• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

I-hate-u

I honestly see this a gain for MS and downfall for both Respawn and EA. Early 2014 will be predominately about Destiny and TitanFall with the former being on way more systems; I feel Destiny will have a stronger market penetration.

Ricorich196

Neo Member
"Recently" /Dr. Evil

This is definitely something that's hashed out in the beginning of the deal making between Respawn and EA, this is not something EA just sent them an email about over the weekend.

baphomet

Feel bad for them on the massive amount of lost sales for this first game. I wouldnt be surprised to see an updated version of the first game come to PS4 in the near future.

I think they're targeting the COD market, and COD may as well be an online only shooter.

Yeah, I'm sure that is the hope... but I'll be surprised if it can break into that crowd... Even if it does they'll buy the 360 version play for a week or two then go back to CoD.It won't get the Gears, and Halo crowd, and won't be a Xbone seller.

What will be interesting is if they delay or cancel the PC, and 360 versions... MS has done that in the past as well.

Akainu

Wait what? Witcher is PC exclusive.... How does that factor in with MS and Sony?

Edit: The Witcher as in the first game.

I mean the series in general. None of them were on platforms I owned and now that the 3rd game is coming to the ps4 I have no interest in buying it.

I don't get it. They only found out recently that the first titanfall is a ms exclusive? Is that right? This whole thing seems weird?

Before this they expected it to be a timed exclusive for what? A month? A year?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Fuck'em, I won't support their games if they ever come to PS4. They made their bed with Microsoft, enjoy your money(hatting).

Meier

Pachter had postulated that MS paid $50m before which I always said was very, very cheap frankly. I bet they had to double or triple the money hat to keep it exclusive.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
See you when Battlefield 5 comes out.

I can do without BF, honestly. I only had a mild interest in the series, and Shadow Fall looks far more impressive for launch.

Again, doubt I'll be missing much.

When was the last GOOD EA game?

Dragon Age Origins?

Yeah, it's been a while. They are probably the worst "major" publisher in terms of quality and output. Only real title I'm looking forward to from them is Mirror's Edge 2.

diamount

Banned
Kingdoms of Amalur and Alice Madness Return are EA partner games and they are on Steam.

I guess if it's a EA partner game there is a possibility.

KOA was self-published by them on Steam. Also Alice seems to be before their real push with EA getting people to adopt to Origin with BF3.

Hyunashi

Fuck'em, I won't support their games if they ever come to PS4. They made their bed with Microsoft, enjoy your money(hatting).

Cant really blame Respawn, its all on EA it seems.

At the end of the day they lose out on potential sales on the PS4 and now that people know only the first Titanfall is exclusive all they need to do is wait. If anything, Bungie gains alot out of this information (people will potentially decide to play Destiny while waiting on Titanfall2).

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Honestly hope it bombs. And then I shall laugh.

why? for making a console exclusive?

the logic and fanboyism in this thread is mindblowing.

They made an exclusive game...you guys are just pissed because you thought you were going to get it on ps4....like this is the first exclusive game ever..

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Dat salt...lol

I can't stand third party exclusive deals, whether it's DLC, Timed DLC or exclusive games. It fucking irks me and only goes to prove how fucking pathetic Microsoft is at developing it's own titles/first parties that it needs to money hat third parties just to have something appealing.

Penryn

Banned
Pachter had postulated that MS paid $50m before which I always said was very, very cheap frankly. I bet they had to double or triple the money hat to keep it exclusive.

They would have to cover at the very least whatever lost profit estimate PS4 sale would have been.

why? for making a console exclusive?

the logic and fanboyism in this thread is mindblowing.

They made an exclusive game...you guys are just pissed because you thought you were going to get it on ps4....like this is the first exclusive game ever..

Shades of grey, not black and white. They made a timed exclusive and had it turned into a complete exclusive after the fact by the publisher. Nuances make a difference in how things are perceived. Even if the bottom line is the same regardless.

BF4 PS4 pre-order cancelled.

Going to boycott EA games from now on. Don't think I'll be missing out on much given their quality as of late.
Woah, lets not go crazy!

First you boycott Origin. Some decent EA games still on Steam. This way, if EA continues to piss ya off, you have a second boycott card to pull out.

Can't they just self publish? Of all the developers out there, you'd think they would have enough clout to do this without the help of companies like EA and Activision.

Penryn

Banned
Shades of grey, not black and white. They made a timed exclusive and had it turned into a complete exclusive after the fact by the publisher. Nuances make a difference in how things are perceived. Even if the bottom line is the same regardless.

I believe time exclusivity was never officially confirmed.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Cant really blame Respawn, its all on EA it seems.

At the end of the day they lose out on potential sales on the PS4 and now that people know only the first Titanfall is exclusive all they need to do is wait. If anything, Bungie gains alot out of this information (people will potentially decide to play Destiny while waiting on Titanfall2).

Yeah, I feel bad for Respawn. It's not their fault, they probably wanted to support as many platforms as possible. They should have made their terms more strict like Bungie -- basically guaranteeing multiplatform releases.

As a result, I think Titanfall isn't going to be as big as EA wants. They're really shitting the bed here, and I hope the moneybags from Microsoft were massive for their sake.

But they're making a bad business decision; going after short term profits when trying to establish a new IP which could hurt the franchise momentum, especially against a title releasing around the same time that IS multiplatform and will now get a ton of attention - Destiny. The popularity of that game will eclipse Titanfall, and it could be the next big thing rather than Respawn's game.

L3G3ND6

Neo Member
Respawn aren't to blame, it's EA.

The thing is though, recently EA were saying they had a great partnership with sony and that they have some stuff that hasn't been spoken about yet that will be out in the coming months.

What a way to show a great partnership, by giving them the middle finger. Also since EA are all about the money, with the 360 version likely to suck (outsourced) and only the Xbone and PC remaining their only decent install base will be the PC.

A lot of people are going for a PS4 compared to the Xbone and also MS has already got call of duty as the shooter everybody recognizes for that platform, bit of a weird marketing strategy that is.

Gutted this won't be on PS4, I will be getting for PC and will get the sequel for PS4.

Grief.exe

Pretty much confirms Titanfall will never come to Steam then. Shame.

And how did you arrive at that conclusion?

EA has publishing rights, but Respawn can still self publish due to the EA Partners agreement.

Steam version has always been a possibility.

BF4 PS4 pre-order cancelled.

Going to boycott EA games from now on. Don't think I'll be missing out on much given their quality as of late.

Of all the reasons to not buy a game, spite is the worst.

And the game is out on three different platforms too. It's not like making a decision between ps4 and x1

Top Bottom