• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN editors weigh in on Resident Evil 4

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I would agree that there are several points in the game which would have been greatly inferior had strafing been present.

Such as Ashley's adventures in the darkened rooms. If you could sneak around each corner, where would the tension be?

Foobar

I'm a shotgun whore and I've rarely been in a situation where I can't use it, so sthe lack strafeing hasn't been a big deal for me.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Ryudo said:
I dont know, it sounds more like frustraion ala gaidens camera to me. I am yet to play RE4, but from the reviews and hype here i am expecting it to be the best thing since jiffy lube.

You Dare compare Jiffy Lube to Resident Evil FouuuRRRRA?! :lol

-SRV-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I still don't get the argument that strafing somehow takes away from tension in survival horror games. Silent Hill is considered the scariest survival horror series and it not only allows you to strafe but it also allows you to walk and shoot at the sametime. It doesn't take away from the tension at all.

Silent Hill is not scary. The ability to strafe does not help Silent Hill in any way, shape, or form.

Strafing is way over rated.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Walking and shooting should not be exclusive actions in any videogame where the protagonist uses a gun as a main component of gameplay.

Period.

Duck of Death said:
No, it's not. Really, the game is designed such that you won't need to strafe. I've been in about 1 or 2 situations where strafing would have been appropriate.

The REAL problem with the controls is the lack of analog control.

IAWTP.

You should not have to hold down a button to run in ANY game these days. Infact since Mario 64 came out over 8 years ago now, I think it's almost a crime that a game would still use digital controls. It's not something that is going to ruin the game for me, as I easily put up with the tank controls in the old games, but I can't see why they didn't use analogue controls.

AssMan

Banned
It's either you people complaing about the controls must REALLY suck at this game or it's just fanboy nonsense as usual.

AssMan said:
It's either you people complaing about the controls must REALLY suck at this game or it's just fanboy nonsense as usual.

We can play the game fine. It's aggrevating that the stupid braindead Zombies can straif while you can't. :lol

But it's not really about straifing like the other guys said. It's about getting rid of ancient and rediculous RE control conventions like tank controls (pivot only direction changing) and the run button.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I quite like the run button. But then I spend a good amount of the game walking, so I'd prefer just to be able to hold a direction as I like rather than worry about how much pressure I'm putting on the stick.

If I ran all the time I'd probably want analogue control too.

Mama Smurf said:
I quite like the run button. But then I spend a good amount of the game walking, so I'd prefer just to be able to hold a direction as I like rather than worry about how much pressure I'm putting on the stick.

Do you play the game with your hands or your feet?!? Most rediculous thing I read in a while.

X_X

Nevermind. THIS is the most rediculous thing I've read.

Fantasmo

I quite like the run button. But then I spend a good amount of the game walking, so I'd prefer just to be able to hold a direction as I like rather than worry about how much pressure I'm putting on the stick.I quite like the run button. But then I spend a good amount of the game walking, so I'd prefer just to be able to hold a direction as I like rather than worry about how much pressure I'm putting on the stick.

Agreed. There is a lot to explore. When I move around indoors I'd rather not run around into walls headfirst with my gun clipping thru constantly. The choice definitely keeps the game immersive. Holding a stick halfway to keep this illusion is stupid because what ends up happening is this -- Run, walk, run, walk --ugh. This isn't a stealth game nor an fps. It's horror. Walking is not an afterthought here, it is central to the gameplay. I don't play horror games like I would Unreal Tournament 2004. This is Resident Evil, this is not Halo.

I think sidestepping should have been included in the game. I'd like to make a distinction though, between sidestepping and strafing. In games, strafing is commonly setup so that you can run sideways at the same speed as forward or back. Try running as fast as you can sideways sometime (while holding a weapon, no less) and see how far you get before you fall on your butt. Sidestepping (slowly, while keeping a lock on your target) could have made sense however. But again, this is not an FPS and it was a design decision to keep things more claustrophobic and intense.

In the end, this is a horror game and to a broader description, a game. It does not need FPS controls to succeed in its mission. And as a game, you should learn to play. Hundreds of games have been made with "different" controls and styles and have succeeded admirably. For example, I can think of two ball games with very different controls, Katamari Damacy and Monkey Ball and neither game's controls get hate here. Try being a little more open minded! Instead of complaining incessantly about every little thing, try adapting!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I enjoy RE4 immensely, but that said, sometimes I think it tries to pay too much tribute to the rest of the series. I think the game could've been just as, and likely moreso, intense and fun with real analog controls. I think Leon should be able to shoot and reload while walking. Hell, I could do that, and I'm not even a cool super agent that survived Raccoon City. :D They could've had the weapon accuracy realistically drop if you shoot while walking/running. Also, while I like how the inventory system forces you to really pick what you need, I shouldn't have to bring up the Inventory screen every damn time I want to just change my weapon. They could've swapped the Z-button from pulling up the map screen (you can do that in the main sub menu anyways) and changed it to a simple 'switch weapon' button. Make no mistake, the game is amazing, but by no means flawless,

dog$

Hates quality gaming
junkster said:
It does not need FPS controls
Well it definitely needs something better than what it has, because
tedtropy said:
I think Leon should be able to shoot and reload while walking. Hell, I could do that
and that's it.

The only humans on the face of the earth that cannot shoot and walk simultaneously are people who have both legs amputated and must walk on their hands. That's the only exception I can think of.

Otherwise, if I'm busy shooting something which I'm supposedly scared of, I should be able to walk the fuck away from it while I'm shooting it. You know, to establish distance and keep relative safety among other things.

Fantasmo

I should be able to

And in Metal Gear Solid I should be able to kill any human boss with one Rocket but I can't. In most FPS, 1 shotgun blast should be able to kill you but it doesn't. In every FPS, a hand grenade should cripple you to the point where you can't walk any further but you can still run full speed. In GTA, 3 cops should be able to kill you easily and getting hit by a car should kill you or cripple you instantly but it doesn't. In just about any game ever made, food and first aid kits (or herbs) should not heal you at all, especially instantly on the battlefield but they do.

What's your point?

The only humans on the face of the earth that

can survive a grenade blast right at your feet/ a car hitting them full speed/get health instantly back from/flying an entire city length through the air with a motorcycle and landing on the wheels with no damage to the rider or the motorcycle/surviving a sword to the chest.... doesn't exist. Even the best green herb on the planet is not going to stop the effects of an axe to the grill. So again, what's your point?

You like your conventions and you don't want to adapt. Sorry mate, design decisions!

There are plenty FPS out there, maybe horror is not your genre!

Culex

Banned
akascream said:
Except Aliens fucking sucks? Those fucking annoying Marines, god damn. Alien is 100 times the movie aliens is.

You missed the point, although I don't know how...

Alien was more about suspense. Aliens was pure unadulturated action.

Resident Evil was about suspense. Resident Evil 4 is pure unadulturated action.

Whether you think Aliens sucks or not, is besides the point.

akascream

Banned
Culex said:
You missed the point, although I don't know how...

Alien was more about suspense. Aliens was pure unadulturated action.

Resident Evil was about suspense. Resident Evil 4 is pure unadulturated action.

Whether you think Aliens sucks is besides the point.

No, I think it is the point really. He's basically saying that the old formula blows RE4 out of the water.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
junkster said:
What's your point?
junkster said:
You like your conventions and you don't want to adapt.
Yeah, that's basically it.
So, until they adapt to my conventions, no sale.

ps: none of those examples you cited fault the games for how they control.

Mama Smurf

Shogmaster said:
Do you play the game with your hands or your feet?!? Most rediculous thing I read in a while.

X_X

Nevermind. THIS is the most rediculous thing I've read.

Are you an idiot? What doesn't you understand?

Mama Smurf

I did, and it makes sense, so in conclusion I figure you're either an idiot or didn't understand something.

Specifics here would help.

sammy

I for one feel that RE4 doesn't need strafe one bit.... it certainly wouldn't be as intense having it, and the game is certainly functional without it...

But, to appease the mass of wester FPS fans over here, they could've included more 'context sensative' roll/jump to the side options when surrounded by crowds... or even arround corners...
That would've still kept it in tune with its tense RE controll roots.

Miburou

Mama Smurf said:
I did, and it makes sense, so in conclusion I figure you're either an idiot or didn't understand something.

What you wrote made perfect sense.

Mrbob

MarkRyan said:
This is evidence of your belief that the main goal of video games is to allow you to do what you want.

But good video games are games. Is it intuitive that a horse in Chess moves in an L-shape? Does it make sense that a Bishop can only move diagonally? Great video games are challenges with specific rules--purposely built-in limitations--and the goal is to complete the challenge while playing within the confines of these rules. About 80% of video gamers (read: mainstream) want Chess with a bunch of pieces that can move around however the player pleases. The other bit of video gamers know that a game is defined by both what it allows, and what it does not allow.

And this may be a valid point if the game wasn't called Resident Evil 4.

Leon is a highly trained super agent. Surely his training taught him how to walk and shoot at the same time? Or how to roll away from oncoming enemies. The 'limitation' of Leons move set seems out of place for the type of character he portrays in the game. Especially when you consider all the cool shit he can do with action moves.

Miburou

Is it that easy in real life to shoot while walking? Dino Crisis 2 had that (and this game borrows heavily from it), so it seems Capcom is purposely not including such an option.

Mama Smurf said:

Ignoring the fact that for games like this, the dev can simply assign two speeds to the analog stick (full pressure = run, and anything but the full pressure is walk), if you can't finess the stick to such a degree, maybe you should take up another genre. Perhaps some point and click advantures?

And alll this time I thought the point of analog stick was to provide varying degrees of control. Silly me! Apparently analog stick is perfect for one speed control according to you!

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY ROLLEYES SMILIES?!?!

Mama Smurf

Shogmaster said:
Ignoring the fact that for games like this, the dev can simply assign two speeds to the analog stick (full pressure = run, and anything but the full pressure is walk), if you can't finess the stick to such a degree, maybe you should take up another genre. Perhaps some point and click advantures?

I can do it, anyone can do it, but I'd prefer not to have to hold the stick halfway forward for most of the game than all the way. It's simply a preference, not a requirement.

And alll this time I thought the point of analog stick was to provide varying degrees of control. Silly me! Apparently analog stick is perfect for one speed control according to you!

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY ROLLEYES SMILIES?!?!

You don't understand at all. I mean your response to that quote doesn't even make sense, so I'm going to ignore your reply, and explain what what I wrote meant.

If I ran all the time, and had analogue, I would only have to push forwards on the stick rather than forwards and a button.

GASP OMG IT MAKES SENSE END OF THE WORLD SHOGMASTER GETS IT NOW

Hopefully

Bigfoot

dog$ said:
The only humans on the face of the earth that cannot shoot and walk simultaneously are people who have both legs amputated and must walk on their hands. That's the only exception I can think of.
When have games ever been about what humans realistically do? I’m sure many of you have played paintball. When you a running across a field, do you jump up and down like you’re running the 110 m hurdles? No, you just run across it… then why does everybody jump up and down in Quake and Halo? Because it’s a game, not because this is what people normally do!

Also, I can hardly think of any real life situations were I would strafe, aside from sports, and that’s just a simple sidestep. Even in paintball, you either lean around a tree to shoot, or run straight well shooting sideways… you don’t strafe (you would look like an idiot if you did, and likely trip and fall). Strafe is just a FPS game mechanism, and has nothing to do with making a game realistic.

Like many people have pointed out before me, games have rules that the developer decides to use. Strafing could easily have been added to RE4, but it would have changed the way the develop intended the game to be played… and I think in this case it worked out great (based on my time playing it and all the reviews), but when it doesn’t work out, that’s when you complain about the controls.

sammy

Entertainment has been limiting audiences for the sake of emersion since the dawn of 'fun' ...
A story without a 'conflict' to relate with is nothing ... And we're starting to see this implemented abstractly into interactivity...

People might say they want 100% control of everything at every given moment, the same way they yell at some stupid bitch character in a horror movie to 'not go into the closet!'....

It all boils down to feeling the limits of the character, or atmosphere that the game is trying to portray...
And lets face it, 100% limitless control is just a arrow selecting options to progress..

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Mrbob said:
Leon is a highly trained super agent. Surely his training taught him how to walk and shoot at the same time? Or how to roll away from oncoming enemies. The 'limitation' of Leons move set seems out of place for the type of character he portrays in the game. Especially when you consider all the cool shit he can do with action moves.
And a King is a KING. He should be the BEST. But a King in Chess only moves one square, while the Queen can rock the board. How does it make sense that a Queen is more capable in combat than her King!?!?

Using logic and realism as reasons for design choices in games is pretty retarded, unless the game is a sim or there's no other way to design it.

-SRV-

Banned
sammy said:
Entertainment has been limiting audiences for the sake of emersion since the dawn of 'fun' ...
A story without a 'conflict' to relate with is nothing ... And we're starting to see this implemented abstractly into interactivity...

People might say they want 100% control of everything at every given moment, the same way they yell at some stupid bitch character in a horror movie to 'not go into the closet!'....

It all boils down to feeling the limits of the character, or atmosphere that the game is trying to portray...
And lets face it, 100% limitless control is just a arrow selecting options to progress..

You sound like you have a strong literature and/or philosophy background.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Porthos said:
Strafe is just a FPS game mechanism, and has nothing to do with making a game realistic.
I made a point of not mentioning strafing.
Fuck strafing.

Like I said, if I'm taking care of a threat with a gun... a threat which I'm supposed to be scared of no less, I see no rationalization as to why I cannot:

a) Shoot the target
and
b) Run away from the target

simultanenously.

If the point of RE is that it's a non-action horror game, then make all environments such that the instinctive impulse to move and shoot simultaneously would be severely restricted/impossible AND reduce enemy encounters enough so that you can deal with them in a rational manner so that you wouldn't need to dance around everything AND make the weapons effective enough so that the enemies wouldn't need to be plugged "20" times. If I only had to shoot everything once, I probably wouldn't notice about the lack of being able to move and shoot simultaneously, since I'd be able to kill any visible threats in an instant and get on with my life.

If the point of RE is that it's an action game with horror elements, then it fails horribly since it controls worse than practically all other action games made to date.

explodet

Mrbob said:
In Metal Gear Solid 3, there are some parts of the game where Snake can't look 10 feet in front of him without going into first-person mode. And when in that mode, Snake can't move, just turn his head. Surely a highly trained super agent should be able to look in front of him while moving?
I won't even go into climbing heights.
NOTE: I thoroughly enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 3. Excellent game.

Back to Resident Evil 4 - sure, I've got criticisms with the game, but they are FAR outweighed by the good stuff I experienced. This was a GREAT game, and I'm not going to let something like what "should" be in the game ruin my experience. There are SO MANY games where I could think of design elements that "should" be in the game, that if I started concentrating on that with each game I play, I wouldn't have ANY fun.

darscot

MarkRyan said:
And a King is a KING. He should be the BEST. But a King in Chess only moves one square, while the Queen can rock the board. How does it make sense that a Queen is more capable in combat than her King!?!?

Using logic and realism as reasons for design choices in games is pretty retarded, unless the game is a sim or there's no other way to design it.

Great analogy with the chess. It always drives me nuts when people can't see the big picture. What's next we let the QB pass from anywhere any time on the Football field after all he's good at it.

-SRV-

Banned
dog$ said:
If the point of RE is that it's a non-action horror game, then make all environments such that the instinctive impulse to move and shoot simultaneously would be severely restricted/impossible AND reduce enemy encounters enough so that you can deal with them in a rational manner so that you wouldn't need to dance around everything AND make the weapons effective enough so that the enemies wouldn't need to be plugged "20" times. If I only had to shoot everything once, I probably wouldn't notice about the lack of being able to move and shoot simultaneously, since I'd be able to kill any visible threats in an instant and get on with my life.

If the point of RE is that it's an action game with horror elements, then it fails horribly since it controls worse than practically all other action games made to date.

I see your points, but I see RE4 as a horror game with action elements to keep the pace up. I'm not having any problems with the controls at all. Options are limited at times to make you feel trapped. I think Capcom did themselves proud.

explodet

Anyway, shouldn't we be complaining about the IGN editors some more by now? I thought that was a usual pastime around here.

Mama Smurf

You know, I can't say I've noticed the lack myself, but I don't see why they couldn't include shooting while running. You wouldn't be able to aim like you can normally (you wouldn't even be able to use some weapons), but just firing ahead of you would be alright.

They'd have to work out a different control scheme though, I don't want the action button to be the fire button too. I've pressed A when the action says to jump down or whatever and it's just changed away from it so nothing happens too many times to keep the same control scheme, I'd be waisting ammo and alerting enemies to my presence (not to mention killing half the merchants).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
HALO 2 > RE4

There, I said it!

jk, I've yet to beat both games so I can't begin to make a valid comparison on which I like better; not that I would anyway ;)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
explodet said:
Anyway, shouldn't we be complaining about the IGN editors some more by now?
If the IGN editors can't move and shoot simultaneously, that's their own damned fault.

ge-man

dog$ said:
I made a point of not mentioning strafing.
Fuck strafing.

Like I said, if I'm taking care of a threat with a gun... a threat which I'm supposed to be scared of no less, I see no rationalization as to why I cannot:

a) Shoot the target
and
b) Run away from the target

simultanenously.

I think the game was designed well without the strafe. You can handle huge groups by timing your melee attacks. Certain weapons like the shotgun and TMP allow you to mow over several enemies quickly. Plus, the game also gives you a generous amount of explosive weapons.

It's not the designers built the game around strafing and then pulled it out at the last minute. Almost all situations can be dealt with the tools that were provided.

As someone said early, the analog issue is the only real failing of the control scheme. We have gone through nearly 2 generations of analog control--digital controls in 3D playing games are silly.

Top Bottom