• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot Veteran Freelancer Quits Over CNet Management

stewy

White Man said:
I don't know if you know about it, but there's this thing called eating, and we people have to do it in order to do this thing we call living. In some cases, we have to delay taking a principled stance because we don't like being in this state we call homelessness. I'm sorry if you don't understand any of this, but I'm not familiar with what it is like to be what we call retarded.

Of course, if you'd read Frank's post above, you'd see none of this is actually the case. Sorry Frank, but this all sounds a bit more like grandstanding for no good reason. Why post something so indignant so long after the fact other than to stoke the fires of a story that's pretty much run its course?

stewy said:
Why post something so indignant so long after the fact other than to stoke the fires of a story that's pretty much run its course?
I wasn't happy with the conclusion to the C|Net situation. Not that I think this blog will provoke anything further, but isn't it better to leave things said than to let the blogosphere make sensationalist assumptions?

Gowans

Good Luck Mosaic, all it takes is a few people to stand by their convictions and not silently concent to this kind of thing.

Hope you find plenty of other guys to chuck you some fat wads of $$$ :D

Diablos

Thinking about the whole ordeal still pisses me off. I can't believe they fired the guy for giving an honest review. It's a free country, he should be able to say whatever he wants, especially if he's not clowning around and truly writing how he feels.

All I can say is that I hope this getting so much attention has a lasting negative impact on the K&L series, Eidos as a whole (seriously, what have they ever done that's so great), and while I'm at it, CNet. Fuck 'em.

mosaic, kudos to you. Good luck out there.

mosaic said:
I'm honestly surprised Kotaku, Ripten, and any other sites are bringing this to lite... but yes, it's me, and yes, I'm no longer freelancing for GameSpot.

Why didn't I do it a month ago? I did, I just didn't post about it. My last review was turned in December 17th... fulfilling promises I made. I'm an asshole, but I do what I say I'm gonna do. I only bothered to post in my GameSpot blog now because Alex finally let the staff know. Perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Eh, I admit, I wanted to get a parting jab in at CNet for ruining a choice gig for me.

My reviews are dull and lifeless? Hmmm, do I tell you to eat paint or explain that GameSpot has a structure they prefer writers to follow? We're allowed fleeting glimpses of personality, but by and large the commandment is "keep it concise, keep it straight." In the past, I've written for other magazines and sites that allowed more personality to shine through. I'm only about 70% as dull as my GameSpot reviews suggest. *grin* Also, eat paint.

And hey, here's some skinny for ya... I've been sitting on my ass the last 3 weeks playing games and sleeping a lot... I've had a couple inquiries thrown my way that I need to follow-up on, but basically don't have anything new lined up yet. Yes, I jumped ship without a life vest. This isn't the first time. Thankfully, I live in the midwest where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap, and my last CNet check will carry me a good 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer if I'm a tightwad. I'm going to start "knocking on doors" Monday. Who knows where I'll end up. Might just get a job with bennies locally.

I don't know what the staff's plans are. I do know they're feeling mighty isolated ever since management showed that it's unwilling to take its employees' and users' concerns into account. It's kind of like the first time a young child sees his dad punch his mom. Reality=shattered. I also know that San Francisco is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities to reside in. You don't just quit willy-nilly unless you have the resources to do so. Or you live in a box (or Sam Bishop's couch).
You did the right thing. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

stewy said:
Of course, if you'd read Frank's post above, you'd see none of this is actually the case. Sorry Frank, but this all sounds a bit more like grandstanding for no good reason. Why post something so indignant so long after the fact other than to stoke the fires of a story that's pretty much run its course?

Did you really read his post?

The guy made up his mind a while ago. He fulfilled professional obligations he had to the company.

Do you also realize that the site was pretty much on hiatus for the past three weeks?

GameGamer

Zzoram said:
Provo also directly targeted the management of Gamespot and CNet in order to defend his fellow writers at Gamespot by saying, "The Gamespot staff did not fire Jeff. The Gamespot staff are NOT corrupt. Gamespot itself is NOT the problem. CNet is. CNet's management is."

Posted by Clayton Ashley at 1:45 AM

Now that.... was probably a big mistake.

He may be needing some lawyer money for that line.

The guy is a >>freelancer<<.

He could have just stopped taking the work.

This move just shows the usual "look at me!!!!" problem of most press people.

This is silly.

Flavius

GameGamer said:
Now that.... was probably a big mistake.

He may be needing some lawyer money for that line.

No he won't.

It's clearly his opinion.

That, and he's more than likely correct.

Best wishes, Frank. You went out the way most people only dream of doing. I would never push someone in a direction that caused them to be sans paycheck, but at the same time, I greatly respect those who follow their own moral compass as opposed to towing the company line.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
NEW RULE:

When quitting a job, make it public news in order to let your future employers know exactly how you'll be in the event that you quit their job, too.

Dead Man

PantherLotus said:
NEW RULE:

When quitting a job, make it public news in order to let your future employers know exactly how you'll be in the event that you quit their job, too.

Meh. If I were a media outlet interested in journalistic standards and integrity, that little rant would not bother me one bit.

Edit:spelling

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
PantherLotus said:
NEW RULE:

Only corrupt employers would have a problem with what was written there.

Zonar

mosaic said:
I'm honestly surprised Kotaku, Ripten, and any other sites are bringing this to lite... but yes, it's me, and yes, I'm no longer freelancing for GameSpot.

Why didn't I do it a month ago? I did, I just didn't post about it. My last review was turned in December 17th... fulfilling promises I made. I'm an asshole, but I do what I say I'm gonna do. I only bothered to post in my GameSpot blog now because Alex finally let the staff know. Perhaps I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Eh, I admit, I wanted to get a parting jab in at CNet for ruining a choice gig for me.

My reviews are dull and lifeless? Hmmm, do I tell you to eat paint or explain that GameSpot has a structure they prefer writers to follow? We're allowed fleeting glimpses of personality, but by and large the commandment is "keep it concise, keep it straight." In the past, I've written for other magazines and sites that allowed more personality to shine through. I'm only about 70% as dull as my GameSpot reviews suggest. *grin* Also, eat paint.

And hey, here's some skinny for ya... I've been sitting on my ass the last 3 weeks playing games and sleeping a lot... I've had a couple inquiries thrown my way that I need to follow-up on, but basically don't have anything new lined up yet. Yes, I jumped ship without a life vest. This isn't the first time. Thankfully, I live in the midwest where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap, and my last CNet check will carry me a good 2 to 3 months. Maybe longer if I'm a tightwad. I'm going to start "knocking on doors" Monday. Who knows where I'll end up. Might just get a job with bennies locally.

I don't know what the staff's plans are. I do know they're feeling mighty isolated ever since management showed that it's unwilling to take its employees' and users' concerns into account. It's kind of like the first time a young child sees his dad punch his mom. Reality=shattered. I also know that San Francisco is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE cities to reside in. You don't just quit willy-nilly unless you have the resources to do so. Or you live in a box (or Sam Bishop's couch).

This Man deserves a tag.

Flavius

PantherLotus said:
NEW RULE:

Nah.

I think it's much better to just keep your mouth shut when you see something clearly wrong in your working environment.

That way everything stays the same, and everyone feigns happiness.

2DMention

Banned
Hope he didn't burn his bridges.

I don't even read critic reviews of games; I rely on impressions from multiple message boards, blogs, and when I can, borrow from a friend or rent the game.

Frank is a good man, a good writer, and obviously a hard worker. I'm sad (but not surprised) to see him go, and I wish him the very best luck. One day I will get him to reconsider his opinion of Milon's Secret Castle, one of the greatest NES games.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
stewy said:
he thought about it? maybe lining up new work?

good stuff. I have not really read a GS review in ages either. They just dont have any credibility anymore its like someone actually reading a Gamepro review.

who does that?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gantz said:
who the fuck cares about gamespot freelancers?! :lol

gantzdino.jpg

6.8 forever, mos.

mosaic

go eat paint
stewy said:
You know, Greg, as someone that's been freelancing longer than I have, and who has also experienced the seedier side of the industry, I'm kind of surprised to see this coming from you.

So let me re-iterate... I didn't make the GameSpot blog post with the intention that Kotaku or other sites would make a big deal out of it. I'd rather they didn't, but c'est la vie. If I wanted to make a big deal about it, I would've made the post weeks ago and fired off e-mails. See, I like closure. It's one of my traits/flaws. I wanted to post a goodbye. That was the main impetus. Maybe I was naive to think the net wouldn't latch onto it. OK, I was definitely naive there. Lesson=learned.

Whatever bridges I've burnt aren't in editorial, at least not at GameSpot. I've been assured of that. Management can bite me. Now, if a prospective outlet fears giving me work because I don't shut up like a good boy, so be it. I wouldn't want to work there anyway. I'm not worried about my ability to find work. I'm not picky--and I'm not dead set on finding industry work if push comes to shove.

To the poster who wonders if I'll incur legal trouble from the statements I made in the post: I doubt it. There's a reason I used the phrasing "I believe" in there. I'm at least somewhat familiar with libel law. My beliefs, right or wrong, are my beliefs. I quit based upon what I believe. I'd like to think I've been pretty good at keeping privileged information to myself, and to only discuss what's already become common knowledge. Although, the nice thing about being a freelancer is I never signed any sort of confidentiality agreements. Still, I've been quite wary about not getting my friends in trouble for confiding in me.

Thank you, all, for the well wishes.

And to those who criticized me, thank you too. You have every right to call me out based on what you believe... though I'd feed you paint chips if I could... maybe.... I'm cranky, you know.

Flavius

stewy said:

I don't post much around here, so I didn't know who you were until I clicked your profile.

Yikes, are you still writing about games yourself? Do you really believe the story has "run its course"?

I'm not saying that you should be joining anyone on the soapbox, but your post comes off like a cheap shot from someone who doesn't apparently care about their integrity, journalistic or otherwise, being somehow compromised. I'm sure that's not the case, but I fail to follow your logic of "speak quickly, or forever hold your peace."

Lilsnubby

Gaming has become too big to allow twerpy game reviewers to give a bad review to a game thats supposed to be good (i.e. sell well) :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mosaic: Dude, how the hell did you review 100+ games a year man? Hell, the vast majority of this forum won't even play 100 games this entire generation.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Kintaro said:
Mosaic: Dude, how the hell did you review 100+ games a year man? Hell, the vast majority of this forum won't even play 100 games this entire generation.
That's why I cringe inside when I think about the job of game reviewing. How can you play so many games? How can you drive yourself to finish them all?

Zzoram

Crushed said:
That's why I cringe inside when I think about the job of game reviewing. How can you play so many games? How can you drive yourself to finish them all?

I think the key is that they often don't finish them all. Especially not the crappy budget/license games that likely make up the majority of their reviews.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kintaro said:

If it's your job...

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
gooooooo freelancers!!!

I support any freelancer just as I support the WGA :). It will only benefit me in the future with people speaking their mind and standing up for the writers. I don't want to "officially" enter the industry (even though I have been working within it for the past 6 years) with corrupt management hounding me.

So, congrats Mosaic on releasing some of that steam that you probably have been holding back for awhile now.

Zzoram

SaggyMonkey said:
Or maybe he could work for a site that loads?

Zing!

Seriously though, I love 1UP, but their terribly slow website makes me go elsewhere when I want to read previews/reviews and see new videos.

xaosslug

White Man said:
I don't know if you know about it, but there's this thing called eating, and we people have to do it in order to do this thing we call living. In some cases, we have to delay taking a principled stance because we don't like being in this state we call homelessness. I'm sorry if you don't understand any of this, but I'm not familiar with what it is like to be what we call retarded.

:lol

minus_273

Banned
Zzoram said:
Whoa, he's mosaic? That's one of the few names I do recognize here.

yeah and he is also the one who broke the gerstman -gate news on this forum and said he was reconsidering working for gamespot back in that thread. Its funny the kind of stuff people post when they have no idea who the person is

mosaic

go eat paint
Kintaro said:
It's SLIGHTLY easier when your focus tends to be handheld stuff. Remember, up until the DS/PSP came along, most portable games were rather light on features. Even now, the lion's share can be plowed through in one or two sittings, tops. I did a ton of Virtual Console stuff this year too, which was "easy" considering GameSpot mandated I didn't spend a ton of time playing/writing, and because I've played damn near all of the games before. I came into my own during the NES, Genesis, and SNES era, and that's where my heart still very much rests. 2D is Love.

The hard part is chugging out 1,000-ish words per day, or every other day. But you get used to churning it out. You jot down your thoughts, you refine them, you make sure the spell checker did its job, and you hope your editor and the copy edit department will catch any remaining rough spots.

Well, actually, the REAL hard part is coping with fatigue. You don't get much time to play the games you genuinely like, and you spend a ton of time playing dogs. I didn't play any games for 3 whole weeks in July because I was just plain sick of it all.

Good luck, mosaic.

I enjoyed the little convo we had in one of the Gamespot threads about why the Shenmue review went to a freelancer. Instead of responding defensively to my question (like others might have), you gave me a gracious and informative answer. I appreciate that. (I still disagree with the 6.8/7.8 though.) ;)

It's great that there are still people who care more about their personal integrity than their bank balance. I think we all know which one will matter at the end of your life.

mosaic

go eat paint
If you guys are going to post gigantic dinosaur images in this thread, then I not-so-humbly request you post one that features a dinosaur singing a duet with a bikini-clad Kelly Clarkson. Bonus points if there's a cat in the image... triple points if "yellow guy" is in there assuming his well-established role.

Kintaro said:

i reviewed 1500 game design submissions in 3 years :D

Lilsnubby

Game reviewers often get cliff notes and/or saved games. They play the first 3 levels and maybe the end and then start typing up the review. Of course the bigger games get most of a play thru but if you're game isn't one of the top 10 or so, those first 3 levels oughta be the best ones :lol

mosaic

go eat paint
Lilsnubby said:
Game reviewers often get cliff notes and/or saved games. They play the first 3 levels and maybe the end and then start typing up the review. Of course the bigger games get most of a play thru but if you're game isn't one of the top 10 or so, those first 3 levels oughta be the best ones :lol
Sarcasm? I'd say for 1 out of every 50 games I was sent, I'd get some cheat codes or hints. I can recall perhaps a half-dozen times, tops, that I was sent a memory card with a save file on it. Most of the time, I end up with a game disc / cartridge and a brief PR blurb...

From the discussions I've had with my editors in the past, the amount of cheats and saves they're given is still very limited.

Personally, I try to finish a game before I submit a review. You know, if the game is the type that can be finished. Otherwise, I play as much as possible. I admit though, I start typing the review when I feel I have a good handle on the game. If my opinions change later on as I continue to play, I'll change my writing. My brain dictates when I start jotting words down. Sometimes, I can't get to sleep because I keep running through sentences in my head.

But I agree with you on one point: developers shouldn't save the best for last. Well, more to the point, NO ONE should have to put 20+ hours into a game before it starts getting good. Games should put out on the first date and continue to get kinkier as the relationship goes on...

Flavius

monchi-kun said:
i reviewed 1500 game design submissions in 3 years :D

No fair.

1400 of those were bald space marine FPSes.

The other 100 involved "waggle."

That job should have required no more than TWO rubber stamps. :D

Dave Long

Banned
Lilsnubby said:
I wrote for a major computer game magazine for seven years and I never once received a save game or 'cliff notes'. We played them from beginning to end and wrote the review.

Get a clue.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I wish game reviews were more laid out. The first time through a game tells me very little about how much I truly love or hate as I spend all my time just getting the mechanics down pat which doesn't always happen.

On this subject I will checkout gamespot since the actual staff had nothing to do with this, but I'm still mixed on this. Gertman should've figured something like this would happen the difference from this review from others that ticked off someone is that the hand that feeds and has power decided to do something about free speech at work. Not defending the game he wrote about ,but you figure you keep pushing buttons with reviews why should the employer which technically advertisers are in a sense put up with your crap.

unban GS and keep the boycott on that crap company. This issue if anything shows why gaming journalism needs much needed change.

Top Bottom