• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-dead-rising-3

Our captures show the game upscaled to 1080p by the Xbox One - with results that are expectedly unkind to thin objects and flickering alpha elements like trees or fence-work. It's a bit of a disappointment in this sense, and continues to dangle a question mark over the capabilities of the console's hotly contested specs when it comes to titles striving for full HD

Accepting that some compromises go with the territory of developing a launch title, the question remains: has this technical trade-off been well-judged? Certainly, the zombie horde looks impressive in its increased numbers, and the boost here means the game's core appeal - the flourishes of fantastical violence - are ratcheted up another notch. The pop-in has also thankfully been reduced since the game's E3 appearance, though textures still visibly stream in after covering ground too quickly in vehicles. Object pop-in is mitigated through the use of a somewhat curious non-alpha fade-in technique, a visual quirk that has the polygonal structure of items like cones and fences fill out as our protagonist Nick Ramos walks forward. This gives a fizzling effect to weapons and vehicles too as they're summoned into the game world via the crafting system.

With all its rough edges, Dead Rising 3's intended impact as a next-gen title is clearly dulled, but there's enough here to show early Xbox One adopters a side of the zombie-slaying experience that couldn't be achieved on current-gen hardware. The zombie count and overall world size are impressive - amplified to a previously unheard volume where interplay with vehicles ties in appropriately with this shift in scale. However, the fact remains that the game's original brief as an Xbox 360 title is still very much felt in other areas; the pared-back alpha, texture streaming issues and jagged 720p presentation giving the impression that the series' potential is still somehow being bounded.

It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city. Compared to the shaky E3 build seen just months ago this is still a respectable step forward, and of course many of the game's technical shortcomings come with the unique circumstances of meeting a hardware launch. All this amounts to an intriguing first attempt, then, but needless to say we're eager to see how Capcom Vancouver follows up on its sandbox survival-horror formula when it's given more breathing room with the deadline, more experience with the hardware, and factoring in the next-gen platform's strengths from the very start.

lock if old..

(lol I tried to highlight stuff... TOO much stuff to highlight.. lol)

Sethos

Banned
QF0MfyB.jpg

"It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city."

Well, there we go.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
'Consistent and sustained' drops to 20fps when outdoors? 16fps at times?

Maybe they should have delayed and polished.

Bundy

Banned
It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city.
Ugh, for a (native) 720p game on a "next-gen" console..... this is horrible :-/

It's what I expected from console version of Dead Rising. The sheer amount of enemies on screen would put a strain on any of the two consoles.

yep pretty much in line with my impressiong from playing it. not a looker.

but EASILY the most fun game i played out of the new consoles. the giantbomb mini quicklook sold me on it.

nib95

Banned
Ok, subpar visuals aside, the frame rate is AWFUL. As in, an average of like 22-24fps much less 30fps. In-fact, it's barely ever actually 30fps, and looks to sit closer to the low 20's during action. Sometimes dropping to 20fps and on rare occasion even lower....

madmackem

"It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city."

Well, there we go.

Yeah wtf, i could give it 720p as long as the framerate was as advertised locked 30fps but this is terrible news.

Guess this article means that the embargo is in fact today and we should see reviews and things go up? At the same time it's mentioned that they saw this at a "London Event" so it might not be the final release? And if it's not why are they treating the title as if it is?

Suppose it's similar to past Dead Rising titles but with the effects, zombie count, etc all turned to 11. Still a shame, had hoped the framerate would be a steady 30 given the resolution(and hopefully as mentioned above this isn't retail)

derFeef

Ok, subpar visuals aside, the frame rate is AWFUL. As in, an average of like 22-24fps much less 30fps. In-fact, it's barely ever actually 30fps, and looks to sit closer to the low 20's during action. Sometimes dropping to 20fps and on rare occasion even lower....

Yeah. You just repeated the article, well done ;)

nOoblet16

This game honestly looks last gen, as far as the number of zombies on screen is concerned, it barely looks any higher than Dead Rising 2.

DJwest

It's what I expected from console version of Dead Rising. The sheer amount of enemies on screen would put a strain on any of the two consoles consoles.
720p @ 20fps is what you expect from the next gen consoles? Isn't it exactly what we went through with the PS3 and 360? Come on man, we deserve better in late 2013.

TBH that while disappointing it's not unexpected given their history. The original Dead Rising on 360 was a far cry from DR2 and DR2:OTR. A FAR cry. So while I'm disappointed in this news I'll look forward to DR4 and hopefully it will be leaps and bounds over DR3 the way the last two installments were over DR.

Is this the final version they've had access to? I played it on the Xbox One Tour and didn't notice any frame rate drops... :/

720p @ 20fps is what you expect from the next gen consoles? Isn't it exactly what we went through with the PS3 and 360? Come on man, we deserve better in late 2013.

I'm talking about Dead Rising, not every next-gen title. Realistically their is no way they'll be able to push 60 frames on this game at HD resolutions, at least not on the Xbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom