• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN editors weigh in on Resident Evil 4

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://cube.ign.com/articles/580/580693p1.html

"RE4 should act as a case study for developers in looking at how they can revive their established franchises and breathe new life and more involving gameplay into their future titles. Sometimes, you have to take what made the original game fun and tweak it or mix it with elements found from one's other successes (in this case, Capcom's DMC series)." - Stephen Ng, IGN FAQs

"Everything in RE4 comes together to form one of the defining moments of this generation. It pushes the boundaries set by the Resident Evil series and one-ups just about every game released last year. The marriage of action, suspense, puzzles and strategy set a new high-water mark for the survival horror genre. Beyond that, the overall quality of the title sets a new standard for any game, in any genre." - Juan Castro, IGNcube

"I hate saying something is a "classic" when it's just been released, but RE 4 is the game every developer is going to rip off over the next five years. This is a new level of excellence in adventure gaming with superb graphics, great sound, and fantastic gameplay. Though there may be a few issues still remaining (such as not being able to strafe), this is absolutely the ultimate Resident Evil." - Hilary Goldstein, IGNXbox

"RE4 is to the franchise what Aliens was to Alien. It's bigger, better, and whole lot slicker. Alien was all about isolation and not having proper weapons to fight the stealthy threat. Aliens was about ass-kicking with a huge arsenal in amazing environments -- and then the frightening realization that being armed isn't enough to survive. I'm still amazed at the variety and the overall quality of the entire game." - Peer Schneider, IGN Overlord

Socreges

Banned
"RE4 should act as a case study for developers in looking at how they can revive their established franchises and breathe new life and more involving gameplay into their future titles. Sometimes, you have to take what made the original game fun and tweak it or mix it with elements found from one's other successes (in this case, Capcom's DMC series)." - Stephen Ng, IGN FAQs
Wha?

Odnetnin

Banned
Wario64 said:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/580/580693p1.html
"I hate saying something is a "classic" when it's just been released, but RE 4 is the game every developer is going to rip off over the next five years. This is a new level of excellence in adventure gaming with superb graphics, great sound, and fantastic gameplay. Though there may be a few issues still remaining (such as not being able to strafe), this is absolutely the ultimate Resident Evil." - Hilary Goldstein, IGNXbox

could the xbot be any less transparent? I guess that's why most games on ign xbox get 9+. Strafe!

koam

What a dumbass, DMC was originally RE4..

Am I the only one who played through RE4 the entire game without wishing for a strafe button? While this is an action game, it's also a survival horror game. Adding a strafe button could have potentially ruined the experience if you ask me. Resident Evil 4 is perfect the way it is.

scarybore

ToyMachine228 said:
Am I the only one who played through RE4 the entire game without wishing for a strafe button? While this is an action game, it's also a survival horror game. Adding a strafe button could have potentially ruined the experience if you ask me. Resident Evil 4 is perfect the way it is.

It didn't bother me at all, movement while aiming/shooting would just ruin the whole idea of what it was trying to achieve.

Then again I never had a problem with the previous RE games controls and seeing how the quick camera shifts affected Devil May Cry I probably never will.

Mason

ToyMachine228 said:

I'm in 5-1, and there's only been one time when I was playing the game that I wished I could strafe. I don't know why some people can't get over it.

koam

Sure it was, parts of it turned into DMC. But anyway, check this out:

This game kicks ass. I really wish RE 4 had released two weeks earlier, at the end of December, because it would have nabbed my vote for overall GOTY.

That's from Hillary from IGN Xbox.. I wouldn't have thought (s)he'd actually put this over Halo 2.

Mrbob

Mason said:
I'm in 5-1, and there's only been one time when I was playing the game that I wished I could strafe. I don't know why some people can't get over it.

Because the non inclusion of strafe is mind numblingly dumb idea on Capcom's part? Yeah I already know their supposed reasoning for it but I don't agree.

I'll learned to live without it. It still bothers me though that Leon can do all these cool action moves but his reaction time in fights still seems so slow. This guy is a highly trained agent....

Anyway, without the strafe this game still kicks ass. I'm having a blast with it and is still one of the best games I've played.

Hilary (A guy FYI) is pretty level headed.

Stele

Holds a little red book
See, this is why this game is never coming to Xbox. Doesn't jive with the FPS-only crowd that doesn't realize every shooting game doesn't have to play like a FPS.

Azih

You know in many ways RE4 shooting is much more realistic than Doom style strafing. All Leon does is precision shots and there's no way anyone can shoot accurately while lurching sideways. There's a reason why realistic FPSes (Rainbow Six etc.) penalise you severely for moving while shooting.

Justin

I finished the game a couple of days ago and it was great, but I had a problem. I think the game might of been a bit too long. The middle sections were too void of unique encounters and experiences. Lots of people complain about this in the Halo games, there is an exciting encounter followed by 30 minuets of vanilla game play. The parts around the castle felt this way to me. You would go into a room and face 20 monsters, kill them all, go into the next room, face 30 monsters then go into the next room face 20 monsters but a different mix of them. I almost wanted to stop playing but I am glad I stuck with it because chapter 5 was great. Anyone else feel this way?

Culex

Banned
Justin said:
I finished the game a couple of days ago and it was great, but I had a problem. I think the game might of been a bit too long. The middle sections were too void of unique encounters and experiences. Lots of people complain about this in the Halo games, there is an exciting encounter followed by 30 minuets of vanilla game play. The parts around the castle felt this way to me. You would go into a room and face 20 monsters, kill them all, go into the next room, face 30 monsters then go into the next room face 20 monsters but a different mix of them. I almost wanted to stop playing but I am glad I stuck with it because chapter 5 was great. Anyone else feel this way?

I felt completely opposite from your view and wished it was even longer. I just didn't want it to end at all. I thought the game was nearly over when I hit the second disc, but was glad that nearly 8 more hours of gameplay were on it.

I loved the castle. The chanting monks were far creepier than the villagers. And the action set pieces were setup just as well as any other part in the game.
There's definitely quite a bit of variety in the castle area. You start off getting bombarded by catapults, face a bunch of monks, you fight the wolverine guys, there's the part with the invisible bugs, playing as Ashley, fighting the six knights to get the Queen/King Cup, the lava room, etc.

I don't see how a strafe would've made the game any better either. Most of the enviroments are confined. You'd end up strafing into walls too much or into enemies trying to attack from the sides.

shuri

Banned
"I hate saying something is a "classic" when it's just been released, but RE 4 is the game every developer is going to rip off over the next five years. - Hilary Goldstein, IGNXbox

Oh boy. Big words here.

"I hate saying something is a "classic" when it's just been released, but RE 4 is the game every developer is going to rip off over the next five years. - Hilary Goldstein, IGNXbox

But... isn't RE4 just a collaboration of ideas from OTHER games (MGS, Shenmue, Diablo, rpgs, etc) done to a very nice T?

*runs and hides*

Bigfoot

worldrunover said:
But... isn't RE4 just a collaboration of ideas from OTHER games (MGS, Shenmue, Diablo, rpgs, etc) done to a very nice T?

*runs and hides*
I've heard the same thing said about Halo and FPS games many times. No need to run and hide :)

NLB2

Banned
"The first time I suplexed a not-zombieto make its head explode, I weeped tears of joy."
What What What???
You can suplex people?
I NEED THIS GAME!

Prine

Banned
AS great as RE4 is, id like to see a strafe. Doesnt really need it, but would be a nice addition.

Strafe != FPS

NLB2 said:
"The first time I suplexed a not-zombieto make its head explode, I weeped tears of joy."
What What What???
You can suplex people?
I NEED THIS GAME!

The opportunity to suplex is rare, but I did it once. Laughed out loud too, but it looked very cool. It just surprised the hell out of me.

NLB2

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
The opportunity to suplex is rare, but I did it once. Laughed out loud too, but it looked very cool. It just surprised the hell out of me.
I've played the demo so I know about the "shoot to stun, A to kick" mechanic. Do you stun them then run to their back to suplex them?

Prine said:
Not really. Its true, RE4 will spawn a whole new type of action-adventure games

Damn, is this game THAT good? I might have to borrow my friends Cube and play it, and eventually pick up the PS2 version :p

Yes, I'm a bitch, I know.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
NLB2 said:
I've played the demo so I know about the "shoot to stun, A to kick" mechanic. Do you stun them then run to their back to suplex them?
The villagers can't be suplexed, only the enemies in another area (which are quite plentiful). And you do it exactly like you do the A to kick thing. Shoot 'em in the legs, they fall to their knees, you run up and tap A to start the tears-a-flowin'.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont know if RE4 will ever get old for me. There's nothing like upgrading your weapons to the max and having a blast killing hundreds of enemies.

The game action packed. So action packed that the kill count at the end of the game is nearly 4 digits

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I have put some time into RE4, and I can't fathom how people say that wouldn't want the controls any different. Do they work? yes, but I don't believe they are as good as they can be.

Love the game anyway, but the controls still feel a little "clunky"

I'd like a walking strafe, where you could sidestep around corners with your gun at ready, but meh, no big deal, the game definately is sweet.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Odnetnin said:
could the xbot be any less transparent? I guess that's why most games on ign xbox get 9+. Strafe!

WTF cant you people take objective criticism ? Its a flaw with the F'ing game. Get over it already.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I honestly wouldn't want strafing in this game. For a start it'd completely change the way it's played in battle, and I like it the way it is, and secondly it'd take away most of the tension of moving round a new corner if I could strafe around them.

I still don't get the argument that strafing somehow takes away from tension in survival horror games. Silent Hill is considered the scariest survival horror series and it not only allows you to strafe but it also allows you to walk and shoot at the sametime. It doesn't take away from the tension at all.

Rhindle

It's not just about strafing. The control scheme is basically still the same old tank controls that everyone is sick of. They're just much more managable with the over the shoulder perspective.

The argument that a broken control scheme is a good thing because it adds to the tension just does not make any sense. If your character had no legs and had to crawl around the entire game, I'm sure that would add to the tension too.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Rhindle said:
It's not just about strafing. The control scheme is basically still the same old tank controls that everyone is sick of. They're just much more managable with the over the shoulder perspective.

The argument that a broken control scheme is a good thing because it adds to the tension just does not make any sense. If your character had no legs and had to crawl around the entire game, I'm sure that would add to the tension too.

I dont know, it sounds more like frustraion ala gaidens camera to me. I am yet to play RE4, but from the reviews and hype here i am expecting it to be the best thing since jiffy lube.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yes, it would but you have to get a balance between adding tension and making the game crap.

I'm sure the game COULD add more tension without having to resort to a lack of strafing, but having played a good amount of RE4 now, I'd say you'd take away a lot in this game by including it. That's not to say other games don't have tension with strafing, tis is just about RE4.

Perhaps no one else agrees with me, but I find it tense not being able to strafe around a corner with my gun ready and able to see everything as soon as possible. The game probably should have had better ways of making it tense, but I still wouldn't want strafing for the combat reasons I mentioned. Unless they didn't let you strafe in firing mode, that'd be ok.

Unison

It's not like they programmed the game assuming your guy could strafe and then ripped the feature out at the last minute. If you are good at the game, you won't die because you can't strafe. The game is designed knowing that your character can't strafe.

This is like complaining that Mario can't get a P-wing in Super Mario Sunshine...

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Unison said:
It's not like they programmed the game assuming your guy could strafe and then ripped the feature out at the last minute. If you are good at the game, you won't die because you can't strafe. The game is designed knowing that your character can't strafe.

This is like complaining that Mario can't get a P-wing in Super Mario Sunshine...

Thats just fanboy damage control.

No, it's not. Really, the game is designed such that you won't need to strafe. I've been in about 1 or 2 situations where strafing would have been appropriate.

The REAL problem with the controls is the lack of analog control.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Unison said:
No, it's being alright with the fact that every game I play isn't the same recycled garbage.

I am not syaing RE4 is garbage but its hardly a new concept. :lol

explodet

Ryudo said:
WTF cant you people take objective criticism? Its a flaw with the F'ing game. Get over it already.
Some would argue that "objective criticism" is a contradiction of terms; you can't criticise something wihtout taking a subjective approach.

Anyway, the game is loads of fun. AS IT IS NOW.

MarkRyan

This is similar to the complaints that Metroid Prime doesn't have dual analog control, or complaints about how Metal Gear Solid's camera limits your view.

Metroid Prime, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil 4 are all tightly designed games. I can't think of one part of any of the games that prevents you from doing something that the game design demands. It's like complaining that you can't put down two Xs in tic-tac-toe, or whining that a king in Chess can only move one square--"It's the king, afterall--he should be the best!" "He's a trained special agent, afterall--he should be able to strafe and shoot at the same time!"

As much as these sorts of complaints are pretty annoying, they are at least helpful in letting me know which people are playing games and wanting something that I don't give a crap about.

Rhindle

Again, you can justify any crap game design decision by saying that it makes the game more challanging or that "the rest of the game was designed around it." Sure you can design around a problem, but that doesn't change it from being poor design choice to begin with.

Control schemes, first and foremost, need to be natural and intuitive, to make the game as immersive as possible. Tank controls are not immersive or intuitive, and an overhead camera in what is supposed to be a stealth game sure as hell isn't.

Unison

Rhindle said:
Again, you can justify any crap game design decision by saying that it makes the game more challanging or that "the rest of the game was designed around it." Sure you can design around a problem, but that doesn't change it from being poor design choice to begin with.

Control schemes, first and foremost, need to be natural and intuitive, to make the game as immersive as possible. Tank controls are not immersive or intuitive, and an overhead camera in what is supposed to be a stealth game sure as hell isn't.

WTF, I don't press any buttons on a control pad to do anything in the natural world. Don't be a tard.

Almost no control schemes, with the possible exception of some of the DS minigames (e.g. the parachute one) feel natural.

MarkRyan

Rhindle said:
This is evidence of your belief that the main goal of video games is to allow you to do what you want.

But good video games are games. Is it intuitive that a horse in Chess moves in an L-shape? Does it make sense that a Bishop can only move diagonally? Great video games are challenges with specific rules--purposely built-in limitations--and the goal is to complete the challenge while playing within the confines of these rules. About 80% of video gamers (read: mainstream) want Chess with a bunch of pieces that can move around however the player pleases. The other bit of video gamers know that a game is defined by both what it allows, and what it does not allow.

Top Bottom