• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Gameplay - Lotus F1 at Yas Marina

Addnan

That sounds worse than Codemasters attempts at engine sound. Random DRS opening at 1:30 when going round a corner. Ok..

Foshy

I agree with what was already said here, the Lotus sounds pretty terrible.

And KERS and DRS aren't in, I assume?

Yeah, I don't think F1 cars buck forward quite that much on the up shift. They are bit more seamless than that. Just seems the transmission in general isn't very F1 like. Terrible up and down shifts.

This is the first time Forza has done open wheel or F1 right? I guess that would explain it.

Addnan

Assuming this isn't a race lap, it's perfectly kosher. Whether or not it's practical in a realistic simulation.

No. 2013 rules say you can only use DRS in DRS zones no matter what session it is. Either way you wouldn't be using it going around a corner unless you for some reason don't want downforce when cornering. I'm assuming this game just lets you use it whenever you want and the person playing doesn't know how it works. That's all.

No. 2013 rules say you can only use DRS in DRS zones no matter what session it is. Either way you wouldn't be using it going around a corner unless you for some reason don't want downforce when cornering. I'm assuming this game just lets you use it whenever you want and the person playing doesn't know how it works. That's all.

It probably works the same way active aero works on other cars like the Veyron. Down when going fast, and up when you slow down.

EDIT: The interior sounds got worse as well. The other cars and the chase cam sounds amazing, but it's like the dumbed down the interior car sounds even though the LMP doesn't offer much in terms of audio dampening.

Some of the sound from the car was a bit robotic, might be bad recording.

The gear changing in the cockpit view, the hand animation was unable to keep up with the fast gear changes and skipped one while another was out of sync, sloppy.

Also no driver moves their hand off the wheel to paddle shift.

Chumpion

It must not be easy to model the sophisticated suspension of a modern F1 car. Not to mention that different teams use different suspension systems.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I might get the game after all, just for this. Awesome.

Too bad the steering wheel situation is so shitty on next-gen.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, those shifting animations...guess I understand the Comic Mischief warning at the beginning. :p

Does anyone at T10 actually watch F1?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I love the 1080p60 mention at the beginning, and then back to reality with youtube quality where you can't even see the road details at all.

Dibbz

Yas Marina, the only F1 track that is raced on at Sunset to Night.
Pick it for Forza 5 that can only have one set time of day per track

Dat Turn 10 logic.

JammyMunkey

Neo Member
It probably works the same way active aero works on other cars like the Veyron. Down when going fast, and up when you slow down.

The Drag Reduction System flap is down normally then flips up to stall the rear of the car to go faster in a straight line to aid overtaking, its driver controllable on 1 or 2 points on the track (turn 15 not being one of them, although it is just a kink really and I think Red Bulls where going through there with DRS open last year in practice).

If the shifting gear animation is that over the top, imagine what's gonna happen if you could change the brake balance!

I've made a comparison to make it easier for developers to get it right.

Real life on the left. Forza 5 on the right.

Mo7Wq0O.gif

The Drag Reduction System flap is down normally then flips up to stall the rear of the car to go faster in a straight line to aid overtaking, its driver controllable on 1 or 2 points on the track (turn 15 not being one of them, although it is just a kink really and I think Red Bulls where going through there with DRS open last year in practice).

If the shifting gear animation is that over the top, imagine what's gonna happen if you could change the brake balance!

Technically you're right, I meant the same thing though. I mean "up" as in the spoiler is "pointing" up, as to cause the downforce. You were looking at up in the more correct sense, where the flap actually MOVES up with the actuator. Sorry for the confusion!

Mascot

Glad to see I'm not imagining the jazz hands in the F1 cockpit view.

I'm not quite sure how such an inappropriate animation made it into the game.

The up-shift animation. No. Who authorised this? Why would you do that?

The heavy modulation in the downshift audio in braking zones. Again....no.....sounds like playing my guitar with a ring modulator effect pedal turned on.

I guess although the F1 car is a 2013 model, the DRS can still be used everywhere ala 2011 because all they licensed was the car, not the championship.

Mascot

The Audi/Le Mans shifting animations are orders of magnitude better than in the F1 car, but the driver is still lifting his hand off the wheel to shift. Looks very odd indeed.

Tulerian

Just watched the Audi at Le Mans footage, and it looks worse than before?

What's with the blocky low res road textures and shadows? Is it something just caused by the video, or is it like that in game?

With the hideous aliasing at points as well I'm just not getting it at this point. Need to see the final build direct feed, as I can't see what people are seeing in this game at the moment.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No realtime camera change, cut in post.
Looks empty, carton like and is a overall bad video. Dat forced/bad looking shifting animation/hand movement (Lotus F1 Video).

i sound like a troll.

What's with the blocky low res road textures and shadows? Is it something just caused by the video, or is it like that in game?

With the hideous aliasing at points as well I'm just not getting it at this point. Need to see the final build direct feed, as I can't see what people are seeing in this game at the moment.

All of these next gen games are going to look significantly better on your TV than they do in an online video. The compression of online videos makes things look much worse.

Blimblim

The Inside Track

This is a capture from that video:
f5youtube.png

Do you really think the road actually looks like this in game?
Racing games are the worst games possible to encode videos from. Except for the interface, the car (depending on the view) and the sky (depending on the track and stuff) every single pixel from one frame to another changes in a non trivial way, making it very very hard to compress efficiently. So there is no way youtube can make it look every remontely close to what it will really look like.
I'm not trying to defend F5 here, I don't really care about sims one way or another, but these videos disgust me.

Tulerian

Racing games are the worst games possible to encode videos from. Except for the interface, the car (depending on the view) and the sky (depending on the track and stuff) every single pixel from one frame to another changes in a non trivial way, making it very very hard to compress efficiently. So there is no way youtube can make it look every remontely close to what it will really look like.
I'm not trying to defend F5 here, I don't really care about sims one way or another, but these videos disgust me.

That's why I asked as I couldn't see why people were so impressed with it. So it's just the compression then and we need better quality feeds.

The up-shift animation. No. Who authorised this? Why would you do that?

The heavy modulation in the downshift audio in braking zones. Again....no.....sounds like playing my guitar with a ring modulator effect pedal turned on.

I guess although the F1 car is a 2013 model, the DRS can still be used everywhere ala 2011 because all they licensed was the car, not the championship.
Using it on a corner is not a wise choice though, you'll go spinning with ease.

It also has traction control which F1 cars do not have any more.

Using it on a corner is not a wise choice though, you'll go spinning with ease.

It also has traction control which F1 cars do not have any more.

Depends on the corner though. In 2011 the cars would use DRS any place the car would give them enough grip to do so.

Flo_Evans

f5youtube.png

Its kind of mind boggling. Game companies want us to download digital 50GB games but can't host their vids somewhere that offers over 3000kbps video rate?

Sendou

You guys leave Turn 10 Studios alone. They know what they're doing. You dont have to remind them every second.

Top Bottom