• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

DrKelpo

Banned
yesterday i accidentally deleted driveclub so i restarted the giant download. i put the console to restmode and went to bed, but noticed the fans were still spinning. until yesterday everytime i switched to restmode, the console went dead quiet, no matter if a download was on at the time or the console was idle.

anyone has a clue, what this is about?

Lulu23

yesterday i accidentally deleted driveclub so i restarted the giant download. i put the console to restmode and went to bed, but noticed the fans were still spinning. until yesterday everytime i switched to restmode, the console went dead quiet, no matter if a download was on at the time or the console was idle.

It always had the fans spinning for me, but only when it was downloading something. I even used the noise as a way to tell if downloads had finished or not.

(Which is kinda shitty because the PS4 sits in my bedroom, so I can't put it into rest mode often as it'd annoy the hell out of me.

darkwing

the fan is temperature controlled, the fans will still turn on especially right after being used

it's weird if it keeps on turning on all the time

FallAgain

After updating to firmware 2.50 my PS4 went crazy. I cannot install any games anymore. When I put farcry 4 disk inside it starts installing, it will finish 100% and after loading screen I'm getting error that game is corrupted. I've tried other disk games same thing happens.
I already tried basic troubleshooting, initializing PS4 and installing everything from beginning but nothing helps.
I'm so bumped I never had console fail on me before.

Edit: Here is the full error.

Either something went horribly wrong while updating or your HDD already had some bad sectors and they just became more evident after the update. I'd guess you should first try formatting and if that doesn't work swap the HDD.

so i think my DS4 is toast. The light won't turn on, it's not charging, the panel below usb port gets really hot and basically have to keep it connected to do anything. What are my options here Gaf :(

hetchi

I'm sending mine to Sony soon b/c of the auto eject issue. It started doing it out of nowhere and when I'm not playing a game.

Chronos24

I'm bumping this thread to ask what the turnaround has been for anyone who has sent their console lately. Mine went to Fort Wayne, IN and has been there since last Friday. I've read enough horror stories to scare me into thinking it may be quite a while before I get my system back if at all and if its going to come back worse than when it was sent. Also, the problem I had was the fan kicking into loud vacuum mode shortly after powering on.

I'm bumping this thread to ask what the turnaround has been for anyone who has sent their console lately. Mine went to Fort Wayne, IN and has been there since last Friday. I've read enough horror stories to scare me into thinking it may be quite a while before I get my system back if at all and if its going to come back worse than when it was sent. Also, the problem I had was the fan kicking into loud vacuum mode shortly after powering on.

not sure about the states but here in Canada I sent my PS4 in on a Monday and got it back on Thursday. they should be sending you updates of their progress.

Chronos24

not sure about the states but here in Canada I sent my PS4 in on a Monday and got it back on Thursday. they should be sending you updates of their progress.

I should mention that I did get the update that they received the console but that's typically the story I've read is people will get that update but hear nothing for quite some time.

Kysen

Anyone else having an issue where the PS4 will restart itself on startup? This seems to happen every time I suspend the console without a game running. Another annoyance is that all internet functionality ceases when in rest mode. So I am greeted with failed upload messages on startup.

Kaibutsu

Looks like the GPU is dying on my brother's ps4 and of course since it was a launch system it's out of warranty by 4 months. $150, What a kick in the nuts.
CBDKeXvUcAAtfAF.jpg

CBDKeDKUwAA5oN6.jpg

CBDKeFVVEAAr0w7.jpg

Games play fine, netflix, crunchyroll, dashboard is fine it's only when cg cutscenes in games come on that this happens.

brainpann

Anyone else having an issue where the PS4 will restart itself on startup? This seems to happen every time I suspend the console without a game running. Another annoyance is that all internet functionality ceases when in rest mode. So I am greeted with failed upload messages on startup.

This happened to few a few times before the last update. It would also power itself completely off sometime and then tell me I didnt shut it off properly. I thought that maybe my power had shut off while i was at work but all my clocks said otherwise. Everything seems to be fine now though.

im having an issue with the PS4 shutting off when it's in Stand-by mode. does anyone know if the console will power down fully when the 3 hour USB charge is complete? this is the only thing I can think of that might be the cause as I recently turned everything off except that. (suspend/resume, stay connected, power PS4 from internet) are all off.

I should also mention that I'm not getting any sort of error messages when i boot up.

im having an issue with the PS4 shutting off when it's in Stand-by mode. does anyone know if the console will power down fully when the 3 hour USB charge is complete? this is the only thing I can think of that might be the cause as I recently turned everything off except that. (suspend/resume, stay connected, power PS4 from internet) are all off.

I should also mention that I'm not getting any sort of error messages when i boot up.
I think Shutdown is the default behavior if you don't have any Rest Mode features enabled, so maybe that's the issue? If not, maybe rebuild the database?

joecanada

Can anyone help me with pstv? I just got it but it can't seem to pick up wifi from anywhere, my router is a backup business one (not a cheap one), and every other devices has full bars all over my entire house, pstv gets one or zero bars...
Does this thing pickup wifi from anywhere?
Then when I try to connect it says press wps button on router, which I do and it does nothing. Won't connect to ps4, it just sits there searching.
Unless I'm doing something wrong I don't know how they sold any of these

I think Shutdown is the default behavior if you don't have any Rest Mode features enabled, so maybe that's the issue? If not, maybe rebuild the database?

but I still had the 3 hour USB charge on.

I did another rebuild and now a day later the PS4 is still in stand-by and seems to be fixed. very odd behavior

Sanic

Mine was received by them on a Wednesday and was shipped back to me the following Tuesday.

Chronos24

To add an update I got my system back today. It was a refurb, wrapped in bubble wrap. Luckilky the unit didn't show any outside damage and started up fine, but that's where the good news ends. Faster than the unit I sent, this unit's fan kicked up super fast, and the disc drive was also loud. The manufacture date was actually before the date on !my original unit. ALSO, the unit stunk... Yes...stunk, like someone no joke put a cigarette inside the console. The air coming out was nasty. I also noticed that dust was already building up in the back?! So, I take a can of compressed air and start blowing into the back of the console and large pieces of dust and what looked like tiny pieces of shredded cardboard (best description I can give) started coming out the back. I absolutely hate that I have a horror story to tell because I honestly thought the majority of other stories I've seen and read were the exception and not the rule.

Call me crazy or dumb, but I was not about to go through the whole damn process again. I decided to bite the cost and took the console to best buy, traded it in (before anything is said I got the original console at a very large discount, was basically a gift), and got a brand new console. This one was just manufactured in February and is not only quieter by a country mile but got TLOU included, so not a total loss and decent piece of mind hopefully from here on out. I'm debating getting a warranty through SquareTrade who if anything happens to my ps4 they WILL NOT send a refurb, but either refund me or send me a new console.

Edit 4/19: so the ps4 I got yesterday... The damn hard drive started clicking loudly after using the ps4 for a couple hours...wtf?!!!! My luck with consoles has apparently been terrible! Well, I took that console back to best buy earlier today and exchanged it no problem. I got home, set it up, and to my delight.... FINALLY, this console is actually the quietest, the disc drive is quiet, and the hard drive (so far) hasn't made a peep! I think I'm going to hold my breath just a little longer, but today everything has gone well. On a side note, TLOU and Bloodborne were the biggest offenders on console noise, and I can say that with an hour of playtime on both games today the console hardly got louder. ALL of the other ones sounded like a jet just minutes after playing, with the exception of yesterday's new console, which did get loud but not as loud as the original and refurb.

Sanic

The unit I received back after my repair was also, in a word, disgusting. Covered in dust and dirt. I was going to immediately send it back, but decided to clean it and try it out first. It ended up being far quieter than my last console (or any other i've heard in person), and so I decided to hold on to it instead of risking another loud unit getting sent to me

Grinchy

Banned
Once again, on my 3rd PS4, I'm having some kind of standby issue. When I boot it up from standby, the light pulses blue and no video gets output to my TV. The system just continues to pulse blue until I hold the power button to shut it off.

When I turn it on again, it boots up fine but it tells me it wasn't shut down properly the last time. This started happening after the suspend/resume update. I never saw this problem before then.

According to the support forum, this could have to do with the HDD, power supply, or some other hardware.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem recently?

Pachimari

How come my PS4 just spit out my disc with a lot of scratches on it? It had a little hard time to take it in, and then it made some weird sounds while reading the disc, ending up spitting it out with lots of scratches I could wipe away.

I'm worried..

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone having an issue where the system takes longer than usual to shutdown and then beeps 3 times before finally turning off? This also happens when I go into rest mode every now and then and just started happening after the last update.

Let's see, I rebuilt the database to no avail. I also tried the trick where you unplug and press the power button until it stops beeping, but that does not seem to help either. The system seems fine otherwise, but this is just really getting on my nerves.

To add an update I got my system back today. It was a refurb, wrapped in bubble wrap. Luckilky the unit didn't show any outside damage and started up fine, but that's where the good news ends. Faster than the unit I sent, this unit's fan kicked up super fast, and the disc drive was also loud. The manufacture date was actually before the date on !my original unit. ALSO, the unit stunk... Yes...stunk, like someone no joke put a cigarette inside the console. The air coming out was nasty. I also noticed that dust was already building up in the back?! So, I take a can of compressed air and start blowing into the back of the console and large pieces of dust and what looked like tiny pieces of shredded cardboard (best description I can give) started coming out the back. I absolutely hate that I have a horror story to tell because I honestly thought the majority of other stories I've seen and read were the exception and not the rule.

Call me crazy or dumb, but I was not about to go through the whole damn process again. I decided to bite the cost and took the console to best buy, traded it in (before anything is said I got the original console at a very large discount, was basically a gift), and got a brand new console. This one was just manufactured in February and is not only quieter by a country mile but got TLOU included, so not a total loss and decent piece of mind hopefully from here on out. I'm debating getting a warranty through SquareTrade who if anything happens to my ps4 they WILL NOT send a refurb, but either refund me or send me a new console.

Edit 4/19: so the ps4 I got yesterday... The damn hard drive started clicking loudly after using the ps4 for a couple hours...wtf?!!!! My luck with consoles has apparently been terrible! Well, I took that console back to best buy earlier today and exchanged it no problem. I got home, set it up, and to my delight.... FINALLY, this console is actually the quietest, the disc drive is quiet, and the hard drive (so far) hasn't made a peep! I think I'm going to hold my breath just a little longer, but today everything has gone well. On a side note, TLOU and Bloodborne were the biggest offenders on console noise, and I can say that with an hour of playtime on both games today the console hardly got louder. ALL of the other ones sounded like a jet just minutes after playing, with the exception of yesterday's new console, which did get loud but not as loud as the original and refurb.

How do you find out a PS4' s production date? Is it something to do with the box or the console itself?

Number45

Did the latest update change the audio output settings for anyone? When watching a BR before the most recent update my receiver was decoding (DTS HD MA showed in the display) but since the update it just shows PCM so the PS4 is decoding.

Chronos24

How do you find out a PS4' s production date? Is it something to do with the box or the console itself?

Its on the console. On the "bottom" side if laying horizontal its on the sticker on the far right. It'll say manufactured month/year. Mine is February 2015

GutsOfThor

After the 2.50 update I noticed the return of random beeping on my system even when it's powered off. I've unplugged it for 20 mins but it still beeps at random.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Guys, here I am playing Dragon Age and my PS4 keeps losing HDMI signal – I have to adjust the HDMI at the back of the PS4 to get the picture back. Is this a common hardware issue?

Reule

Something odd happened with my girlfriend's PS4 or with connection to PSN. Her recent activities are displaying events from the middle of last month. Checked under MKX and nothing is shown for Recent Activities. What's New seems alright, so I don't know. Going to do a reset once this patch finishes.

Edit: I believe I figured out the problem. Must be a problem with the MKX game tile. I asked a friend to check his and sure enough, his Recent Activities and Related Items are not showing as well. That's why her Recent Activities are two weeks behind because we've done nothing but play MKX on her PS4 recently, haha. Probably messed something up with Jason coming out later today.

farmerboy

Need some "sound" advice. Pun intended. I currently use a PS4 for gaming/movies.

Recently, I've had trouble with the surround sound. Mostly the centre channel not working, but also the rears and less often, the fronts as well. Predominantly the rears and fronts with games, the centre with movies.

Up till now, I thought it was a problem with the receiver. Once when I lost the centre channel, I changed over to the PS3 and the centre was still missing so I thought it was the receiver.

Very recently though, the sound got real crackly/distorted resulting in some very unpleasant pings. The receiver went into self preservation mode and shut down. Upon starting up again the distortion was still present. I immediately changed to my headset (Golds) and the sound was still the same through the headset.

So now I think its the PS4 with the problems. The problems are intermittent only. If they do occur, sometimes but not all the time, a shutdown/reset will restore everything to normal.

I also get other weird behaviour, such as no sound till I change the volume level on the receiver. Also playing Driveclub at the moment, and some races will only have effects, if I get out of the race and then reload it, sound is restored.

Both appliances are still in warranty. What say you GAF?

Data Ghost

Well Im monitoring my incredibly quiet PS4 as the disk drive mechanism is super weak. I got this (4th) PS4 in November so I will be returning it for a refund before the warranty is up and I'll just purchase a newer up-to-date unit.

I really think the build quality of the PS4 in general is terrible, which feels like an odd thing to say for a console I really do love very much.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well, my ps4 started blinking blue today, and nothing is showing up on my screen. Chatted with Sony and their super helpful customer service told me I'm basically boned and have to send it in.

No warranty because I bought it used. Lovely.

I DON'T HAVE $150 SONY STOP SELLING ME BROKEN PRODUCTS YOU FUCKS.

It's my ps3s YLOD all over again ,I've fucking had it with this brand.

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone having an issue where the system takes longer than usual to shutdown and then beeps 3 times before finally turning off? This also happens when I go into rest mode every now and then and just started happening after the last update.

Let's see, I rebuilt the database to no avail. I also tried the trick where you unplug and press the power button until it stops beeping, but that does not seem to help either. The system seems fine otherwise, but this is just really getting on my nerves.

Quoting myself here because I seem to have found the solution for this. I simply went to power options and selected close applications and restart. It has been a few days now since I did so and the beeping has not happened once. It powers off and goes into rest mode normally now. Just a note for those having the same issue.

Reule

Quoting myself here because I seem to have found the solution for this. I simply went to power options and selected close applications and restart. It has been a few days now since I did so and the beeping has not happened once. It powers off and goes into rest mode normally now. Just a note for those having the same issue.
If it happens again, I wouldn't worry too much. It's happened to myself and my girlfriend a couple of times. I always close applications before I shut down and it has still happened. I rebuilt database as well and nothing seems to really prevent it.

It might be network related with PSN because anytime it's happened it was when PSN was having issues. When it was getting severely DDOS'd in December, I remember reading a lot of people having triple beep on them on shut down.

I've had a PS4 since launch. No trouble with updates or anything.

Yesterday it started ejecting my disc while playing a game. Sometimes it turned off and wouldn't turn on. I unplugged the power cord and hdmi, waited a couple minutes and got the system to work again.

Today however, it ejected my disc and won't turn back on for good. Unplugging the cord and hdmi are not doing anything. When I plug the system back in, the blue light turns on and beeps for a second before going black.

Is there anyway to fix this without returning the system. I believe my warranty is over if it's a launch system, and I never backed up my save files.

kiguel182

My PS4 is in a constant booting into safe mode loop. I'm getting desperate here.

The PS4 has been acting dumb for some time now. Like 50 per cent of the time it would boot into safe mode and ask for a reinstallation of the latest firmware. Usually if I turned it off, unplugged it, and then plugged it again it would boot normally. Frustrating as hell but manageable.

Now, it does that, says the update file isn't valid, reboots into safe mode and verifies storage and rinse and repeat.

I booted into the normal safe mode and was able to update it with the file I've been trying but still doesn't work.

I have no idea what to do now.

EDIT: I had to initialise my PS4. Lost every install and let's hope most things were saved on PS+ cloud. This was a pain in the ass.

Popsickles

If it happens again, I wouldn't worry too much. It's happened to myself and my girlfriend a couple of times. I always close applications before I shut down and it has still happened. I rebuilt database as well and nothing seems to really prevent it.

It might be network related with PSN because anytime it's happened it was when PSN was having issues. When it was getting severely DDOS'd in December, I remember reading a lot of people having triple beep on them on shut down.
I believe it does this when it cannot upload your saves for whatever reason as I think k part of the shutdown process is to backup check your notifications I found I had to stop certain games from backing up because their saves were so big ie Driveclub which is nearly 400meg taking up too much room.

Crawl

Anyone having trouble getting on Playstation store on the console itself the last two days? It just goes to the blue background like its loading something and nothing ever comes up.

Anyone having trouble getting on Playstation store on the console itself the last two days? It just goes to the blue background like its loading something and nothing ever comes up.

I've always had this problem and many other here on GAF have it too. to get around that just reboot the console or toggle internet check box in settings and it should work after that.

the real solution is for Sony to fix it though.

rafaelr

so i have a rather loud launch ps4 and last week i finally decided to replace the thermal paste. to my surprise there was hardly any dust inside. replacing the thermal paste went pretty much without problems and this is what the stock stuff looked like:
unnamedzjuqp.jpg

but i guess i was expecting too much from it, since the ps4 still gets very loud in most games.
one thing i find curious though is that the exhaust flow from the vents in the back is (and always has been) hardly noticeable. i mean, there is warm air at the back, but i was expecting it to be blowing out with some force at least? is this normal?

Grinchy

Banned
^I can't answer your question but my experience with replacing thermal paste on PS3s makes me feel like Sony really goops on way too much of it in all their systems.

Also, with PS3, I found that replacing the thermal compound didn't help make it any more quiet. I wonder if it's just an issue with the fan?

Grinchy

Banned
That´s what i´m wondering as well, or if there´s something obstructing the airflow out of the back? For the amount of noise it´s generating it just seems to put out so little air mass.

I see some replacement fans on Ebay if you ever want to spend money to find out if it's just the fan. It would suck to buy one and completely disassemble only to find out that it is a random obstruction, though.

Crawl

change DNS servers?

I've always had this problem and many other here on GAF have it too. to get around that just reboot the console or toggle internet check box in settings and it should work after that.

the real solution is for Sony to fix it though.

So I have tried both and the store came back once - and I was able to redeem codes on PSN store with a new DNS server (Google's) and reboot the ps4. However after these changes had been made I fired up my ps4 the next day and had the same exact problem ;/.

so i have a rather loud launch ps4 and last week i finally decided to replace the thermal paste. to my surprise there was hardly any dust inside. replacing the thermal paste went pretty much without problems and this is what the stock stuff looked like:
unnamedzjuqp.jpg

but i guess i was expecting too much from it, since the ps4 still gets very loud in most games.
one thing i find curious though is that the exhaust flow from the vents in the back is (and always has been) hardly noticeable. i mean, there is warm air at the back, but i was expecting it to be blowing out with some force at least? is this normal?

I don't know if not having any dust is a good thing, Do you live in a mountain far from any city or inside a Lab? or your PS4 is inside of a very closed enviroment?

popeutlal

So when I hit the power button the blue light comes on for a second, I hear a click sound and then it shuts off. Its a launch unit. Any ideas?

Top Bottom