• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot Veteran Freelancer Quits Over CNet Management

Zzoram

I didn't see this in the first couple of pages and it seems to be only a few hours old, so I'll post it. If it's old or I'm not allowed to post this, lock the thread.

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives...et-gamespot-writer-quits-over-the-debacle.php

January 5, 2008

Gerstmann-Gate Isn't Over Yet: Gamespot Writer Quits Over the Debacle

While Gamespot and Eidos all wish we would just forget, the impact of Jeff Gerstmann's "complicated" firing still lingers over the industry. The latest development of the debacle is Frank Provo's departure from Gamespot. A freelance writer with over 7 years at Gamespot and who wrote 751 reviews, his reasons for departure can hardly be called respectful. From Provo's Gamespot blog:

"I believe CNet management let Jeff go for all the wrong reasons. I believe CNet intends to soften the site's tone and push for higher scores to make advertisers happy.

I won't lie to people and tell them a game is good when it isn't. I won't downplay negatives that readers have a right to know about."

All I can say is ouch. With only unconfirmed rumors that Gerstmann's firing from Gamespot was the result of advertisement pressure over his unflattering Kane & Lynch review, this will only deal another blow to Gamespot's reputation. Provo also directly targeted the management of Gamespot and CNet in order to defend his fellow writers at Gamespot by saying, "The Gamespot staff did not fire Jeff. The Gamespot staff are NOT corrupt. Gamespot itself is NOT the problem. CNet is. CNet's management is."

The video game journalism industry, like any industry that reviews and covers a medium, has only its reputation to rely on. Review readers rely on the integrity and taste of the reviewer, and if you feel you can't trust them, you won't read their reviews. I can easily see why the writers at Gamespot would want to leave, because whether or not Gerstmann was fired for his review Gamespot can not be a pleasant place to work these days.

Posted by Clayton Ashley at 1:45 AM

"The Gamespot staff did not fire Jeff. The Gamespot staff are NOT corrupt. Gamespot itself is NOT the problem. CNet is. CNet's management is."

That's been the message all along really. They even said it on their podcast.

His reviews were dull and lifeless, he was probably about to get dismissed and wanted to make a name for himself in Jeff's massive wake.

xaosslug said:
if he felt so strongly about the situation why jump ship now?
It could be he only now felt the pressure from those above. BTW isn't this the first real confirmation we had. I mean we know it happened but this is CONFIRMATION right?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
dr3upmushroom said:
Kinda hard to just walk up and leave when you live in Frisco where it's extremely expensive to live and you have a family to support.

Yea i can only imagine. Dont live in the US so i have no real idea, but its good to see someone who is being honest about it all, sucks that he has to quit his job over it.

SamBishop

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Has this guy written any notorious reviews, ala 8.8?

Oh how quickly you fools forget 6.8... Mos has logged more than enough years at GS that I hope he slips into something else rather quickly. With the natural reflection that comes with the Holidays, I'm guessing this probably isn't going to be the last of the departures.

xaosslug

i don't know, it's kind of lame to play solidarity over a month after the fact. It seems like he was perfectly fine turning a blind-eye until things started to effect him, personally.

muckhole

xaosslug said:
i don't know, it's kind of lame to play solidarity over a month after the fact. It seems like he was perfectly fine turning a blind-eye until things started to effect him, personally.

Better than to never do/say anything at all. People have families and holidays and all the associated bills that come with them to think of before doing something like this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That's a lot of reviews. 107 reviews or so a year when you average it out. Goodness. Good luck to him and his future. *salute*

xaosslug

muckhole said:
Better than to never do/say anything at all. People have families and holidays and all the associated bills that come with them to think of before doing something like this.
you cannot complain about the writing on the wall over a month later, when you've seen it there for weeks and weeks... I mean if he thought Gerstmann was wrongly terminated he should have said something back then, why bring it up now as if he had such strong feelings against it? Lame. Though, I'll concede we don't know the whole story, but still. Just sayin'. :p

smurfx

get some go again
xaosslug said:
i doubt finding a good job as a videogame journalist is easy. maybe he was looking for a job and then when he found an opportunity he finally quit.

Zzoram

xaosslug said:
you cannot complain about the writing on the wall over a month later, when you've seen it there for weeks and weeks... I mean if he thought Gerstmann was wrongly terminated he should have said something back then, why bring it up now as if he had such strong feelings against it? Lame. Though, I'll concede we don't know the whole story, but still. Just sayin'. :p

It's easy to talk tough, but like people have already mentioned, the man probably had bills to pay and was looking for another job first.

Isn't Frank Provo, aka mosaic, a member of these here forums? I know he has posted in the Virtual Console thread quite a bit.

I remember he did the review for Super Metroid (VC) for Gamespot. Originally, he said he wanted to give it a 9 (or 9.5, I forget), but the higher-ups said it was too high, so they knocked it down a bit to a 8.5.

Zzoram

Vyse The Legend said:
Isn't Frank Provo, aka mosaic, a member of these here forums? I know he has posted in the Virtual Console thread quite a bit.

Whoa, he's mosaic? That's one of the few names I do recognize here.

Zzoram

probune said:
As I recall, he's the one who originally posted the Gerstmann-Gate topic on here.

I think you're right. I'd say he's done his duty. He provided some insider insight, and after taking some time to get his affairs in order, is leaving Gamespot out of principle. Good man.

okno

It's simply disgusting that there isn't truly a fully respectable source of video game reviews in today's age. There are so many places to go to get solid, awesome, unbiased film, game, and music reviews, but they're all, obviously, small and far from mainstream. I just don't understand video game journalism. Throughout journalism's history, movie, music and play reviewers have been able to say "FUCK YOU!" to pressure from bigger bullies, but video game journalists seem to just roll over on their backs and say, "scratch my belly and I'll say what you want!"

It's disgusting, and part of the reason I'm getting out of the journalism field. Journalism as a whole has become incredibly corrupt.

Zzoram

okno said:
It's simply disgusting that there isn't truly a fully respectable source of video game reviews in today's age. There are so many places to go to get solid, awesome, unbiased film, game, and music reviews, but they're all, obviously, small and far from mainstream. I just don't understand video game journalism. Throughout journalism's history, movie, music and play reviewers have been able to say "FUCK YOU!" to pressure from bigger bullies, but video game journalists seem to just roll over on their backs and say, "scratch my belly and I'll say what you want!"

It's disgusting, and part of the reason I'm getting out of the journalism field. Journalism as a whole has become incredibly corrupt.

If you listened to the most recent GFW, Shawn goes into how much more controlled media is today. He was reading about US Presidents of the past and how much more real they were, whereas modern politicians have carefully crafted and highly controlled messages.

okno

Zzoram said:
If you listened to the most recent GFW, Shawn goes into how much more controlled media is today. He was reading about US Presidents of the past and how much more real they were, whereas modern politicians have carefully crafted and highly controlled messages.

I didn't, but now I might. I hope journalists start to take a stand for their rights as journalists and say "FUCK YOU" to everyone. It's just disgusting how much power reviews have over video games. Reviews should never, ever, ever take precident, ever.

mosaic

go eat paint
I'm honestly surprised Kotaku, Ripten, and any other sites are bringing this to lite... but yes, it's me, and yes, I'm no longer freelancing for GameSpot.

Why didn't I do it a month ago? I did, I just didn't post about it. My last review was turned in December 17th... fulfilling promises I made. I'm an asshole, but I do what I say I'm gonna do. I only bothered to post in my GameSpot blog now because Alex finally let the staff know. Perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Eh, I admit, I wanted to get a parting jab in at CNet for ruining a choice gig for me.

My reviews are dull and lifeless? Hmmm, do I tell you to eat paint or explain that GameSpot has a structure they prefer writers to follow? We're allowed fleeting glimpses of personality, but by and large the commandment is "keep it concise, keep it straight." In the past, I've written for other magazines and sites that allowed more personality to shine through. I'm only about 70% as dull as my GameSpot reviews suggest. *grin* Also, eat paint.

And hey, here's some skinny for ya... I've been sitting on my ass the last 3 weeks playing games and sleeping a lot... I've had a couple inquiries thrown my way that I need to follow-up on, but basically don't have anything new lined up yet. Yes, I jumped ship without a life vest. This isn't the first time. Thankfully, I live in the midwest where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap, and my last CNet check will carry me a good 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer if I'm a tightwad. I'm going to start "knocking on doors" Monday. Who knows where I'll end up. Might just get a job with bennies locally.

I don't know what the staff's plans are. I do know they're feeling mighty isolated ever since management showed that it's unwilling to take its employees' and users' concerns into account. It's kind of like the first time a young child sees his dad punch his mom. Reality=shattered. I also know that San Francisco is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities to reside in. You don't just quit willy-nilly unless you have the resources to do so. Or you live in a box (or Sam Bishop's couch).

Yagharek

Vyse The Legend said:
I remember he did the review for Super Metroid (VC) for Gamespot. Originally, he said he wanted to give it a 9 (or 9.5, I forget), but the higher-ups said it was too high, so they knocked it down a bit to a 8.5.

Too high for what, incidentally? Too high for a good game? It makes me wonder why people get so wound up over review scores when issues like this strongly suggest that the score at the end is moderated by outside interests. The text (moreso the tone) of the review is all you can go by.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
mosaic said:
Thankfully, I live in the midwest where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap, and my last CNet check will carry me a good 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer if I'm a tightwad. I'm going to start "knocking on doors" Monday. Who knows where I'll end up. Might just get a job with bennies locally.

Oh how do I love living in Indiana for that reason alone. It's a beautiful thing. Best of luck to you.

Ten-Song

mosaic said:
Why didn't I do it a month ago? I did, I just didn't post about it. My last review was turned in December 17th... fulfilling promises I made. I'm an asshole, but I do what I say I'm gonna do. I only bothered to post in my GameSpot blog now because Alex finally let the staff know. Perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Eh, I admit, I wanted to get a parting jab in at CNet for ruining a choice gig for me.

No way, the more of this crap that finally comes out into the open, the better off everyone is.

gamingeek

What's the suprise here? Gamespot has engendered a culture of punative secrecy, where no one is allowed to criticise the site. It's a bullshit unsaid policy over there.

Tieno

mosaic said:
I'm honestly surprised Kotaku, Ripten, and any other sites are bringing this to lite... but yes, it's me, and yes, I'm no longer freelancing for GameSpot.

My reviews are dull and lifeless? Hmmm, do I tell you to eat paint or explain that GameSpot has a structure they prefer writers to follow? We're allowed fleeting glimpses of personality, but by and large the commandment is "keep it concise, keep it straight." In the past, I've written for other magazines and sites that allowed more personality to shine through. I'm only about 70% as dull as my GameSpot reviews suggest. *grin* Also, eat paint.

And hey, here's some skinny for ya... I've been sitting on my ass the last 3 weeks playing games and sleeping a lot... I've had a couple inquiries thrown my way that I need to follow-up on, but basically don't have anything new lined up yet. Yes, I jumped ship without a life vest. This isn't the first time. Thankfully, I live in the midwest where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap, and my last CNet check will carry me a good 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer if I'm a tightwad. I'm going to start "knocking on doors" Monday. Who knows where I'll end up. Might just get a job with bennies locally.

I don't know what the staff's plans are. I do know they're feeling mighty isolated ever since management showed that it's unwilling to take its employees' and users' concerns into account. It's kind of like the first time a young child sees his dad punch his mom. Reality=shattered. I also know that San Francisco is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities to reside in. You don't just quit willy-nilly unless you have the resources to do so. Or you live in a box (or Sam Bishop's couch).
Takes guts to make such a drastic change and do what you feel is right. Kudos to you.

cilonen

I thought you'd end up doing this just from the way things went in the big Gerstmann thread here.

Good luck, mos. 6.8 man, 6.8.

White Man

xaosslug said:

I don't know if you know about it, but there's this thing called eating, and we people have to do it in order to do this thing we call living. In some cases, we have to delay taking a principled stance because we don't like being in this state we call homelessness. I'm sorry if you don't understand any of this, but I'm not familiar with what it is like to be what we call retarded.

xabre

Banned
I don't understand this Gerstmann thing. If the review he wrote was unfavourable then surely the responsibility lies with the editor who authorised the review to be published on the site. That's how most journalist outlets work do they not?

Gazunta

xabre said:
I don't understand this Gerstmann thing. If the review he wrote was unfavourable then surely the responsibility lies with the editor who authorised the review to be published on the site. That's how most journalist outlets work do they not?
Yeah, you really don't understand the Gerstmann "thing".

Frank rocks. He's got balls bigger than the ones David Bowie juggled in Labrynth.

Everyone at 1up, hire him already, sheesh.

White Man

xabre said:

Gerstmann was an editor in his case. He was high up in the Gamespot hierarchy, if not at the top. Thus it fell on the head of his corporate shill masters, who did not have direct oversight on his text. For reference, I am a lead editor at my job, and I can easily have something totally shameful published without it crossing anyone's eyes. Something like "Gazunta is a giant space lesbian." Nobody would see it until it were live.

EDIT: Oh, shit, mosaic, this is you? Kudos for taking a principled stance.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Kudos to Mosaic, hard decision but gotta stick up for your guns.

Top Bottom