• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

omg Etrian Odyssey 2 vids!

duckroll

Looks awesome. It's good that they're maintaining the feel and mood of EO perfectly, while making it look better and more interesting as well. I'm digging the new scenario and designs. Can't wait for more. :D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!

Okay, now I'll watch the vid.

Even though I know the name of the game, I always read these thread titles as "Eritrean Odyssey"

Anyhoo, tagged! Will watch when I get home :D

CTLance

Hmmm. Time to play more EO1. Gotta finish this before EO2 shows up.

Looks nice. Sounds nice. The engine seems to be able to show a bit more detailed textures. O NOM NOM NOM.

OMG HOT!

1F, eh? I guess that video must be the entryway to the Floating Castle dungeon.

Kyoufu said:
Thats not gameplay.

Thats you walking forward, with some guy talking.

Easily 40% of the gameplay in Etrian Odyssey consists of walking forward. :lol

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'll reiterate the comment about the textures that seem to be improved but the draw distance seems the same.

Is there a release date yet? Let's hope they the time to shine that shit up and animate the ennemies (only FOEs and Bosses woul do it).

Anyway, I'll buy this DAY ONE (US release)

lyre

:O

And it looks like Female Gunner 1 has replaced Female Protector 1 as the official poster girl, not that I'm complaining.

lyre

Scalpel Knight said:
Still too scared to indulge in the first one. I will one of these days.
Suck it up and get down in that hole you wuss. :p

really, the game is awesome, play it!

Cedille said:
Given the setting of EO2 is no longer in Etrian, I think this title is odd, but whatever.

Blame Atlus Japan for not warning Atlus USA over a year in advance that someday down the road they'd be making a sequel set somewhere besides Etria. :lol

As if it would really make any difference if you could see the FOE an extra two turns before it tears your party to shreds.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
charlequin said:
Blame Atlus Japan for not warning Atlus USA over a year in advance that someday down the road they'd be making a sequel set somewhere besides Etria. :lol
Strange, I thought they a pretty good idea from the start, with the password for the sequel being at the end of the game and all. :p

firex

hey, the character list is updated! They have all but 3 classes' information up now. anyone want to translate?

jj984jj said:
Strange, I thought they a pretty good idea from the start, with the password for the sequel being at the end of the game and all. :p

Does it pop up and say "Here is your password for the upcoming sequel that is totally not set in Etria"?

duckroll said:
Totally should have stuck with Yggdrasil Labyrinth. :)

I am sympathetic to the "we have put out a few too many games called 'Yggdrasil X'" concern stated by the localization director.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DeaconKnowledge said:
So Etrian Odyssey is like Dungeon Keeper? Can somebody explain the core gameplay (specifically the mapmaking) to me?

3D dungeon crawl with mapping. Turn based combat. Diablo II like skill system.

Better than its component parts.

nincompoop said:
Hopefully they beef up the mapmaking features in the sequel.

It features literally 3x the number of icons, including separate icons for each of the three types of item-gathering spots, uni- and bi-directional arrows, and a few other things; it also allows you to lay down three colors of floor tile, instead of one.

<3 <3 <3

DeaconKnowledge said:
So Etrian Odyssey is like Dungeon Keeper? Can somebody explain the core gameplay (specifically the mapmaking) to me?

It's a first-person dungeon crawler. There's a dungeon of 30 floors, each of which has progressively harder monsters, treasure, weird puzzle interactions, story events, etc.; you take a party of generic characters (selected from one of nine classes, and customized using a skill-buy system) into it. As you explore, you map the floor so you know where you've been and what parts you have yet to visit; you complete missions, gather loot, level up.... it's FANTASTIC.

Nice! EO is my favorite game on the DS.

My favorite new features, by far, are the additions of new icons. I just hope they did away with the limit of the number of each icon you can use. It sucked, mapping out floors like B27, only to find out I can't place any more pit icons. Arrrggghh!!! I wonder if it was a technical limitation of the DS, like not enough memory, or something.

Also, has anyone got any reliable information regarding the locked password option in the first game? All I've been able to find, is speculation that it may be to carry over information to part 2, a la Golden Sun. However, I can't see how having the second game can possibly unlock the option in the first game, since you can't have both cartridges in the DS, simultaneously.

charlequin said:
It features literally 3x the number of icons, including separate icons for each of the three types of item-gathering spots, uni- and bi-directional arrows, and a few other things; it also allows you to lay down three colors of floor tile, instead of one.

<3 <3 <3

It's a first-person dungeon crawler. There's a dungeon of 30 floors, each of which has progressively harder monsters, treasure, weird puzzle interactions, story events, etc.; you take a party of generic characters (selected from one of nine classes, and customized using a skill-buy system) into it. As you explore, you map the floor so you know where you've been and what parts you have yet to visit; you complete missions, gather loot, level up.... it's FANTASTIC.

That does sound really cool. I think i'll pick the first one up.

Mudhoney

B.K. said:
Really? I haven't seen any story in it yet.
The gist of the story happens towards the end of the game. It's pretty cool also, I thought.

Time to read the game faqs translation. I really hope this game gets localized.

Top Bottom