• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

I'm trying following this thread, especially in order to comprehend how much the defective PS4 units represent the whole shipments across US. Are there estimates of any kind updated to...today, let's say? The fact is that, on one hand, I perfectly know this is the first launch in the social era; then, problems will be talked about and known much, much, much more than in the past...but, on the other, I can't say looking at all these reports is not giving to me some doubts, even if little.

If possible, I think a sort of recap in the OP would be pretty useful for those who can't read the last pages for any kind of reason. Such a recap could be updated once in a day.

http://youtu.be/Gfr0LeX80YA

"Corporate Slaves Spreading Lies About PS4 Hardware Failure"

ElRenoRaven

http://youtu.be/Gfr0LeX80YA

"Corporate Slaves Spreading Lies About PS4 Hardware Failure"

Not going to even bother listening to filth like that. Yes yes almost everyone who have broken PS4's are coporate slaves spreading lies. Almost reminds me of a lot of Xbox fans when the red ring of death started. They were in denial for the longest time and attacking people saying they were lying etc. Well we all know what happened with that. Not saying this is going to be anywhere near that level mind you. But this is some of the same level of crap.

Vestal

Gold Member
Man this thread is depressing as fuck.

I am not getting a ps4 for the time being cause I went with the Xbox one. However my heart goes out to my fellow gaffers.

Hopefully this shit gets calmer as the days go by and it is not too wide spread. Hope those with bad consoles can get new working one soon.

It will be interesting to see further down the line if there was a common link between all these hardware failures. Part of me just thinks that the firmware was simply not ready yet either.

Good luck and stay strong PS4 owners.

Not going to even bother listening to filth like that. Yes yes almost everyone who have broken PS4's are coporate slaves spreading lies. Almost reminds me of a lot of Xbox fans when the red ring of death started. They were in denial for the longest time and attacking people saying they were lying etc. Well we all know what happened with that. Not saying this is going to be anywhere near that level mind you. But this is some of the same level of crap.

He mentions all this in the video.

Mashing

So I was able to swap my broken PS4 for a new one at the Sony store in Houston (Thanks for the heads up on that). The store clerk had said that ALL returns were from Amazon bought systems and that none sold at their store had been returned. Someone really screwed over Amazon.

The process was painless. I was in and out in 5 minutes (the drive took an hour).

djshauny

Banned
So I was able to swap my broken PS4 for a new one at the Sony store in Houston (Thanks for the heads up on that). The store clerk had said that ALL returns were from Amazon bought systems and that none sold at their store had been returned. Someone really screwed over Amazon.

Yeah something isnt quite right.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

a) Yay you have a working PS3
b) Tell us mfg date + place
c) Amazon sounds like they got the majority of a shitty run somewhere. Tell us date for more info.

Got my PS4 replaced today. Went to the Sony Store in Menlo Park Mall (Edison NJ) and swapped my BLoD Amazon unit.

Three other people were in front of me with the same issue, another guy behind me had a BLoD Taco Bell unit. The employee said that he's replaced nine already and that I was lucky cause they only had like two units left. Felt bad for the dude, he was very nice and as soon as he was done replacing one PS4 another person would come in lol.

They fill out a page of paperwork with your contact info, place of purchase, original and replacement serial number and that's it:
Holy shit, that's not good. So this is a real issue, huh?

I feel bad for all of those with busted systems

Edit: Amazon huh? Well it's good that they'll be able to track the problem down really quickly, it's very likely that it's not a design flaw

Mashing

I'm going to update my system via USB. Heard someone had a problem with the system update through the internet so I want to avoid that at all costs.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. So it's really sounding like Amazon got a bad batch. That really has to suck for them and Sony too.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
a) Yay you have a working PS4
b) Tell us mfg date + place
c) Amazon sounds like they got the majority of a shitty run somewhere. Tell us date for more info.

FTFY :p

And I guess more than 90% of all complaints I've seen are from PS4's from Amazon. That's weird.

Y2Kev

suddenly thinking I should cancel my xb1 amazon order, lol :\

It's not the packaging. I doubt it is the handling. There is a manufacturing flaw. It's not solely Amazon consoles either. We'll hear more this week, trust me.

Jburton

Banned
Holy shit, that's not good. So this is a real issue, huh?

I feel bad for all of those with busted systems

Edit: Amazon huh? Well it's good that they'll be able to track the problem down really quickly, it's very likely that it's not a design flaw

I have seen this phrase in a few posts now "so this is a real issue huh?"

What do you mean, endemic?

Afraid not as we would have at best guess tens of thousands being returned maybe even the hundreds of thousands if it was an endemic issue and that is not the case.

One bad batch could account for all these issues.

Majorly sucks for those poor souls who are unfortunate to have a bad machine.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

It's not the packaging. I doubt it is the handling. There is a manufacturing flaw. It's not solely Amazon consoles either. We'll hear more this week, trust me.

Yeah, honestly... :(

INow that I remember, Amazon is responsible for like 60% of all PS4 preorders iirc... that's why the number of faulty consoles is higher with them. Man, Sony is screwed if it is indeed a manufacturing flaw. Goddamn it.

ElRenoRaven

Is it possible Amazon didn't get a bad batch but something happened in their handling of the consoles that messed them up?

I don't think so. They don't handle them any different then any other retailer and you're not seeing a ton from any of the other online retailers. It appears that probably 99 percent of them are Amazon bought consoles which could mean they're all from a couple batches at that one plant. That actually kind of jives with the rumor that some of them were sabotaging PS4s.

luckily for me it has been smooth sailing... (other then server overloads which made me not able to patch my PS4)

Yet like what a lot of people have already stated, it seems that I can't talk in MP sessions via the headset

The headset works with livestreaming but trying to communicate with other player in a MP match isn't possible at all

Jedi2016

Once in a while my PS4 sounds like it is powering down or maybe the fan cuts power. Does that sound normal? Just kinda a power shutting down type noise. Paranoid since it's my second one...
Sort of a whining noise winding downward? That's the Blu-ray drive spinning down. Since the disc data is cached to the HDD, it only needs to spin the disc for about a minute to authenticate, after that it spins down. Perfectly normal. If you're not sure, wait at the desktop until you hear it, then go to play whatever game's in the drive. You should hear it spin up for a minute or two, then spin down. See if that's the sound you're hearing.

It seems that a lot of the problems people are having happen pretty early on, within the first few hours, or not even able to get it going in the first place. Is that still the case? I'm on day two now, got at least 8-10 hours into Black Flag, plus at least half an hour each with four other games, plus downloading a few titles from the Store. Probably a good 15-18 hours of uptime all told. Is it safe to say I'm in the clear?

carlos

so I could use some help here, I thought everything was alright with my unit but after downloading the ps plus games, it turns out something is horribly wrong with the audio.

contrast sounds as if it were a GBA game with the voices hardly understandable. the ps4 menus have this electronic sound to them, but it seems like its not supposed to be this way. Its noticeable on resogun too, but not as much with all the chaos going on.

The sound is fine when using the output through headset option.

I'm using an old trusty hdmi cable, so is this a case of the hdmi port on the ps4 itself being messed up?
I haven't seen this issue mentioned on here before....

gonna try it on another tv with another cable just in case, but I don't have a good feeling about this :(

Sturm

Banned
The PS4 is OS is definitely quirky. This will not be easy for some people. To go online you have to have PSN account for multiplayer, and it would not let me skip the step to enter a credit card. I reluctantly gave them mine but think that is crap if they force this, and not all families will have one.

It is not always clear if a game is installed all the way, if a download needed is download and installed, or just downloaded. Sometimes you have to start a game to install the update it seems.

For anyone having problems playing COD ghosts multiplayer...

New PS4, COD ghosts first game to insert into console.

Game installed. Prompted for download update. Already had another game downloading.

Went back to home screen since game had a download.

Tried to play game again, when hitting multiplayer, game just froze.

Next went to downloads, multiplayer update was not there. I then deleted the game from PS4, put disk back in. Then clicked on multiplayer and it prompted for download.

Went back to home screen and waited for multiplayer updated to confirm it downloaded.

Clicked on COD again. Multiplayer would not load. Went to home screen.

At this point I realized I was switched between game and home screen, game never exited. Started another application and PS4 said it would close COD ghosts.

Then I opened COD again, which this time meant it was loading the game up again, and this time it said it was updating the game install. Clicked on multiplayer and it worked.
Wait what? You need a creditcard to make a PSN account? I guess it's 'normal' in the US, but we in europe almost never use credit cards. Everyone I know up untill the age of 30 never had a credit card..

This will be a massive backlash in the EU... and sony deserves it if they don't change this. It's rediculous.

Y2Kev

Yeah, honestly... :(

INow that I remember, Amazon is responsible for like 60% of all PS4 preorders iirc... that's why the number of faulty consoles is higher with them. Man, Sony is screwed if it is indeed a manufacturing flaw. Goddamn it.

They're not screwed if they take care of it responsibly and quickly and future devices are not affected. This is why I'm trying to determine from the people who got replacements when and where they were made.

Your PS4 is ok though?

Yep! Working like a champ.

Mashing

So the new PS4 I got from the Sony store is the same manufacturing plant and manufacturing date (yantai sept 2013). It's working just fine so far. Performing system update now.

Wait what? You need a creditcard to make a PSN account? I guess it's 'normal' in the US, but we in europe almost never use credit cards. Everyone I know up untill the age of 30 never had a credit card..

This will be a massive backlash in the EU... and sony deserves it if they don't change this. It's rediculous.

Ehhhh WHAT? Im from Sweden and everyone I know got at least one credit card. How do you pay for stuff??? Cash?

I'd love to do this and camp out for one, but I paid for it in amazon credit. I think I'll just take my chances

panty

What the hell are you talking about? I'm finnish and I've had a credit card since I was 22 and almost everyone under 30 has a credit card. It's not normal to NOT have a credit card if you're 30.

Y2Kev

So the new PS4 I got from the Sony store is the same manufacturing plant and manufacturing date (yantai sept 2013). It's working just fine so far. Performing system update now.

I just don't know, argh :(

Its not?

EDIT

You are right. It just says this

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."

EDIT 2

You seen this Y2Kev?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90093395&postcount=185
I dunno if I trust Amazon CS as the source here.

Mine works fine and it was manufactured at Hongfujin Yantai, Sep 2013 and bought from Amazon. This tread is freaking me out though. I was hoping that mine was not from that plant and that month.

Tonguer

I'm still watching Die Hard and the disc hasn't ejected yet, so here's hoping

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya - hope the work with Sony support clears it up and there's never another issue, smooth sailing...

My opinion on my unit (just my opinion, mind) is that's its something in the optical drive in my unit - everything else was fine, download games play great, no other issues (well, discounting PSN turbulence, which will go away or get resolved). I chose to return mine; I don't really want it 'fixed' and live with it for years, I really want (expect) a unit that works right OOTB. If that means I have to shop around or wait a bit to get mine - disappointing, but I'm willing to do that.

For PS3 to PS4 games, do I always need my PS3 disc in or just once?

Just curious, as I might get the $10 upgrade for my step brother's copy of COD:Ghosts.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I dunno if I trust Amazon CS as the source here.

Yeah thats why I said it wasn't really proof of anything. Could just be a misinformed service rep. When speaking to them, I did get the distinct impression that they are aware that there are defects though (as they should)

Top Bottom