• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone vs PS4 game install time comparison

The tile pops up on the dashboard with a white progress bar as soon as you pop a disc in or start the download if you bought it from the store. As soon as that bar fills up you can start playing.

You don't get a second bar for the progress of the full installation if the game supports play as you download.

That was kind of annoying for installing BF4, it got to the play now option, which is apparently only the campaign so I had to keep checking back by booting up the game to see if the multiplayer was installed yet, a minor problem but it would be nice to get that fixed

eival

considering PS4 still doesnt fully install, its no surprise its "complete" time is faster

those times on XB1 are faster than 7 gig games on the 360 so that's perfectly fine to me.

not to mention it wont even have to boot the disc again like the 360 did, so once its installed, there's zero chance of any DRE issues occurring, that was the sole reason i used the 360 for multiplatform games and it appears Xbox will continue to be that choice the foreseeable future, unless Sony finally gets their act together.

rothbart

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you could play games already installed on the PS4 digitally. Meaning, I can play Resogun while a disc based game is installing. I can play contrast while it's installing etc. This only works if you let the game install on the dashboard though (so don't boot up the game, or you have to close it out to play another game).

The one caveat I've noticed is that if you buy digitally, the big games tend to stream the "rest" of their download while you play... but if you're not in THAT app playing, the rest won't be streamed. For instance, if you download Killzone from PSN, you're getting ~7-8GB. The games is much, much larger than that. So if you're playing say Resogun, that initial 7-8GB will download and install but it won't download the REMAINING 30GB or so until you're actually in Killzone, playing Killzone. That said, you likely aren't going to NEED the rest of that until you've already played the first part but if you say were "prepping" a PS4 for use in an area without internet (like say a submarine... lol), you'd want to leave the game running overnight one night if you weren't planning to actually start it yet. Same with Battlefield 4 that I've noticed.

This came into play for me as I tried to resume my playthrough of KZ on a 2nd PS4. My game was cloud-saved and I downloaded/installed Killzone. When I loaded it up, it DID auto-recognize that I was on Chapter 3 and start to download it, but I'd kinda already assumed it would be ready to go. While I was playing Chapter 3, it downloaded Chapter 4, 5, etc. and I never had to wait for it to install (it downloaded/installed faster than I could play it.)

It's really a tremendous system, but understanding how it works can save some potential frustration in fringe cases.

That was kind of annoying for installing BF4, it got to the play now option, which is apparently only the campaign so I had to keep checking back by booting up the game to see if the multiplayer was installed yet, a minor problem but it would be nice to get that fixed

If you go digital you have the option between downloading SP/MP first.

Au{R}oN

Banned
well, i can confirm that if you connect the xbox one to the internet, the installation times will be more than halfed, in fact, due to the power of the clouds, thunders, lightnings and rain (sometimes even the sun) it only need a bunch of seconds.

/j

considering PS4 still doesnt fully install, its no surprise its "complete" time is faster

those times on XB1 are faster than 7 gig games on the 360 so that's perfectly fine to me.

not to mention it wont even have to boot the disc again like the 360 did, so once its installed, they're zero chance of any DRE issues occurring, that alone is worth the $100 more.

PS4 fully installs.

EDIT: What are you even talking about... Are you just making stuff up?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

those times on XB1 are faster than 7 gig games on the 360 so thats perfectly fine to me

Last gen vs current gen, it should be faster. Thats what companies strive for, to be better. If the hardware is better than last gen, it should be faster.

Current vs current, ...it just installs slower than the PS4. Decisions that Sony and MS made for their consoles. Seems like the PS4 has some pros with its features too.

But hey, someone did make a good point, you can watch live TV waiting for games to install on the XBO.

PS4 fully installs.

Yup, it does....dont know what he means..... Like I said...Sony and MS just decided to go about the install process differently, decisions they both made for their consoles. In fact, both the PS4 and XBO lets you play games before fully installing. MS must have decided to let more of it install. Or something....

Last gen vs current gen, it should be faster. Thats what companies strive for, to be better. If the hardware is better than last gen, it should be faster.

Current vs current, ...it just installs slower than the PS4. Decisions that Sony and MS made for their consoles. Seems like the PS4 has some pros with its features too.

But hey, someone did make a good point, you can watch live TV waiting for games to install on the XBO.

You can watch tv while your ps4 installs too, just hit the input button on your tv remote =P

robo

think Sony stated around 7% for Killzone before you can start playing, but it was up to the publishers how much is needed to install before their games start playing but usually around 10%. Recall MS saying 50% install before a game could be played.

Nafai1123

Banned

not to mention it wont even have to boot the disc again like the 360 did, so once its installed, there's zero chance of any DRE issues occurring, that was the sole reason i used the 360 for multiplatform games and it appears Xbox will continue to be that choice the foreseeable future, unless Sony finally gets their act together.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Guys longer install times on XB1 is by design. They want us to watch tv etc while it installs. They didn't make those features for nothing. Relax watch tv while it installs.

Rad-

How the hell are both so slow? I don't remember the last time my PC game install took more than 2 minutes.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How the hell are both so slow? I don't remember the last time my PC game install took more than 2 minutes.

And what games were those? And I assume your PC is close to the specs of the PS4, XBO.

Tulerian

It's pure fud.

But how many people out there think this is true?

This is why independent, unbiased reviewers are needed to inform the general public of the pro's and cons of hardware/software. Something to stop the rubbish which gets spread around the internet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The one caveat I've noticed is that if you buy digitally, the big games tend to stream the "rest" of their download while you play... but if you're not in THAT app playing, the rest won't be streamed. For instance, if you download Killzone from PSN, you're getting ~7-8GB. The games is much, much larger than that. So if you're playing say Resogun, that initial 7-8GB will download and install but it won't download the REMAINING 30GB or so until you're actually in Killzone, playing Killzone. That said, you likely aren't going to NEED the rest of that until you've already played the first part but if you say were "prepping" a PS4 for use in an area without internet (like say a submarine... lol), you'd want to leave the game running overnight one night if you weren't planning to actually start it yet. Same with Battlefield 4 that I've noticed.

This came into play for me as I tried to resume my playthrough of KZ on a 2nd PS4. My game was cloud-saved and I downloaded/installed Killzone. When I loaded it up, it DID auto-recognize that I was on Chapter 3 and start to download it, but I'd kinda already assumed it would be ready to go. While I was playing Chapter 3, it downloaded Chapter 4, 5, etc. and I never had to wait for it to install (it downloaded/installed faster than I could play it.)

It's really a tremendous system, but understanding how it works can save some potential frustration in fringe cases.
That's what I thought as well when I first downloaded DCUO, but on a second install I noticed that the second part of the download still occurs silently in the background even if you don't launch the game. I think the issue is that the download list shrinks the size of the install it displays to the PlayGo portion and once the PlayGo download is complete it doesn't bother to update the size back to the full size.

Here's what the download list looks like for a PlayGo download right after you start it:

F4BQ5jM.png

And here it is after downloading a few MB's:

After it finishes the PlayGo download it should go back to the full size but as it is right now it doesn't bother updating it and just displays it as complete download that's been installed.

eival

PS4 fully installs.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's pure fud.

But how many people out there think this is true?

This is why independent, unbiased reviewers are needed to inform the general public of the pro's and cons of hardware/software. Something to stop the rubbish which gets spread around the internet.

so when Jeff Gerstman is asked about the install process and says the disc still spins after it says its "installed" not just "play a quick match while it finishes installing" because it only loads what developers think should be loaded and then streams the rest off the disc, based on his discussions with engineers who built the console and in the same post, says that microsoft gives you no option but to fully install and the disc after which it never has to spin the disc again, he has no idea what he's talking about right?

ol' CEO of Giant Bomb spreading those crazy internet forum rumors again!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
so when Jeff Gerstman is asked about the install process and says the disc still spins after it says its "installed" not just "play a quick match while it finishes installing" because it only loads what developers think should be loaded and then streams the rest off the disc, based on his discussions with engineers who built the console he has no idea what he's talking about right?

Probably audio

Curufinwe

so when Jeff Gerstman is asked about the install process and says the disc still spins after it says its "installed" not just "play a quick match while it finishes installing" because it only loads what developers think should be loaded and then streams the rest off the disc, based on his discussions with engineers who built the console and in the same post, says that microsoft gives you no option but to fully install and the disc after which it never has to spin the disc again, he has no idea what he's talking about right?

Giant Bomb said this year that you can't buy PS2 games on PSN to play on the PS3. Don't pretend that they are infallible.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Eh, no. This is all software.

Auto-caching/install of data from the moment the disc is put in, the way updates/install works, how game data streams from the initial cache to allow for immediate gameplay while it installs the rest in the background... are all software.

Well I guess there isn't an excuse for Microsoft then.

You have no idea what you are talking about. And I'm watching Giantbomb livestream right now and they are getting a bunch of stuff wrong.

Once the game installs the disk is only used to verify the game. The process that you describe also happens on Xbox.

Mastperf

Both systems require the disc to be in the drive so yes, if they claimed the disc will never need to spin again they are indeed wrong. KZSF for example is a 39GB game that requires 39GB of hard drive space to be playable on the PS4.

i-Lo

I feel this comparison, while useful, is moot for the people who are looking to switch HDD in PS4 (to 7200/Hybrid/SSD drives) which gives it the clear advantage since (iirc) external storage via USB will not match the throughput of an internal HDD and the internal HDD of Xbone is not changeable.

Sean*O

You have no idea what you are talking about. And I'm watching Giantbomb livestream right now and they are getting a bunch of stuff wrong.

Once the game installs the disk is only used to verify the game. The process that you describe also happens on Xbox.

This, if you'd ever tried to play a game without the disk in the drive you'd already know.

Also what's a DRE issue?

Alienous

I think listing the time until you can play would be helpful in comparing the two, also.

EDIT:
Or maybe they are already doing that?

i-Lo

I think some of the data is also uploaded to the cloud as well for xbone and is therefore dependent on upload speed of your ISP.

Biker19

Banned
Angry Joe was getting annoyed with the X1 install times when he was streaming. He said the PS4 was so much faster and you didn't feel like you were waiting.

What's better is that you can still play the games on PS4 while they're still installing to your HDD.

With Xbox One, from what I've been hearing, you have to wait until the games finishes installing before playing them. This causes some huge problems with games like Ryse.

w00zey

On the ps4 the install time for nba2k seemed to take me damn near a complete game of basketball. Though it was funny that around the 3rd quarter all the sudden I had in game audio.

DJ12

You're wrong too. Once installed the ps4 reads from bluray and HDD at the same time thus boosting any loading times or streaming.

This us why when something is installed the bluray spins when you play it.

Tratorn

Aren't there more comparisons out there now? I'd have thought this would be one of the first things that would have been tested by some sites.

Install and loading times for all (big) multiplatforms should be compared (PS4 with standard HDD of course).

viveks86

Aren't there more comparisons out there now? I'd have thought this would be one of the first things that would have been tested by some sites.

Install and loading times for all (big) multiplatforms should be compared (PS4 with standard HDD of course).

I think comparisons can happen only when installation is complete ;)

eival

so after watching the GB stream yesterday in which they specifically addressed the ability to purchase the rights to a disc based install on Xbox and it continues using those files versus having to download and reinstall the entire full digital version of a PS4 game which was also "completely installed", im going to take that as further evidence that the PS4 isnt doing a 1:1 data rip from the disc.

either that or they still have no ability to design a competent operating system

also when Brad demonstrated the install time, Forza 5 was only at 14% long after just the 15 minutes this article claims FIFA could be installed, which is half the size as Forza, so theoretically it would take just half as long but clearly that isnt the case so the process isnt a guaranteed ratio

Top Bottom