• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Owners Not As Casual As GAF Thinks? (GH III related)

Slavik81

calder said:
whatdog.gif

How about non-wii owners who were playing games looong before any of the Famicom's came out? There's a whole generation of gamers who view Nintendo as the johnny-come-lately of videogaming. ;)
Videogaming's the johnny-come-lately of general gaming, which Nintendo has a long history with. They were just a little slow getting onto the electronic side of things.
Not that he's right (he was probably kidding anyways), but Nintendo's one of the oldest gaming companies around.

Arde5643

CTLance said:
Am I missing some GH3-specific vocabulary here?

Just following this from South Park:

81gva1l.gif

cashman

Banned
edwardslane said:
I would think nintendo fans are better gamers in general for sure.. WHY?

because we've been playing games for longer.. our coordination is there.. we grew up on the stuff.

Compared to some kids first console being an xbox360 or ps3.

alot of nintendo fans have been gamers a long time and playing games growing up alot of their best experiences have been on nintendo consoles... so they keep buying nintendo products

All my best gamer friends have nintendo systems. My friend with a ps2 only gets whooped at his own games by us~ likewise my roomates with their 360.

I'm not saying that all nintendo fans > fans of other consoles.. i just think that if you grew up playing NES etc and you're still a gamer today.. chances are you probably better than the average joe.

Because nobody ever switches around.

Wait, are people seriously getting offended over this? Geez, and I thought it was us Ninthings who couldn't take a joke. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The 360 is almost just as casual as the Wii, just a different type of casual (grandmas and soccer moms vs frat boys).

KINGMOKU

edwardslane said:

because we've been playing games for longer.. our coordination is there.. we grew up on the stuff.

alot of nintendo fans have been gamers a long time and playing games growing up alot of their best experiences have been on nintendo consoles... so they keep buying nintendo products

All my best gamer friends have nintendo systems. My friend with a ps2 only gets whooped at his own games by us~ likewise my roomates with their 360.

I'm not saying that all nintendo fans > fans of other consoles.. i just think that if you grew up playing NES etc and you're still a gamer today.. chances are you probably better than the average joe.
Thats becuase we buy Nintendo products, wich are the best on the planet.

No explanation really needed after that.

Dalauz

The same thing happens with Rayman 3. GC owners were far ahead in points.

http://raymanzone.uk.ubi.com/leaderboards_r3.php

GC

Rank Username Score Platform

1 nkraft 999999 G-CUBE

2 NielsK 835607 G-CUBE

3 Blockoman 798697 G-CUBE

4 littlebite 780491 G-CUBE

5 babyromuald 733876 G-CUBE

PS2

1 sfn42 805893 PS2

2 Mogios 560506 PS2

3 DarkScore 553739 PS2

4 encyclopedic 544167 PS2

5 !nico1232 540626 PS2

XBOX

1 MANDM1981 735907 XBOX

2 ProfStevie 585419 XBOX

3 rayofsummer 566322 XBOX

4 stupmachin 559917 XBOX

5 Tobbe777 547297 XBOX

Sandman42

The true Guitar Hero elite play at score hero. At score hero the best players play on 360, followed by PS2.

To compare the SH results from Wii and 360:

67/70 songs have been completed 100% full combo on 360.
59/70 songs have been completed 100% full combo on Wii.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Being "casual" or not has nothing to do with stupid shit like how good you are at playing games.

There's a lot more that goes into being a cas vs. being a hardcore. Show me a high score? Pffbt. Maybe one small part of the equation, but it won't win me over alone.

beef3483

edwardslane said:

I just want to say there is a lot of truth to this sentiment.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wait, Guitar Hero is now a hardcore game?

...Since WHEN?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
beef3483 said:
I just want to say there is a lot of truth to this sentiment.

I've been gaming since before Nintendo made their first arcade game, and I've given up on them.

Gigglepoo

ZealousD said:
The 360 is almost just as casual as the Wii, just a different type of casual (grandmas and soccer moms vs frat boys).

So you're essentially saying most gamers are casual? Huh... that's an entirely new idea that I have never heard expressed before.

Arde5643

dyls,

I salute you, sir.

Your supposedly innocent thread have obviously messed up a lot of people's perception of hardcore and casual terms.

Thanks for such a thread that we can get such mindfuck-blowin' posts here. :lol

dyls

Coop said:
Joke topic? Let's look at the scores that matter

Career Expert

Wii

1. 13,592,766
3. 13,412,641
5. 13,149,199

2. 13,748,190
3. 13,716,773
4. 13,691,810

Whoa, an actual useful post. This is more along the lines I expected, but I still wouldn't have guessed it would be so close.

So seriously, how the fuck do you get 300 million?? It just doesn't seem possible with the amount of modes available.

Arde5643 said:
dyls,

I salute you, sir.

Your supposedly innocent thread have obviously messed up a lot of people's perception of hardcore and casual terms.

Thanks for such a thread that we can get such mindfuck-blowin' posts here.

It really is pretty funny to see what craziness pops out of such an obviously silly topic. There are some people who just can't take any change to their comfortable status quo...or something.

beef3483

Gigglepoo said:
So you're essentially saying most gamers are casual? Huh... that's an entirely new idea that I have never heard expressed before.

Well, isn't the general consensus that most Playstation 1 and 2 owners were casual. (For instance, the general Madden fan).

I know there isn't one hundred and twenty million hardcore gamers. The only reason people care now is because casuals are buying Wiis instead of PS2s.

Gigglepoo

beef3483 said:
I know there isn't one hundred and twenty million hardcore gamers. The only reason people care now is because casuals are buying Wiis instead of PS2s.

The only reason people care now is because the Casual label now includes grandmas and soccer moms. There is a big difference between someone who only plays Madden and GTA and someone who only plays Wii Sports and Brain Training.

beef3483

Gigglepoo said:
The only reason people care now is because the Casual label now includes grandmas and soccer moms. There is a big difference between someone who only plays Madden and GTA and someone who only plays Wii Sports and Brain Training.

Well, boo-fucking-hoo.

It's one type of casual gamer for another. I guess people are too self-concious to have grandma join in thier new hobby.

I find it funny when people bitch about Wii Sports, while a game like Duck Hunt, almost universally lauded and also packed in with a Nintendo system, was much simpler.

It's funny too, because when I think of systems the Wii is most like, I harken back to the NES. Did the NES destroy gaming?

tokkun

dyls said:
Whoa, an actual useful post. This is more along the lines I expected, but I still wouldn't have guessed it would be so close.

So seriously, how the fuck do you get 300 million?? It just doesn't seem possible with the amount of modes available.eople who just can't take any change to their comfortable status quo...or something.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the score is cumulative across all bands on your saved game. So you could just start tons of bands and keep beating the game on Easy over and over. The total score is not a measure of how good you are at the game. If you have a bunch of roommates/family members and only one copy of the game, it's easy to get a really high score

Banned
AstroLad said:
Being "casual" or not has nothing to do with stupid shit like how good you are at playing games.

There's a lot more that goes into being a cas vs. being a hardcore. Show me a high score? Pffbt. Maybe one small part of the equation, but it won't win me over alone.
:lol

OMG defend the term hardcore from wii owners.

This is thread is a trainwreck.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I personally think that the best Guitar Hero players might have got the Wii version just because it added motion controllers and some other options. But then again, I would think the best Guitar Hero players would care about downloadable content. Maybe they own different versions of the game?

360 owners are more likely to have HDTVs and surround systems that add lag and mess you up. Wii owner = more likely to be playing on an old 19" Magnavox CRT = no lag.

the real question is: "which players are better at halo 3, wii owners or 360 owners?" that, right, 360 owners, because wii owners don't know what it's like to play a game better than every nintendo game ever made combined

JoeMartin

Drinky Crow said:
the real question is: "which players are better at halo 3, wii owners or 360 owners?" that, right, 360 owners, because wii owners don't know what it's like to play a game better than every nintendo game ever made combined

Wow. I mean, wow. I've never seen such a blatant attempt at trolling that will still ignite pages of controversy. It's so obvious, yet carries a subtle air of sincerity that causes one to reach for the "post reply" button. Well played.

caldazar

Drinky Crow said:

Presuming that the Wiimote controls were implemented well for the port, I would except Wii owners to wipe the floor, for the same reason that people who play UT3 with a sixaxis will get destroyed by someone playing with a mouse.

caldazar

Right. A game can appeal to casuals and still have enough depth or challenge for hardcore gamers; which is to say there can be games which are both casual games and hardcore games, e.g. Guitar Hero, Mario, GTA, Halo, Smash Bros

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Drinky Crow said:

Popeye: The Arcade Game > Halo 3

masud

Banned
DKnight said:
Every die-hard ninthing and its mother bought the Wii, and these are the most obsessive kind of gamer you'll find out there, SPECIALLY for rhythm games and such. No surprise at all to see this. And those people, who are obviously the ones you are seeing at the top of that ladder, are but a small percentage of the Wii userbase... Wii owners in general are casual gamers.
But you admit that us ninthings are better at video games than you, all while being more fit and beautiful? Anyway have fun with the system wars guys I'm going to play Mass Effect or Mario Galaxy or COD4 or...

edit: and dyls good job on the troll thread. Nice execution.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
TrueReligion said:
81gva1l.gif

please don't ban me
this is exactly what came to mind when i read this thread.

srlsy people, why are you arguing that the Wii is only for SUPER CASUALS! aside from the fact that those are retorical questions in the OP, how many "casuals" do you guys think it took to sell Madden, or GTA, or, dare i take it further, Halo 3? seriously people, those you scoff as "casuals" make up the life-blood of gaming. yes, even your precious 360 with it's massive software sales would not have it's numbers if it was core only.

stop deluding yourself people. arguing that ALL (or at least most of) of the Wii's fanbase is casual is as accurate as saying it for the other systems. it just depends on your definition of casual.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Holy cow, I can't beleive some of the retarded shit people are spewing out WITH STRAIGHT FACES in this thread. Unfuckingbeleivable.

Dahbomb

This thread is really fucking pathetic. Another -1 for the Nintendo "hardcore" fanbase, whatever is left of it.

Drinky Crow said:

beef3483 said:
I find it funny when people bitch about Wii Sports, while a game like Duck Hunt, almost universally lauded and also packed in with a Nintendo system, was much simpler.

It's funny too, because when I think of systems the Wii is most like, I harken back to the NES. Did the NES destroy gaming?

Duck hunt universally lauded? It was awful! And the NES zapper was an expensive white elephant, with approximately 0 decent games for those who'd wasted money on it.

from wikipedia
However, All Game Guide called the game an "attractive but repetitive target shooter" and "utterly mindless ... the game is fun for a short time, but gets old after a few rounds of play.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
edwardslane said:

this has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I've been gaming since I was 8 and I'm 27 now, but I'm no Nintendo only fan.

To the OP, the leaderboards mean jack. Even if they ARE Wii owners, who's to say they don't own all 3, but bought GH3 for the Wii? Possibilities are great aren't they?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:

Pfft. Hammer Bros. suit + Kuribo's Shoe combo > Halo 3.

(WHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!)

Boerseun

Banned
This casual/hardcore bullshit needs to stop. I own a Wii and it gets way more playtime than my 360, PS2 or Dreamcast. Just about the only thing kind of matching it at the moment is my Saturn (reliving the classics in time for Saturn emulation to hit the Wii
--- BELIEVE!!!
).

I don't intend on getting GH3 though, fake playing instruments just isn't my thing.

beef3483

Shpeshal Ed said:

this has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

I've been gaming since I was 8 and I'm 27 now, but I'm no Nintendo only fan.

Did you honestly think that when he wrote he meant it to apply to everyone?

You should be careful what you call dumb.

ksamedi

Drinky Crow said:

Weren't you the guy that thought Jericho was good and that Blue Dragon was a masterpiece?

Top Bottom