• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine - Jan 184 (Christmas Edition)

DC R1D3R

Banned
Cover
StreetFighter 4
P1010272.jpg

P1010276.jpg

P1010278.jpg

Hype
Burnout Paradise
Ghostbusters
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Pain
Dark Sector
Farrari Challenge

Review Scores

UT3 - 8
Rock Band - 9
Blacksite Area 51 - 4
Battalion Wars - 5
FFXII (RW) - 6
Resident Evil UC - 7
Time Crisis 4 - 5
Ghost Squad - 6
Contra 4 - 6
Front Mission - 6
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - 6
Mario+Sonic - 6
Endless Ocean - 7

The Edge Awards 2007

Best Game
SMG
Runners-Up
The Orange Box
Halo 3

Best Innovation
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Crysis
Portal

Best Visual Design
Bioshock
Runners-Up
Team Fortress 2
SMG

Best Audio Design
SMG
Runners-Up
Halo 3
Colin MCrae: Dirt

Best Online Experience
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Forza 2
Wii Channels

Best Hardware
Rock Band
Runners-Up
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Wii

Best Developer
Valve
Runners-Up
Bungie
Nintendo

Best Publisher
Nintendo
Runners-Up
Microsoft
EA

YYZ

Hype for Pain or is it just a standard name for their section? That game doesn't deserve hype for $10 (I own it).

Resident Evil UC - 7 Higher than expected
Time Crisis 4 - 5 Higher than expected

Contra 4 - 6 WRONG

pilonv1

YYZ said:
Hype for Pain or is it just a standard name for their section? That game doesn't deserve hype for $10 (I own it).

Contra 4 - 6 WRONG

Good think you already established you don't read the magazine or someone might take your opinion seriously.

YYZ

GhaleonEB said:
Hype is the name of their previews section.
ok. I should start reading my Edge magazines, d'oh.

I expect Pain to get a 4, knowing Edge. Less microrape, more value please.

pilonv1 said:
Good think you already established you don't read the magazine or someone might take your opinion seriously.
6 too high? I have played it extensively, but I guess I should trust Edge more?

Zee_truly evil said:
so both RE:UC and Ghost squad are better than TC4??
You realize that the "so basically, X is better than X" and all of it's variations have been TEH BANNED, right?

Anyway, I expected EDGE to give FFXII RW a lower score than that.

Not a bad score for unreal, hopefully my resub kicked in and i will get this issue. Wasnt these scores already posted or did i dream that.

supermackem said:
Not a bad score for unreal, hopefully my resub kicked in and i will get this issue. Wasnt these scores already posted or did i dream that.

well i knew it was banned but it didn't occur to me while typing that,iit was an honest mistake. =(

DC R1D3R said:
FFXII (RW) - 6
Ghost Squad - 6
Contra 4 - 6
Front Mission - 6
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - 6
Mario+Sonic - 6

Can I do this? Can I make this quote and compare these scores? Is that bannable? I really don't know. My head hurts. My head hurts more even thinking about these. The sheer difference in terms of effort and quality of production between these titles makes my mind boggle. I don't want to be banned but my head hurts so much.

Can we get some hints on what was said about Contra 4, at least? Please?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Zee_truly evil said:
i was serious honest,
is this ban worthy???wow stupid mistake if yes

You should be fine, the ban is for stupid posts like comparing games of with no relation. Don't let back seat modding get to you

grandjedi6 said:
Don't let back seat modding get to you
Hey man, in my defense, I'm the last person to back-seat mod as I do dumb shit that should get me banned all the time. :(

But I digress; will someone PLEASE justify that abomination of a score on Contra 4?!

EDIT: to clarify:
I AM JOHN! said:
Yes, calling it an abomination is harsh and hyperbolic, but when DON'T I use hyperbole and take everything to unrealistic extremes (especially when I'm tired and cranky)? :(

Tristam

I agree with all of the awards except Halo 3 as best innovation (surely Portal should have gotten the nod). It qualifies as a best something (perhaps best features or best value, but I can't be sure if they're trying to divide the Orange Box into its components or not), but not best innovation.

Zzoram

Greatness Gone said:
:lol :lol :lol

I think they consider FPS replays on console + Forge to be bigger than Portal. While I don't agree, I can see why they chose it, as Halo 3's new features will have a bigger ripple effect on the industry than Portal.

Tristam

Kyoufu said:
:lol :lol

Aside from GOTY award, the rest are a joke.

Really? Best visual and audio design seem fair enough to me. I'm surprised Uncharted wasn't included in the runners-up for visual design (and likewise surprised BioShock wasn't a runner-up for best audio design), but the winners seem fair enough.

YYZ

I AM JOHN! said:
But I digress; will someone PLEASE justify that abomination of a score on Contra 4?!
I dunno, apparently you need to be a regular and thorough EDGE reader to disagree.

If I were to judge this game from a reviewer's perspective:

Good
-Incredibly rewarding and fun once you adapt to this style of play.
-Good unlockables and challenges.
-Well-designed and executed 2D old school shooter on a platform like the DS.

Bad
-There is such a thing as "unfair" game design.
-Incredibly frustrating and archaic formula, does nothing new.
-Hard to play this type of game on two screens in some parts of the game (projectiles coming from above).
-Tries too hard to be hardcore and tough on the player (harkens back to the NES days where you have to start from the beginning after your "continues" are gone).

Those would be the main complaints and praises.

pilonv1 said:
The fact 6 isn't a bad score in this magazine?
I know that 6 is a good score in Edge, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Call me crazy, but the value and sheer fun of the game outweighs any complaints about the game proper in my mind. The only complaints I can possibly think of them having is that it's either too hard or that it's just Contra, both of which would be fucking ridiculous.

Yes, calling it an abomination is harsh and hyperbolic, but when DON'T I use hyperbole and take everything to unrealistic extremes (especially when I'm tired and cranky)? :(

pilonv1

I AM JOHN! said:
I know that 6 is a good score in Edge, but this just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe you should wait and read their reasoning instead of crying over a number with meaning?

YYZ

Tristam said:
Really? Best visual and audio design seem fair enough to me. I'm surprised Uncharted wasn't included in the runners-up for visual design (and likewise surprised BioShock wasn't a runner-up for best audio design), but the winners seem fair enough.
Uncharted has amazing graphics, but I think visual design is art direction. Nothing jumps out from Uncharted besides how technically good it looks. I think Uncharted deserves some kind of audio award (not sure about audio design), again it's more of a technical achievement.

Ashhong

Best Online Experience
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Forza 2
Wii Channels

wtf??? wheres warhawk :(

those covers seriously kick EGM's asses. sorry mangod.

DC R1D3R said:
Cover

The Edge Awards 2007

Best Game The right choice, but how can The Orange Box be counted as a single game here and then Portal gets nominated in Best Innovation separately?
SMG
Runners-Up
The Orange Box
Halo 3

Best Innovation Halo 3, more innovative than Portal? Sorry but no and what is so innovative about Crysis? SMG doesn't even get a nomination! (Portal should've won this BTW)
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Crysis
Portal

Best Visual Design Agreed, no problems here!
Bioshock
Runners-Up
Team Fortress 2
SMG

Best Audio Design Agreed again
SMG
Runners-Up
Halo 3
Colin MCrae: Dirt

Best Online Experience Yep, no problems here!
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Forza 2
Wii Channels

Best Hardware Why was the DS nominated again?
Rock Band
Runners-Up
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Wii

Best Hardware Since when did Valve and Bungie (Halo 3 360?) make hardware?!
Valve
Runners-Up
Bungie
Nintendo

Best Publisher Agreed!
Nintendo
Runners-Up
Microsoft
EA

Not bad for a GOTY list!

Yoboman said:
Best Online Experience
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Forza 2
Wii Channels

What

What's wrong with that? The Wii Channels are an innovative way of approaching online experiences and for many people more casual than most here, they'd get more enjoyment out of them than with XBL!

Remember, it's about what happened this year! the 360 and the PS3's online networks haven't had anything particularly new worthy of note released! (Vid marketplace only just launched a week ago here in the UK!)

Sectus

DC R1D3R said:
Best Innovation
Halo 3
Runners-Up
Crysis
Portal
That's just wrong. How the heck is Halo 3 innovative? Because they "invented" the exact same gameplay which was used back in 2001 with Halo 1? Because they added a level editor which is more limited than any other level editor you can think of? Because they added a replay feature which was normal for FPS games in the 90's? Because they added 4 player online coop which Swat 4, R6: Vegas and other games already had? I'm just not getting this...

Tristam

Nuclear Muffin said:
What's wrong with that? The Wii Channels are an innovative way of approaching online experiences and for many people more casual than most here, they'd get more enjoyment out of them than with XBL!

Remember, it's about what happened this year! the 360 and the PS3's online networks haven't had anything particularly new worthy of note released! (Vid marketplace only just launched a week ago here in the UK!)

? I can't think of anything innovative about any channel. Most are poorly implemented for one reason or another.

Ashhong said:
those covers seriously kick EGM's asses. sorry mangod.
Edge kicks EGM's ass in almost every aspect (including insanity).

<mini-rant>
Why the hell did Ziff get rid of their wholesale-rip-off-of-Edge magazine again (OPM)? Despite the fact that I never owned a Sony system during the magazine's run, it was always incredibly well-written, beautifully designed, felt substantial, well put-together, and well planned, and was always a great read. Instead of incorporating more of OPM's design aspect into their flagship magazine, why did they just let it die when Sony pulled the plug? What the fuck, Game Group?
</mini-rant>

Top Bottom