• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Here's what a few of the cleaned up standard cars look like. GT5 is left, GT6 is right.

ttLf9hw.jpg

o5qWJvV.jpg

It doesn't look like every standard car has gotten this treatment though.

dalin80

Banned
Uh, how about just making the progression not shit instead of leaving it and lumping in micros? For those of you who complained, we did you a "favor" by giving you the option to spend more money. You're welcome.

While I have only seen vids and rewards from the novice campaign money and prize cars seem to come pretty fast anyway. We currently don't know what the rewards are for the special missions, seasonal events or higher campaign races are but so far money looks like it comes in quite well.

GT5 v1.0 was too slow and frustrating, then they introduced the seasonal races that would give you a couple of million for a few minutes work. GT has always been a bit of a grind but the balance has just been off in the past few years.

OmegaDL50

Well lets hope with subsequent patches they implement more "cleaned up" standards.

Anything to get the low res car quality models any sort of upgrade is a good thing.

Well lets hope with subsequent patches they implement more "cleaned up" standards.

I must be the only person that finds this idea ridiculously stupid ... why waste all the extra time and man-power on assets that are unlikely to ever be seen again. They should better utilise their time creating premium models instead.

OmegaDL50

Because dividing time between developing GT7 and maintaining future updates for GT6, what is the easier task to do? It's not "stupid" to think this through.

PD only has a staff of 100 to 150 members total. It's pretty much a given that newer premium models will be created for GT7.

GT6 is just releasing NOW and thus most while GT7 will be in the works for a PS4, they'll still continuously support GT6 for a period of time.

It's still a far easier task to clean up existing models, instead creating entirely new models from scratch. I'd prefer to discuss without unnecessary ad homimem, thanks. Leave that garbage for GameFAQs.

Umm, they didn't "leave" it, they supposedly fixed it. There's multiple posts suggesting that money is not an issue in this game. Micros are there for people who don't want to go deep into the career mode.

While I have only seen vids and rewards from the novice campaign money and prize cars seem to come pretty fast anyway. We currently don't know what the rewards are for the special missions, seasonal events or higher campaign races are but so far money looks like it comes in quite well.

GT5 v1.0 was too slow and frustrating, then they introduced the seasonal races that would give you a couple of million for a few minutes work. GT has always been a bit of a grind but the balance has just been off in the past few years.

The single player campaign in GT5 was hindered by a lot more than the doling out of Cr. That is why I was irked by that PD response. It completely overlooks their huge Aspec issues. Which from all the screens and leaks so far seems to be the exact same banal list if unimaginative events. So again, thanks PD for the option to buy my way through another dull slog. Paying more money should never be a solution to your game design. Their response to those complaints should have been along the lines of, "we completely overhauled Aspec to deliver a more rewarding experience for both hardcore and casual fans. " not "pay if you find it boring." Too much Cr. can be a problem too. It could devalue the experience for the hardcore.

creyas

Oh man. Just realized stores here are closed on GT6 release day. Probably the only way to play it right away would be to buy digital.

That'd mean no PS3 GT6 bundle for me and running it on a launch model. Wonder if it'd last the weekend..

OmegaDL50

As promised, this is the issue I was talking about earlier that could potentially become a problem.

- http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/has-gt6-been-hacked-already.291164/

I don't care how people play the game on their own time offline away from everyone else, but if 10,000 horsepower cars with ludicrous grip and handling come back because of this, public and open games will be ruined forever.

At least PP / Car restricted rooms and password protected lobbies should circumvent most of this.

Solal

There is an very interesting new stuff on the Trophy list (on ps4 and PS app at least...did not try it on PS3 yet): for every trophy you can see the percentage of players who got it. (i am not talking about MT... just found it interesting for the analysis of the GT experience and the way PD may have used this data)

In the case of GT5, it's even more interesting as you can see where people stopped playing the career mode.

Only 25,4% finished the Beginner championship...that means 74,6% did not even get to Amateur. I think it's a huge issue...especially if they resold their game!

Other numbers (just for fun):
1.5% got to level 40 in A-Spec (how long must it take to get there? Anyone knows? I stopped at level 24 iirc)
2.4% got to level 40 in B-Spec (surprisingly high imo)
28,2% got to the ending video (I don't get that: how can they see it when only 5,5 finished extreme?)
5,5% finished extreme champ
11,4% finished the expert champ
20,7% finished the professional champ
22,5% finished the amateur champ
25,4% finished the Beginner champ
14,1% got the S licence
19,1% got the IA licence
24,3% got the IB licence
29,9% got the IC licence
39,6% got the A licence
52,9% got the B licence

Another surprising number: only 73,3% of players won a race in A-Spec. How could 27% not even win a race?!

Of course, these numbers are mostly about the career mode: some players may have played hundred of hours in Arcade or online.... but it seems to show that the very first hours of play discouraged a lot of players.

I think, that s just MY opinion, that slow menus and the grinding are in cause for that.
The fact that so few people even made the licence tests seems to show that this gaming mechanic does not work anymore... maybe players just got fed up with it (after 5 games, that's not really surprising)

I was surprised that 23,7% of players bought a astronomical car (I guess they are 20 millions ones?)...I would have thought it was way less than that. (I don't really understand this number as only 11,7% got an astronomical amount of money, and we know it was limited to 20 millions... maybe I misinterpret this)

Anyway: go have a look on your trophy collection to have all the numbers. interesting stuff.

abcvita2012

Neo Member
Guys, My first post on NeoGAF :D

The game is a piece of cake compared to GT5. Golding license tests doesn't even take effort. I was wondering if I'm playing GT or another game.

However, Driving is fantastic in this game. Miles better than GT5.

Kryten

Is it just me or is the digital version of this actually...well...ok?

• GT-R NISMO GT3 15th Anniversary Edition.
• R8 LMS ultra 15th Anniversary Edition.
• Corvette Stingray (C7) 15th Anniversary Edition.
• Model S Signature Performance 15th Anniversary Edition.
• Viper GTS 15th Anniversary Edition.

Celebrate 15 years of Gran Turismo® with Gran Turismo® 6 Special Edition and get:
• 20 cars with special liveries and enhancements.
• Custom paint chips, race suit, helmet and PSN avatars.

All for about the retail price (here in New Zealand, anyway!). EB have the game for $15 more and that version comes with the 1 million credit bonus, but you know, discs. Do PS3 digital purchases pre-download, at all?

Arklite

The game is a piece of cake compared to GT5. Golding license tests doesn't even take effort. I was wondering if I'm playing GT or another game.

Wow, that's a shame. It was fun coming back to those weeks later and testing yourself for gold times.

Because dividing time between developing GT7 and maintaining future updates for GT6, what is the easier task to do? It's not "stupid" to think this through.

It's still a far easier task to clean up existing models, instead creating entirely new models from scratch. I'd prefer to discuss without unnecessary ad homimem, thanks. Leave that garbage for GameFAQs.

In the long-term though it is essentially wasting time, I'm not doubting that it must be easier to clean-up the standards but what is the point if they eventually plan to remodel to their new premium quality, they already have enough issues to concentrate on with GT6 such as the woeful sound, damage, AI and other missing features instead.

Any of the updates planned for GT6 will most likely be a basis for GT7 ... all except the standard cars.

Solal

What about the framerate please? I am a bit worried of the cockpit view.

Mokubba

Is Apex II worth the import?

Loved what I've read of the first book and will gladly take an updated version but I know I'll miss out on DLC and the anniversary cars if I import.

FrankWza

Is Apex II worth the import?

Loved what I've read of the first book and will gladly take an updated version but I know I'll miss out on DLC and the anniversary cars if I import.

Maybe someone can scan that bitch into a pdf? Be nice. First one was awesome

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Judging from the demo and other footage: The shadows are still there, but they're less noticeable. Probably rendered at a lower resolution but heavily blurred over. Result: Less jaggy (criticized in GT5) but also less pronounced shadows.

I put in GT5 just a few days ago & the shadows inside the car were not jaggy at all.
They might have patched it?

Dead Man

The way the 24 hour races were handled in GT3 and GT5 were unrealistic anyways. The game expected the player to handle the entire race by themselves.

Not even in real life endurance races does a single driver, drive for all 24 hours, in fact official rules state that Endurance Races are handled with a team of drivers and must swap in rotation.

GT4 handled this somewhat accurately in that you could swap with the B-Spec AI driver, and then resume control later on and such.
GT4's B-Spec was perfect. Well, it wasn't, it was slow as shit, but the implementation was outstanding. Switch at any time in any race by going to the pits. Simple, useful, and for endurance races not horribly unrealistic. 5 was just a total clusterfuck. Drivers going slow unless you stay on them over the commands, totally seperate, no option for switching in endurance races.

If they have gone back to the system from 4 but removed endurance races proper that will be a kick in the guts.

GT4 was a very special game.

absolutely was, to get close to 1000 cars at relatively cutting edge graphics (especially with forza 1 only being 30 fps) was amazing, that and the game was loaded with events and features

Did you drive GT5 in cockpit view? Because in GT4 the only alternative was bumper view, and that naturally feels faster.

i did but it still didn't seem as fast as gt4 did, gt5 actually felt a lot more like gt3's sense of speed overall. i recall driving the long straight on nurburgring in gt4 was harrowing (the really loud wind noise helped, is that back in gt6?) but felt a lot tamer in gt5 by comparison.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
+1

No, and the first time loading a new track can be quite long, up to 3 minutes for me.

Why the hell are they so fucking stupid! At least give me an option. I don't want to buy the digital edition and I won't. How much of the game can you install? GT5 2.0 went up to 16GB afaik, while it was like 8GB on day1.
Again, I might remember wrongly.

TTG

So, now that it looks like some people have their hands on the game, no Mclaren P1 or La Ferrari?

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
By looks of it the grinding part seems a bit toned-down? From license test (see abcvita2012 post), shorter endurance races, cheaper cars... hmmmmmm

Do we have any pics of the old McLaren LeMans winners yet?

McLaren F1 GTR - BMW (Kokusai Kaihatsu UK Racing) '95
McLaren F1 GTR Race Car Base Model '95

By looks of it the grinding part seems a bit toned-down? From license test (see abcvita2012 post), shorter endurance races, cheaper cars... hmmmmmm

That sounds A-OK with me. More time with new content, less time having to use the same stuff.

If a person wants to drive the same car on the same track over and over again, just play arcade

So, now that it looks like some people have their hands on the game, no Mclaren P1 or La Ferrari?

Someone mentioned that MS paid for time exclusivity for the La Ferrari as some trailer during their launch event said that it was exclusive for a set amount of months.

TTG

Someone mentioned that MS paid for time exclusivity for the La Ferrari as some trailer during their launch event said that it was exclusive for a set amount of months.

That's frustrating. When was the last time Polyphony ended up NOT on the shit end of one of these exclusivity deals? What's more interesting is what the number has to be for Ferrari to even draw up the contract and negotiate some terms. Mclaren gets to be in the commercials and on the cover, so that seems to be somewhat worth it, but whatever nickel and dime price(relatively for a car manufacturer) went to Ferrari... surely having your brand new supercar in a game that will sell millions is worth more.

Mobius 1

That's frustrating. When was the last time Polyphony ended up NOT on the shit end of one of these exclusivity deals? What's more interesting is what the number has to be for Ferrari to even draw up the contract and negotiate some terms. Mclaren gets to be in the commercials and on the cover, so that seems to be somewhat worth it, but whatever nickel and dime price(relatively for a car manufacturer) went to Ferrari... surely having your brand new supercar in a game that will sell millions is worth more.

Given Polyphony's high standing with the auto industry, I would imagine they would prefer to stay neutral and not display preferential treatment towards any manufacturer.

TTG

I don't think Mazda would feel snubbed if they found out Polyphony had to fight for Porsche and all they got was a Christmas card. It's a small number of cars in the end, but to a car nerd it makes a difference.

Also, no new additions to the open wheel race cars? That's the one type of racing that I can name off hand that's not represented well.

amar212

I am now very convinced how PD imagined GT6 with the effort to balance the game for 2 main groups of players: new players that never played GT game before and experienced players.

First, traditional separation of "Arcade" and "GT Mode" does not exist. Online modes (still inactive), Arcade modes (races, time trials and drift trials), Career mode, Special Events, Tuning, etc. is cross-integrated. I find how Career mode is primarly aimed at new and casual players in order to present them with logics of GT as a game, learn them driving (through License tests and various Mission races that are integrated into Carrer mode) and give them a chance to prepare themselves for the Online racing. Career races now have restrictions in place (PP and tires) and I think it is move towards "learners". In the same time, experienced players can always restrict themselves and have interesting racing for Trophies and learning new tracks, etc.

However, in my opinion, GT6 will be primarily oriented towards all Community features, Online and Multiplayer racing and that is the main place where players will earn credits and find true challenges. I feel that PD decided to make GT6 a "turning point" for the series where more and more features will be aimed towards online and community. From very transparent Quick Online Races system, Seasonal Events, Open Lobbies and still unknown Community features, to upcoming Course Maker functionalities, GPS Course Maker, GT Mobile Application and such. In my opinion, the single-player offline modes are there only to learn new plsyers how to drive and to give old players some nostalgic modes to maintain legacy aspect. But true essence of GT6 will be online and everything points to that.

GT6 is even titled as the "Online Car Life Simulator" on the official pages and I think PD is very transparent and focused on direction they intend to take GT series to in the future.

Also, I really hope how at least some kind of Race Creator will be introduced at some point, because the AI is really challenging on the higest level (10) in Arcade races and I think how blasting with them would be even more satisfactory if some prizes would be introduced (GTPSP system comes to mind).

At this point I am mostly interested at activation of Community and Online aspects so we can get a complete picture of the game in its total. As I said, in my opinion GT6 will be mostly focused on that part of the game that have to provide life for the game in next 2-3 years. Thursday can't come soon enough.

Seeing the apparent improvements to the standard models makes me feel a lot better about the fact that they still exist. Too bad not every model got that treatment, but if a significant portion have been upgraded (I'm personally hoping my beloved Daihatsu Midget II is among them) then I'll be satisfied.

Anyone have screenshots of the generic cockpit view for the standard models?

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Given Polyphony's high standing with the auto industry, I would imagine they would prefer to stay neutral and not display preferential treatment towards any manufacturer.

Exactly, and it might even come as future DLC. I'd rather PD stay away from these exclusive deals cause' no one benefits from that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The updated legacy models are very obvious and a huge improvement, despite the awful compression in the first batch of screens. The body panels now look like individual panels without the blurred and smeared seams/body lines. The low poly aspects of the cars (exhaust tips, spoilers, wheels) are all much better. The mirrors are more detailed, as are the shadows, and the reflections in the mirrors are now there.

Texture detail on the cars is also higher too, and as a result, it looks like the lighting (reflections et al) benefit from that. Can't wait to see some better screens of the game.

Neo 007

The main thing that has "pulled" me into GT games has been the huge scope for "Hot Lapping" with the shere number of car/track combinations available it provides this in spades.

Buy the way...There still is Time Trial mode yes?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Seeing those standards upgraded is making me take the plunge. I can't wait for GT7, must have GT fix NOW!

Top Bottom