• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Links hits over 13 million downloads

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ckk2fzbcsuyrhkzecmjs-fron6.jpg

Konami said:
Mobile Game "Yu-Gi-Oh! DUEL LINKS"
Released in Europe, South America and Africa regions

"Yu-Gi-Oh! DUEL LINKS" has been released to approximately 150 countries and regions* from January 11th, 2017. The game has ranked No.1 in the App Store free game ranking in 9 countries and regions including the USA, and has been downloaded by 13 millions.
Source: https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/en/news/release/20170118/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20170118-e

In other Konami mobile news, Winning Eleven Club Manager has surpassed 20 million downloads, and PowaPro Soccer has surpassed 5 million downloads in a month.

I downloaded it this morning when it finally became available in europe.

Battles are slick, although getting cards looks like it's going to be pretty laborious.

No zombie deck anytime soon. :/

Is this a full on game like Hearthstone, or a "companion" app like Pokemon Trading Card Game online?

That is my question, as well. I'd be willing to put money into it, if it's a true game like Hearthstone (or Hex, or MTGO, or whichever), but it's just an "app", and not a true game, then I'm not really interested.

Is this a full on game like Hearthstone, or a "companion" app like Pokemon Trading Card Game online?

My understanding is more like Hearthstone, but it's also a simplified version of the main card game and right now it's limited to OG cards and has none of the newer stuff (which I personally find more interesting from a mechanics perspective)

I've played and am playing this game more than I have played any mobile games except for dinner dash. It's yugioh without the investment which makes it worth it. I use to play when I was like 13 so getting back to it and playing with cards I actually bought when I was younger, had a little bit of nostalgia but good shit konami. I know people are on their fuck konami stuff but I guess this is why mobile is much better for them .... they got me.

Busaiku

That is my question, as well. I'd be willing to put money into it, if it's a true game like Hearthstone (or Hex, or MTGO, or whichever), but it's just an "app", and not a true game, then I'm not really interested.

You can do proper duels, but rules have been changed a bit - there's no main phase 2 for example.

My understanding is more like Hearthstone, but it's also a simplified version of the main card game and right now it's limited to OG cards and has none of the newer stuff (which I personally find more interesting from a mechanics perspective)

Just for clarification, I quoted "companion", because Pokemon Trading Card game online is a full on game on its own right, but it's more of a supplement to the physical card game (with codes being available in standard boosters/boxes and redeemable online), rather than its own separate infrastructure.

Big One

Banned
It's YGO but with shortened rules. It's basically a lighter version of Hearthstone.

You can also (illegally) play YGOPro like everyone else does, lol.

Just for clarification, I quoted "companion", because Pokemon Trading Card game online is a full on game on its own right, but it's more of a supplement to the physical card game (with codes being available in standard boosters/boxes and redeemable online), rather than its own separate infrastructure.

I figured as much, but still wanted to clarify

You gain cards in duel links by either beating duelists or buying booster packs with gems (gems being either winnable ingame or buyable with real money).

I don't intend to spend a penny on this game though. If they'd give me all the cards at the start I'd gladly pay £50, but I don't want to pay money to get virtual booster packs.

DNAbro

I tried it a bit and didn't like how simplified and grindy it felt immediately. The console Yugioh game was better.

Raysoul

I'm currently enjoying it, although making a themed deck is really hard. You have to really improvise on what cards do you have.

I'm currently in the level where the monsters being summoned by your enemy are stronger and has ridiculous effects.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's a full game where you buy card packs in game a la Hearthstone, but based on the Speed Dueling format.

Its good for short bursts but ultimately I found it disappointing. I really would have liked full duels as that is what I prefer. But for a mobile game it makes sense.

You can do proper duels, but rules have been changed a bit - there's no main phase 2 for example.

on top of that no main phase 2, the playing field is reduced to only 3 summons and 3 spell/traps, LP is 4000, decks are smaller, and duelists have skills, that you can in a duel thatll help.. ex. Joey can add 1000LP at start of duel, Mai can see her top card any time....etc.

overall yes it's a full game. and i'm addicted to the dueling aspect.

BUT, it does feel simplified too much. I get that they made the game "smaller" to speed up matches for mobile, but i think it hurts hte gameplay overall. a lot of cards are no longer as useful. a lot strategies are gimped now.

also, the deck building features are cumbersome. just not very robust.

dueling aside gameplay is wearing thin...you essentially just grind out daily objectives ( there is an autoplay feature too which speeds up the grind a little) to get gems. then with those gems you buy boosters hoping to unlock a few new cards. which will in turnhelp you build a deck so you climb the ranks in PVP. and there is alot of rage quitting in PVP, esp if people dont get the hand they want initially, which defeats the purpose of a good deck/player....

theres not much of anything else in terms of content. daily quests are not very varied. niether are the AI duelists you grind against.

it's decent for the yugioh fix, but for those who want a legit game. this isn't it. and yet its not a junky throwaway app. it's somewhere in between. it has a lot more substance that pokemon GO, that's for sure

ReaperXL7

Its good for short bursts but ultimately I found it disappointing. I really would have liked full duels as that is what I prefer. But for a mobile game it makes sense.

Isn't there another Yu gi oh card game on mobile that's more true to the actual TCG?

As someone who's only tangentially familiar with the series through the anime I'm finding it really enjoyable, but I can see why some who are really into the complexities of the real thing would be disappointed. I think the faster paced battles really work for the way I play mobile games.

Galang

Banned
Absolutely love the game and I think the rules really lend well to the mobile format. It seems they've been pretty clever with the cards they've chosen to release so far, but hopefully they don't go crazy with new additions. A lot of the cards even from the original card lines seem too broken for the shorter duel format imo. I would hate to even see earlier cards like Raigeki and Mirror Force with this type of set up. Everything now is pretty perfect, but I know power creep is inevitable. Will enjoy while I can

wanders

The game really could use a "pro rules" mode since a lot of decks/strategies don't work in 4000 lp and 3 monster/magic slots

Nah I think the format works really well and the card pool chosen works well in the format

A pro format would only bog down the game

Dandte

The game really could use a "pro rules" mode since a lot of decks/strategies don't work in 4000 lp and 3 monster/magic slots

Base lp 4000

Cybestein

Loose 5000 lp...well okay.

Well you can use joey's skill + the fairy type with 1300 atk who gives you lp according to the def of a destroyed monster, but this game really feels simplified. I want a real yugioh game.

got up to gold rank last night, thought i had a solid deck going, and then i ran into a wall and got crushed a few tiems ina row and tumbled back to silver :(

each person dominated me with Guardian Grarl. felt like it was OP, but who knows.... anyone have a tip to go against this card, seems like lots of upper tier decks are using it.

JCX

I love this game! I've had an urge to play a Yu-Gi-Oh game for years, but didn't want the 3DS versions since they seemed to focus on newer arcs I'm unfamiliar with. Haven't had this much fun playing Yu-Gi-Oh since the PS1 game.

Rymuth

Good stuff ~ grats for Konami.

How is it for somebody who's part of the 'old guard' of Yugioh? The whole synchro monster/bullshit that got introduced later really turned me off from the TCG.

Wichu

I love this game! I've had an urge to play a Yu-Gi-Oh game for years, but didn't want the 3DS versions since they seemed to focus on newer arcs I'm unfamiliar with. Haven't had this much fun playing Yu-Gi-Oh since the PS1 game.

The 3DS game is pretty terrible anyway (assuming you mean Duel Carnival). Very barebones story mode, no sense of progress, and no online. Have you tried Legacy of the Duelist (consoles + PC)?

wanders

Great for newcomers. No complicated bs

I like it more than standard Yugioh

Acerac

Banned
It's an enjoyable little distraction. The deck building UI needs work, but the VAs carry the game.

It's very basic for those who are worried about that.

cLOUDo

downloaded yesterday and is great so far

is a shame you only can summon 3 monster, but overall is pretty good

Tagyhag

Holy crap, I didn't know it would get that popular.

I'll probably give it a go, I'm a big fan of the original Yugioh series and cards, though the new rules sound weird.

Holy crap, I didn't know it would get that popular.

I'll probably give it a go, I'm a big fan of the original Yugioh series and cards, though the new rules sound weird.

rules are pretty much the same.. everything is just halved which simplifies strats and makes some cards and techniques worthless. it works for the most part. you should try it.

I would jump in to play this game, but with Fire Emblem: Heroes releasing in a week and a half that will take priority as my go to phone game for quite a while.

Card Boy

Banned
Never played Yu-Gi-Oh before but the game is really good! There where giving aware gems like crazy at the start to i have opened alot of free packs and got afew Ultra Rare and Super Rare cards. The voice acting gives the game a extra touch and the presentation is slick.

Tagyhag

rules are pretty much the same.. everything is just halved which simplifies strats and makes some cards and techniques worthless. it works for the most part. you should try it.

So how do you get new cards? Can you only play against bots for stuff like cards or gems or do you eventually have to hit PVP?

Kouriozan

Card selection is super limited, I'm on stage 20 and just going to log in daily to get some gems until there is nice booster packs available.

RalchAC

So how do you get new cards? Can you only play against bots for stuff like cards or gems or do you eventually have to hit PVP?

PvP doesn't grant you cards (or not many, I'm not sure 100% sure about that). Most of the game you play against NPC duelists. There are 2 types. Ordinary duelists and Legendary Duelists which are the characters from the original series.

The PvE portion is divided in stages. Each stage has a different number of Objectives that need to be fullfilled in order to go to the next stage. They can be from doing special summons, to using spell or trap cards, to win a certain amount of duels. On top of those there are weekly and permanent locks.

Generally, you play as one character. You can unlock them as you go through the stages. You fight them, and the game gives you a new set of quests you must complete to unlock them. Each character can level up, and leveling up gives you rewards (skills, cards, gems...)

The game doesn't have an stamina bar per se, but there is a maximum amount of 5 random duelists that can be in the game world at once. Once you defeat them, it takes 30 minutes for them to respawn. On top of them, there is a special character called the Vagabond, and Legendary Duelists can appear at random. I'm at stage 11, I think, and I have to say I've never run out of things to do.

You can get new cards in 4 ways:

- They can drop from characters, and especially from Legendary Duelists.
- You can exchange Coins and different collectibles for some cards at the card trader.
- You can buy card packs at the store.

I think that's all.

Fake edit: For PvP, there is casual and ranked. You can challenge people from your friend list too.

the gameplay loop is like this:

grind bots to complete "missions" for gems/coins/occasional card.
use gems to buy 3 card boosters
use coins to buy 1 card from card trader
aim to put together your best deck to compete in PVP where you can climb ranks. ranks get reset in season-style

other things:
there is also casual pvp for non-ranked
there's duel school where youre given a situation and have to win within 1 turn, like a puzzle.
missions also unlock duelists to use, which obviously each come with a starter deck (so another way to add cards)
you can level up your duelists, which occassionally unlock skills for them to use where you can assign 1 skill per deck ( ex. add 1000 LP, see top card of deck)

Tagyhag

PvP doesn't grant you cards (or not many, I'm not sure 100% sure about that). Most of the game you play against NPC duelists. There are 2 types. Ordinary duelists and Legendary Duelists which are the characters from the original series.
the gameplay loop is like this:
grind bots to complete "missions" for gems/coins.
use gems to buy 3 card boosters
use coins to buy 1 card from card trader
aim to put together your best deck to compete in PVP where you can climb ranks. ranks get reset in season-style

Awesome thanks guys! While I like Yugioh I wouldn't have that much daily time to put into it and I would be afraid of being left behind. But since I can pretty much just play PVE I'm in!

BrunOz

the game is great for old school yu-gi-oh fans (no synchro bullshits and only season 1 characters), new format is simple, fast and fun and a breath of fresh air to the game, I've been playing for 13 days, got king of games on ranking by playing online, got multiple good decks for the sake of variety and I'm having lots of fun playing with many of my friends, didn't spend a single penny, good game.

Base lp 4000

Cybestein

Loose 5000 lp...well okay.

Well you can use joey's skill + the fairy type with 1300 atk who gives you lp according to the def of a destroyed monster, but this game really feels simplified. I want a real yugioh game.

You can also unlock an skill for Tea which prevents any damage to your life points during the turn of activation, then BOOM ...free Ultimate Blue Eyes lol

the game is great for old school yu-gi-oh fans (no synchro bullshits and only season 1 characters), new format is simple, fast and fun and a breath of fresh air to the game, I've been playing for 13 days, got king of games on ranking by playing online, got multiple good decks for the sake of variety and I'm having lots of fun playing with many of my friends, didn't spend a single penny, good game.

You can also unlock an skill for Tea which prevents any damage to your life points during the turn of activation, then BOOM ...free Ultimate Blue Eyes lol

Oh, so that's how this bs happened. lol
not my pic

I downloaded. Pretty cool. Surprisingly good actually it's like a full game. That being said I wish it had a full field and a full hand.

Just to chime in the games awesome. It was a juxtaposition playing the mobile and the newly released game on Steam. No XYX or Synchronization bullshit and always online games to be had makes it the best Yu-gi-Oh game I've ever played. It doesn't hurt the game looks and is well produced.

Stromlord

but but

Cyber-Stein's effect isn't even damage, it's a cost that forces you to pay life points.

And now that I think about it, you can't even attempt to activate effects that force you to pay more life points than you actually have.

Well whatever Cyber-Stein eff, summon Last warrior from another planet gg.

Top Bottom