• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links begins global launch, out in North America/Asia (iOS/Android)

Eternal is more Magic than HS - lots more strategy, but maintains the accessible nature of HS,

Is Hex planning to come to phones?

At the rate they are developping the game, the release date for this would be : never.
It's a shame because i enjoyed my time with the game , but now i enjoy more playing Eternal card game on my ipad.(closed beta)

L Thammy

Way more meaty than Duel Generation but it's boring how much they're treating you with kid gloves at the beginning. I place a monster with 1750 attack, they place a monster with 900 in attack mode. Come on, NPC jobbers, you've got to at least look like you're trying.

edit: Three pages into the release thread and y'all are talking about other games instead. Not a good look for this one.

To be honest, this game is the most fun I've had with a digital card game in a while. It plays well and has decent production quality. Manages to get the spirit of the card game and the anime without being a chore to play. I think once they add in more sets/characters the game will really shine.

At the rate they are developping the game, the release date for this would be : never.
It's a shame because i enjoyed my time with the game , but now i enjoy more playing Eternal card game on my ipad.(closed beta)
It is a shame. I just reamed Hex a new one in a recent survey. They have a lot left undone from the Kickstarter that may never happen.

As far as Eternal is concerned, I'd like it more if there was some card flavor/world building. Even just some sound effects for each card would be nice. I find most of the game's art to be pretty bland, so it's hard to really enjoy the game beyond just the gameplay.

Chille

Kaiba will always be my favourite character
C16YRPjW8AAvIsb.jpg

gryvan

Way more meaty than Duel Generation but it's boring how much they're treating you with kid gloves at the beginning. I place a monster with 1750 attack, they place a monster with 900 in attack mode. Come on, NPC jobbers, you've got to at least look like you're trying.

edit: Three pages into the release thread and y'all are talking about other games instead. Not a good look for this one.

Once auto duel is accessible, everything just feels non tedious

Only 3 cards in a pack is lame as hell. Is 3 the standard for these kinds of mobile games?

Also is there a trade option because I don't see the point of having more than 3 of a card in the box if you can't trade. I do appreciate the idea of showing you what's still available though.

Only 3 cards in a pack is lame as hell. Is 3 the standard for these kinds of mobile games?

Also is there a trade option because I don't see the point of having more than 3 of a card in the box if you can't trade. I do appreciate the idea of showing you what's still available though.

You can trade in extra cards for coins to trade with the card trader.
I agree 3 per pack is dumb, feel like it should be 4, equal to your starting hand size at least.

Ken

i dont want to relive the era of beatdown decks only

is northwemko a card you can build a deck around? i want to mess around with cards i didn't have when i played the TCG

Koyuga

We will likely go through all the other eras of Yu-Gi-Oh as the game develops.

I'm sure they will, but it's hard for me to stay optimistic about this since its the 3rd or 4th time konami has put out a "yugioh online" type deal only drop support for it later on. Wish we could get something like what Pokemon or MtG has.

Jeffrey

this might be the best tutorial (in the training room) for a yugioh video game lol.

feel like most just assume you played the tcg.

You also get goodies!

turning off VA audio speeds up the dialogue without having to tap.

changing the power usage to max speeds up gameplay and framerate, also put it to topdown for quicker.

So I'm better off playing Duel Generation then?

It's nice for a nostalgia trip, but so far... I'm actually starting to get bored. OG Yugioh is sorely lacking in interesting plays. Everything revolves around have the highest attack, and there isn't even Mirror Force to even things out.

At least with Stairway to the Destined Duel, I could create a hilarious burn deck.

Hilariously, there is a replay thing where you can watch replays of PVP matches, it has a setting for 1 turn KO's most of which I've watched are one player forfeiting for no discernible reason.

HardRojo

I played Yugioh back when decks from the GBA game The Eternal Duelist Soul were the standard. Will I feel at home with the rules and cards from this game? It's been a while.

I played Yugioh back when decks from the GBA game The Eternal Duelist Soul were the standard. Will I feel at home with the rules and cards from this game? It's been a while.

I'd say so, but you'll be more limited in the acquisition of cards, there is also less cards at the moment in general.

HardRojo

I'd say so, but you'll be more limited in the acquisition of cards, there is also less cards at the moment in general.

Probably for the better for me, if it's OG stuff then I'm definitely in. I saw stuff like Necro Exodia and other shit and I was like WTF have they done to Yugioh?

What's the difference between this and Duel Generation? Does this still have Synchro/XYZ/Pendulum stuff?

I feel like pendulum would be pretty worthless in this type of format anyways given you have less cards to work with and can summon less monsters even with a successful pendulum

Kouriozan

Downloaded it from the US store, French has no voice di-sap-poin-ted !!
But I guess we should be used to it, at least let us change the dub language!

Duels are super slow and it's the super rules, still not the mobile Yu-Gi-Oh! game I would throw money in.

L Thammy

What's the difference between this and Duel Generation? Does this still have Synchro/XYZ/Pendulum stuff?

They're totally different games. From what I can tell:

Link:
- 4000 LP.
- Max of 3 monsters and 3 magic/traps on the field.
- No special monster types past ritual and fusion.
- Cards are unlocked by purchasing booster packs with real money or gems, or unlocked with characters or Duel School.
- You choose which set you're getting booster packs from.
- Cards can be exchanged for in-game money (no idea what that does)
- Characters can be leveled too unlock more bonuses, including special skills
- Progress by completing a certain set of missions (generally involves defeating enemies). There are also random battles and Duel School as side content.
- Deck slots are limited by character, but more can be earned by leveling or by purchasing for real money.

Generations
- 8000 LP.
- Max of 5 monsters and 5 magic/traps.
- All special monster types.
- Cards are unlocked by purchasing booster pack with real money or points, or defeating enemies.
- Booster packs purchased using points don't seem to come from a particular set, or at least have no option to choose. Packs purchased with real world money seem to come from a certain archetype instead (e.g. Exodia)
- Full decks can also be purchased with real money.
- Characters are purely cosmetic
- Progress by defeating opponents in a linear fashion. Weekly ladder challenge is the only other side content, but opponents have more challenging decks after being beaten five times.
- All deck slots seem to be fully available from the start.

Also the presentation is totally different, with Link generally being much more flashy while Generations is very basic.

Chille

Anyone know what gold does yet? Spent half the day rerolling. Also Kaiba is the best, especially his trash talking.

Can use the card trader to purchase rare cards using gold, but they cost alot :/

also if your on android, there is ways to get the game in EU *wink wink*

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Signed up for the freebies, but I'll have to spend some time over the weekend to gauge what set they're on and what the f2p model is like. I feel like YGO plays really awfully when you don't have at least the staples.

Shoyz

Sucks you guys playing now missed out on getting Pegasus and his cards. The event will probably come back again, but who knows when. Relinquished is fun to use with the new Djinn cards.

Nice of them to run the game's first and only(?) event for only a handful of days overlapping Christmas. I want Yami Marik!

Was clamoring for Magic Jammer and realized half the AI don't know what a spell card is and misuses cards lol.

Toughest part of the game has been the practice duels where you can get stuck with a dead draw or dead hand and just outright lose.

gryvan

Is there any downside to it? Usually games penalize or it costs you something for using something like that.

think the only downside is that AI can be sometimes stupid. forexample if its dealing with an effect monster (a flip type monster) it will always always set it face down regardless if it has the highest attack and can attack and kill every single monster the enemy throws at it.

Top Bottom