but you know... i don't recall any version of phantasia requiring much finesse. you can mash your way to victory easily.

You've clearly never experienced the absolute joy that is ToP's battle system with the training wheels taken off.

Are you guys arguing hardware or software here? The only point I was trying to make is that it's a little foolish to assume a modern smartphone can't execute a game over a decade old at the same level as hardware that is also about a decade old.
I'm not assuming anything nor am I saying that it can't run it. All I'm attempting to do is determine the reasoning behind the decision, and I'm saying that they may have run into unforeseen problems with real time spell casting, because, you know, shoddy ports and all.

Santar

The important question is if they have changed the balance of the game to encourage the microtransactions or not.

Flamfas

Yes, but making a Japanese iTunes account is really easy.
I haven't tried the game yet but I'll do so later when I get home.

I don't know why I assumed it would be so difficult

Downloading ToP and Tales of Tactics Union now

whats that? I've beaten the snes and gba one. i did mostly just mash attack because you couldn't regen tp in these (or could you, i forget).

The original SNES game doesn't have the manual mode option. GBA does IIRC, but the battle system in that is a strange hybrid of systems compared to the other, better ports.

Goli

Played this a little on my iPad Mini, and I actually really like it.
The sprites look really good and it runs very smoothly for the most part, except in the world map where there seems to be like a 20 FPS cap or something, weird.
The battles work surprisingly well too, you tap on enemies or battle field areas and the character runs to attack, it's like playing on semi-auto in a regular Tales game.
I can definitely see myself playing this more soon, but now I'll get back to KH HD!

Eusis

What's the catch?
Enjoy your spell pauses!

I'd also bring up bad controls that would inherently push you to IAP, but Tales games have always had solutions in place for that so it's probably not really a big deal even though using Manual control is probably a pipe dream.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still like the sprites of the SFC the most, wish one of the versions would let you use them again. Sure they look nothing like the art, but I miss my scholar Claus. Cowboy Claus is silly.
Also screw the cooking system, food bag was so much more convenient.

Top Bottom