• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

BraXzy

Oh God oh God oh God... I'm freaking out.

I just tried to boot up my PS4 to have a few games of Rocket League and nothing showed up on the screen. Double checked the HDMI and everything but nothing.

The console has a white light and although I think I did once, I'm not getting a connection/sound through my wireless headphones anymore. Is my console bricked? Damnit damnit damnit :S

I've tried turning off holding the button down and then holding the power button for 7 seconds waiting for the second beep but it still doesn't boot into safe mode or whatever.

chekhonte

Damn, my ps4 is having an extreme case of the random disc eject and it's out of waranty.

Unplugging it will fix it for a couple of hours but I have to do it each time and that window where it works properly is getting smaller and smaller.

I'm such an idiot for buying a console, they're a pile of junk.

cjp

Seems like my DS4 is fucked. I charge it up fully, come back to it the next day and it won't turn on. Plug it into the PS4 and it reports the battery is flat.

Anyone experienced or heard of anything similar?

kriskrosbbk

Guys,I am using HDMI from PS4 to TV and optical from TV to my home cinema for sound.In audio settings on PS4 ,I set it to HDMI OUT and bitstream (DTS) .My sound goes away for a second or two then comes back and this is happening every 30-40 mins. Not sure why , any clue,anyone?

bigol

Same issue. I have a 2.1 speaker set connected to the TV 3.5 mm jack. Once every two-three hours the sound goes away for a second and comes back.

It happens with several games. Tried changing cable,TV hdmi port, nothing fixed that. Speakers are good because this only happens with Ps4. I really would like to know if it's a firmware issue or not.

Sometimes i can go on for days without it happening, sometimes it happens twice the same day.

rapid32.5

Damn, my ps4 is having an extreme case of the random disc eject and it's out of waranty.

Unplugging it will fix it for a couple of hours but I have to do it each time and that window where it works properly is getting smaller and smaller.

I'm such an idiot for buying a console, they're a pile of junk.

Is that an issue with the console or latest firmware update ?
Because mine has started ejecting discs right after the latest firmware had been installed, nothing seem to work to fix it.

Mecha

I bought a used PS4 without a HDD a while back, and recently bought and put one in it. I haven't been able to install any firmware because my PS4 won't connect properly to my Samsung TV. Trying to boot the PS4 normally gives me a "not supported mode" error on my TV, and when I try going into safe mode it turns off the PS4 rather than booting safe mode after 7 seconds. Is there any possible way to get my safe mode to work? I don't know what could be the problem.

UV-6

I've been having issues with my PS4 over the last month and thought it best to record my problem and solution (I hope) for others as a log.

So a month ago I powered off the PS4 with a disc still in. I always take the disc out before powering off, but my mind must've been elsewhere and so I forgot to remove the disc. I quickly turned the PS4 back on to remove the disc, but the eject button would not work - neither the physical eject touch button or via the menu.

I googled and found a solution to remove the disc manually. There's a screw, called the Manual Eject Screw, which forces the disc out when turned anti-clockwise with a Philips screwdriver.

This was a only temporary solution however because now I would occasionally have issues with the PS4 not accepting a disc, i.e. the drive would not suck the disc in. I figured this was because I fiddled with the Manual Eject Screw earlier and so I went back to that and this time turned the screw clockwise.

Today, I had the same issue of not being to able to insert the disc in. I tried my temporary solution but nada. It just would not work. So after an hour or so of trying different things, what made it work for me was going into safe mode, first rebuilding the database and then reinstalling the latest firmware via the internet. At the moment the PS4 is functioning normally.

Anyone else had similar issues like this before?

Faenix1

Not sure if this is a hardware issue or not so forgive me: Is there any particular reason I can't seem to go under 12 GB left on my HDD?

Every time I get that low I'm unable to download anything. Had 13-ish left and went to download Gauntlet (About 2-3 GB) and my PS4 kept telling me it can't download and directing me to the management screen. Kind of annoying I seem to have 12 GB that's unusable.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I've been having issues with my PS4 over the last month and thought it best to record my problem and solution (I hope) for others as a log.

So a month ago I powered off the PS4 with a disc still in. I always take the disc out before powering off, but my mind must've been elsewhere and so I forgot to remove the disc. I quickly turned the PS4 back on to remove the disc, but the eject button would not work - neither the physical eject touch button or via the menu.

I googled and found a solution to remove the disc manually. There's a screw, called the Manual Eject Screw, which forces the disc out when turned anti-clockwise with a Philips screwdriver.

This was a only temporary solution however because now I would occasionally have issues with the PS4 not accepting a disc, i.e. the drive would not suck the disc in. I figured this was because I fiddled with the Manual Eject Screw earlier and so I went back to that and this time turned the screw clockwise.

Today, I had the same issue of not being to able to insert the disc in. I tried my temporary solution but nada. It just would not work. So after an hour or so of trying different things, what made it work for me was going into safe mode, first rebuilding the database and then reinstalling the latest firmware via the internet. At the moment the PS4 is functioning normally.

Anyone else had similar issues like this before?

Odd. Is your console out of warranty? If you're brave enough you can open it up and check the ribbon cables for the BD drive. Make sure they're inserted properly, runs some tests while the shell is off... etc...

Anyway, I just wanted to let y'all mow that if you're having trouble with overheating after changing your thermal paste it may be due to insulation. I just discovered this.

I applied it off center and it didn't cover a third of the chip once it pressed against the heatsink. When I opened it up I reapplied without cleaning it off and basically engulfed the chip in a relatively thick coat, especially an outer rim.

This trapped heat in and began causing my console to drop image and audio intermittently.

So, about half a grain of rice RIGHT in the center of the chip should do for transferring heat from chip to heatsink efficiently.

8byte

Banned
Does anyone else have issues with their DS4's not syncing after the PS4 has been put into rest mode? I OFTEN have to power all the way down, and restart in order for my controllers to work.

It's weird.

Maloney

My Dual Shock controllers left analogue stick is not registering movement properly.

If I push the stick up, it only registers movement when the stick is all the way up, and when I push the stick right, it goes diagonally down and right.

Does anyone have any experience in replacing an analogue stick? My controller is out of warranty so I have nothing to lose by trying a repair.

Any hints or tips would be great.

My Dual Shock controllers left analogue stick is not registering movement properly.

If I push the stick up, it only registers movement when the stick is all the way up, and when I push the stick right, it goes diagonally down and right.

Does anyone have any experience in replacing an analogue stick? My controller is out of warranty so I have nothing to lose by trying a repair.

Any hints or tips would be great.

pretty sure that would require getting a new analog box and soldering it in. I had the same issue and just replaced the controller.

on the PS4 browser it's easy to see the problem. holding right produced an erratic down/right movement and holding left produced a up/left movement.

NewDust

So on top of the irritating Database-rebuild-bug, I noticed when powering off my console for standby, it goes initially in standby, wakes up to sync saves and updates and then does stay on in a low powermode.... Anyone have been able to fix this?

I have replaced the hdd with the Samsung M9T hdd, for what it's worth.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Oh God oh God oh God... I'm freaking out.

I just tried to boot up my PS4 to have a few games of Rocket League and nothing showed up on the screen. Double checked the HDMI and everything but nothing.

The console has a white light and although I think I did once, I'm not getting a connection/sound through my wireless headphones anymore. Is my console bricked? Damnit damnit damnit :S

I've tried turning off holding the button down and then holding the power button for 7 seconds waiting for the second beep but it still doesn't boot into safe mode or whatever.

I know this is an old post, but how did you go here?

Did you try and new HDMI cable? Different TV? Different Receiver or anything?

Maloney

pretty sure that would require getting a new analog box and soldering it in. I had the same issue and just replaced the controller.

on the PS4 browser it's easy to see the problem. holding right produced an erratic down/right movement and holding left produced a up/left movement.

Yeah I think it'll probably be better to just get a new controller. The replacement analogue sticks are so cheap I might give it a go though, can't bare to throw it away lol

PS4 control Problem?

Out of no where the circle and triangle buttons have gotten stiff and hard to press? I normally keep my control plugged in since i sit so close to the tv but in the last 4 days i have lost connecting twice now?

I am currently having 2 issues.

Nearly every time I turn the console off it does the thing where it takes a longer time and then it beeps.

And now its randomly going into rest mode after I play a game for a while. Tried cleaning the buttons and that stopped it for a few days but its back to that billshit again now.

Meh3D

Well my PS4 is dead! D.E.D dead! When turning it on, it makes a clicking sound, blue light comes on, makes another sound and shuts off.

Its a launch PS4 from Amazon, now I'm a Wii U only owner.

This just happened to mine. I had it in storage for a couple of months. Took it out to playboy again and it's doing the exact same thing. is this common? My unit was also a launch PS4 from Amazon.

MrGerbils

Hey guys, new PS4 owner here and it's not going well. This is going to be a long post because I want to describe everything that's been going on to see if I'm just super unlucky or if these are any known issues.

I bought a PS4 a week or two ago (CoD 500gb bundle), took it home, set it up, and then put it in to rest mode that night while updates and games downloaded. In the morning it wouldn't turn on at all. It would light up the blue light, my tv would flash as if something was going to come on screen, and then it would die down. I unplugged it and moved it to a different TV and it turned on. I had read in the internet about safe mode and rebuilding the system, so I did that... then, rest mode, same issue.

At this point I thought I had a faulty PS4, so I exchanged it at GameStop and got a new one.

This second PS4 had the exact same issue. If I put it in rest mode and let it sit for a bit, it wont turn back on unless I unplug the power cord, let that sit for a minute, and then try again. I figured there was no way I got two bad PS4s in a row so I started googling for problems people have and if maybe there was something on my end that I could change.

The first thought is overheating, but I live in San Francisco, and don't even have heating in my living room, and have the PS4 sitting on top of a credenza with nothing around it other than the edge of my LCD tv about 3 inches away.

I found some posts about PS4 having trouble with sleep mode, so I tried shutting it all the way down every time. This makes it work better, but still have issues sometimes. This second PS4 has actually shut down in the middle of me playing Firewatch actually, so not a sleep issue.

I found some posts about maybe there being an issue with losing wifi causing it to freak out. I live in an apartment in the city so there's lots of wifi interference so could totally be a problem. So I dug a really long ethernet cable out of my garage and hard wired it to the network. Still had the same issue.

I’ve read that there could be corrupt data on the HDD, so I did a full restore: same issue.

Next I found that some people had problems with surge protectors, so I plugged straight in to the wall: same issue.

It's an old apartment building with flickery lights sometimes, so I thought maybe it wasn't a surge problem but a dropped current problem so I picked up an APC UPS from Best Buy to try out (because now I'm kinda losing my mind as to wtf is going on): still the same issue.

TLDR: list of things it's not: wifi/ethernet, surge/wall/stabilized and battery backed up power supply, lack of air flow, sleep/full shut down, HDD needs full restore.

At this point I'm going to return this PS4 as well and try my luck with a third one (if GS will even let me do it again), and I'm going to from the start keep it plugged in to the UPS and ethernet and see how it goes.

I've found a lot of posts on the internet about PS4s that randomly shut down, but not quite enough for it to seem like a 360 RROD type problem or anything. But figured I'd post here to see if anyone else has experienced it, and more importantly if anyone has fixed it?

Mahonay

Banned
My console has also had crazy power issues, here's what I did.

For the past year+ my PS4 had been extremely loud and it had been randomly turning it's self on and off. I know it's from my previous apartment where the only spot for the console in the shitty shared entertainment area was underneath it, on the dusty ass floor.

A couple weeks ago I pulled off the top cover from my PS4 and took the hard drive out. I don't have a security tool so I couldn't take more off. I read up and people said to be careful about blowing canned air in because you could mess something up inside, and you could also just push dust further into the console. But with the hard drive out I could see where the air flows through to vent out the back. I carefully removed the dust caked around the edges of the console, making sure it blew outward instead of in. And before I closed it up I did some lighter sprays of air through the front of the console, through the fan and out the back vent. Just got some of that air pushing dust off the fan and directly out of the console as best I could.

People had suggested vacuuming the dust out instead, but since I've been living in apartments with hardwood floors, I don't even own a vacuum at the moment.

My PS4 has been quieter now and no longer turns on and off on it's own. Great success! Hopefully it holds up.

MrGerbils

I'd take a shot at blowing dust out, but I'm dealing with two separate brand new consoles so probably not my issue. I hope it works out for you though!

8byte

Banned
Whenever my PS4 goes into rest mode, all of my controllers unsync. They will not sync until I turn it off (full power down) and on again.

Ideas?

WOW!!! Cleaning my PS4 reduce the sound level dramatically.

I opened up my PS4(torx 9 and 0 screwdriver) compressed air to the fan and heat sink area, because it was filthy. Knocked off about 90% of the dust that has been collected since launch day. Such an easy and quick fix.

woen

Hi.

It had trouble getting the disk in the console since a few weeks but I managed to get it in. But today it wouldn’t swallow it completely/wouldn't get in. Now it swallowed it completely but doesn’t read it (it doesn’t seem to be fit in the reader so that it can be read), it can’t eject it. I'll need to buy a screwdriver to be able to eject it manually, but this is not

Has this happened to people ? Is it a common issue ? Can it get fixed or do I need to do the manual procedure and hope it goes into the PS4 each time I want to play another game on disk ?

I don't have warranty anymore and it cost 150€ (or more) to get if fixed by Sony, but I don't live in the country where I bought it so I don't know if I can get it fixed while I'm abroad.

Thanks!

Ryan_MSF

Hoping it's alright to post in thread!

I've been having a number of issues for a while with my PS4, and it's driving me now to the point of craziness.

I seem to be having serious network issues. When trying to load my friends list, It can take up to 30-40 seconds, however the majority of times it will just fail to load whatsoever, and on backing out of the friends list and going back in, nothing will appear about from empty boxes where my friends list would be. I have the same issue with Messages.

When I go into Party, due to not having access to my friends list it's very touch and go, sometimes it will create the party, sometimes it won't - very frustrating.

Netflix hasn't worked for me ever since i downloaded it around a month ago. I get the initial loading screen, however it just gives me constant error codes, all of which the internet is not able to give me any real information based on a quick google search.

I cannot stream on Twitch due to not being able to get past the login screen, so that's also an issue.

I've had my PS4 for over a year now, and like the idiot I am, I never paid the extra for extended warranty - realising at this point what a mistake i've made. I'm connected to my PS4 via ethernet, and I have the same problems via WiFi.

I know Sony charge a fair amount for repairs, am I about to take a wallet hit GAF?

D-Stubbs

Screen started to flicker with what looks like white snow and sometimes it goes to complete snow. Now, the TV is saying no signal at all. I've tried several HDMI cables, unplugged/re-plugged every cord, messed with both console & TV video settings, and plugged the PS4 straight into the TV rather than through a splitter.

Here's the funny thing. The PS4 works on a different TV and on a computer monitor. There's also an Xbox One connected straight to the TV and that works fine.

What could possibly be wrong? Everything seems to contradict itself.

Gritesh

My ps4pro disc drive broke today.

Won't suck in a disc.

I've literally used the disc drive 3 times since buying it.

Once for tomb raider.

Once for vr demo disc.

Once for game of thrones last night.

Ejected game of thrones tonight went to pit in Witcher 3 disc, won't suck it in.

Tried everything looks like disc drive is broken sucks cause I've had it for 6 days passed in store exchange eligibility.

Will have to call sony tomorrow and process an exchange UGHHHHHHHH.

So my PS4 just bricked during the For Honor download in rest mode. Woke up, PS4 reboots into black screen. TV still recognizes the resolution 1080p and 576p during safe mode reset, but only black screen. PS4 1200 revision was barely a year old. Of course I tried out different cables and HDMI ports on the TV but no change.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

So I remember this being a thing with the PS3 slims, but does anybody else's PS4/PS4 Pro make like a 'popping' sound/noise when it's been turned off or in rest? I think, with the PS3, folks were saying it was due to heat expansion of the plastic chassis?

athrun5

Neophyte
what firmware? not sure as it was the lastest firmware that was installed in 2017 julyish.

purchased from where? Walmart online store.

what is your A/V set up like? HDMI on a old insignia tv at of course 1080p.

what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p but I will settle for just being usable.

were you able to get any video signal or none at all? It doesnt even turn on anymore.

can you hear audio? like I said before it doesnt even turn on anymore.

Additional notes: I had a powersurge and my surge protector failed, afterwords it would only beep then turn off. I would have to unplug and replug to make it beep just to turn off. I left it for about 6months till i was able to get myself a powersupply as I was told that was what I needed for my ps4. I replaced it but it didn't work, so I put the old one in and it gave the same result. Not even a beep would happen with the old powersupply in it. Now its basically dead unless someone knows of a way to fix it.

VulcanRaven

My PS4 says Rebuilding Database for few seconds every time I turn it on. It has been doing that for few years. It works fine so I'm not that worried. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder what could cause it? I did rebuilt the database at one point to see if it would go away but it didn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom