• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves on PS5 reveals Microsoft's Trojan Horse to turn millions of PS5 users into Xbox users

freefornow

Gold Member
We are all Xbox :messenger_heart:

OIG3.zEBdl.0RqoiN4UmKSGp4
Thats a form factor I like!
AI redeemed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I gotta imagine a high MAU is the sign of a healthy environment. More MAU, more people spending money in the eco-system.

When people are buying or spending money on anything in Sea of Thieves, whether it's the game itself or any MTX / DLC content, it's more money feeding into the Xbox eco-system for MS.

Sure. But then what really matters is that money right? Which, obviously it is. That's why they're doing it. But then why is it this big important thing that they're supposedly counting PS5 players as Xbox MAU? Why does THAT matter?

Unknown?

Incorrect statement. @rodrigolfp is right.

From Microsoft.....

"You’ll need a Microsoft account to create an Xbox account. A Microsoft account is not the same thing as an Xbox account, although you can use the same email address for both."

Creating an Xbox account is a step after creating a Microsoft account. PlayStation only requires a Microsoft account for Sea of Thieves.

/thread Interesting, the OP didn't address this.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
so this further confirms gears of war, hellblade 2 and halo is coming to ps5 in the near future.
Microsoft gets a huge amount of "xbox" user base, ps5 users can play these games, both a win win situation here.

Last edited:

BlackTron

so this further confirms gears of war, hellblade 2 and halo is coming to ps5 in the near future.
Microsoft gets a huge amount of "xbox" user base, ps5 users can play these games, both a win win situation here.

I would freak if PS4 retroactively got Halo for all the extra game clients I would suddenly have overnight lol. I mean if it's a Xbox One game it's not out of the question but yeah not holding my breath.

King Dazzar

From Microsoft.....

"You’ll need a Microsoft account to create an Xbox account. A Microsoft account is not the same thing as an Xbox account, although you can use the same email address for both."

Creating an Xbox account is a step after creating a Microsoft account. PlayStation only requires a Microsoft account for Sea of Thieves.

And so the beasty was slain.
Final Blow Mouse GIF by Xbox

fallingdove

Because everyone playing SOT shows up as a MAU for Xbox. This is explained multiple times in this thread but people keep making g disingenuous arguments to dismiss it and I’m done.

Yeah, who cares? MAUs are as soft a leading metric as you can get when you don't have a subscription attached to each of those users. Not to mention, with pay to play MMOs like SOT and ESO, only a subset of those users continue drive revenue to the business. You also have to maintain servers, bundle/discount the core product and subsequent expansions over time. It doesn't quite seem like all of those things, in exchange for an email address, is as meaningful as you think it is.

Last edited:

SHA

Biggest Phil's lie ever, xbox is doomed, the narrative just works on their favor this time.

Last edited:
People are ignoring the part of the OP that explains that for the last 7-8 years MAU have become the more important metric for tracking user base. Everyone who plays SoT on PS5 is a part of the Xbox MAU reporting. That's why they're porting the games.

SoT's last player number was 30 million. The next time they report numbers it won't be split by platform. PS5 can add another 15-20 million to the user count of the game. Every single one of those users is now part of the Xbox ecosystem regardless of the box they play on.
Yea let’s pretend all this accounts are paying for Xbox game pass subscriptions and adding revenue to the service… is not the same playing a game logged in a Xbox account or being a paying member of the service… sure increasing MAU is good but that doesn’t directly translates in more revenue for Xbox services or directly contributes to the grow of their ecosystem as this players will still be tied to PlayStation ecosystem… maybe in the future all this hardware will be agnostic and you can use a PlayStation to play game pass in there and vice versa playing PS plus on Xbox hardware… until that occurs this is just business as usual as a third party publisher….

Fredrik

I said early on in this thread that all this means is that Microsoft is a third party publisher. OP is pretending all this shit is some "trojan horse". Just a silly way to look at it.
Not in a traditional sense. As I said my thinking is that their focus is to drive people to their own platform, an account based Xbox launcher (service later) available on multiple devices, with content, features and exclusives as usual.
Then they seem to want to use the late releases on Playstation and Switch to boost the MAU and playtime numbers for PR and to increase customer awareness of their platform (and later service).
Aggressive and sneaky move but maybe not quite a trojan horse.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not in a traditional sense. As I said my thinking is that their focus is to drive people to their own platform, an account based Xbox launcher (service later) available on multiple devices, with content, features and exclusives as usual.
Then they seem to want to use the late releases on Playstation and Switch to boost the MAU and playtime numbers for PR and to increase customer awareness of their platform (and later service).
Aggressive and sneaky move but maybe not quite a trojan horse.

Nah....there is way too much overthinking on this. Microsoft tried to make it work with their own platform, but the writing is on the wall and they need to make money. Period.

As far as Sea of Thieves and the other games are concerned, Microsoft is absolutely a third party publisher. There is nothing sneaky about that.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Sounds like the server authentication thing every account has to go through, and it just happens to push achievements to the xbox app. So everybody is more playing on PC, on a platform extension from that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is exactly what I said they would do. You will be forced to have an Xbox account to play their big games.

Now everyone is apart of Microsofts MAU and that's all they and shareholders care about.

Once you are signed up, average people who aren't triggered and canceling email subscriptions will be receiving marketing emails about gamepass and xbox.

I think they should bring forza horizon next as that would be greatly appreciated by ps fans I think.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It doesn't seem like a big deal to me - I think Capcom and other companies do this?

If DenchDeckard DenchDeckard is right and suddenly anyone who's played SOT, or Fallout or Call Of Duty do start getting promo emails, I suppose Microsoft could see some benefit.

But overall I think this is probably not much of a story.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nah....there is way too much overthinking on this. Microsoft tried to make it work with their own platform, but the writing is on the wall and they need to make money. Period.

As far as Sea of Thieves and the other games are concerned, Microsoft is absolutely a third party publisher. There is nothing sneaky about that.
Yep. People think this is some creative genius 4D chess masterstroke by Xbox ... it's not.

It is a survival play at best.

They bet on the wrong horses and failed. Almost all of their business strategies (Series S, Game Pass, Zenimax acquisition's impact) have failed. Now they have way too many studios, in-dev products, and employees to feed and manage.

They need money. That's why they are doing this. Nothing more.

Orbital2060

Afaik, everything you do in the game is registered server side, and not localiy. Achievements too, theyre not tied to your local platform. You log in with a Microsoft account, which can see what platform you are playing on. I dont think there is anything nefarious behind it, its just the way the game is built.

You can log in on the SoT website and see what you have on your account. So you can play the game on PS5, and later play the game on Switch and have the exact same content there. Xbox goes through the same process. If WoW came to consoles, it would probably be a similar situation.

Edit if its coming to Switch that is

Last edited:

SaucyJack

no, you are playing it on PS5, you are being counted as MAU in MS live services not "playing on xbox"

If I am playing a nes rom on my PC I am not playing on a NES console, if I play mario odyssey in a switch emulator on my steamdeck I am not playing on a nintendo switch

Exactly this.

Yeah, who cares? MAUs are as soft a leading metric as you can get when you don't have a subscription attached to each of those users. Not to mention, with pay to play MMOs like SOT and ESO, only a subset of those users continue drive revenue to the business. You also have to maintain servers, bundle/discount the core product and subsequent expansions over time. It doesn't quite seem like all of those things, in exchange for an email address, is as meaningful as you think it is.

And also this.

Trojan horse 🤣

FunkMiller

From Microsoft.....

Well, there we go then.

This entire thread was pointless. Manabyte’s trojan horse was actually a dead donkey.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yeah, Xbox already is a service and is on the path to be foremost a service, even on other machines. Windows works like that since ever. No news

hemo memo

Gold Member
Lol the "Trojan Horse" claim is utterly outlandish. the trojan horse, from greek legend, was a sneaky tactic to smuggle soldiers into a city. Here, Microsoft is openly bringing a game to PlayStation, not hiding anything.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

From Microsoft.....

Don't you need the Microsoft account to then sign into Xbox?

Either way, you are in Microsofts eco system and being logged as an MAU.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

That's cool and all, but a MAU on PS5 is worth less than one on Xbox. 30% less on the software side, and 100% less on the hardware side. In an industry that is so oversaturated that turning a profit is far from guaranteed, it's surprising that Microsoft wouldn't have any kind of perks for playing first party games on their console over PS5.

What utter BS. Playing a mutliplatform game doesnt make them Xbox players.
Is this some Microsoft shill BS?

They are NOT and NEVER WILL BE Xbox players. IF MS decides to count these as Xbox players, then fuck em for artificially upping numbers.

They are PS5 players who play a MS game. It doesn't make them Xbox players.
By their logic Im a PS5 player for playing Helldivers on PC, but its a Sony owned game. Yeah sounds crazy but MS thinks so.

Anyone who made this shit up must face the wall and a barrage of dualsense controllers to the head.

GTFO with this shit.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That's cool and all, but a MAU on PS5 is worth less than one on Xbox. 30% less on the software side, and 100% less on the hardware side. In an industry that is so oversaturated that turning a profit is far from guaranteed, it's surprising that Microsoft wouldn't have any kind of perks for playing first party games on their console over PS5.

You make it sound like no publisher benefits from having their games on playstation?

Markio128

I hope aliens don’t read this fucking thread - they’ll just nuke Earth, and as they turn to return home, one will ask ‘how’s that for engagement mofo’s?’

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
What utter BS. Playing a mutliplatform game doesnt make them Xbox players.
Is this some Microsoft shill BS?

They are NOT and NEVER WILL BE Xbox players. IF MS decides to count these as Xbox players, then fuck em for artificially upping numbers.

They are PS5 players who play a MS game. It doesn't make them Xbox players.

Anyone who made this shit up must face the wall and a barrage of dualsense controllers to the head.

GTFO with this shit.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You make it sound like no publisher benefits from having their games on playstation?

Normal third-party publishers don't also have their own platform to support. Third-party publishers do benefit from releasing games on PlayStation. Microsoft does benefit from having their games on PlayStation in some ways, but it also hurts them in other ways (less percentage from sales, a loss in hardware sales, and a loss in the ecosystem as those playing on PlayStation won't be using Game Pass or the Microsoft storefront).

It isn't a 1:1 comparison between Microsoft and, say, CD Projekt Red.

Last edited:
Top Bottom