• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Odyssey

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Someone bumped this so I'll bite. I too have a habit of purchasing games, TV shows and movies (all physical) and not touching them for years. Odyssey is still in the shrink-wrap but it's not really 6-years in my case. I mean, I held off on consoles and was going to skip the gen entirely until my wife give it (Switch) as a birthday gift in October of 2022. Pretty late getting the Switch as she had one and I always thought, I'd just play hers. I bought the popular titles but Odyssey ironically to OPs thread, is one in my back catalog. Played every mainline Mario game with the exception of purchasing and never playing Galaxy 1 or 2 (this was due to my gripe with the Wii and it's insidious shovel ware). I'm playing two games at the time but I plan to get to Odyssey sometime this Spring.

If anyone can confirm that this is the unofficial successor to Super Mario 64, that'd be sweet.

Someone bumped this so I'll bite. I too have a habit of purchasing games, TV shows and movies (all physical) and not touching them for years. Odyssey is still in the shrink-wrap but it's not really 6-years in my case. I mean, I held off on consoles and was going to skip the gen entirely until my wife give it (Switch) as a birthday gift in October of 2022. Pretty late getting the Switch as she had one and I always thought, I'd just play hers. I bought the popular titles but Odyssey ironically to OPs thread, is one in my back catalog. Played every mainline Mario game with the exception of purchasing and never playing Galaxy 1 or 2 (this was due to my gripe with the Wii and it's insidious shovel ware). I'm playing two games at the time but I plan to get to Odyssey sometime this Spring.

If anyone can confirm that this is the unofficial successor to Super Mario 64, that'd be sweet.
It's more like a mixture with some elements from all of the 3D style games 64, Sunshine, Galaxy. IMO. But I think honestly I would still prefer 64 or Sunshine, Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game and it just doesn't quite scratch the itch the same.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's more like a mixture with some elements from all of the 3D style games 64, Sunshine, Galaxy. IMO. But I think honestly I would still prefer 64 or Sunshine, Mario 64 is my favorite Mario game and it just doesn't quite scratch the itch the same.
I don't mind if they threw in ideas from Sunshine or Galaxy. From trailers and the very few gameplay videos I've watched; seemed like they wanted a 'renaissance Mario' or went Baroque if you'll pardon my using artistic period terms. I.e. -- Mario could be anywhere and do anything all 3D. Which I honestly don't mind that at all and figured they'd try that at some point.

No way of comparing them to SM64, Sunshine and again...can't speak for Galaxy but it's been well received (the first one at any rate). Probably just nostalgia but seeing those games as they came out and how they were totally different...that was something else. Thanks for sharing though as I am eager to play it now but need to stop adding to my backlog before I get there.

Marvel14

Banned
Odyssey is pure genius and so much fun.

”But but too many moons!”
“But but the T-Rex!”

Who cares, bitches. Acknowledge brilliance when you see it for once, instead of grasping at straws because you think a game’s Metascore is too high.
Respectfully disagree.

It's a very fun and very good game but not matching effort to moons rewarded and having such strangely disparate sandbox worlds with nothing connecting them were major design flaws that made the game feel disjointed and the least rewarding of Mario's 3d outings.

Still a great game but not top tier imho.

bender

What time is it?
I took my Switch with me on vacation around the time this released and I ended up spending more time with Steamworld Dig 2. That's not to say that Mario isn't an enjoyable game, but it doesn't rank with my favorite 3D Mario (Galaxy).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Playing this game and Mario Bros Deluxe, I liked Deluxe much more. In Odyssey youre running around exploring and stuff which is fine, but for me I prefer Mario to be a 2D platformer. Odyssey was a lot of empty running around.

Whats with people recently posting LTTP which in the end looks like a review rather than a personal point of view how you felt about a game you just got to play for the first time after years?
"The resolution is so and so aspect ratio, your goal is to collect stars (no shit), its an open world where your goal is bla bla..."

LTTP should sound more like " I really think the game stepped it up, the open world is much more fun, for a Switch title the graphics are pretty good, I wish i played this on release knowing now its a fun title etc"

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Whats with people recently posting LTTP which in the end looks like a review rather than a personal point of view how you felt about a game you just got to play for the first time after years?
"The resolution is so and so aspect ratio, your goal is to collect stars (no shit), its an open world where your goal is bla bla..."

LTTP should sound more like " I really think the game stepped it up, the open world is much more fun, for a Switch title the graphics are pretty good, I wish i played this on release knowing now its a fun title etc"
Why didn't you write that for your Odyssey thread then? OP tagged lttp and gave a bit more of their personal impression. That's a better read than your summary.

Why didn't you write that for your Odyssey thread then? OP tagged lttp and gave a bit more of their personal impression. That's a better read than your summary.

Guy is writing a review, how you are supposed to play the game, what the mechanics are etc. Nothing to do with his personal opinion, we already have 200+ actual reviews of the game. LTTP you want to know what the person feels like about the game, not write something we already read and knew by reading a brochure.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Guy is writing a review, how you are supposed to play the game, what the mechanics are etc. Nothing to do with his personal opinion, we already have 200+ actual reviews of the game. LTTP you want to know what the person feels like about the game, not write something we already read and knew by reading a brochure.
He did say this 6-years after the fact. I didn't even pay attention to the Lttp. I was busy reading OP. But, I get your point too. I'm not by any means short-handed for discussion and I ptobably couldn't type a decent Lttp myself either.

Thread helped though. I hadn't thought to open mine this year. Who knows...could already be looking at the next 3D Mario game by the time I was going to play it.

TL;DR. I get you and point made.

Playing this game and Mario Bros Deluxe, I liked Deluxe much more. In Odyssey youre running around exploring and stuff which is fine, but for me I prefer Mario to be a 2D platformer. Odyssey was a lot of empty running around.
I really don't like the New Super Mario Bros series, every time I go back to give it a chance I always bounce right off it TBH

I still don’t understand why we never say a DLC for it. Nintendo probably had some ideas and decided to save them for a new game instead.

At one point after the launch I was nearly sure, that isle delefino from Sunshine will be a DLC, because there were some rumors.

Ozzie666

Well crafted game, but it did get boring and needed some breaks. Considering it was a 2017 game on the hardware aswell. Controls are fluid as ever with plenty of charm. Can't really knock the game but hard top impress after Galaxy. 2017 was a heck of a year with this and Zelda, really set the tone. Where can they go next with a fun mechanic to base the entire game around. Like many, I enjoyed the mix of 3D and 2D segments.

I think even inside Nintendo they know very well that Odissey isn't a fantastic game.
That's why they never talk about It and there is not a direct sequel on Switch.
In the next console we'll see another Mario, maybe Super Galaxy.

gtabro

Very creative but like never I sold it as soon as I was done with it. Way, WAY too easy, a waste of a ton of creative levels in my eyes, so I didn't feel like keeping it in my collection. Felt like a baby game.

Marvel14

Banned
Yeah it reads like dude is trying out for a Digital Foundry job when 6 years on we're just interested in how much he enjoyed it.

Re-reviewing a six year old game where there are 200 reviews on metacritic with an average of 97/100 - bit of a waste of time maybe?

Best Mario game of all time. The controls, the levels, the powers all top tier. It's super creative and really lets loose with celebrating Mario's entire history. First game I played on Switch, and a perfect reintroduction to console gaming after several disappointing years. It's a very special game. Definitely my GOTY 2017.

clarky

Gold Member
Re-reviewing a six year old game where there are 200 reviews on metacritic with an average of 97/100 - bit of a waste of time maybe?
Guess you don't spend much time around these part huh? Not really the point of a LTTP, the clue is in the title.

On topic, not the best mario for me. Obviously still great but found the main core game way too easy and couldn't be arsed getting the rest of the moons once i'd "finished" the meat of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom