• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links begins global launch, out in North America/Asia (iOS/Android)

o5LYtKz.png

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. announces that today the mobile game "Yu-Gi-Oh! DUEL LINKS" has been released globally. The release will start from North America, Asia and Oceania regions, followed by Europe, South America and Africa regions. The game will be released in 11 languages and approximately 150 countries and regions*. Celebrating its release, we will distribute Gems and log-in campaign.

Global launch bonuses
Vk0dhVY.jpg

Android
iOS
Konami PR

True Fire

I'm intrigued. Hopefully they're generous with free currency because I don't have time for fake cards when I can buy them IRL yaknow?

Is it just OG series stuff?
Yes, the only extra deck stuff is Fusion. There are cards from future sets though.
Producer did mention that past OG stuff might be possible

Can fans expect characters from the other Yu-Gi-Oh series like GX, 5Ds and beyond?

It’s a possibility, and we’re keeping our options open.

Does this have those nonsense black and white cards and synchro whatever the fuck? I don't fuck with any of that.
No, there are only Fusions for the extra deck stuff. Producer did say this though.
There are so many Duel Monsters cards in existence. Do you expect all of them to make their way to Duel Links? Especially cards revolving around Synchro, XYZ and Pendulum summoning?

Our goal is to recreate the Yu-Gi-Oh world in an authentic way, so that includes featuring important characters and signature traits from the series. All possibilities are being discussed, so we hope to have more to share with you soon.

Shoyz

Is it the same as the Japanese version? My old account is getting the same free gems for the NA launch. Hope there's global dueling.

Probably the best foundation for a Yu-Gi-Oh game I've ever seen (fast AI, good board design, fully voice acted, good 2D art + no ugly 3D models), perfect. Just gets really stale in terms of progression, not much to do besides farm basic enemies (which you can do automatically apart from proper show characters)

Yes, the only extra deck stuff is Fusion. There are cards from future sets though.
Producer did mention that past OG stuff might be possible

No, there are only Fusions for the extra deck stuff. Producer did say this though.

Thanks for the information.

I'll probably just try it out and wait for more support. I love DM but I don't want all the newer cool cards skipped out on, it just feels incomplete, imo.

I actually have a hard time believing Konami would go out of their way to create a new summoning method for the next Yugioh anime when Konami isn't even including any of the ones they introduced since GX in their games, lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
Where does this land on the mobile monetization scale? Am I going to hit that two hour "fuck you pay me" paywall?

Is this a legit Yu-Gi-Oh game?

Speed Duel format

4000 LP
20+ deck size
start with 4 card hand
3 monster zones
3 spell/trap zones with 1 field spell zone
no main phase 2
Where does this land on the mobile monetization scale? Am I going to hit that two hour "fuck you pay me" paywall?

The stamina is how many NPC are available for you to duel, 1 refresh at 7 minutes each I think. You get all your stamina back each time you reach a new Stage level though.

You can get cards through beating the legendary duelists (Yugi/Kaiba/Mai etc) but they rely heavily on getting as many score boosts as possible. There's also a card trader in game that exchanges based on gold and attribute seals.
You can also purchase cards through gems (and real money) earned through level up, log-in bonuses, etc
Here are the prices

So from reddit duel links is like a miniature version of yu gi oh that is designed for quick duels that feel like the original anime. Duel links is highly polished with lots of voice work and getting a lot of support. Duels are meant to be quick hence the 4000 lp in the game.

Duel generations plays more like traditional ygo with a wider variety of cards but is slower and less polished.

Seems like duel link is meant to be good if you want some quick ygo action on the go where as duel generations is better if you have time to play an extended game of ygo.

Mengetsu

The production of this game alone makes the last console released game look like a joke. This is everything I wanted in the graphics department and it's on mobile. This is great playing old school again. Release this on consoles with micro transactions and I would play ☺

L Thammy

I've played a fair amount of Duel Generations but I can't be assed to learn this pendulum synchro tuner dogshit. So maybe I should just stick with this.

xRaizen

It's always funny to see people complaining about Synchros/Xyz/Pendulums. It only takes a little bit of reading to learn how they work - and arguably duels are much faster nowadays because of them than they were before them.

I got back into YGO late 2014 after not having played it since ~2005 and it didn't take long to get used to them and subsequently using them.

This is super fun. Also the presentation is really good.

I won my first online match and it was vs a Japanese guy that already had some crazy cards.

chrono01

I've read one should re-roll for a Sphere Kuriboh from the Ultimate Rising Pack (he seems insanely useful, especially early on), so I'm doing just that. These packs, in-particular, apparently contain a lot of the "staples", so it's recommended to go for those first. Ideally, I'd want more than one UR along with Kuriboh, but I'm not sure my luck will manage that.

The second pack, Age of Discovery, is good for water-themed decks, and the third packs, Neo-Impact, for rituals.

I might just like this format more than the normal format. I kinda wish all the TCGs I enjoy playing had a streamlined mode like this.

Either way, this game is really well done. Looks/sounds great and there's a lot to do so far.

T.O.P

Banned
Got the apk and omfg this is amazing

Used to love the card game back near launch but i remember getting bored when it got way too complex with each new set, this feels perfect so far :D

Well, the AI is so far as dumb as it was in previous games...
Wonder if it will start cheating like it did in some games as well lol.

The game is pretty slow (because of all the voice acting) and whilst I prefer having XYZs and the like, this still has a nostalgic charm to it.

edit Tea is bae(-a)
also, uh "skills"??? well, that's an interesting addition.

Top Bottom