• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now buy PS4 controllers

Valnen

Has this been posted?

List of known PS3 compatible games:

PS1 Games
Call of Duty (MW2, MW3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2)
Castle Crashers
Portal 2
Far Cry 2
The Last of Us (HELL YES! But what about the flashlight?)
LittleBigPlanet/LittleBigPlanet 2
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Heavy Rain (no motion sensing)
Uncharted 1/2/3
Red Dead Redemption
Infamous + Infamous 2
Resistance 2 (had to use a DS3 to get past the start screen, but DS4 worked fine after that)
Killzone 3
Dead Space
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Motorstorm (Apocalypse, Pacific Rift)
Tomb Raider
Prototype
Skyrim
Dark Souls
Battlefield 3
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Final Fantasy XIV
Super Stardust HD
Diablo 3
Bioshock: Infinite
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD
Would be great if someone could test Demon's Souls and Tales of Xillia/Graces, but I'm assuming it will work fine for Demon's since Dark works fine.

I find it strange it doesn't work with GTA V.

lupinko

I went to my local ebgamestop after trying the ps4 at the Sony store asking about it. They weren't selling the DS4 and other accessories since apparently that stock is the only stock stores will have until Christmas time.

If I were to get a ps4 at launch I'd buy Knack. I was pleasantly surprised.

I got the Wii Classic Controller working in FFXIV by editing the FFXIV.cfg file. There's multiple instances of <GamePad Settings> followed by "Alias { a bunch of numbers }". On some japanese forum I found the magic key "Alias {&#19978;,&#19979;,&#24038;,&#21491;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#9651;,&#9711;,×,&#9633;,L1,L2,L3(&#12450;&#12490;&#12525;&#12464;&#25276;),R1,R2,R3(&#12450;&#12490;&#12525;&#12464;&#25276;),start,select}" And was able to swap around the numbers to match up with the controls I wanted and it worked fine after replacing the numbers under each instance of <Gamepad Settings>.

The "calibrate" button is supposed to do this but for some reason wasn't picking up the Wii Classic Controller's dpad.

Any chance you're able to find that original link? I see what you're talking about but don't know which numbers correspond to what

Calibus

Been trying to find one for the past two days with no luck. They must not have made it to Appalachia yet. Checked Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and GameStop (/spit).

Dereck

Checked two days ago, no one had them. Checked today, like 6 gamestops have them.

iKipa43ZwWOIr.gif

Why is SONY selling PS4 controllers early?

Eusis

Tempted to get it but it kinda feels wrong without the full PS4 package.
Don't care about that if I can actually use it ahead of time, but I do care bout the fact I'd have two redundant (color-wise) controllers rather than one of each. Then again, we have no idea how much further past launch we'd have to wait on blue and red...
There's really no point embargo'ing the accessories like the main hardware, plus intentional or not this can be something of a promotional angle that people get to take the controller and use it on PS3/PC in their homes and spread word about how good the controller is, likely pushing some people who were thinking of the XB1 just because of a 360 controller preference.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nearest Gamestop sold out of the Dual Shock 4 and the camera.

I went to my local ebgamestop after trying the ps4 at the Sony store asking about it. They weren't selling the DS4 and other accessories since apparently that stock is the only stock stores will have until Christmas time.

If I were to get a ps4 at launch I'd buy Knack. I was pleasantly surprised.

iF8eLTubnakGx.png

Dereck

There's really no point embargo'ing the accessories like the main hardware, plus intentional or not this can be something of a promotional angle that people get to take the controller and use it on PS3/PC in their homes and spread word about how good the controller is, likely pushing some people who were thinking of the XB1 just because of a 360 controller preference.
i31kODpJm0uEt.gif

I got the Wii Classic Controller working in FFXIV by editing the FFXIV.cfg file. There's multiple instances of <GamePad Settings> followed by "Alias { a bunch of numbers }". On some japanese forum I found the magic key "Alias {&#19978;,&#19979;,&#24038;,&#21491;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#65311;,&#9651;,&#9711;,×,&#9633;,L1,L2,L3(&#12450;&#12490;&#12525;&#12464;&#25276;),R1,R2,R3(&#12450;&#12490;&#12525;&#12464;&#25276;),start,select}" And was able to swap around the numbers to match up with the controls I wanted and it worked fine after replacing the numbers under each instance of <Gamepad Settings>.

The "calibrate" button is supposed to do this but for some reason wasn't picking up the Wii Classic Controller's dpad.

It took me some time but once I understood to edit the numbers starting with 90 and using your key it ended up working!! AWESOME Thank you!

ZetaEpyon

It took me some time but once I understood to edit the numbers starting with 90 and using your key it ended up working!! AWESOME Thank you!

Could you post the settings?

Edit: Got it, this is what worked for me:
Code:
Alias	{90,91,88,89,41,40,32,33,73,72,48,49,3,2,1,0,4,6,10,5,7,11,9,8}

anddo0

I went to two Gamestops.. One had no clue, despite me showing him pictures. The other refused to sell them. Best Buy also refused to sell it. Oh well..

Picked one up today at Gamestop (they had it on display behind the counter). They thought I was nuts when I asked to buy it but sold it to me.

Made some comparison shoots with the 360 pad:

jST09jy.jpg

m6PdT9A.jpg

HdOiqEN.jpg

BhV4dw6.jpg

vLiHfdP.jpg

hRcluKV.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Larger than the 360 pad in width, but the sticks are still in a bad spot. :/

I'm waiting for an official "shootan game pro" controller, Sony. That makes it the 360 pad.

I'm waiting for an official "shootan game pro" controller, Sony. That makes it the 360 pad.

Everything I can tell from my short time with it feels like the embodiment of the perfect version of a PS controller. Reminds me of the heft and size of the Dual Analog or DS 1 from the PS1. Grips feel really good. I can see why first impressions are so glowing now. It had far way to come for me as someone who prefers 360 pad over DS's but man if they didn't get there.

The story here is less about tearing down the xbox layout and more about making the DS layout perfect imo.

dreamfall

Just picked mine up today!

It feels soooo good. Love the triggers, and the space between the analog sticks. It feels different/sleeker- I am hyped!

Picked one up today at Gamestop (they had it on display behind the counter). They thought I was nuts when I asked to buy it but sold it to me.

jST09jy.jpg

m6PdT9A.jpg

HdOiqEN.jpg

BhV4dw6.jpg

vLiHfdP.jpg

hRcluKV.jpg

These are literally the perfect pics for comparison. I am super confident now that I'll be satisfied come launch

Having trouble getting the DS4 to work on my PS3

I have it plugged in and it seems to be behaving irratically

Can barely navigate XMB with it

is there any other steps required?

If I get into a game with the DS3 can I use the DS4?

I know it's only some games but I thought it'd work in the XMB ok

wwm0nkey

Ive been using an Xbox controller for the past 8 years, PS3's problem wasn't the stick placement, it was the controller. DS4 is amazing.

xelloss12

No there isn't. Your cable might be bad, try another one if you have a spare.

Duxxy3

It's probably your cable.

Can you explain to me why having the "runstick" in a slightly higher position makes it better for shooter? I never understood this.

That battery looks like it's removable, was the ps3 battery hooked in the same way?

By removable I mean unpluging after taking the controller apart, it's not welded on or anything.

Checked two days ago, no one had them. Checked today, like 6 gamestops have them.

iKipa43ZwWOIr.gif

It's a good way to start the hype train IMO, also why not, early money for a good controller.

wizzbang

Banned

So ummmmm wow, I had no idea it was THAT close to the 360 controller. I mean I knew it was similar but good lord is that similar, like really fucking similar.

Hope it's good! Want one so bad, none in Australia yet.

wizzbang

Banned
Can you explain to me why having the "runstick" in a slightly higher position makes it better for shooter? I never understood this.

The longer the sticks the finer the control - imagine a joystick - that's really all they are - a micro joystick. You've got less leverage the closer you are to the central point / axis of the joint for movement.

That's why these things genuinely help with racing games (no seriously!)
sf_apex_profile_xbox_1.jpg

I swear I read that Sony too had moved from 2 to 4 rumble motors - it's just that motors 3/4 weren't attached to the trigger like Microsoft?

There's been several claims the rumble is improved in the PS4 - like gameroom you can feel the little fellas moving directionally.
That seems to show only 2 motors?

Mr.Fresh

They need to hurry and release the Blue DS4 in NA. I always buy the blue Dualshocks when they launch it's been tradition since PS2.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

iKipa43ZwWOIr.gif

LOL at that GIF.

And it's good for them to sell these because a lot of people want to try and it and just want a piece of next gen early.

It's also good pub for Sony. If I had the money I would walk in and buy one but I can't be doing any of that right now.

majorscud

I still can't find these things in central Florida. I've heard numerous stores saying DS4 restocks won't happen until after x-mas. If you miss the first shipment, your out of luck. All of my Gamestops in the area say that the computer shows them en-route, but they've said that for a couple of days now.

Top Bottom