• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

spons

So when I hit the power button the blue light comes on for a second, I hear a click sound and then it shuts off. Its a launch unit. Any ideas?

What happens if you keep holding it for 7 seconds? Should boot into safe mode. Otherwise I'm guessing the hard drive, those always make clicking noises when busted.

Two crucial things to note:

1) RGB settings
2) Make sure your TV isn't overscanning. If you have your aspect ratio set to 16:9, sadly - it probably is. Correct this.

popeutlal

What happens if you keep holding it for 7 seconds? Should boot into safe mode. Otherwise I'm guessing the hard drive, those always make clicking noises when busted.
Same thing, a click and then nothing. But I did manage to fix it...Google "ps4 knee fix".

I'm in desperate need of help!
My PS4 is stuck in "system check" mode. It stops at 26 % and doesn't budge.
I entered safe mode hoping options 4 or 5 would do the trick, but nothing!
And I don't want to have to delete everything otherwise I'll never be able to play P.T. ever again... Help me Gaf!

darkwing

I'm in desperate need of help!
My PS4 is stuck in "system check" mode. It stops at 26 % and doesn't budge.
I entered safe mode hoping options 4 or 5 would do the trick, but nothing!
And I don't want to have to delete everything otherwise I'll never be able to play P.T. ever again... Help me Gaf!

it happened when you turned on your PS4?

I'd wait for as long as possible for the system check to finish
Has anyone encountered a similar issue around here?
I'll try it out. It almost instantly goes up to 26 % - But it just stops. Doesn't move an inch. I know it's E3 time and everyone's hyped for E3 - But I'd appreciate any help that I could get!

darkwing

Has anyone encountered a similar issue around here?
I'll try it out. It almost instantly goes up to 26 % - But it just stops. Doesn't move an inch. I know it's E3 time and everyone's hyped for E3 - But I'd appreciate any help that I could get!

how long did you wait? it sometimes pauses for a while but gets suddenly jumps to like 70% - 80%

how long did you wait? it sometimes pauses for a while but gets suddenly jumps to like 70% - 80%
About 20 minutes now... Still stuck at 26 % and still waiting. I really want to fix this!
I can't even properly enjoy E3 with my console fucking up like this :-/

Edit: This has never lasted this long!
Edit 2: Nothing's happening... Goddamn it! :-/
Been about 35 minutes now..

It's almost been an hour now. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve me deleting everything? I'm sorry for bumping the thread, but I really need to fix this :-/

PrimeRib_

Just discovered this thread, scanned for a solution but didn't see anyone posting a similar issue.

Having intermittent random shutdowns, for no discernible reason. It's a launch console and I'm always extremely careful with hardware. It sits positioned atop my media console, out in the open, not tucked inside a hot cabinet where it would easily overheat. The system just started shutting off on its own, a few months, sometime after the (I think 1.10 patch). Sometimes after an hour or two of intense gaming, or within a few minutes fresh off a cold boot - it's intermittent shutdowns here all but rule out overheating. I tend to believe that since it continued to occur after several large patches, it's unlikely a result of firmware. I also replaced the stock 500GB hard drive with a 1.5TB drive, and the random shutdowns have occurred on both drives.

I'll be in the middle of a game and it will audibly beep once, then give the "PS4 is shutting down" message before turning off. rebooting gives the "you didn't shut down correctly"bootup screen.

So far, it's happened in:
Infamous: Second Son
Shadows of Mordor
GTAV
Witcher 3 and others

To date, the only temporary fix has been to rough it up a bit. I discovered this when checking the power and HDMI connections for the 15th time after a particularly frustrating afternoon where the system shut down down on me 3-4 times in a span of 15 minutes. I turned the system vertical to check the connections and let it slam back down horizontally a little rougher than intended. But it did solve the system reboots for several weeks. Till then, it has been a ritual where every 3-4 weeks or so, I need to smack up my PS4 to keep it in line. I'm thinking it must be internal but I have no idea what to even look for at this point. Rather than pay $150 to get a refurb, I'm hoping I can hold out for another year until the eventual redesign models.

Any ideas, GAF?

Reule

I'm not having the images for my DLC show up under Related Item for any of my games with DLC. It says it's installed but just a default image instead of whatever DLC it should be displaying. Tried shutting down and restarting but no dice. I'll try Rebuilding Database but just curious if anyone else has the problem.

Checked my girlfriend's console with her games and everything is fine. I don't know.

Edit: Rebuilt Database, still the same.

Has anyone had the problem where their Dual Shock 4 Controller no longer synches w/ the PS4? I tried resetting the DS4 pressing the button in the back and re-connecting the controller and no luck. The controller charges via USB, but I cannot press the PS Button on it to operate the PS4. This is like that for all my controllers. I can use the controller in safe mode, but not outside of safe mode. I tried re-updating my PS3, restored to default settings, and rebuilt database...but no luck.

Anyone run into a similar issue before?

ShutterMunster

Got a strange one here kids.

Created a partition on my 2TB external to back up my PS4 hard drive too. At first I did it for around 500GB in exFAT. PS4 recognized it fine, but when I went to back it up it said "0Kb of free space left. Not enough free space available on USB storage"

Strange. So I re did the partition this time in FAT32 and for 700GB, restarted the PS4 and the same thing! Anyone run into back up issues on their PS4? I'd really hate to have to re-download these damn games all over again.

rafaelr

well, after my ps4 sounded like it was about to take off for auraxium whenever i played planetside2 (even after replacing the thermal paste), i had enough and ordered a replacement fan from a console shop in the uk. today it arrived and i replaced the old one.
result: fuck me, that´s quiet!
so happy i finally did this. of course it´s not completely silent, but the difference is incredible.

Has anyone had the problem where their Dual Shock 4 Controller no longer synches w/ the PS4? I tried resetting the DS4 pressing the button in the back and re-connecting the controller and no luck. The controller charges via USB, but I cannot press the PS Button on it to operate the PS4. This is like that for all my controllers. I can use the controller in safe mode, but not outside of safe mode. I tried re-updating my PS3, restored to default settings, and rebuilt database...but no luck.

Anyone run into a similar issue before?
Does it say "there are too many usb devices connected" or something like that? misread

So i think my ps4 is dead.

I was encountering the blue light and then turning off problem for a couple of weeks. I fixed it by holding the power bitton for 7 seconds etc.... but now it wont even turn on why i hold the button for 7 seconds.

Is it worth it to go through sony or should i just buy a new one once a deal comes up ?

darkwing

So i think my ps4 is dead.

I was encountering the blue light and then turning off problem for a couple of weeks. I fixed it by holding the power bitton for 7 seconds etc.... but now it wont even turn on why i hold the button for 7 seconds.

Is it worth it to go through sony or should i just buy a new one once a deal comes up ?

is it under warranty? avail it if possible

Sinister

Neo Member
So i just bought my second PS4. Close to two years in and Sony is still putting out PS4's with shit ass matte plastic. My first one had a big fade mark on the front and now second has fade spots on the top. I chalked the first one up to quality control issues at launch but it shouldn't be that difficult to make a uniform piece of black plastic. Question is.. does anyone have a black model that DOESNT some type of hazing in the plastic? Because if they're out there i'm ready to go fishing until i finally find one.

bounchfx

just tried to play rocket league, and the main menu is nothing but blue colors flashing. After that, I go back to the PS4 menu, and theres red dots everywhere like it's fucking axiom verge or something. I'm pretty sure it's the GPU and I'm kind of frustrated. Anyone run into this?

Cth

Ok, I think I've figured this out, but wanted reassurance I don't have a faulty machine that's dying :D

I had moved my PS4 upstairs for a couple of weeks, having no issues. This past weekend, I moved it back downstairs with the XB1 and WiiU and suddenly I started getting a black screen, occassionally static screens (this was after playing Game of Thrones for a few hours). I could hear the navbar when I moved the controller, but it wouldn't come back.

I unplugged it, thinking it had overheated possibly. I moved it back upstairs and had no problem. I read online it could have been interference with the other systems/cables.

Long story short, I read about a deep color fix but passed on it when I saw a suggestion that it could be the HDMI cable itself. Sure enough, I switched HDMI cables, and it works fine.

So, should I chalk it up to using a cheap HDMI cable, and if so, why was it not an issue prior to this?

stay gold

So my PS4 is only a few weeks old, I put a disc in yesterday and nothing happened, so I put another one in, same again. Not to worry, i'll give it a reboot and hopefully it's just a quirk. So I put it into rest mode and it goes off, only it doesn't actually go off, theres a blinking white light and I can't turn it back on or do anything so I have to pull the power plug. After that I get it back on and everything seems fine the rest of the day.

Today I go to play Batman and it takes longer to start up before giving me an error (Cannot start the application (CE-34706-0)), I got this a few times before trying to reboot, and now my console is stuck in rest mode again leaving me to pull the plug.

Are there any known firmware issues that could be causing this or does it sound goosed?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So my PS4 is only a few weeks old, I put a disc in yesterday and nothing happened, so I put another one in, same again. Not to worry, i'll give it a reboot and hopefully it's just a quirk. So I put it into rest mode and it goes off, only it doesn't actually go off, theres a blinking white light and I can't turn it back on or do anything so I have to pull the power plug. After that I get it back on and everything seems fine the rest of the day.

Today I go to play Batman and it takes longer to start up before giving me an error (Cannot start the application (CE-34706-0)), I got this a few times before trying to reboot, and now my console is stuck in rest mode again leaving me to pull the plug.

Are there any known firmware issues that could be causing this or does it sound goosed?

How packed is your HDD ? Is it a stock one?

Personal question:

What's the word on these cooling stands?

Do they just blow hot air back into the console?

carlo6529

Hey guys, was wondering if there was anyone here that could help me out or has maybe been in this jam before.

Basically my ps4 controller will not connect to my system. It flashes white and shows that it is fully functional. The system is not detecting the actual ps button when I boot up the system

These are the things that I've tried and in this particular order.

1. I pressed the hidden reset button on the back of the DS4 along with the PS button at the same time to reset the controller to the factory settings while the controller was plugged in with the usb adaptor but nothing changed.

2. I got my hands on a second PS4 controller with a different usb plug and tried to connect to my system but it did not work.

3. I restarted the system in "Safe Mode". The PS button actually worked here and aloud me to navigate through the Settings. This lead me to believe that the problem is not the controller.

4. I restored the "Default Settings" of the system, rebooted the system and tried to connect the controller but the system still could not detect the "PS Button".

5. I went back in to Safe Mode and clicked "Initialize PS4". I then rebooted the system again and tried to connect the controller but the system still could not detect the "PS Button".

6. I went back in to Safe Mode once again and clicked "Initialize PS4(Reinstall System Software)", as a last resort. I obtained the proper, full "System Software update", got the system to detect and install the file and then proceeded to reboot the system again and tried to connect the controller but the system still could not detect the "PS Button".

I don't know what else to do at this point. As far as I know, the system is completely wiped with nothing on it. Lost all of my data. I figured I'd reach out to GAF before contacting Sony themselves for support.

Has anyone gone through this before? Is my system fried? I did have a couple of cases where the system was not shutdown properly. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks~

UPDATE~ I contacted Sony support. Apparently I've done all I can and the system needs to be sent in for service. Will probably be a month by the time I get the system back. I've only had it for about 6 months and didn't play it much in that time.

Mepsi

Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me with my issue.

My PS4 switches between wanting to eject disks, and thinking that I'm trying to put a disk in so it makes the motor go.

It's quite annoying as it will eject disks as I'm trying to play games, or if I'm just playing digital will irritate me with the noise. I've tried the turn it off and unplug for 30 seconds but that didn't work, has anybody else had this issue and if so how has it been resolved, if it has at all?

EDIT: As a result of this problem my PS4 has itself shut off about 40-60+ times, and I'm thinking eventually my HDD will be totes broken.

I've been wrestling with an on/off issue with my PS4 for quite some time, but only recently has it been debilitating.

What happens is the PS4 loads up, and then I notice the screen flicker a bunch--there's lines and then it flicks from visuals to no visuals--as if it were trying to connect to the HDTV and there's some sort of connection issue.

I've tried 5 different HDMI cables including the stock one as well as 3 different HDTV's, and it's occurred on all of them. Sometimes the PS4 will boot up and play fine. Mostly, though, it starts up and does the flicker and shuts off.

Sometimes the error will happen when its in Safe Mode doing its HDD scan test, but mostly it's outside of Safe Mode.

I'm thinking it's a faulty HDMI port. I've had the PlayStation 4 since its original launch in 2013, and this started about two or three months after Destiny's launch.

I'm thinking of just getting the replacement repair plan and then sending it in that way, but maybe you guys have some tips.

Here's some things that worked before and things I've done:

• Turned off HDCP Link
  • Turned off multi HDMI
  • Cycle between all HDTV inputs--Line, A/V, Cable, etc--when booting PS4, and when the screen flickers.

So far I haven't seen anyone else with this issue, and I'm thinking it's just the HDMI port going out.

Melchiah

After the last system patch there's been an annoying problem. First it manifested when I changed Arkham Knight disc to Bloodborne, and the system didn't recognize it. It was fine after boot-up though. IIRC, the same didn't occur, when I changed it the other way around later on. Yesterday, I encountered a more severe problem when I changed from AK to Witcher. When I tried to put the system on rest mode, it just remained humming with a blinking white light. I managed to shut it off by pushing the power button for 5-10 seconds. Restarting the system didn't work until I ejected the disc.

I hope Sony fixes this ASAP.

Hyu

Neo Member
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me with my issue.

My PS4 switches between wanting to eject disks, and thinking that I'm trying to put a disk in so it makes the motor go.

It's quite annoying as it will eject disks as I'm trying to play games, or if I'm just playing digital will irritate me with the noise. I've tried the turn it off and unplug for 30 seconds but that didn't work, has anybody else had this issue and if so how has it been resolved, if it has at all?

I had a similar issue as well. Additionally to that my PS4 made the on/off beep noises.
I couldn't even start a game. Not sure if it's the same for you but my system was behaving like a disc was stuck in the drive.
This Sony Support link shows how to remove a stuck disc. It's a bit tricky to get to the screw but with a thin screwdriver it should work.
After doing what is described in the support article I started the system again and the issue was gone. Unfortunately now the eject button doesn't work anymore. Maybe I need to adjust the screw again or something but I'm too lazy for that.

So you might want to try manually ejecting when there are disc errors like that even though you don't have a stuck disc.

Paganmoon

Guessing DS4 problems can be posted here as well?

On one of my 4 DS4's, the left analog stick has become ubersensitive, when pressing forward. Actually, it's so sensitive, it can detect input when it's not pushed, a simply putting the lightest pressure on the stick will stop it from getting the input.

Doesn't really bother in gameplay as of yet, but when looking at maps ingame, the map keeps getting moved by the input.

any ideas for a fix, or should I just bin it?

Grinchy

Banned
Guessing DS4 problems can be posted here as well?

On one of my 4 DS4's, the left analog stick has become ubersensitive, when pressing forward. Actually, it's so sensitive, it can detect input when it's not pushed, a simply putting the lightest pressure on the stick will stop it from getting the input.

Doesn't really bother in gameplay as of yet, but when looking at maps ingame, the map keeps getting moved by the input.

any ideas for a fix, or should I just bin it?

This isn't going to be helpful at all, but my brother's controller has this same problem. I've tried opening it up several times to try to fix it. I've put new analog sticks on it, I've tried blowing compressed air through the inside of the joystick mechanism, ect. I could not get it working properly again.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix it and I'll make my bro happy.

thenexus6

My PS4 has developed a fault - the screen is covered in tiny white flickering dots. I thought it was my monitor but after trying different screens and cables its definitely the console.

I guess i'll try contacting sony, but i've had this since launch and it was a christmas gift from someone thats passed away now so not sure if they'll help me or not.

goonergaz

My PS4 has developed a fault - the screen is covered in tiny white flickering dots. I thought it was my monitor but after trying different screens and cables its definitely the console.

I guess i'll try contacting sony, but i've had this since launch and it was a christmas gift from someone thats passed away now so not sure if they'll help me or not.

Unfortunately from personal experience it sounds like a graphics (card) issue - my Wii died from that (as have a couple of PC GFX cards)

Reule

After wondering why my PS4 didn't auto-sign into PSN and made me update my privacy settings, I'm faced with another issue.

I turned on my PS4 today and am greeted with an error:

"An error has occurred in the system software (CE-36329-3)"

I reported the problem then hit okay. Everything booted up fine after and all was well. Never had this issue till today and it has me worried. I unplugged my PS4 for some time then turned it on to check again. Afterwards, I went ahead and rebuilt the database to clean up. Ugh, not sure what prompted this but it has me paranoid I'm going to lose the PS4 or have to wipe soon. I backed up all my recent saves just in case.

Has anyone else gotten this error before?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Having an issue with Netflix, Stan, Crunchy Roll and pretty much any sort of 3rd party media player apps. Can enter the apps but once it is in the app the controller is unresponsive so I cant choose an account, enter log in details, navigate options or anything. I can exit the app with the PS button.

Controller works fine outside of the apps, just as soon as you are in them it doesn't work.

Can connect just fine on PC and watch stuff no worries.

Ok I have a launch PS4 and recently I been having a few problems.
1. My PS4 takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to originally.
2. The UI lags horribly whenever it starts up and gets even worse when I try scrolling to anything, the lag can range from 2-5+ seconds long, sometimes it outright freezes but the music in the background still plays until finally it unfreezes than returns to few second lags as usual.
3. Just about every time a try and turn off my PS4 or put it into rest mode the light just keeps blinking until finally it starts beeping before it finally shuts off/enters rest mode depending on what I select.

I have rebuilt my PS4's database and even restored my system to default settings. Both did improve the UI lag but the lag eventually returns to its unbearable state as soon I turn off my system or put it in rest mode.

Anyone know any fixes or do I have to send it to be repaired and likely lose my copy of P.T.

Taker34

Banned
Ok I have a launch PS4 and recently I been having a few problems.
1. My PS4 takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to originally.
2. The UI lags horribly whenever it starts up and gets even worse when I try scrolling to anything, the lag can range from 2-5+ seconds long, sometimes it outright freezes but the music in the background still plays until finally it unfreezes than returns to few second lags as usual.
3. Just about every time a try and turn off my PS4 or put it into rest mode the light just keeps blinking until finally it starts beeping before it finally shuts off/enters rest mode depending on what I select.

I have rebuilt my PS4's database and even restored my system to default settings. Both did improve the UI lag but the lag eventually returns to its unbearable state as soon I turn off my system or put it in rest mode.

Anyone know any fixes or do I have to send it to be repaired and likely lose my copy of P.T.

How big is your current HDD and how much free space do you have? Maybe you have a ton of clips/screenshots saved? I had this issue on an earlier firmware and old HDD as well. Try to completely unplug the console if you already haven't.
Maybe my problem went away because of my new 2TB HDD, but never had this issue again after using it instead of my stock one.

Edit: You can also quickly try this to see if that improves dashboard performance: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/limitnumber.html

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Having an issue with Netflix, Stan, Crunchy Roll and pretty much any sort of 3rd party media player apps. Can enter the apps but once it is in the app the controller is unresponsive so I cant choose an account, enter log in details, navigate options or anything. I can exit the app with the PS button.

Controller works fine outside of the apps, just as soon as you are in them it doesn't work.

Can connect just fine on PC and watch stuff no worries.

So for some reason they all work fine on a sub account but it has an issue where it says its loosing the internet connection.... though it doesn't sign out of PSN or anything.

How big is your current HDD and how much free space do you have? Maybe you have a ton of clips/screenshots saved? I had this issue on an earlier firmware and old HDD as well. Try to completely unplug the console if you already haven't.
Maybe my problem went away because of my new 2TB HDD, but never had this issue again after using it instead of my stock one.

Edit: You can also quickly try this to see if that improves dashboard performance: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/limitnumber.html
My HDD is the original stock 500GBs and I have a ton a free space as I pretty much deleted everything(except for P.T) right before restoring my system to default. I will try completely unplugging the system again though if that fails than I will buy another HDD to see if that helps otherwise I will send it off for repairs. Thanks for the reply.

Trashbat

I've never really used the share function, but I've recently got into Helldivers. I've discovered my PS4 is not recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay (like its supposed to?), so when I hit the share button and look at recent clips, there's nothing there.

Is this common? Can I fix it?

rafaelr

I've never really used the share function, but I've recently got into Helldivers. I've discovered my PS4 is not recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay (like its supposed to?), so when I hit the share button and look at recent clips, there's nothing there.

Is this common? Can I fix it?

ps4 is continuously recording, but you have to tell it when to save something to a videoclip. press the share button, then on the share screen you can either upload the clip of the last 15 mins directly to YT/dailymotion etc., or save the clip to disk (by pressing square).

GametimeUK

This is probably down to my isp, but I have issues where it takes two attempts to do anything. I can't send picture messages, I can't create parties, can't log in to Destiny, I can't host online Terraria... all on my first time. The second attempt works. Oh and the PS now app is just a blue screen.

I have BT Infinity 2 and Home Hub 3. Anyone else having issues?

Trashbat

ps4 is continuously recording, but you have to tell it when to save something to a videoclip. press the share button, then on the share screen you can either upload the clip of the last 15 mins directly to YT/dailymotion etc., or save the clip to disk (by pressing square).

Thanks - I'll give this a try after work - apologies for amateur hour...

popeutlal

Well my PS4 is dead! D.E.D dead! When turning it on, it makes a clicking sound, blue light comes on, makes another sound and shuts off.

Its a launch PS4 from Amazon, now I'm a Wii U only owner.

Top Bottom