• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Owners Not As Casual As GAF Thinks? (GH III related)

dyls

Looking at the GH III leaderboards, Wii scores are pretty far ahead of both 360 and (especially) PS3 scores. GH III may be a casual-friendly game, but there's nothing casual about getting over 100 million, not to mention that this is the first iteration available on Wii so the scores should be lower than GH veterans of 360 or PS2.

i1400755_wii.jpg

i1400756_360.jpg

i1400754_PS3.jpg

So what's going on here?
Will the Wii version end up being the best selling?
Did some Wii owners figure out how to hack their scores?
Are more old PS2 owners ugrading to Wii than the other Next-gen consoles?
Is the wireless tech in the Wii-mote more reliable than the proprietary Red Octane wireless?
Are Hi-def textures just too distracting?
Did Vicarious Visions somehow make the game easier than the other versions?
Is mono the only real way to play?
Are Wii owners just super badass hardcore after all?
And how the fuck did WPI09 get over 300 million??

Gowans

what ar you saying here.

By the look of it too me the best TWO players play on the Wii?

edit: the rest look similarish with the 360 and Wii, the Wiis 3-10 cover the 360s top few, PS3 is the same for the top few then its a quick decline tho.

In all its only the top tier tho

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i guess nintendo haven't done a good enough job of scaring away the lank-haired antisocial teenage crowd

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its not that all people who own a wii must be casuals, its that the hardcores that own a wii are brainwashed by Nintendo and must feed the beast.

dyls

Gowans007 said:
what ar you saying here.

By the look of it too me the best TWO players play on the Wii thats it, further down it looks the same for every platform.

Is that new math you're using? Keep going down the list, the Wii owners stay mutliple spots ahead throughout. The PS3 scores drop off incredibly quick.

I would think nintendo fans are better gamers in general for sure.. WHY?

because we've been playing games for longer.. our coordination is there.. we grew up on the stuff.

Compared to some kids first console being an xbox360 or ps3.

alot of nintendo fans have been gamers a long time and playing games growing up alot of their best experiences have been on nintendo consoles... so they keep buying nintendo products

All my best gamer friends have nintendo systems. My friend with a ps2 only gets whooped at his own games by us~ likewise my roomates with their 360.

I'm not saying that all nintendo fans > fans of other consoles.. i just think that if you grew up playing NES etc and you're still a gamer today.. chances are you probably better than the average joe.

Gowans

Suburban Cowboy said:
actually, 4 of the top 5 are wii.

said a hell of a lot better than my edit.

Yeah, I take it back,

& the Wii online have less members to take from too?
(maybe thats also the reasons for the PS3 drop off, lower sales, less people top ending)

1-D_FTW

Not exactly a scientific study. Besides, lots of non-gamers love GH. If anything, you could make the argument this leader board proves Wii is casual central.

dyls

On page 6 of each platform, every single Wii score is over 100 million, only two 360 are over 100 million, and PS3 are in the 50 million range.

dyls

1-D_FTW said:
Not exactly a scientific study. Besides, lots of non-gamers love GH. If anything, you could make the argument this leader board proves Wii is casual central.

As I said in the OP, the game may be casual. Getting over 100 million is NOT. You don't get these scores playing for twenty minutes every once in a while with a few friends. This is done by replaying, practicing like mad, and giving up all kinds of time to the game. The very definition of hardcore, no?

calder

edwardslane said:

because we've been playing games for longer.. our coordination is there.. we grew up on the stuff.

whatdog.gif

How about non-wii owners who were playing games looong before any of the Famicom's came out? There's a whole generation of gamers who view Nintendo as the johnny-come-lately of videogaming. ;)

Rezbit

Because Nintendo has no hardcore fans do they? If you analyze the Nintendo fans, you will see that they are some of the most hardcore, and dare I say, nerdiest, around.

dyls said:
So what's going on here?
Will the Wii version end up being the best selling?
Did some Wii owners figure out how to hack their scores?
Are more old PS2 owners ugrading to Wii than the other Next-gen consoles?
Is the wireless tech in the Wii-mote more reliable than the proprietary Red Octane wireless?
Are Hi-def textures just too distracting?
Did Vicarious Visions somehow make the game easier than the other versions?
Is mono the only real way to play?
Are Wii owners just super badass hardcore after all?
And how the fuck did WPI09 get over 300 million??

Are 360/PS3 owners playing COD4?
Are they playing Mass Effect?
Are they playing Uncharted?
It's the great mystery of our time.

NotWii

Banned
edwardslane said:

Totally agree.

Additionally, Nintendo gamers are also smarter, taller and sexier than their 360/PS3 counterparts.

Grayman

edwardslane said:

alot of nintendo fans have been gamers a long time and playing games growing up alot of their best experiences have been on nintendo consoles... so they keep buying nintendo products

All my best gamer friends have nintendo systems. My friend with a ps2 only gets whooped at his own games by us~ likewise my roomates with their 360.

I'm not saying that all nintendo fans > fans of other consoles.. i just think that if you grew up playing NES etc and you're still a gamer today.. chances are you probably better than the average joe.
you do realize that tens of millions of NES and SNES players bought a PS1 and PS2?

dyls

Confidence Man said:
Are 360/PS3 owners playing COD4?
Are they playing Mass Effect?
Are they playing Uncharted?
It's the great mystery of our time.

Certainly no Wii owners are playing SMG. It's not like a Mario platformer is something special to long-time Nintendo fans.

Also, I hope it was obvious that a lot of my rhetorical questions in the OP were jokes.

Sorry. I didn't intend to type anything...but I just have to say something.

A) This is very humorous

B) Do you die hard fans of any system take trolling comments as truth and try to debunk them? Didn't we already go through the reason why Wii games were mostly casual? It's the market and look Nintendo is gunning for.

And I can give you some horrible spin as well. Nintendo only console owners after suffering for two generations without getting the games everyone else had, are playing a lot harder to catch up. In case you missed there's been 2 Guitar Hero iterations thus far and so the other console owners may be bored with it.

See? Spinning isn't that hard. There was nothing to defend here, all that this will cause is more fights and the same "Wii is for casuals" that you thought making this thread would stop.

Sorry dyls.

dyls said:
Certainly no Wii owners are playing SMG. It's not like a Mario platformer is something special to long-time Nintendo fans.

Also, I hope it was obvious that a lot of my rhetorical questions in the OP were jokes.
There's a lot more major games with online play that were released as well.

So the best players, who are also connected to the internet, are playing GH3 on the Wii? Very interesting.

~Kinggi~ said:
Its not that all people who own a wii must be casuals, its that the hardcores that own a wii are brainwashed by Nintendo and must feed the beast.

But GH3 isn't a Nintendo game.

It's a third-party game...

1-D_FTW

CrushDance said:

A) This is very humorous

B) Do you die hard fans of any system take trolling comments as truth and try to debunk them? Didn't we already go through the reason why Wii games were mostly casual? It's the market and look Nintendo is gunning for.

And I can give you some horrible spin as well. Nintendo only console owners after suffering for two generations without getting the games everyone else had, are playing a lot harder to catch up. In case you missed there's been 2 Guitar Hero iterations thus far and so the other console owners may be bored with it.

See? Spinning isn't that hard. There was nothing to defend here, all that this will cause is more fights and the same "Wii is for casuals" that you thought making this thread would stop.

Sorry dyls.

If you really wanted to spin, you could say the true diehards have graduated to Rock Band.

This is clearly a fun thread, cause there's nothing to fight about. The leaderboards prove absolutely nothing.

LakeEarth

Keep in mind, having a high career score means you played easy, normal, hard, expert, co-op at various levels, etc. The people who just play expert have low total scores.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Every die-hard ninthing and its mother bought the Wii, and these are the most obsessive kind of gamer you'll find out there, SPECIALLY for rhythm games and such. No surprise at all to see this. And those people, who are obviously the ones you are seeing at the top of that ladder, are but a small percentage of the Wii userbase... Wii owners in general are casual gamers.

dyls

CrushDance said:

Always go with your first instinct. Besides, what better argument is there than three laughing emoticons. Bulletproof.

A) This is very humorous

Who cares what Nintendo is gunning for? Maybe, just maybe, somewhere in the 15 million they've sold, they've managed to grab a few non casuals as well.

Sorry dyls.

You got me. I really thought that this single thread would change the mind of stubborn Gaffers worldwide, and bring about an era of peace unseen in the internet age.

And the fact that there are more internet enabled games on the other systems actually works against your argument. It would follow that a higher percentage of PS3/360s would be connected to the internet and have their scores counted, so they should be much higher.

In the end, I was checking the GH III site to see where my scores were in relation to the rest of the world, as was surprised to find the Wii scores so much higher. This was three days ago; I figured that it just might be a matter of the updates happening at different times, or some glitch. When it continued to go this way, I decided to share my interest with others. You can keep your N-tard conspiracy theories.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
DKnight said:
Every die-hard ninthing and its mother bought the Wii, and these are the most obsessive kind of gamer you'll find out there, SPECIALLY for rhythm games and such. No surprise at all to see this. And those people, who are obviously the ones you are seeing at the top of that ladder, are but a small percentage of the Wii userbase... Wii owners in general are casual gamers.

Robot jesus supports this post.

caldazar

I don't think it's true that the GH3userbase on 360 and PS3 is a ton more experienced than the userbase on Wii. GH2 game out on 360 this past year. The sales of PS3 Guitar Hero III were so low that most of the PS2 Guitar Hero fans haven't moved over to PS3. I'd imagine that most of the really hardcore Guitar Hero veterans are playing it on PS2, and that if the PS2 version had online leaderboards, those players would be way ahead of all three of these boards.

LakeEarth

Guys again, the GH veterans won't be found on Top Rockers list because its cummulative throughout all difficulties and modes. This further proves that the Wii version is more people's first Guitar Hero, and further proves that PS2/360 has more of the hardcore GH3 players.

Um no, if you play for 30 minutes and then go on COD4 what does your GH score count for? nothing. Unless everyone with a 360/ps3 made it to a million+ every time.

And wat to get offensive, N-Tard conspiracy theories? *sigh* I wonder what happened to my N64, GC, Wii.

Point is that while it seems correct it's wrong for many reasons, you can't base it off the score alone. Whatever you earned your spot anyway.

I'm out.

Edit: And I was laughing about edwards post.

dyls

LakeEarth said:
Guys again, the GH veterans won't be found on Top Rockers list because its cummulative throughout all difficulties and modes. This further proves that the Wii version is more people's first Guitar Hero, and further proves that PS2/360 has more of the hardcore GH3 players.

Have you seen the scores you get for Easy or Medium modes? They aren't even drops in the bucket of these kind of overall scores. This requires completing Expert with 5 stars and at least a couple of near-perfect runs.

I find it funny how much defensiveness there is from the PS3/360 crowd who love to lord their hardcore-ness over the world. This is the first game that I know of that is basically identical across all three platforms and has online leaderboards. If there's a better comparison, show it to me.

Anyways it was just a fun, jokey thread, but those never last long.

dyls said:
Have you seen the scores you get for Easy or Medium modes? They aren't even drops in the bucket of these kind of overall scores. This requires completing Expert with 5 stars and at least a couple of near-perfect runs.

I find it funny how much defensiveness there is from the PS3/360 crowd who love to lord their hardcore-ness over the world. This is the first game that I know of that is basically identical across all three platforms and has online leaderboards. If there's a better comparison, show it to me.
The best comparison for what you're trying to prove would be to compare top scores for all expert songs across all platforms.

Coop

Joke topic? Let's look at the scores that matter

Career Expert

Wii

1. 13,592,766
3. 13,412,641
5. 13,149,199

2. 13,748,190
3. 13,716,773
4. 13,691,810

Arde5643

Coop said:

Career Expert

Wii

1. 13,592,766
3. 13,412,641
5. 13,149,199

2. 13,748,190
3. 13,716,773
4. 13,691,810
So top 360 GH3 players are super fags while top Wii GH3 players are 95% super fags?

Dracor

Those scores are also cumulative over all of the bands you have saved. So even though higher difficulties give you much more points, a scenario such as:

Older son completing: Easy, Easy Co-Op with friend, Med, Med Co-Op with friend, Hard, Hard Co-Op with friend
Younger son completing: Easy, Easy Co-Op with friend, Med, Med Co-Op with friend, half of Hard
Daughter completing: Easy, half of Med
Father completing: Easy, Med, Hard
Mother completing: Easy Co-Op, Med Co-Op, Hard Co-Op all with her "friend" when the father is off in Iraq

all with their own bands but on one Wii will get more Points than 1 Guy alone in his basement 5 Starring Med, Hard and Expert on his PS3.

The high scores on each of the single songs would be a better test I think.

LakeEarth

dyls said:
5-starring every song on career mode only totals about 10 million. Getting 300 million total from just Expert mode is a laugh.

Coop said:

Career Expert

Wii

1. 13,592,766
3. 13,412,641
5. 13,149,199

2. 13,748,190
3. 13,716,773
4. 13,691,810
My point exactly.

CTLance

Arde5643 said:
So top 360 GH3 players are super fags while top Wii GH3 players are 95% super fags?
Am I missing some GH3-specific vocabulary here?

Anyway, this thread is bad for me. END TURN.
6tl9qia.jpg

Thank god. See ya, suckers!

dejay

Banned
edwardslane said:

So many comments I could make...

game phan

dyls could you please do the same for each platform for rock band...
On page 6 of each platform, every single Wii score is over 100 million, only two 360 are over 100 million, and PS3 are in the 50 million range.
thanks in advance

Firewire

Banned
edwardslane said:

sad!

Top Bottom