• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves PS5 Impressions - Improvements Over the Xbox/PC Versions

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If anyone picks it up and plays the beta this weekend I'll be playing the PS5 version mostly (since it looks like progression carries over) and will teach anyone the game who wants to learn. PSN name is the same as here.

I'll be running my Sloop, No Sloop For You, which can take two people. If more want to go at once I can switch to my Brig, Summer of George. If there's a full crew who wants to go we can use my Galleon, Serenity Now.

When the game launches everyone here is welcome to join my Guild, Vandelay Industries.

Just an FYI the laughing emote was for all of the Seinfeld references. Nicely done.

ManaByte

Just an FYI the laughing emote was for all of the Seinfeld references. Nicely done.
george costanza photoshoot GIF by HULU

Ozriel

M$FT
Isn't there extra content in the PS5 version not in the Xbox one?

System specific cosmetics.

Also aren't Microsoft making a new controller with advanced haptics and the such? Anyway I'm just saying, all of this make Phil's comments in that X-Cast interview last year hilarious in retrospect.

"Xbox gamers are not second-class citizens" but that's mainly only in words. Their actions show otherwise though, given where the console is, I fully understand why.

So Xbox players are ‘second class’ because Rare hasn’t patched in features that cannot be used with the existing controllers and thus would benefit zero xbox owner…and would only work if a new controller is released ?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Fredrik

all of this make Phil's comments in that X-Cast interview last year hilarious in retrospect.

"Xbox gamers are not second-class citizens" but that's mainly only in words. Their actions show otherwise though, given where the console is, I fully understand why.
Phil officially said first or better on Xbox, and Sea of Thieves was released 6 years ago on Xbox.

See these PS ports like the PS exclusives on PC. The PC versions of PS games may be better but they’re coming 2-4+ years later. And the differences between PS and Xbox versions will become bigger once PS5 Pro is out.

So…
Do you play first?
Or do you wait for a better version years later?
Or do you play both?
I wish these questions had an easy answer.
For PS exclusives I’ve tried all scenarios and they all suck tbh. As an experiment over 1-2 years I will go with PC for both Xbox and PS games now. So far it’s okay-ish… But games like Stellar Blade will sting to wait for, looks awesome, I’ll try to not act too salty when you’re all playing it. 😕

Last edited:

Stafford

I really wanted to like this game. I got into the betas and everything for Xbox back then, I tried it at launch, again several months later but I just couldn't really enjoy the combat for example. The sword combat felt off, not fun. Same with the guns. I do get that aiming the cannons without any kind of crosshair is on purpose, but still.

I did hear that it's actually really great now, in terms of content too. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another try. I doubt the combat has seen much of an overhaul though, right?

Generic

The PS5 client is the best way to play the game. As Rare said certain cosmetics will be locked to platforms (I believe it's a Sony policy because they do it with Call of Duty as well) and right now the only cosmetic from the Xbox/PC that's not viewable on the PS5 is the Xbox "Duke" ship set. All of the other sets, including ones unlocked via a limited event like the Borderlands set, are there.
I see Sony keeps gatekeeping crossprogression...

Archie501

Neo Member
Played a bit earlier, enjoyed it. But as someone that plays a decent amount of cod how the shittin'hell do you aim in this game. Granted I'm currently having to play it on my Portal and so I've got a bit of delay. But I've spent way too much time trying to adjust the sens and curve and it still feels so janky. I know it's all personal but anyone managed to find the secret setting that make it feel close to cod?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So Xbox players are ‘second class’ because Rare hasn’t patched in features that cannot be used with the existing controllers and thus would benefit zero xbox owner…and would only work if a new controller is released ?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Unless every copy of Sea of Thieves on Xbox comes with a 5500 MB/s SSD, are they even trying tho? Certainly makes Phil's comments from last year X-Cast interview hilarious in retrospect. :messenger_angry:

Played a bit earlier, enjoyed it. But as someone that plays a decent amount of cod how the shittin'hell do you aim in this game. Granted I'm currently having to play it on my Portal and so I've got a bit of delay. But I've spent way too much time trying to adjust the sens and curve and it still feels so janky. I know it's all personal but anyone managed to find the secret setting that make it feel close to cod?

I .. don't think any amount of setting tweaking is going to make this play like CoD.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Great game that places fun above all else.

Nuts that I’d be able to sail my Banjo-Kazooie ship on PS5 if I still had it.

Get it on Switch 2 Rare and I’ll buy day 1.

Ogbert

Is there much to do if you’re a solo player?

I played it at launch and it was cool but lonely. Can you jump in for an hour and actually achieve stuff?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Come on guys. That's not what he's asking. He's suggesting the sensitivity/acceleration adjustment isnt as nice/natural as he'd like. Maybe share controller settings if it has them.... just a thought.

Well, a couple of things. He's using a Portal to play so that will add some latency as is.

Here's a good guide on the controls and the best way to set them up to someones liking

T-0800

So happy this is on PS5. Played a few minutes yesterday just to check it out and take a few screenshots. I'm going to log a lot of hours on this.

Archie501

Neo Member
Well, a couple of things. He's using a Portal to play so that will add some latency as is.

Here's a good guide on the controls and the best way to set them up to someones liking

I appreciate the link, thanks. And yeah I'm not expecting to really be able to tune things well until I can get on my actual PS5.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Loving it with my son but by fuck it just dumps you into the deep end, there's a ton of stuff we simply didn't know about until we watched a beginners video on YouTube, for instance missing out on an easy 10k gold on the tutorial island etc, so we may start a new character and start again.. few questions for those experts..

When we start a character on the tutorial island and then sail the ship out of it, do we enter the main game or are we still in some tutorial instance? When we exit/log back in what do I select to go back to where we were? I clicked on tutorial but that put me back on the beach when I selected main game that seemed to be a whole new option as well

With us both playing, do we get 2 sloops/slops or whatever you call it and we simply abandon one or do we simply party up and invite the other to one of the ships

When you park a ship up at an outpost laden with booty as we didn't last night, we had our barrels filled, can someone simply come and steal it? Whilst we're making deliveries/selling

When we log out and log back in will our ship be where we left it?

Selling at outposts, we had a load of skulls and mermaid crystals, treasure etc who do you sell these do? Are there specific traders want specific items or do you simply pick a faction and sell everything to them?

Cheers, fantastic game btw and sooooo glad to see it come to the PlayStation as I was always so jealous of the Xbox for getting this knowing it'd be the perfect game to play with my kids, with the massive influx of cash from no doubt a ton of sales to PS fans, this will be great for Rare, a studio I've always been a fan off since the spectrum days

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This game deserves a lot of support, and I hope the PS5 version sells gangbusters. Hopefully we’ll get a SoT 2 that is a little deeper than just cosmetic farming and with more people on the servers.

King Dazzar

I think its great to see this looking like its been done well and given some care. The other ports have been done well too so far. Really good.

DJ12

I stand corrected, they did it just recently too lol.
Minecraft Dungeons was available a while ago too as I have that in my list of ps+ games.

I think it makes sense for this type of game to be F2P or sub giveaway. Once the original sales dry up, release a 'base' version and get people that were never going to buy it hooked and rake more in from in game transactions.

MarkyG

Where are all the Xbox/PC fanboys crying about MS ruining their platforms, because they've "betrayed" their fanbase by brining the game over to the competitor's console? Oh, right...

Seriously though, this is a great move. SoT is a great game and should be shared with everyone.

ManaByte

Loving it with my son but by fuck it just dumps you into the deep end, there's a ton of stuff we simply didn't know about until we watched a beginners video on YouTube, for instance missing out on an easy 10k gold on the tutorial island etc, so we may start a new character and start again.. few questions for those experts..

When we start a character on the tutorial island and then sail the ship out of it, do we enter the main game or are we still in some tutorial instance? When we exit/log back in what do I select to go back to where we were? I clicked on tutorial but that put me back on the beach when I selected main game that seemed to be a whole new option as well

You can access the tutorial at any time on the main menu.

With us both playing, do we get 2 sloops/slops or whatever you call it and we simply abandon one or do we simply party up and invite the other to one of the ships

Everyone who starts a game gets their own ship. To both be on the ship, one person starts the game and invites the other to the crew.

When you park a ship up at an outpost laden with booty as we didn't last night, we had our barrels filled, can someone simply come and steal it? Whilst we're making deliveries/selling

Yes. But you need to sell everything before you logout, it isn't saved across sessions.

When we log out and log back in will our ship be where we left it?

No you spawn at a random Outpost every time you login.

Selling at outposts, we had a load of skulls and mermaid crystals, treasure etc who do you sell these do? Are there specific traders want specific items or do you simply pick a faction and sell everything to them?

Skulls - Order of Souls
Chests/trinkets - Gold Hoarders
Cargo - Merchant Alliance

Mermaid gems can be sold to anyone. Whoever you want the rep from.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You can access the tutorial at any time on the main menu.

Is the tutorial just that wee starter island, get a ship and then leave through the fog? Can I go back and replay the tutorial with my main character with the gold I've accumulated and get that hidden gold on the island or do I need to start a new character?

Everyone who starts a game gets their own ship. To both be on the ship, one person starts the game and invites the other to the crew.

Yes. But you need to sell everything before you logout, it isn't saved across sessions.

So anything you leave on your ship is gone the next logon including any supplies like planks, food etc that I've stored in barrels, all of it reset each time? So only really stock up what you need for a sess and then sell the lot before logging out? Pity, would've been nice to stock up your ship, park it at a safe spot and log out only to come back in to where you left it with all the stuff on it, did the Devs give a reason for not doing this? How do you form an attachment to your ship if it resets each sess? Or am I reading you wrong?

No you spawn at a random Outpost every time you login.

I Take it the main gameplay loop is head out, plunder explore and then make a beeline for the nearest outpost to sell everything

Skulls - Order of Souls
Chests/trinkets - Gold Hoarders
Cargo - Merchant Alliance

Mermaid gems can be sold to anyone. Whoever you want the rep from.

Top responses chap, cheers.

RGB'D

The improvements being cited are Dualsense features.
Either you’re seriously asking for Rare to patch in advanced haptics and controller speaker audio via software, or you couldn’t be arsed to read the OP.
And calling dual sense an improvement in super subjective. Not everybody loves the haptics. But it's just the same game with some fancier vibrations so no worries.

ManaByte

So this beta is great for long time players.

There's a "Dead Man's Chest" style quest in the game where everyone on the server fights over a chest and key that unlocks the chest for a skull to turn in. When you pick up the chest (or key) your visible to the whole map and everyone fights over it to be the one to turn it in. Since PS5 players don't know about this, people can actually complete the quest without any hassle during the beta. I did it last night and will probably complete all of the commendations for it today and tomorrow.

HU8G.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So this beta is great for long time players.

There's a "Dead Man's Chest" style quest in the game where everyone on the server fights over a chest and key that unlocks the chest for a skull to turn in. When you pick up the chest (or key) your visible to the whole map and everyone fights over it to be the one to turn it in. Since PS5 players don't know about this, people can actually complete the quest without any hassle during the beta. I did it last night and will probably complete all of the commendations for it today and tomorrow.

HU8G.gif
Where do you pick up this quest?

Top Bottom