• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I find funny how people leave believing everything this guy says. I don't know this guy agenda, what interest he have behind this and the source of his informations.

Hmm, so just because I don't know his agenda, interest and sources, I will not believe someone who has an accuracy rating of around 90+ % when it comes to leaks or news he's corroborated on.

Sounds rational. /s

I can back the boat up on a few of his points.

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.
Playground Bully :p

IN&OUT

Banned

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.

MS Reaction to Feb reveal:

Piggus

None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

The most telling is the 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM with no dedicated VRAM (other than the eSRAM).

We know that Sony was always going to go with GDDR5 because it's good for GAMING, even if it meant shipping with only 4 GBs. We know they got very lucky with GDDR5 densities to be able to include 8 GBs instead.

My theory... and this has been mentioned by others as well...

We can deduce from Microsoft's decision to use DDR3 that the system was always going to have a large amount of memory for all their apps/app switching and multimedia stuff. However they were not willing to risk using a more expensive solution like GDDR5 because even as of last year there probably wasn't any indication that a large amount of GDDR5 would be affordable. And by then their system architecture would have been locked down. Therefore it was always going to have DDR3... Which has consequences. You simply cannot pair a powerful GPU with DDR3 or you'll run into major bandwidth issue. Hell, even low/mid range GPUs rarely use anything but GDDR5. Hence the relatively weak GPU in the Xbone and the attempt to use eSRAM as a bandaid to mitigate bandwidth issues. This eSRAM has also resulted in a much more complex APU (despite being less powerful) which makes the yield issue rumor from CBOAT a lot more likely. You KNOW Microsoft is wishing they had taken a chance with GDDR5.

Sony on the other hand has no such problems with GDDR5. They could have thrown in any GPU they wanted. I wish they would have chosen something a little more powerful to really take advantage of all that memory bandwidth but what they ended up with is understandable considering the price they targeted.

shem935

Banned
My point already been made.

And I find funny how people leave believing everything this guy says. I don't know this guy agenda, what interest he have behind this and the source of his informations.

Your point is inane...the fact that you are doubting a leak from a source that has a success rate of 90%, that has been leaking correct information since 05, and has been verified by every mod on this site speaks to willful ignorance or stubborn opposition to facts proven time again due to your own personal agenda of spreading fud.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Still shocked at the idea of MS being caught so badly off guard by the PlayStation Meeting. Orbis rumors date back to early 2012 and even those called the late 2013 launch period, I don't see why the assumed Sony was so far behind.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm not working for any developers, but I'd imagine it's because Microsoft knows it doesn't matter anywhere except message boards like this one and least of all for sales.

No business gives up performance related bullet points to a competitor, because those always matter.

Soooo.. Xbone is launching right on time?
Interesting they they might have been so far off on their spec estimates for PS4 tho.

Maybe they were expecting Sony to pack in PS Eye which would even out the price differential a fair bit.

No one was expecting Sony to have 8 GB of GDDR RAM - not even Sony. To be fair to Microsoft's eyes in the sky, you generally can't know more about the competitor's future plans than they do.

Josh7289

My pet theory is the MS gave the approval for the Xbox 720 program late, and only with some serious strings attached.

What we know:

This isn't a game console, it's the culmination of Ballmer's vision for Microsoft:
  1. It expands the Windows 8/Windows Phone/Surface ecosystem (probably meant to save the latter two).
  2. It is an advertising goldmine and execs can't conceal their glee. Microsoft has been watching Google and Apple's advances here with palpable envy. 80M users (or 49M gold) would be a nice advantage.
  3. It is a new means of interacting with computers, using Kinect everywhere. So of course it is mandatory here. Dat business/consumer synergy. MS seriously believes your next computer might have Kinect as an alternate control scheme.
None of these things require much hardware power, all of them (I am speculating) were forced on the Xbox One before serious design could even begin. It was always hamstrung, and it is the product of some serious horse trading behind the scenes.

tumblr_m1mkwdUaGU1r9g4gho1_400.jpg

Sounds about right. Also sounds like a recipe for failure.

I'm totally rushing ahead of myself at least 5 years here, but first their failure to enter the smartphone business early, then Windows 8, and now Xbox One... And also newer alternatives to their mainstay Office and I think we may be living in the era that will be looked back at as the rapid decline of Microsoft.

But with a new CEO, maybe they'll fix all this soon. Maybe.

Ponn

Banned
Simple translations: All early adopters are going to be willing beta testers. Best version of the hardware in two years.

This applies to Sony too, take note.

Yeah, I'm bitter after the last one.

As a gamer through multiple generations this is pretty much true for every console.

As someone who went through two xbox 360s i have 0 pity for Xbox One launch buyers if another rrod fiasco happens. Its like touching a hot burner, getting burnt, then immediately touching it again just to make sure.

If history, early insider warnings and extreme last minute spec changes isnt enough to give someone pause then godspeed. Just dont start a thread in a month of launch about your shit breaking and expect pity.

Soooo.. Xbone is launching right on time?
Interesting they they might have been so far off on their spec estimates for PS4 tho.

In a way, yes.

But here's another story you won't hear from anyone inside Sony but I will put my account here on the line as absolutely true. Cerny was told from the get-go "Your target price is $299 to $399." Every step of the way, every decision he and his team made, had this goal in mind.

Anything but $399 was never a possibility. They started building it around GDDR5 (2gb at first, then 4) and with the camera packed and it was $399. GDDR5 got cheaper quicker and they made higher capacity chips earlier than they could have ever projected and in the week leading up to the reveal they decided to drop the camera and up the ram to 8gb.

That later point is fairly well known by now... but my point is that an engineer is looking at the last/highest possible figure. If you say "299 to 399" they are making a machine that is $399. If you say "late '13 to early (and by early I mean spring) '14" they are thinking '14. And I think that's fairly obvious now that it's launching in 13 countries and without voice support for most languages. They aren't ready.

3DS launched without an eshop. Vita launched without PSone support. The Wii U OS was a disaster for most of this year. Shit happens. But if you look at all of the data coming in from things being pushed to next year to launch games just not being ready - I think you'll find that November isn't really the month they should launch in.

I think MS will have it together by next holiday. The question is whether this rocky start will bury them or not.

Yoda

Simple translations: All early adopters are going to be willing beta testers. Best version of the hardware in two years.

My point already been made.

image.php

image.php

Why do people with sonic avatars not like Sony? =/

allan-bh

Hmm, so just because I don't know his agenda, interest and sources, I will not believe someone who has an accuracy rating of around 90+ % when it comes to leaks or news he's corroborated on.

Sounds rational. /s

Everyone chooses what to believe. The past record doesn't mean reliable information all the time and he was proved wrong recently.

So, I'm sorry, but I prefer to be skeptical to leave believing in someone who does not always right, and I don't know the motivations.

Can anyone guarantee that cboat has no interest in harming the Xone?

Biker19

Banned
The most telling is the 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM with no dedicated VRAM (other than the eSRAM).

We know that Sony was always going to go with GDDR5 because it's good for GAMING, even if it meant shipping with only 4 GBs. We know they got very lucky with GDDR5 densities to be able to include 8 GBs instead.

My theory... and this has been mentioned by others as well...

We can deduce from Microsoft's decision to use DDR3 that the system was always going to have a large amount of memory for all their apps/app switching and multimedia stuff. However they were not willing to risk using a more expensive solution like GDDR5 because even as of last year there probably wasn't any indication that a large amount of GDDR5 would be affordable. And by then their system architecture would have been locked down. Therefore it was always going to have DDR3... Which has consequences. You simply cannot pair a powerful GPU with DDR3 or you'll run into major bandwidth issue. Hell, even low/mid range GPUs rarely use anything but GDDR5. Hence the relatively weak GPU in the Xbone and the attempt to use eSRAM as a bandaid to mitigate bandwidth issues. This eSRAM has also resulted in a much more complex APU (despite being less powerful) which makes the yield issue rumor from CBOAT a lot more likely. You KNOW Microsoft is wishing they had taken a chance with GDDR5.

Sony on the other hand has no such problems with GDDR5. They could have thrown in any GPU they wanted. I wish they would have chosen something a little more powerful to really take advantage of all that memory bandwidth but what they ended up with is understandable considering the price they targeted.

I agree. The Xbox One may also have 8 GB's of RAM, but the type of RAM that Microsoft has inside of it is very slow & outdated for today's standards. That's why they had to include 32 MB's of eSRAM to help compensate for it, but even that's not enough entirely; they need more than 32 MB's of it. Now Microsoft has no choice but to deal with the kind of hardware that they made for their upcoming system for the next 5 to 7 years.

Sony made the smart choice by going with GDDR5 for gaming. PC developers are most likely using it for their games now & will in the future (if not already).

Now i am concerned.

So you are telling me my $500 console can't give me 1080P gaming and is underpowered?

Cboat speaks the truth so i am very very worried now. FUCK

SRTtoZ

Sorry if I missed it, can someone explain to me why he "encodes" his statements? I mean it's not like he's hiding from anyone anymore with it.

He did it to TRY and keep it from getting too much attention outside Gaf but that really doesnt work anymore since most gaming sites browse here. Its more or less his thing now.

Would've loved to be at MS's HQ the day of the PS4 reveal and see them quaking in their boots.

CLEEK

Sony played their hand very close to their chest this time around. Compare that to the PS3, and how much Sony had been banging on about Cell. As far as my hazy memory goes, Cell was announced as being in the PS3 a good 18 months before the console was released.

Combine this with the shenanigans with MS and IBM, where the Xenon CPU was derived from the same R&D that produced the Cell. MS would have had a far clearer picture of what the final PS3 would be like, a long time before it hit the market.

Two areas that Sony have been unrecognisable from the pre-PS3 era. Not only have they produced a console with ease of developed at the fore (so based on common x86 tech, built using a mature fabrication process), they've also improved their legal team and made sure AMD couldn't fuck them over like IBM did 8 years ago.

akira28

It's pretty crazy to think that an MS employee is leaking things like that. Stay safe cboat!

He's a fucking saint. A fucking prophet in the belly of the beast. Those fucks. Those tremendous fucks are gonna try and bone us again, just so they can "keep up appearances" in their competition with Sony. I spit. *ptoo*

njean777

Well yea if the people giving advice on which console to buy are doing so based only on which platform runs games at higher resolution then it would matter. I usually try to take my friends' tastes into account as that's why they're asking me and not somebody who doesn't know what they like. Most of the people on here probably aren't close-minded enough to evangelize for one platform for something so silly, and Microsoft isn't going to reach those people regardless of what they do anyways.

combine resolutions, better hardware, and 100$ cheaper and everything starts to add up. It isnt and has never been only about resolutions. You are conveniently leaving out the other important aspects of the console. I bring my friends tastes into account as well, but I do not leave out the faults of both systems when telling them about both consoles. I tell my friends that MS is charging 100$ more for the weaker system, not to jab MS, but to let them know. I tell them about the games as well, and most of them can decide from there.

shem935

Banned
Everyone chooses what to believe. The past record doesn't mean reliable information all the time and he was proved wrong recently.

So, I'm sorry, but I prefer to be skeptical to leave believing in someone who does not always right, and I don't know the motivations.

Can anyone guarantee that cboat has no interest in harming the Xone?

Why are you so concerned that his leaks may be harming the XBONE? Are you married to the thing?

As pointed out by many people he has posted positive leaks for the bone before.

Piggus

I'm not working for any developers, but I'd imagine it's because Microsoft knows it doesn't matter anywhere except message boards like this one and least of all for sales.

It matters a lot more than you think. Anyone who thinks specs are just message board fodder hasn't talked to many people about it outside of message boards. People know the PS4 is both cheaper AND more powerful. And that's a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

Still shocked at the idea of MS being caught so badly off guard by the PlayStation Meeting. Orbis rumors date back to early 2012 and even those called the late 2013 launch period, I don't see why the assumed Sony was so far behind.

Predictions about your competitor's strategy are often one of the most subjective and dangerous things done in boardroom meetings.

I mean, from a financial standpoint, one would be excused to see that SCE would not launch PS4 this year. They've only recently restabilised their grounds, and pushing for a new console launch in 2013 does nothing to help that due to the investments needed for a major console launch.

From a games standpoint, looking at PS3's exclusive line-up this year, one can be forgiven to not think this was a console launch year. GoW:A, GT6, TLoU, Beyond: Two Souls, Puppeteer, Rain. A stark contrast from MS's line-up.

Another piece that I see happen often in business discussions about competitor strategy, is making assumptions about the 'logic' & 'thought process' of your competitors, in line with your own.

I don't work in the games industry, but I can safely say that some of the predictions we make about our competitors are close to being 'out-of-the-ass' in all the qualitative assumptions.

TheD

The Detective
I agree. The Xbox One may also have 8 GB's of RAM, but the type of RAM that Microsoft has inside of it is very slow & outdated for today's standards. That's why they had to include 32 MB's of eSRAM to help compensate for it, but even that's not enough entirely; they need more than 32 MB's of it.

Sony made the smart choice by going with GDDR5 for gaming. PC developers are most likely using it for their games now & will in the future (if not already).

I would not call DDR3 outdated, it is just not meant for use as VRAM.

SRTtoZ

Its really mind boggling how the architect(s) of the XB1 didnt sit down and come to an agreement that the console should have enough power to make 1080p mandatory. I understand you dont want to force a developer to stick to a certain res when their visions might use other effects better but thats not whats going on here. You cant tell me Double Helix wanted a launch fighter running at 720p.

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Well MS couldn't get xbox to survive another RROD situation. So if that does happen that's the whole xbox division out of the industry. Real shame for a few reasons. Wonder who would take their place?

Sony played their hand very close to their chest this time around. Compare that to the PS3, and how much Sony had been banging on about Cell. As far as my hazy memory goes, Cell was announced as being in the PS3 a good 18 months before the console was released.

Combine this with the shenanigans with MS and IBM, where the Xenon CPU was derived from the same R&D that produced the Cell. MS would have had a far clearer picture of what the final PS3 would be like, a long time before it hit the market.

Two areas that Sony have been unrecognisable from the pre-PS3 era. Not only have they produced a console with ease of developed at the fore (so based on common x86 tech, built using a mature fabrication process), they've also improved their legal team and made sure AMD couldn't fuck them over like IBM did 8 years ago.
Is that partly why Sony didn't go with IBM for next gen?

Wait, what did IBM do?

Mentok

Banned

I'm with you. I'm holding off on the next gen, at least a year, considering all that happened to me this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom